Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Blizzard has their invisible hands on players throats involving in-game collectibles

In-Game collectibles likes Pets, Mounts and Gear have been a huge deal in not only WoW bot must MMO's for decades. Players LOVE collecting things, and I'm one of those types of players. I get a lot of fun in doing so. Now with the inclusion of the Toy Chest in WoD, there are even more things to collect.

Blizzard knows very well that many of it's player-base plays the game primarily for collecting things. A lot of resources go into mounts pets and other collectibles and players enjoy it.

Starting in MoP, the inclusion of World Boss mounts that drop at a sickening 0.1% drop chance was introduced, and some players today are still slaving away weekly at a chance to get them, many of them wanting freedom at this point.

But with Legion, I've seen a more different approach by Blizzard. They know a lot of players will do anything to get a limited time or limited window item, even if it's something they care nothing about. For this new pirate toy, 99% of players wouldn't have even given a shit about the pirate rep.... until today. Now I'm seeing 30+ groups of Bloodsail rep farms for a single toy collectible in the pre-made group finder. Players are going mad to ensure they get this toy or will have to wait until next year. I have had the Insane title for 2 years, so getting the new pirate Toy was as easy as purchasing it from the vendor.

Another approach from Blizzard in this expansion have been the paragon caches that drop mounts. They know that many players will stay subbed until they get these damned things, and will profit from it.

With this new pirate event, it has become clear to me that Blizzard has its hands and control all over a large portion of the player base and its starting to make me realize that I might not see Blizzard face to face anymore.

TL;DR, new pirate rep toys are making players go crazy for a single toy, highlighting Blizzard's control over their addiction. I'm starting to realize the direction of the game is going in weird desperate places. The new Blizzcon mounts are good indicators that Blizzard has gotten desperate since they know that a larger majority of players will buy the Virtual Ticket for the mounts than previously before with measily pets.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

lol "sickening"

How dare a game company incentivize people to actually play their game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, don't people play for fun? Guess that's fun.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Being a collector in an MMO is obviously going to be a long grind. It's up to the individual to decide whether all that effort is worth it.

I'd like to have all those pretty ponies and fun toys too, but I draw the line at 0.1% drop mounts and hours of endless mob grinding and I'm happier for it. If these collectors don't enjoy it then they're able to make the same choice at any time.

Lol, did you play WoD? There's tens of raids in LFG who were farming Nat Pagle coins in garrison pond, in the beginning of Legion people were doing the same thing on the floating isle near Dala. In MoP there were tens of parties farming frogs on TI, and list goes on and on.

People do something like that whenever there's a good opportunity to do something fast and easy. No one cared about fishing coins until people discovered that it's EXTREMELY easy and efficient to farm them as a raid, after that there's fishing fever for few weeks, everyone turned into pro fisher

Ofc Blizz has control over what people can and can't do, it's their game, moreover, it's a theme park MMO, so pretty much everything is on rails. They're a business, they aren't a charity, obv they're looking for ways to make money.

And lastly, there's such thing known as self-control, learn it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    In-Game collectibles likes Pets, Mounts and Gear have been a huge deal in not only WoW bot must MMO's for decades. Players LOVE collecting things, and I'm one of those types of players. I get a lot of fun in doing so. Now with the inclusion of the Toy Chest in WoD, there are even more things to collect.

Blizzard knows very well that many of it's player-base plays the game primarily for collecting things. A lot of resources go into mounts pets and other collectibles and players enjoy it.

Starting in MoP, the inclusion of World Boss mounts that drop at a sickening 0.1% drop chance was introduced, and some players today are still slaving away weekly at a chance to get them, many of them wanting freedom at this point.

But with Legion, I've seen a more different approach by Blizzard. They know a lot of players will do anything to get a limited time or limited window item, even if it's something they care nothing about. For this new pirate toy, 99% of players wouldn't have even given a shit about the pirate rep.... until today. Now I'm seeing 30+ groups of Bloodsail rep farms for a single toy collectible in the pre-made group finder. Players are going mad to ensure they get this toy or will have to wait until next year. I have had the Insane title for 2 years, so getting the new pirate Toy was as easy as purchasing it from the vendor.

Another approach from Blizzard in this expansion have been the paragon caches that drop mounts. They know that many players will stay subbed until they get these damned things, and will profit from it.

With this new pirate event, it has become clear to me that Blizzard has its hands and control all over a large portion of the player base and its starting to make me realize that I might not see Blizzard face to face anymore.

TL;DR, new pirate rep toys are making players go crazy for a single toy, highlighting Blizzard's control over their addiction. I'm starting to realize the direction of the game is going in weird desperate places. The new Blizzcon mounts are good indicators that Blizzard has gotten desperate since they know that a larger majority of players will buy the Virtual Ticket for the mounts than previously before with measily pets.
    It's really weird, cause it's just a fucking flag. But yeah, if you are a collector, you wanna collect everything. You could say the same thing about achievements. So many people wasting time on getting dumb, pointless achievements.

Deleted
    They gave collectors more to do (including challenge)...

I wouldn't exactly call that having their hands at the player's throat... since it was what the player-base was asking for in the 1st place.

BTW: this is one of the micro-holidays everyone was making fun of blizzard for even creating... looks like they got it right this time around.

Everybody spends his time the way he wants to.Unless it harms somebody,why would you care?Grinding has always been a part of this game.Somebody is watching TV,somebody is going to the gym and somebody just wants to farm something in WoW,would it be a toy,a mount,a transmog etc.

Just a little bit dramatic aren't ya? Maybe you should go outside or something. Them adding content isn't a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    30+ groups. 150-200 players, out of MILLIONS! THE WHOLE POPULATIONS GONE MAD OVER TOYS!

People like fun toys and trinkets. Collecting is what WoW is about, and when you have a limited time to collect something, tons of people will be actively farming it.

Glad I saw this post, didn't even realize there were new toys, almost had to wait until next year.

10+ Year Old Account

Someone like me gets mad because I've ground out Bloodsail admiral years back then ground back up Booty Bay so I can use the city again. I've got the title. How did I know Blizzard was going to add a toy in 2017? Fucked if I'm doing that again, and I shouldn't have to if I have the feat of strength.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Someone like me gets mad because I've ground out Bloodsail admiral years back then ground back up Booty Bay so I can use the city again. I've got the title. How did I know Blizzard was going to add a toy in 2017? Fucked if I'm doing that again, and I shouldn't have to if I have the feat of strength.
    You don't. So long as you have the Avast Ye, Admiral FoS you can just go to the npc and he'll sell it to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    You don't. So long as you have the Avast Ye, Admiral FoS you can just go to the npc and he'll sell it to you.
    Can you? If so, awesome.. This is contrary to what I heard. Thanks.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I'd love to know the mindset that leads to feeling compelled to farm a collectible item inside a game that you don't even want to play

You know somethings gone horribly wrong when a thread is so stupid it makes you long for an anduin thread.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Can you? If so, awesome.. This is contrary to what I heard. Thanks.
    Can confirm, you can buy the toy as long as you have the FoS, even at hated.

I agree that paragon cache mounts are a crappy design but you're being overdramatic OP.

It only took me about an hour in a 5 man group to get the rep on a random 110

However, I do know where you're going on the addiction front, maybe they're swinging the pendulum too far in that direction with the frequency of daily content of Argus, hard to say. Finishing all the collectibles on Argus takes about 2 months with a few toons, I'd say. Something to do. Timeless Isle had it. Maybe it is more addictive than it is in the past though.

You just have to know when to say no to collecting stuff you won't use. I won't be doing the Fisherfriends Toys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard understands that many of its players play to collect things and enjoy it. So they provide things to collect. And this means that "Blizzard has their invisible hands on player's throats involving in-game collectibles".

That's a remarkable leap of logic.

I enjoy Netflix. How fucking dare they keep providing a steady stream of new shows and movies because they know I enjoy watching them. Ha ha ha. Jesus, these people.

Players are perfectly capable of using their brains to do stuff they want to do and it's their choice to decide what they want to collect.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-09-20 at 07:58 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."