Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

Yeah your sarcasm aside, Tennis I believe is not consigning her beliefs with just that of her own backyard.

Tennisace is a girl? Hell, this entire time I just thought he was some random neck beard that posted random and mundane articles that were either pro-Canada, or anti-everyone else.

So I guess that makes her opinionated and bossy, telling everyone else how they should live their lives, instead of letting people have personal freedom, and dealing with the consequences of their life choices.

Either way, The PM of Australia is awesome for standing up for personal freedoms and avoiding sin taxes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I could throw a shoe out of my window and hit a more reliable source than noxxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    But Tennisace I want you to provide a solution. You're our only hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    Tennisace is a girl? Hell, this entire time I just thought he was some random neck beard that posted random and mundane articles that were either pro-Canada, or anti-everyone else.

So I guess that makes her opinionated and bossy, telling everyone else how they should live their lives, instead of letting people have personal freedom, and dealing with the consequences of their life choices.

Either way, The PM of Australia is awesome for standing up for personal freedoms and avoiding sin taxes!
    I don't know if it's a he or she. I took a gamble.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    in today's insipid tenn thread the wheel landed on... "obesity!" tenn's greatest demon.
    Doesn't that wheel only have three sections? Fuck the US! Canada is the bestest ever!(Also, fuck the US) and OMG people are so damn fat it disgusts me!
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

7+ Year Old Account
    Good. It's not government's role regulate people's personal lives.

They estimate that 63 percent of Australian adults and 27 percent of children are either overweight or obese
    A statistic based purely on BMI numbers without any consideration for actual body fat percentages. IE, bunk.

Smart move we need this to be a forced issue.
    You realize it was shot down, right? Read better.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Good, sin taxes are bullshit.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I don't know. Water is a lot cheaper than Soda. Basically free really.
    Not at all free. In fact, pretty expensive. Hell, my water bill was almost $100 this month and I live alone. :/

Well of course it can, and any kind of insanity can be allowed if you cry freedom loud enough.
    What's insane is the belief that anyone, even government, has the right to intrude on the private lives of individuals.

Then no matter what it is, I am 100% ok with circumventing their rights to almost any or every degree.
    Sorry, kiddo. Personal freedoms/rights trump pretty much everything.

I would be more than please be the one to hold your down look you in the eyes as you got implanted.
    I seriously doubt anyone would have to worry about you holding them down unless you sat on them.

If a person disagrees, they need to have a sound argument in reason, or logic and the better both.
    You're hardly the person to talk about logic or reason when you can barely form a coherent sentence.

People have had decades to practice self control when it comes to obesity. Obviously that approach doesn't work. It's like promoting the drug war or abstinence only teaching.

How many more decades of "self control" do we need to witness?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Not everyone wants to become athletes though and some don't even like sports to begin with.
    Chances are you only need a fraction of the effort to gain most of the benefit, rather than going full on athlete.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Health was required when I was in school but it was a blow-off class. The reason is that most of what you need to know about being healthy is shoved in your face every day in one way or another. There are billion dollar industries and people who make their living off of the next big fad breakthrough in which you can't escape no matter where you go. No matter any of that, with the exception of mentally impaired people, everyone knows that your body gets fatter in specific ways that are mostly under your control. I was in fact more worried about my physique when I was young because I wanted to get laid regularly. Being a fat slob is an impediment to that, that any idiot can understand.

I would argue that there are very few people who are completely clueless that the reason they are 300+ pounds is because they won't stop eating Papa Johns. It's more of an emotional issue. Ask yourself whether your research really opened your eyes to something you truly didn't know about how to control what goes down your gullet or whether it was just a new obsession for you that replaced your old obsession. The fact that is is emotional and obsessive is evidenced by the fact that people who go through what you have NEED to talk about it and make sure everyone understands the minutia of how they lost their weight, even though there are many ways to skin that same cat.

Most people are fat because for better or worse they continue to choose to be. If they feel like it is literally impossible for them to do anything about it, seeing a psychiatrist would probably help more than seeing a nutritionist.

I mean, if you really didn't know anything about what was causing you to be unhealthy, I think you should ask your school about their lack of teaching you to observe your surroundings and the actions of other people more than asking for a health class.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, thinks OP might be a girl and now they are "opinionated and bossy". Watch out for the SJWs.
    Oh don't get me wrong; I agree that the mere existence of a health class is not going to fix anything. As well as that yes, so much is shoved in our faces that it does require actual effort to ignore it. The trouble is that so much of what is pushed conflicts with itself in one way or another, it then becomes up to us the consumer to sift through it all and pick out what is actually going to help our individual selves and what is just pig shit (clever marketing).

The root cause? You're absolutely right; is ourselves. Those who are obese, and are not due to some legitimate medical condition, are so because they choose to be so. In my case? It was ignorance combined with allowing myself to be satisfied with half-truths and misdirection. I worked out and had a low carb high protein diet; that's what all the meatheads said they did and rather than do the research myself; I took it as gospel since the ones giving me that advice were themselves in the kind of physical condition I wanted to emulate.

With that said though I do still think the quality of the health education, at least here where I went to school is severely lacking. I never learned what an endomorph was, for example, until I was doing my own research. Sure, there was mention of "body types" but no elaboration. We never measured fat because no one wanted tender feelings getting hurt. My "health" was 1 day a week, rolled into a generic physical education class that. To pass (with an A at that) one only had to show up and change into their gym shorts; that was literally it. I would describe it as pathetic but I feel that is too soft a word to describe it.

As for what opened my eyes, no it wasn't the research. The turning point was the conversation with my doctor. It was not pleasant, it was not friendly or "warm", he basically yelled at me for 15 minutes; he interrupted every single attempt I made at an excuse; shut down every attempt to rationalize my stupid decisions, told me he didn't care that I worked out or what ridiculous diet I was following, or what my fit friends told me to do. It wasn't working and sitting around waiting for it to start working would only end one way. The research that followed I suppose you could call an obsession; true there, but that obsession I would say definitely did help me to identify, not how to control what I ate, but how to dig deeper into what those items were and separate what was actually good for me to be eating from the pig shit I had unwittingly been buying into. Did that ignorance make me innocent of the results? fuck no. Which I suppose is what the REAL lesson was there; being accountable, following up, and weighing expectations against results properly; rather than simply assuming some set of information was true purely because I liked the presented results.

Hell, when I say it that way I feel no small amount of shame; as it starts to sound more like I'm describing the moment I grew a pair and became an adult lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Self-control over government-control is the cornerstone of our society, so we'll keep that in place a few decades longer. Also, can't believe you would compare this to the drug war since the same arguments made against the drug war can apply to shooting down sin taxes.
    It can go both ways. Government can outlaw something that it shouldn't and allow another to be legal when it shouldn't.

Simply leaving everything up to the consumer when it comes to obesity doesn't work just like other approaches to different problems don't work. What does work is banning harmful substances that shouldn't depend solely on self control or the self policing of companies like DDT or trans fats.

Tenn is the obesity task force. He is the worlds last hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...ia-soft-drinks

What's this guy doing? We really need some better leadership in Australia. This is unacceptable. We can either move forward on the obesity crisis or we can not. Simple choice.
    Good for the PM, he's right.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    so did the OP confuse Australia for Canada again? It's a common mistake.
    OP apparently thinks he's a citizen of everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Which means he isn't taking meaningful action. A problem don't you think?
    What makes you think that taxing something is a meaningful action?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    "We". Stop injecting yourself to other nations' business.
    Gotta agree with this.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...ia-soft-drinks

What's this guy doing? We really need some better leadership in Australia. This is unacceptable. We can either move forward on the obesity crisis or we can not. Simple choice.
    im sorry but soda isnt making people fat, fat people eating unhealthy food is. Australia has alot more problems aside from soda that they need to worry about first, like non shit internet.

Oh dear, Paul Blart (aka Mall Security) and tennisface in the same thread?

The nanny-statism is off the charts!

- - - Updated - - -

Well let me explain something to you Sulla, I don't care about people's personal freedoms or perspectives on the law or anything else. Because if don't see I don't find any value to their argument, and there is absolutely no logic.

Then no matter what it is, I am 100% ok with circumventing their rights to almost any or every degree.

If it was up to me if the world would be made a better place by microchipping your ass, I would be more than please be the one to hold your down look you in the eyes as you got implanted.

I believe in freedom, and equality even though people aren't all the same, but that doesn't mean I believe all ideas are the same or should be respected, and I damn sure don't agree to protect them.

If a person disagrees, they need to have a sound argument in reason, or logic and the better both. If they don't meet that criteria.

Then no we aren't equals, and I am not sure your freedoms really all that matter, mostly because you don't actually have them, you didn't especially earn any privilege you think is your right, but if you don't have an appreciation for where any of that comes from or the process of maintaining it, then your protest is meaningless.
    What a load of wannabe tough guy bullshit.

If you think it's okay for you to talk like that because people don't support the government intruding in their lives, then I think it's fair to say you deserve a helicopter ride.

A 20% tax wouldn't be enough. Soda would still be as cheap as chips. Fizzy drinks need something like a 1000% tax to be effective - then kids will balk at spending their pocket money on a $10 bottle of coca cola.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    im sorry but soda isnt making people fat, fat people eating unhealthy food is. Australia has alot more problems aside from soda that they need to worry about first, like non shit internet.
    No way. A combination of unhealthy eating, lack of exercise and poor attitude is making people fat. It's all part of the puzzle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    OP apparently thinks he's a citizen of everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

What makes you think that taxing something is a meaningful action?

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta agree with this.
    Sin taxes mate. It works.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    can we have a fat tax instead for everyone above the healthy bmi ? lets say 30%

10+ Year Old Account
    No way. A combination of unhealthy eating, lack of exercise and poor attitude is making people fat. It's all part of the puzzle.

- - - Updated - - -

Sin taxes mate. It works.
    How about butt the fuck out of other people's lives... unless of course you want them to insert themselves into your life.

So sugar has adverse health effects... so you want to tax it... I get that... Let me ask.
    Rock climbing can have adverse health effects... Are you advocating taxing that?
    Driving a car can have adverse health effects... Are you advocating taxing that so people dont do that as much?
    Sitting on your fat ass pontificating to the rest of the internet can have adverse health effects... Are you advocating taxing that?
    Sun exposure can have adverse health effects... Are you advocating taxing that as well?
    Breathing can have adverse health effects... Are you advocating taxing that as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    can we have a fat tax instead for everyone above the healthy bmi ? lets say 30%
    Sure, lets use it... after you fix all the flaws with it.

1. The person who dreamed up the BMI said explicitly that it could not and should not be used to indicate the level of fatness in an individual. Not only that they were a mathematician, not a physician.

2. It is scientifically nonsensical.

3. It is physiologically wrong. It makes no allowance for the relative proportions of bone, muscle and fat in the body. But bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat, so a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI. Thus, athletes and fit, health-conscious movie stars who work out a lot tend to find themselves classified as overweight or even obese.

4. It gets the logic wrong. Someone who is fat will have a high BMI, but not all high BMI folks are fat.

5. It's bad statistics.

6. It is lying by scientific authority. Anyone peddling BMI is a mathematical snake oil salesman.

7. It suggests there are distinct categories of underweight, ideal, overweight and obese, with sharp boundaries that hinge on a decimal place. And that is total horseshit.

8. It makes the more cynical members of society suspect that the medical insurance industry lobbies for the continued use of the BMI to keep their profits high.

and finally.

9. Continued reliance on the BMI means doctors don't feel the need to use one of the more scientifically sound methods that are available to measure obesity levels. Those alternatives cost a little bit more, but they give far more reliable results.

"Sin taxes" are not a solution to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sin tax works it's a intelligent plan.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

your still wrong, soda doesnt make people fat, iv seen plenty of fit people that drink soda. Its being lazy and not doing shit that makes you fat. Its just like saying guns kill people.