Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We really need some better leadership in Australia. This is unacceptable. We can either move forward on the obesity crisis or we can not. Simple choice.
    We? When did you become "we" with the Aussies?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    your still wrong, soda doesnt make people fat, iv seen plenty of fit people that drink soda. Its being lazy and not doing shit that makes you fat. Its just like saying guns kill people.
    Guns don't kill people...but they sure as fuck make it a helluva lot easier. I mean that's what we invented them for in the first place.

Cars don't just go to places for shits and giggles... but they sure as fuck make it helluva lot easier for people to get wherever they wanna go to.

Soda doesn't make you fat...but it sure as fuck helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    your still wrong, soda doesnt make people fat, iv seen plenty of fit people that drink soda. Its being lazy and not doing shit that makes you fat. Its just like saying guns kill people.
    I doubt it. Look at pro athletes. They be eating healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess what? a great many pro athletes are obese if you measure their BMI. Guess you have more folks to hate now.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

they also drink soda, you have no clue what your talking about.

They continuously increase the tax on cigarettes to discourage smoking and turn around and say a tax on sugar won't do anything? Can someone explain this to me?

Such taxes unfairly affect people on a lower income, who can ill afford such price increases, especially those with kids.

While they shouldn't subsist mostly on sugar, a lot of the cheaper food would likely fall under this umbrella, and avoiding sugar is less reasonable than avoiding smoking. Still, I suppose raw veggies and fruit ought to be safe, since they aren't under the GST.

They should definitely change packaging laws to make it more obvious how much you're getting, though. I think a "single serve" can of softdrink almost breaks your daily sugar limit, doesn't it?

Ah well. In any case it's not as pants-on-head stupid as the fuel levy idea. "Poor people don't have cars" *shakes head*
    Last edited by Soeroah; 2017-09-20 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Sin tax works it's a intelligent plan.
    It's a very effective way to get the people to actually be happy about giving their government yet another way to tax them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenswood View Post
    They continuously increase the tax on cigarettes to discourage smoking and turn around and say a tax on sugar won't do anything? Can someone explain this to me?
    It will certainly do something, ie generate a lot of tax revenue.

It might discourage some people from buying some sugary foods, depending on how expensive the tax is. Maybe. I imagine it'll fuck a lot of people over though, so likely any such tax would be much smaller than the tobacco tax. Ergo probably less effective.

I do not approve of the government attempting to discourage the use of something by profiting from it though, regardless of how effective it is or is not.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-09-20 at 04:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I hate Australian politics so much, everything Turnbull and the Liberal party does never fails to make me angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    It is insanity when you have a epidemic of mass proportions of people who are consuming so much they require machines and breathing machines before they are 40, and every advance in modern science is stifled because of a disease like greed, and plenty of other forms of stupidity have no only been let to until it is out of check, it was encouraged and profited by some whether they knew or not.

So well now we have a problem, and people business and the average person might not like what we need to do to curb it, but this bullshit of caring how the fuck everybody feels about it needs to come to an end.
    I agree that not taking care of yourself is highly degenerate and destructive. We used to have a better solution. We actually let people live with the consequences of their actions. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Different things, the taxes on tobacco are very high and smoking is in general not cool anymore. Sugar taxes doesn't work since it isn't very much and won't change peoples habits.
    Well, smoking became not cool through an endless campaign of petty browbeating to shame smokers at every possible turn and gradually walling off more and more public space to the point where maintaining a smoking habit simply became impractical. And the moral of the story is that while these kinds of public shaming tactics would never fly in any other context, when it came to smoking they absolutely were effective.

Studies show that soft drink taxes and sugar taxes just end up increasing obesity because people seek to make up the calorie deficit elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Obesity epidemic, and nobodies mentioned going to the gym yet.

Rather than just tax people, why not subsidise gym membership or healthy foods?
    This ^, just about anywhere in the Western world prices of fruits, vegetables is ridiculously higher than sugar/carb filled foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxsins View Post
    Studies show that soft drink taxes and sugar taxes just end up increasing obesity because people seek to make up the calorie deficit elsewhere.
    Cheaper soft drinks and food, with more sugar in.

How about making healthy food cheaper?

ITT: Delusional people who confidently declare that increasing prices has zero effect on consumption choices.

If prices don't matter, why doesn't everyone buy a $50 lunch or a $5000 computer? And why don't sellers charge these prices?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Guess what? a great many pro athletes are obese if you measure their BMI. Guess you have more folks to hate now.
    Objection. Look at body fat %

LeBron has what? sub 10% bodyfat. Same for Westbrook, Nadal, Bolt, Phelps etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Objection. Look at body fat %

LeBron has what? sub 10% bodyfat. Same for Westbrook, Nadal, Bolt, Phelps etc.
    Body fat you say? why aren't you measuring these people with BMI like you want to use to measure everyone... seems having more than one set of rules is dishonest... are you dishonest? Surely you aren't... So you have to pick one ruleset for EVERYone.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I didn't know you can buy coke for less than a dollar for a cubic metre. Self control issue which won't be solved with a tax. /dismissed
    I think it's more the case of fancy shitty bottled water.