The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[MUSIC] Gustav Mahler

A couple weeks ago I heard the last 10-15 minutes of this piece during my car-ride home from work and fell absolutely in love with it. I am honestly not sure if I've heard/loved anything from Mahler before, as to be honest, a lot of the classical music I've listened to and heard has been music I didn't even know the details on. Looking for other classical music lovers, who maybe are a little more learnt on the subject, that could maybe steer me in the direction of some similarly awesome works by Mahler and others!

My love for classical started, of course, as a child with the score to Star Wars, to give you all a starter on my tastes. haha

Hope to see some awesome classical music discussion, get some great suggestions, and to listen to some beautiful pieces! Thanks in advance for any participation and hope you love this piece, too!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad that you have finally found classical music. Mahler isn't really one of my favourites, but I'll post some different kinds of good classical pieces for you.

And the greatest piano piece ever composed and performed:

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did it come across like I "finally" found it? I've listened to it, just half the time not knowing actually what I was listening to, for the better half of my life, or longer. :P

But thanks! I recognize Handel! Now I am trying to remember what piece by him is the one I remember liking... hmmm
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Did it come across like I "finally" found it? I've listened to it, just half the time not knowing actually what I was listening to, for the better half of my life, or longer. :P

But thanks! I recognize Handel! Now I am trying to remember what piece by him is the one I remember liking... hmmm

Probably this. It's a great piece.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Probably this. It's a great piece.
    Figured it out!

Handel's Messiah "Allelujah" and was shown it in Intro to Music back in 2011. Different performance, same conductor. As I understand it, this conductor's speed is something not for everyone, but personally I really like the speed - it adds a liveliness the original just lacks, and for the topic, I think it fits perfectly.

"A flower.

Deleted
    A couple weeks ago I heard the last 10-15 minutes of this piece during my car-ride home from work and fell absolutely in love with it. I am honestly not sure if I've heard/loved anything from Mahler before, as to be honest, a lot of the classical music I've listened to and heard has been music I didn't even know the details on. Looking for other classical music lovers, who maybe are a little more learnt on the subject, that could maybe steer me in the direction of some similarly awesome works by Mahler and others!

My love for classical started, of course, as a child with the score to Star Wars, to give you all a starter on my tastes. haha

Hope to see some awesome classical music discussion, get some great suggestions, and to listen to some beautiful pieces! Thanks in advance for any participation and hope you love this piece, too!
    I can recommend at least Mahler's second symphony, it too has a pretty cathartic ending.

I could recommend so much even though I've barely scratched the surface myself. If you really like classical music there is a whole universe out there waiting to be discovered.
    I will stick to just one piece, the last movement of Mozart's last symphony. Here it comes with a nice visual presentation. What he does near the end by combining and rotating 5 of the different themes used throughout the piece is simply mindblowing and one of my favorite moments in music. This is genius at work:

Last edited by deepr; 2017-09-16 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    I can recommend at least Mahler's second symphony, it too has a pretty cathartic ending.
    Yeah, I had actually been starting that when I made this thread. Just listened to the second half now and just gorgeous! I think I do prefer Symphony No. 1's ending more, though.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    I'll add No. 5 too. I personally like No. 4, although compared to the others, it is definitely "Mahler 'lite'"

OP, have you listened to the tone poems of Richard Strauss (like Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegel, Ein Heldenleben) or the works of Respighi (Pines of Rome, Church Windows)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I'll add No. 5 too. I personally like No. 4, although compared to the others, it is definitely "Mahler 'lite'"

OP, have you listened to the tone poems of Richard Strauss (like Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegel, Ein Heldenleben) or the works of Respighi (Pines of Rome, Church Windows)?
    Richard Strauss... that sounds familiar. I'll have to do some research! I'll get back to you. 'Tone poems,' though, what exactly are those? Or what does that mean?
    "A flower.

5+ Year Old Account
    Great ! Finally someone decent on this forum. I finished music conservatory. Most genres that I like are: classical, neo orchestral, world, epic, trailer music. My favorites are: Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Kilar, Mussorgsky, Bergersen, Audiomachine, Yanni, and many others. I also do like Jazz and modern music, but mostly oscillating in orchestral forms.

Richard Strauss... that sounds familiar. I'll have to do some research! I'll get back to you. 'Tone poems,' though, what exactly are those? Or what does that mean?
    Tone poems (broadly) are pieces that depict non-musical things, like art, poems, or stories. To give a couple examples of Strauss's tone poems (there are several), his Alpine Symphony depicts a day on an alpine hike, including predawn, sunrise, a waterfall, alpine meadows, a hunting party, the summit, descending through a storm, sunset, and night again. Till Eulenspiegels Merry Pranks tells the story of a trickster doing things like causing havoc in the market, impersonating the clergy (after which he skips away whistling a dirty song), getting caught, and his beheading.