Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Which most people are oaky with, depending of course on the political stance of the punched person.
    Source please....

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    assault is an attempt to initiate harmful or offensive contact with a person, or a threat to do so.

No harm done, and about offensive thing, some people are able say its offensive for them if you breath to loudly next to them. Make a child stand without hurting him is not assault. its education. Even handshake could be specified as offensive
    Yeah, you have no clue what you are talking about. You cannot be coerced in any way or forced to stand for something you don't want to. Freedom of speech and expression.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Man I wish I acted like a little cunt back in High School, I would've been able to make money off inconsequential shit as well.
    So you think just sitting and not disrupting is acting like a cunt? I think the person that acted like the cunt was the teacher that broke both the law and this students' rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    or how about just fucking standing for the fucking pledge?
    i mean for fucks sake it takes all of 60 secs. most of you spend ten times that picking your fucking nose in class.
    your mentalities are for shit. hypocrites.
    No one has to, not even this kid. The teacher was the one in the wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    I would be a parent my kids would respect.
    Your kids would likely be the next Menendez brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysho View Post
    You just got done saying that there should be no criminal charges because what the teacher did couldn't be considered causing any harm. Now it's "assault" when someone triggers your lib ideology.
    The issue here is you're the one being triggered. Try not being a partisan retard for a few seconds and I'll walk you through it.

The teacher by the legal definition of assault assaulted this child. Period. Endus did not in any way shape or form or at any time say the teacher did not commit assault. What he did say is criminal charges were not warranted in his opinion. The opinion as whether or not he should be charged is literally 100% irrelevant to what the act itself was literally was assaulting the child. A relatively minor case by still assault.

Seriously man is irony lost on you?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, it it can easily be deemed assault. It would be no different than if a large black man approached you, said, "Get down on your knees, bitch" and then grabbed you, and forced you to your knees.
    If it were so "easily deemed assault," the lawsuit would already be announced. It is far different. One has clear intent to inflict harm. And what does race have to do with it? Absolutely nothing, unless you're some shithead from HuffPost.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    If it were so "easily deemed assault," the lawsuit would already be announced. It is far different. One has clear intent to inflict harm. And what does race have to do with it? Absolutely nothing, unless you're some shithead from HuffPost.
    I'm simply demonstrating that it can easily be considered assault. Would you consider the action I mentioned to be assault? I think you would.

We shall see what happens, but I'm guessing that if the teacher physically grabbed the student, and forced him to stand, he will be out of a job. That is assault, and no, not all assaults are actually prosecuted. Often times, the victim refuses to press charges. And you better believe that if there is a lawsuit, the school district will want to get out in front, and make a settlement.

I'm simply demonstrating that it can easily be considered assault. Would you consider the action I mentioned to be assault? I think you would.

We shall see what happens, but I'm guessing that if the teacher physically grabbed the student, and forced him to stand, he will be out of a job. That is assault, and no, not all assaults are actually prosecuted. Often times, the victim refuses to press charges. And you better believe that if there is a lawsuit, the school district will want to get out in front, and make a settlement.
    You show me one time when a teacher putting a kid into a standing position turned into 'assault.' I will show you video in the meantime (on my phone) of high school football coaches whacking kids on the butt, in the helmet, and in the back with various objects or extensions of their body in front of 1000+ spectators as they cheer.

No matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't make it assault.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where in the article did they claim race was an issue? The article identified the child as being Black and that was it. In my day we considered that a small detail unless the situation showed otherwise. Any race baiting you feel is in the story is merely your personal view, unless you can link the part where someone claimed it happened because they were Black..

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Where in the article did they claim race was an issue? The article identified the child as being Black and that was it. In my day we considered that a small detail unless the situation showed otherwise. Any race baiting you feel is in the story is merely your personal view, unless you can link the part where someone claimed it happened because they were Black..
    misstype....

- - - Updated - - -

You show me one time when a teacher putting a kid into a standing position turned into 'assault.' I will show you video in the meantime (on my phone) of high school football coaches whacking kids on the butt, in the helmet, and in the back with various objects or extensions of their body in front of 1000+ spectators as they cheer.

Well, let's go by the legal definition. The contact would have to be unwanted, and be cause for apprehension, offense, or physical harm. If you don't like the legal definition of words, don't blame me.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-09-19 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    No sorry, I think you misunderstood - the race comment was in response to the other guy saying "RAWR WHAT IF A LARGE BLACK MAN FORCED YOU ON YOUR KNEES" as if this is a race issue.

- - - Updated - - -

misstype....

- - - Updated - - -

Well, let's go by the legal definition. The contact would have to be unwanted, and be cause for apprehension, offense, or physical harm. If you don't like the legal definition of words, don't blame me.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault
    ...and there's your problem.

No sorry, I think you misunderstood - the race comment was in response to the other guy saying "RAWR WHAT IF A LARGE BLACK MAN FORCED YOU ON YOUR KNEES" as if this is a race issue.

- - - Updated - - -

...and there's your problem.
    First off, he infringed on the kid's First Amendment rights. That is cause for offense. Secondly, this is a child, and he is an adult manhandling him. That is cause for apprehension. It's not my problem, it's yours.

Also, you never answered my question. In that hypothetical scenario, would you consider it assault?

15+ Year Old Account
    So many things to respond to since I posted this.

Take him and make him stand is not assault. Lul
    When you lay your hands on some who is not your child, then it is assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Religious beliefs don't have a place in publicly funded schools. Disrespecting your nation in such a way while claiming that a non existent deity is the only thing you would pledge yourself to is laughable.
    I'm a full fledged atheist and that being said I respect this kid's beliefs in his God and his religion. This teacher was forcing him to do something that goes against his fundamental religious beliefs. There is no law in America that you HAVE TO salute the flag or sing the national anthem or even stand up for the national anthem. This country was founded on the freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and freedom of speech. He was exercising his right to all three of those by not saluting the flag or standing up.

assault is an attempt to initiate harmful or offensive contact with a person, or a threat to do so.

No harm done, and about offensive thing, some people are able say its offensive for them if you breath to loudly next to them. Make a child stand without hurting him is not assault. its education. Even handshake could be specified as offensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywan View Post
    how is this in any way an assult?
    This thread is so asinine.

That being said, there was hardly any assault committed. A teacher who stepped over the line, yes, but in no way was this assault. The teacher probably deserves to be written up and possibly suspended, but the garbage idiot comments like "revoke their teacher's license permanently" and "never let them work with kids again" are just blatantly stupid. (edit: noticed it was Endus that said all of that garbage, and now I'm not surprised one bit)

You really want someone punished for LIFE because a they touched a student? They can never even chaperone a field trip with their grandkid or coach a football team (which, by the way, I'm fairly certain we've all seen adults humiliate and use fear/physical acts as part of their coaching on a daily basis with no one saying a word).

To be 100% clear, within our public education there are many gray areas, and "what do we do about the Pledge" is just one of them. Every state, every school corporation, and every building-level administrator (read: principal) can have a completely different viewpoint and it can be perceived that their expectations of the teachers in classrooms are open to different levels of interpretation. Some schools require everyone to stand, some schools don't require anything. Some states don't require the pledge to be recited, some do. Some schools include a daily moment of silence, some don't.

Again - teacher was 100% over the line and shouldn't have done it. Not arguing that. Should it be scrutinized to this level of public backlash? Hardly.
    Three birds; one stone here. Both @Allora and @Bobbywan and @Leadsop need to be educated on what assault is. To do this, next time you see a police officer, spit on him and see how quickly you are arrested for assault. Yes even spitting on someone (something that doesn't physically harm someone) is assault. To put it in it's simplest explanation, assault is when you take something and put it on someone else without their permission. I work in the medical field and there have been many people fired and/or lost their professional licenses over not having permission to touch someone else.
    @Leadsop would you feel the same way if a teacher grabbed a student's ass JUST ONCE that they should be allowed around kids again? Its the same logic. This teacher has already proven she will over step boundaries when she grabbed the student and physically made him stand up. And these adults that use fear/physical acts as part of coaching are getting reprimanded left and right. School districts aren't putting up with that bullshit anymore. Colleges are banning hazing from frats & sororities for the same reasoning. Finally I will agree with you that this is one of the gray areas and that every state/school/principal is different in doing the Pledge daily. The thing is they can't force anyone to do it because it is the child's right to NOT do it regardless of the reason the child doesn't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    I would be a parent my kids would respect.
    I respected my mom until the day she died. Reason for that, she allowed me to be myself and didn't force her beliefs on me. She challenged me to think for myself and be myself. She loved me for who I am. Yes she disciplined me as a kid but it was for misbehaving and things along those lines. She didn't coddle me. She didn't shield me from the world. She allowed me to experience life and that included the bad sides of life. She was there for me when all was said and done without judgement on me.

My father, on the other hand, tried to be a dictator to us kids growing up. He was never there emotionally for us (still is). He was barely there for us physically because he was always doing something else instead (still isn't). He was very judgemental (still is). Hell he chose being an over-the-road truck driver instead of a local driver with a slightly lower pay even after my mother begged him to drive locally to spend more time with her and us kids. I have absolutely no respect for the man to this day. There are other more personal reasons I have no respect for him but I'd rather not get into those here.

The parents have said they want to see change so that this sort of thing doesn't happen to anyone again. They have not stated they wish to pursue a civil lawsuit in the matter. Even if they did plan on it, it doesn't mean that it would be announced right now. Right now they are dealing with what happened to their son and seeking to reprimand the teacher who did this. And to be honest, I wouldn't blame them if they did sue over this. That teacher had no right to put one finger on that kid for any reason what so ever other than breaking up a physical fight between students.

I refer you to my comments above regarding this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I've helped educate at risk youth and delivered meals to the elderly. I've helped educate on animals and rescue them. Clearly me not giving a damn about the pledge makes me some disrespectful anti American punk though
    You must be being careful with you talking of such things Comrade Crissi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So many things to respond to since I posted this.

When you lay your hands on some who is not your child, then it is assault.
    Not true. Blatantly not true, in fact. There was ZERO intent to instill fear or cause any sort of harm, let alone distress.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    @Leadsop need to be educated on what assault is. would you feel the same way if a teacher grabbed a student's ass JUST ONCE that they should be allowed around kids again? Its the same logic. .
    It's hardly the same logic. That's a night and day opposite situation. Yes, a teacher who pulls a kid up to a standing position should not be banned from youth organizations for life. An adult who grabs a kid's ass certainly should.

- - - Updated - - -

First off, he infringed on the kid's First Amendment rights. That is cause for offense. Secondly, this is a child, and he is an adult manhandling him. That is cause for apprehension. It's not my problem, it's yours.

Also, you never answered my question. In that hypothetical scenario, would you consider it assault?
    In THAT hypothetical situation, possibly.

Now, you never answered my question... why did you have to include that it was a large black man? You wanted to race bait.

Not true. Blatantly not true, in fact. There was ZERO intent to instill fear or cause any sort of harm, let alone distress.

It's hardly the same logic. That's a night and day opposite situation. Yes, a teacher who pulls a kid up to a standing position should not be banned from youth organizations for life. An adult who grabs a kid's ass certainly should.

- - - Updated - - -

In THAT hypothetical situation, possibly.

Now, you never answered my question... why did you have to include that it was a large black man? You wanted to race bait.
    More than anything, it was to push you to display your own personal biases... Mission Accomplished.

In both cases, it would be assault, even if no physical harm were actually causes. Assault can also be contact with intent of threat of harm, or that which causes offense or apprehension. That's why groping a woman's breasts is considered assault.

How can you say with certainty there was zero intent to cause fear or distress?

There was clearly an intent behind touching the child. He wanted to force him to stand against his will. Like the scenario I pointed out, even though no physical harm occurred, so why the double standard?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-09-19 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Yeah, you have no clue what you are talking about. You cannot be coerced in any way or forced to stand for something you don't want to. Freedom of speech and expression.

Your kids would likely be the next Menendez brothers.
    There are millions of Americans grew up this way that are the heart of the country, good citizens, your point of view is a terrible one, you must be a liberal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Strict, punishment oriented parents are not usually the ones that command the respect of their children.
    Absolutely not true, strict parents have the respect of their children, strict withen reason, there are some who take it too far, those kids go wild when they get the taste of freedom.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Parents, who feel the flag is nothing to respect, should teach their kids to stand out of respect for others. But the teacher went too far. The kid is not a employee of the school district or under a contract with them. The teacher could have had a conversation with the parents of the kid if they wanted to try to resolve it. However, no kid attending a public school, should be forced to stand if they do not want to. This is a area the parents are responsible for. But that is one major problem with this country, a lack of responsible parents.

just stand up for the flag man.

don't make it about politics, do it out of respect for the people that have served and the people that have died for your right to talk shit on the internet.

or whatever else you people do.

oh OT: dont snatch the kid out of the chair man, just give the whole class extra homework on American history. bet he stands up tomorrow
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

15+ Year Old Account
    HuffPost.... really.
    Current Rig
    Intel i5 3570K | Corsair H100 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | R9 390 8GB | G.Skill 16GB | Intel 520 Series 180GB | 8TB in HDDs
    Seasonic X-760 760W | 27" U2711 Dell | Corsair 600T | Logitech Z506 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I think you are confusing respect with fear.
    Which can go hand in hand. If you know a dog might bite you, you respect it out of fear of being bitten. Not saying fear is the best way to get respect, but it is not always a bad thing to fear something because you fear what may happen if you do not.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I think you are confusing respect with fear.
    Nope
    10/char