Poll: Squish?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Just remove max level imo, and replace the AP grind with a never-ending but brutally scaling EXP grind with a relative power increase to additional Concordance ranks.

High level characters will be special snowflakes because people will ooh and aah over their level (presumably, according to them), and people will generally have a never-ending goal to work towards the way Blizzard wants them to.
    and rename the game into World of Diablocraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    and rename the game into World of Diablocraft
    Diablo has always had a max level, so no.

Also, what I've suggested is completely different from any Diablo expansion, considering they all increased the level cap (ie: the maximum level)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    In my opinion, there are too many goddamn levels. The delta between 100 and 110, or 110 and 120, starts to feel kind of meaningless. Also it's no secret that the leveling grind feels a tad excessive to most players at this point.

Given the likelihood of level scaling tech spreading throughout existing pre-Legion content, thus obviating the need to have enough levels to reasonably cover available content, doesn't it seem like it's about time for a level squish in WoW? Freshen things up a bit, ya know?

I would personally like to see max level squished to 20 at the end of Legion and have 8.0 cover levels 20-30. But I have no idea what I'm doing, so what do you think?
    It's just a number, doesn't change a single thing. And it would be a giant job to change the entire game to suit less levels. They would do that in an xpack and completely neglect the endgame, does that remind you of anything? *cough cata cough*

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If it's just a number then it shouldn't matter either way, correct?
    And in which case, this shouldn't have been a discussion in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    And in which case, this shouldn't have been a discussion in the first place.
    There's no reason to not discuss something, and change for the sake of change happens all the time.

Saying it doesn't matter because it's just a number, unless you truly don't care either way, is a disingenuous argument to make.

Ion already said there will be a squish next exp

7+ Year Old Account
    There is not really a problem with the amount of levels we get, aslong as it feels good getting those lvls.

It would also require a total revamp of the leveling system, the learning system, the way we get spells, talents and gear, and also a rework of the entire leveling layout.

So no...This would be a terrible idea and would require so much work for so little in the end.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Level has always just been a number, get over it.
    A number that is mostly meaningless to players who has stuck around for a while, but a daunting task for newer players.

"Hey, wanna play WoW with us? Only have to level up 110 levels to start hanging out with us!" What does that mean? What references do a new player put into it? Like level 100 levels in a Final Fantasy game? In a Kingdom Hearts game? Dragon Quest? Persona? Shin Megami Tensei? Just by changing what it is called, you can make it a more "noobie friendly" game, without truly affecting anyone.

Deleted
    They fucked up with the stat inflation in Cata, and then again with the stat squish in MoP. And here we are again with several million HP.

The MoP item stat squish had absolutely retarded effects on gear. The numbers are too small especially at lower levels, when you don't see practically any kind of stat increase when getting so-called upgrades. Even ilevel 200 and 400 items have nearly identical stats. They should have kept the item stat progression more linear from Wrath.

And the item level in general -- do we REALLY need such a ridiculous inflation on it? Vanilla ilvl was ~100, TBC ~135, Wrath ~270... and then Cata ~410, MoP ~560, WoD ~720, and now people run around in 930+ stuff... over 200 item levels during the course of a single expansion?

Are they trying to compensate for something or what?

Actually it matters because it allows them to keep giving us better gear each expansion without our haste, mastery, and crit becoming absurdly high. That legendary that gives you 1.7 mastery? It'll be worth a lot less mastery at whatever the new cap will be than it does now at 110.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    They fucked up with the stat inflation in Cata, and then again with the stat squish in MoP. And here we are again with several million HP.

The MoP item stat squish had absolutely retarded effects on gear. The numbers are too small especially at lower levels, when you don't see practically any kind of stat increase when getting so-called upgrades. Even ilevel 200 and 400 items have nearly identical stats. They should have kept the item stat progression more linear from Wrath.

And the item level in general -- do we REALLY need such a ridiculous inflation on it? Vanilla ilvl was ~100, TBC ~135, Wrath ~270... and then Cata ~410, MoP ~560, WoD ~720, and now people run around in 930+ stuff... over 200 item levels during the course of a single expansion?

Are they trying to compensate for something or what?
    Well, 1-60 was linear, and then as you said there were spikes at 70, 80, 85, and 90. The squish made 1-90 linear, and now we have spikes at 100 and 110. The next time we get a squish 1-90 won't be touched again. They'll just squish down 91-110 so it's linear all the way from 1-110 and let us start growing against the new cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm willing to bet money and my left kidney they will never decrease levels in this game for a squish.
    Stats I'm sure will be squished down again in the future, but levels? Nope. Never going to happen.

Deleted
    if it doesnt matter either way, we dont need a squish, correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like a level squish, but for actual gameplay reasons:

- With a lower level each level would feel more meaningful, as in we would actually get something each level. Be it a new skill, a talent point, an unlocked dungeon or what not. Currently, we get many new skills at low level, but it's not unheard of to go 5-10 levels without getting anything at the higher levels.
    - Since we already know that a item squish will most likely happen, a level squish would also help here. A lower level would mean we won't get the level up stats for the missing levels. Even if we would only get 1 stamina per level, max level 60 instead of 120 would mean we would have 60 stamina less.
    - Now if we don't get scaling level for the whole game, this would also allow us to consolidate continents, so we could for example have level 1-30 on Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms, 30-35 on Northrend or Outland, 35-40 on Cataclym or Pandaria, 40-45 on Draenoir, 45-50 on the Broken Isles and 50-60 on whatever cames next.

Deleted
    As the majority voted: everything is fine as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I would like a level squish, but for actual gameplay reasons:

- With a lower level each level would feel more meaningful, as in we would actually get something each level. Be it a new skill, a talent point, an unlocked dungeon or what not. Currently, we get many new skills at low level, but it's not unheard of to go 5-10 levels without getting anything at the higher levels.
    - Since we already know that a item squish will most likely happen, a level squish would also help here. A lower level would mean we won't get the level up stats for the missing levels. Even if we would only get 1 stamina per level, max level 60 instead of 120 would mean we would have 60 stamina less.
    - Now if we don't get scaling level for the whole game, this would also allow us to consolidate continents, so we could for example have level 1-30 on Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms, 30-35 on Northrend or Outland, 35-40 on Cataclym or Pandaria, 40-45 on Draenoir, 45-50 on the Broken Isles and 50-60 on whatever cames next.
    And I see ZERO gameplay reasons there.....

Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    In my opinion, there are too many goddamn levels. The delta between 100 and 110, or 110 and 120, starts to feel kind of meaningless. Also it's no secret that the leveling grind feels a tad excessive to most players at this point.

Given the likelihood of level scaling tech spreading throughout existing pre-Legion content, thus obviating the need to have enough levels to reasonably cover available content, doesn't it seem like it's about time for a level squish in WoW? Freshen things up a bit, ya know?

I would personally like to see max level squished to 20 at the end of Legion and have 8.0 cover levels 20-30. But I have no idea what I'm doing, so what do you think?
    The grind can take exactly the same amount of time for 10 levels or for 1000 levels. You just adjust the amount of experience per level.

As a game progresses you're supposed to get stronger. Losing levels for no reason is worse than gaining levels for no reason. At least gaining levels for no reason is logical to progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    if it doesnt matter either way, we dont need a squish, correct?
    Makes no difference to me, I was just pointing out that that particular argument doesn't actually get you anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    As the majority voted: everything is fine as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

And I see ZERO gameplay reasons there.....
    So getting a skill every other level instead of only once ever 5 levels is no difference in gameplay? Or being able to choose where to level, instead of being forced to go to continent X for the duration of levle Y to Z?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Actually it matters because it allows them to keep giving us better gear each expansion without our haste, mastery, and crit becoming absurdly high. That legendary that gives you 1.7 mastery? It'll be worth a lot less mastery at whatever the new cap will be than it does now at 110.
    Stat scaling is possible without tying it to level. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Deleted
    Guys calm down!

Its just a number...

Quote Originally Posted by vbnm247 View Post
    We should never have levelled beyond 60.

Hear me out.

When burning crusade released, we should have been leveling Fel Resistance. 10 levels of resistance (which is equal to 60 to70 levels).

What is the point you ask? Well it meant that when WOTLK comes out, you jump into that expansion at level 60 too but level frost resistance. Each level of Frost resistance also gives 1 level of fel resistance for BC.

This means someone coming to wow during WOTLK just had to level to 60 then they could jump into northrend instead of having to also level through BC.

Same again with Cata, you jump in Cata at level 60 leveling Horde/Alliance ranks, each rank also provides 2 levels of frost and fel resistance.

Same again with MOP, you can jump into the expansion at 60, leveling sha resistance, each level gives 1 level of rank and 2 levels of frost and fel.

This means someone starting during MOP just had to level to 60, could jump right into MOP content after which they could still explore and enjoy BC, WOTLK and Cata

Another advantage is that a lot more world content remains viable. So during MOP older raids from Vanilla, BC and WOTLK would have still posed a challenge and couldn't be solo'd. Great for casual guilds and pugs looking for mounts, pets or certain types of gear.

This not perfect but I think it would have made for interesting expansions without completely making older content obsolete.

Just my 2 cents which is not worth much.
    And how would you go about gear?