Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I pay my 60 bones and don't have to deal with it, it was fun the first 22 times I did it to level up toons but NO MORE, now its fun again leveling my new level 100 toon with all the toys and legs to boot

Deleted
    One issue I have with WoW is that 95% of its content is obsolete at any given time. Only the current expansion stuff is ever relevant, leaving us with dozens of empty raids and dungeons. Even while leveling you only have access to a handful of dungeons at a time.

Such a waste of magnificent content. Timewalker events try to pretend to be a fix for that but it's not enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    I recently tried leveling from scratch with no heirlooms. My observations:

- It was still fun and the pacing was fine from 1-70. There were enough content options that I mostly didn't get bored.
    - BC content started to drag towards the end but was mostly OK.
    - LK content really starts to draaaaaag
    - MoP content was bordering on intolerable, and I had to equip heirlooms to decrease personal suffering
    - Draenor was completely intolerable, and I had to plug my nose, buy a 300% XP potion, and hammer out bonus quests to go 92-100 as quickly as possible.
    - Legion content still feels fine to level through, probably because of the dynamic scaling across zones. I abandoned my heirlooms once again at level 100.

I think what I'd really like is for all pre-Legion content -- including dungeons -- to support dynamic scaling. There is soooo much good content in the game that is relegated to a narrow level range, and some level ranges (unsurprisingly individual xpac ranges) are severely limited terms of what content can be used for leveling through them.

The good news is that we're getting a good bit of this in 8.0.
    Good bit of this* as in making old content relevant again or is it just the dynamic scaling continuing in whatever new continent we're invading?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    All they need to do is remove heirlooms, RaF, LFG, reduce experience gain and increase difficulty.

Which they will never do.

And leveling would be interesting again.
    I've levelled probably over 30 toons to above 80 and if they removed heirloooms I can say I'd never level another one. As some one who really likes levelling and levels at lest one toon from 1 to max every expan 60-80 is hell and I would never level another toon if we had a slower levelling pase I've dropped probably another 40 or so characters at 50-60 because I really didn't want to do our lands again.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    it actually was FUN to play the dungeon how it was supposed to be.
    Dungeons were never meant to be solo-content, so how is soloing a dungeon doing it how it was supposed to be?

I get doing it for the challenge without heirlooms, and there are plenty of people that are on the same page as you, but dungeons were meant for a group of 5, not 1 solo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    All they need to do is remove heirlooms, RaF, LFG, reduce experience gain and increase difficulty.

Which they will never do.

And leveling would be interesting again.
    I'm glad that people who think this would make leveling interesting again are not designing the game.

Honestly leveling is completely broken at the moment. Here is some of the stuff that I've noticed.

- We've got too much HP ( even without heirlooms ) A mob 5 levels higher than you would use like a minute to kill you while you are afk.
    - Scaling seems weird and not linear.
    - We outlevel the zones to such extreme extents that you can't finish the story content without handicapping yourself.
    - Dungeons are too good compared to questing.

So far they've probably gone this route so that reaching max level is approximatly the same for every expansion, but this wont last much longer before they really have to do something about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP's idea is good but the issue is that fr someone leveling their 5th or 15th or 25th alt nothing will really make leveling interesting again. I leveled several Alliance toons to max and back in MoP decided to level a couple of Horde characters. The goblin was fun in the starting zone but once he got to Org, it was mostly the same old same old stuff. The undead lock was, again, interesting for 20 levels or so but then gets into the same old quests.

Because Leveling fucking sucks, I am so tired of it I think that if you level a character to max once your alts should be auto level. I have and always will hate leveling with a passion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenheaven View Post
    Good bit of this* as in making old content relevant again or is it just the dynamic scaling continuing in whatever new continent we're invading?
    Scaling applying to much more old content.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylista6 View Post
    Dungeons were never meant to be solo-content, so how is soloing a dungeon doing it how it was supposed to be?

I get doing it for the challenge without heirlooms, and there are plenty of people that are on the same page as you, but dungeons were meant for a group of 5, not 1 solo.
    Again, you 100% have not read the entire thread/responses as I have already pointed out that the purpose of a dungeon is to highlight each and everyone's role. Whether It's by 1 or 2 or 5 people is irrelevant as long as those roles are fulfilled. With current scaling of mobs vs players all 5 players can fulfill the role of a DD and never heal or tank and be fine. Whereas reducing said number to 1 or 2 will bring back the roles as they are supposed to be. A solo Dungeon is a better showcase of roles than a 5 man dungeon at the current pacing in old dungeons which is paradox and illogical since the entire game design is based around holy trinity thus making old dungeon LFD content failed design in every aspect possible.

As stupid as this sounds, my lvl 16Elemental Shaman had a lot more class fantasy in my solo dungeon than he has ever shown in current endgame for years. Shamans are hybrids, I tanked, I healed and I dealt dmg. I excelled at nothing but I did exactly my role as a hybrid. If I was a rogue I would probably failed the dungeon because a rogue is a not a hybrid and has little to zero healing capabilities at level 16. Think about that for a moment. WoW is first and foremost a RPG with trinity roles, it would still be a game without MMO or even any other players. It would not be a game without the RPG elements and roles anymore, it would just be a hub of social interactions, a chatroom so to speak.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2017-09-19 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Because Leveling fucking sucks, I am so tired of it I think that if you level a character to max once your alts should be auto level. I have and always will hate leveling with a passion.
    I never liked leveling either, but I hate it even more now that the combat sucks. No choices you make even matter, like kiting the mobs , not pulling too many etc. I miss giving a shit about upgrades while leveling, because when we are so strong baseline why even care.
    Last edited by makketota; 2017-09-19 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Scaling applying to much more old content.
    Ah okay well thats always something, only took them 13 years to figure out

Was hoping to scale down when leveling etc like I wrote in my earlier post but this is at least a positive improvement.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    They are def working on scaling in other zones, but it will probably be a drip feed instead of a Cata-like revamp.
    Leveling, though, will not get more interesting through this because, in the end, you are just running to Point A, getting a quest to kill X mobs at Point B, then return for XP.
    The zones are still the same, so if you've leveled through it once (or several times, like many 'veterans' of the game), it's the same regardless of whether or not you are level 20 or 100.
    That's the bottom line, and nothing can make it interesting for those who've done it to death anyway.

Now, the soloing dungeons thing is a good pace-breaker, but some classes/specs have a harder time than others (OP mentioned it).
    I leveled a lock this way in WoD in prep for Legion, void tanking dungeons and such, so it was nice, but in the end, I still did more questing in the same old zones and it was a drag.
    BC zones, some of the worst after the, I don't know... 20th time? 30th time? Probably more as I have toons (and have deleted toons) in the 60+ ranges many times over.
    Given the time and pain it takes to level, I'm more inclined to shell out $60 for a 100 boost as opposed to putting myself through hours of torture, no matter what 'spice' they throw at the steaming pile of crap that is leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    They are def working on scaling in other zones, but it will probably be a drip feed instead of a Cata-like revamp.
    Leveling, though, will not get more interesting through this because, in the end, you are just running to Point A, getting a quest to kill X mobs at Point B, then return for XP.
    The zones are still the same, so if you've leveled through it once (or several times, like many 'veterans' of the game), it's the same regardless of whether or not you are level 20 or 100.
    That's the bottom line, and nothing can make it interesting for those who've done it to death anyway.

Now, the soloing dungeons thing is a good pace-breaker, but some classes/specs have a harder time than others (OP mentioned it).
    I leveled a lock this way in WoD in prep for Legion, void tanking dungeons and such, so it was nice, but in the end, I still did more questing in the same old zones and it was a drag.
    BC zones, some of the worst after the, I don't know... 20th time? 30th time? Probably more as I have toons (and have deleted toons) in the 60+ ranges many times over.
    Given the time and pain it takes to level, I'm more inclined to shell out $60 for a 100 boost as opposed to putting myself through hours of torture, no matter what 'spice' they throw at the steaming pile of crap that is leveling.
    I don't really understand this mentality. I understand you want to skip content that you have done a lot of the times, but what if the leveling process is as good as the endgame content? You could be fighting epic bosses in dungeons or even raids if they wanted through scaling. Earn rewards that matter for endgame (get small amounts of endgame currency for example) Get scaling gear that you can use even on max level and, if you are super lucky get a legendary you could use on max level as well. It would feel a lot better, by asking Blizzard to just buy me through you are not helping the game develop. People should be asking Blizzard to make leveling as fun as the endgame, no DEMAND it. There are so many options for a game, in fact, the imagination is the limit. Get rid of old materials, replace them by materials that matter for the end. Diablo 3 did the same, they removed all the stupid pre 70 craft materials and replaced them by smaller amounts of endgame crafting materials below 70. So the journey is not useless, just less effective as to when you are max level.

Playing in low level should still be fun and rewarding, it just should not be AS rewarding as playing on max level. Agreed?

We all acknowledge that the endgame is the goal. So why is the leveling to that goal completely pointless and unlike the endgame? Because we don't demand to make it worthwhile. What we do during leveling should be similar to a smaller extent to what we do at the end.

And btw, in the end you will grind at the endgame the same old WQ or Dungeons/raids anyway, how is that different to leveling again? The combat is not fun and you gain 0 rewards. Make leveling combat fun and a little rewarding and it won't feel as bad.

Imagine the entire process 1-110 is as good as 100-110. You get small endgame currencies here and there, a little bit of AP and OrderHall resources. It doesn't feel as "wasted" when you get stuff you will use at the end. That's the most important part to "fix" leveling. It must have an impact in the end.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2017-09-19 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I see people complain how boring the leveling in WoW is, I always bring up the point to simply solo or duo Dungeons instead of LFD them. They are actually challenging and decent XP (~350 per mob with Heirlooms at level 15). Just did ragefire chasm with my level 16 Elemental Shammy and it was as fun as I remembered them to be. The bosses all have meaningful mechanics too. For example Slagmaw spits fire on the ground, so right when he finishes the cast you move left/right and not get hit. Simple but rewarding and did not take damage. Dark Shaman Koranthal needs to be interrupted or you get hit with 25-30% HP. He also has a phase where you need to run out of some shadow voids, it actually was FUN to play the dungeon how it was supposed to be. While specific mobs have priority to kill/burst, patrols need to be killed, CC is important as well as interrupts. You may even take different talents depending on what boss/dungeon you fight. Now, granted, Shaman has an easier time than others simply because you can heal yourself. But that's where Blizzard could do a better job. Let's be honest, the dungeons at this point are not meant for 5 players, I would change them all to be 2-3player dungeons (while keeping them as is!) without role restrictions. Kinda like Scenarios. If you hate leveling because it is faceroll I encourage you to solo (or duo, depending on class) them. It is, to some degree, more fun than endgame dungeons.

Thoughts?
    Stop increasing level cap.

Why does an xpac HAVE to increase level cap?

Who made that rule?

10+ Year Old Account

We all acknowledge that the endgame is the goal. So why is the leveling to that goal completely pointless and unlike the endgame? Because we don't demand to make it worthwhile. What we do during leveling should be similar to a smaller extent to what we do at the end.
    This is the key to me. Blizzard has made the leveling process a chore, not a game. I don't play WoW to do chores, I play to play a game. It's never going to be the same the 10th time through as the 1st but it would be good if it wasn't entirely a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    This is the key to me. Blizzard has made the leveling process a chore, not a game. I don't play WoW to do chores, I play to play a game. It's never going to be the same the 10th time through as the 1st but it would be good if it wasn't entirely a grind.
    I wish there was some sort of "account credit" that if you had already had a character of that class at max level you got to expedite leveling in some sort of way.

Right now it's "lol that'll be $60 pls" and it's fucking stupid. I'm not paying $60 to boost a character that I have to then level another 10 levels.

leveling? fun? in 2017? okay

Deleted
    wow & "super fun" in the same sentence? really???