Deleted

Lightbulb Ways of implementing new separate specs.

I was checking out the new Guild Wards 2 expansion features and found out that they are adding a new specialization to every existing class in the game, 9 total new specs, which can be unlocked at max level as a means of post leveling character progression.
    The Hearthstone team decided to take a similar approach with Death Knights, where instead of adding a new Death Knight class with an entirely new set of different cards they decided to turn every existing hero into a Death Knight.

Considering that Blizzard is all in for max level character progression right now and that they had a similar idea for Death Knights very early on, do you think that they would follow that trend and add new separate specs into the game instead of a new whole class?
    We have seen something similar happen in lore with Alleria tapping into the void and essentially unlocking a new spec, under the teachings of Locus Walker. Both seem to insist that, unlike Fel, the void is power that can be controlled and co-exists with the light. We players also delve into the domains of the Void and the Light by using the Netherlight Crucible and the Vindicaar’s powers. While priests do that innately, the rest of the classes also tap into those cosmic energies later on.

So if they ever added separate specs, it could be done like this:
    • A new spec for every class that ties into the theme of the new expansion, like they did in GW2. This way they could implement the much requested Engineer, Necromancer, etc. into the game in the form of specs, without having to worry about creating an entirely new class with unique resources and an expansion that resolves around that specific theme.

Now if they decided to merge the current talent system with the Artifact trees we could instead have:
    • Each class or group of classes would have access to a new thematic “tree-spec” at max level which only unlocks a few bonuses and abilities like an advanced, merged Artifact system. We’d still choose one of the basic specializations, like we do since Cata, but have access to an additional tree that offers flavor and variety in gameplay (e.g. the Engineer tree for Hunters and Rogues, the Void tree for Demon Hunters, Paladins and Warriors, etc).
      In this case, said trees would be taught at max level by a specific faction, like the Ethereal Society teaching the void, the South Seas Goblin Cartel sharing their engineering knowledge, and so on.
    • Or simply an enhanced Netherlight Crucible that is no longer dependent on Artifacts and Relics but works as a separate talent tree system with Light and Void options and a few class specific skills. Continuing the max level progression, they could allow players to infuse their abilities with one of the cosmic powers, altering their appearance, like with Green Fire. I think this idea is the closest to Alleria’s paradigm.

I used to be against new specs, simply for the fact that 12 new specs would take more work than 3 (or 2 these days) required for a new class. But considering that they have worked for more than 12 specs for Legion and that they could find ways to create less than 12, do you think they might attempt something like this?
    Last edited by mmoc985e663195; 2017-09-19 at 07:18 PM.

Every class gets a shadow spec, it's perfect!

I could see them adding shared specs one day, think sort of like heartstone's gadgetzan expansion

I think it is unlikely to happen. Balancing issues are enough as it is, and I feel there is already a diverse pool of specs. If there was one spec I wish would be implemented, would be an earth element based shaman tank. Elemental is mostly centered around fire, enhancement wind and restoration water. So earth tank would be cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Since people would still only run the spec that performed best in 99% of all content -- even if they didn't actually do that content -- 6 additional specs would be wasted. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

I'd actually like to see them go an expansion without changing a single class, and instead put that work into something else in the game.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The difference being, GW2's spec system is built on people choosing 3 different specs to work together to make a functioning class.

WoW's system is 3 entirely different Specs that only get used 1 at a time. GW2 Specs need much less work put into them.

That being said, GW2 has some of the most horrible specs I've ever used in MMO's and for the amount of specs they do have, have an incredibly tiny amount of actual viable specs.

GW2 specs are trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically the old talent tree system? I'm down.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I could see them adding shared specs one day
    As a Druid Guardian, I miss having 3 specs where my Bear/Cat shared a tree. Would love to see specs get turned back into talent trees and instead of "speccing", you simply build your tree to suit your play needs.

Quote Originally Posted by -Joker- View Post
    As a Druid Guardian, I miss having 3 specs where my Bear/Cat shared a tree. Would love to see specs get turned back into talent trees and instead of "speccing", you simply build your tree to suit your play needs.
    I was more thinking along the lines of say, both paladin and warrior getting the same "gladiator" 4th spec. Not an idea that I endorse, but definetly something that could happen in the future.