Thread: New rig time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Case: Coolmaster K350 Gaming Case
    Proc: I5 -7600k 3.8hhz 6mb
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7
    Ram: 16gb Corsair Veng (Assuming 2133 MHZ is sufficient)
    Card: 8gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
    Hard disk 1: 250GB Samsung Evo
    Hard Disk 2: 1TB WD Black
    PSU: Corsair 650W VS series
    Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X if sufficient
    -That case is pretty low quality and a lot of fluff. Expect broken parts and quick wear and tear. I dunno what your budget is though so can't really make a good suggestion.
    -There can be a case made to go for 2400 but that's up to you if worth the money.
    -He was asking what type of 1080 earlier as in the manufacturer ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI, etc. not NVIDIA. They're all NVIDIA. Unless you're talking a reference card. Curious why you dropped to a 1070?
    -IDK if the 250 evo is the 960 or 850 but honestly you won't see a difference. NVME isn't really worth it.
    -Some people may suggest seasonic but I'd advise at least picking an 80+ bronze regardless of PSU brand.
    -Solid cooler for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    -That case is pretty low quality and a lot of fluff. Expect broken parts and quick wear and tear. I dunno what your budget is though so can't really make a good suggestion.
    -There can be a case made to go for 2400 but that's up to you if worth the money.
    -He was asking what type of 1080 earlier as in the manufacturer ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI, etc. not NVIDIA. They're all NVIDIA. Unless you're talking a reference card. Curious why you dropped to a 1070?
    -IDK if the 250 evo is the 960 or 850 but honestly you won't see a difference. NVME isn't really worth it.
    -Some people may suggest seasonic but I'd advise at least picking an 80+ bronze regardless of PSU brand.
    -Solid cooler for the price.
    About 1200-1300. Retail price its about 1500-1700 (basically knock 20% off the final product)

I've just rechecked the builder, they have Palit or Zotac branded? assume it's that - missed it the first few times as it's a tiny title above all the cards.

Dropped to 1070 based on what everyone said.

Case wise, what about the coolmaster HAF 912?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Buying an I5 7600K or even an I7 7700K is just plain dumb right now. Neither will be compatible with the new Intel chipsets launching shortly, the 200 series chipset is basically dead (i.e no upgrade paths available) a month from now.

Either buy a Ryzen 5 or 7, or wait a few weeks for coffee lake chips to arrive.
    You cant argue with this OP. Im sure you want this system to last a while. getting a quad core especially at the price of a 7600K is not wise spending. At least get the 7700k if your stuck on Intel. If your not go R5 1600 or R7 1700.

About 1200-1300. Retail price its about 1500-1700 (basically knock 20% off the final product)

I've just rechecked the builder, they have Palit or Zotac branded? assume it's that - missed it the first few times as it's a tiny title above all the cards.

Dropped to 1070 based on what everyone said.

Its old and outdated. Cable management isnt that great. The newer CM cases are decent.

EDIT: I jumped on PC partpicker just to give you a idea of what your looking at on the Ryzen side, note you can change any of these parts out based on brand you like. Just dont skimp on the PSU. Seasonic is one of, if not the best psu manufacturer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($196.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-GAMING 5 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.95 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($459.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1334.36
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-19 08:52 EDT-0400

Last edited by moremana; 2017-09-19 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Its old and outdated. Cable management isnt that great. The newer CM cases are decent.
    Also quite a few complaints of rattling noises.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can wait it out, but I'm curious once the 6 cores come out, the new Mobos they need - are they going to be equivalent to whats on the market now? will they launch around the same time? Or is it going to be a basic one that launches then two months down the line a superior one, rinse and repeat etc
    IIRC the Z370 mobos will be launched alongside Coffee Lake, no waiting planned on that front. The Z390s will come out later on, but they are pretty much already designed for the 10nm CPUs, and Ice Lake won't come out before late 2018. It's not clear if the 390s will support Coffee Lake as well, meaning they'd be usable both with a 14nm and a 10nm architecture, but I doubt that's the case. As things look now, it's most likely Coffee Lake will get its "own" motherboard, different than everything else, which is kinda sad, but it's also the only new cpu you'll get for a year. If that's confirmed, then we'll get the motherboards right now, no reason to stagger them.

Edit: there are rumors about MSI releasing a gaming Z370 mobo right alongside the new CPUs, can't confirm it yet tho.
    Last edited by arel00; 2017-09-19 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    IIRC the Z370 mobos will be launched alongside Coffee Lake, no waiting planned on that front. The Z390s will come out later on, but they are pretty much already designed for the 10nm CPUs, and Ice Lake won't come out before late 2018. It's not clear if the 390s will support Coffee Lake as well, meaning they'd be usable both with a 14nm and a 10nm architecture, but I doubt that's the case. As things look now, it's most likely Coffee Lake will get its "own" motherboard, different than everything else, which is kinda sad, but it's also the only new cpu you'll get for a year. If that's confirmed, then we'll get the motherboards right now, no reason to stagger them.

Edit: there are rumors about MSI releasing a gaming Z370 mobo right alongside the new CPUs, can't confirm it yet tho.
    Z390 will support coffeelake and are scheduled for Q2 2018 release for Icelake as well. Point is moot though, OP doesnt want to wait past Coffeelake's time frame.

there is a thread discussing all this here.
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-09-20 at 03:00 AM.

Z390 will support coffeelake and are scheduled for Q2 2018 release for Icelake as well. Point is moot though, OP doesnt want to wait past Coffeelake's time frame.

there is a thread discussing all this here.
    Ive also phoned in with a friend and he's said theres 0 point for what I do to have 6 cores, as well as most games don't properly use 4 cores let alone 6

Deleted
    Irrespective of what your friend says, if you'd like to upgrade nothing but the GPU for another 5-6 years then be a wee bit patient, you've waited this long and we are all telling you it's worth it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive also phoned in with a friend and he's said theres 0 point for what I do to have 6 cores, as well as most games don't properly use 4 cores let alone 6
    You don't build a pc for the games RIGHT NOW, but for what is to come as well. Multi core performance is increasing by the day.

But anyway, moot point. Coffee Lake comes out in two weeks, not months. You lose nothing waiting this much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    a few weeks....

Listen to advice..I know you want now but you will regret it later, not to mention you could get the 8600k for $100 cheaper and have a 6 core instead of 4/8 ht.

I would wait, but I have a friend whos PC took as lightning hit along with his TV, Microwave and some other things. He wont wait either but at least he went with a Ryzen R5 1600 instead of the 7700k

You don't build a pc for the games RIGHT NOW, but for what is to come as well. Multi core performance is increasing by the day.

But anyway, moot point. Coffee Lake comes out in two weeks, not months. You lose nothing waiting this much.
    a few weeks....

Listen to advice..I know you want now but you will regret it later, not to mention you could get the 8600k for $100 cheaper and have a 6 core instead of 4/8 ht.

I would wait, but I have a friend whos PC took as lightning hit along with his TV, Microwave and some other things. He wont wait either but at least he went with a Ryzen R5 1600 instead of the 7700k
    Oh I'm waiting a few weeks regardless of the choice, I like to take my time before I commit to anything.

As for Ryzen, I've not looked into it at all and know absolutely nothing about it, which is why I haven't brought it up

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh I'm waiting a few weeks regardless of the choice, I like to take my time before I commit to anything.

As for Ryzen, I've not looked into it at all and know absolutely nothing about it, which is why I haven't brought it up
    I have a R7 1700 and a 7700k, unless I am looking at a fps meter I cant tell the difference and they both have the same video card. Depending on the game, they trade blows.

I will be putting together my buddies rig tomorrow which is the R5 1600 with a Asus B350-F Gaming Board and 16GB Corsair 3000 Memory and let you know how it turns out performance wise.

I have a R7 1700 and a 7700k, unless I am looking at a fps meter I cant tell the difference and they both have the same video card. Depending on the game, they trade blows.

I will be putting together my buddies rig tomorrow which is the R5 1600 with a Asus B350-F Gaming Board and 16GB Corsair 3000 Memory and let you know how it turns out performance wise.
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I went ahead and waited, but before I hit order on this I just want to check this is compatible,

I'm going for the I5-8600k core, and looking at Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 7, (With a Coolmaster V8 cooler) is this an alright combo?

Sorry to revive this thread, but I went ahead and waited, but before I hit order on this I just want to check this is compatible,

I'm going for the I5-8600k core, and looking at Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 7, (With a Coolmaster V8 cooler) is this an alright combo?
    The 8600k is socket 1151. The x299 is socket 2066. They are not compatible (literally won't even fit).

The only motherboard choice for the 8600k is currently the Z370 motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The 8600k is socket 1151. The x299 is socket 2066. They are not compatible (literally won't even fit).

The only motherboard choice for the 8600k is currently the Z370 motherboards.
    Yup afterwards found out on the specs the 1151 and 2066, so that was a close call Then yes, I moved on to looking at the Z370 versions, so glad I'm on the right track. Thanks