Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    No, Which is why you establish that a Dog cannot use Dog behavior on a Human by assuming the dominant role when playing and interacting with the Dog. You show it "I am not a Dog, I am a human, but we are friends"

So yeah, you sound like a new age hippy or someone who is so scared of the word "Dominant" you forgo important lessons about it.
    Well, I guess you sound like the typical "it's dominance!!"-type of person.
    Thanks, but no thanks. My life with dogs became so much better after I stopped viewing dog and human relationships in terms of "dominance". And it is absolutely detrimental to apply the pop culture brand of "Dominance!!" to dogs already displaying behaviours of insecurity and fear, which is what my original post was aimed at.

Your brand of "dominance", although I wouldn't use the term "dominance" to describe building a trusting relationship, doesn't fall under the "Pop culture dominance".
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-09-21 at 02:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Well, I guess you sound like the typical "it's dominance!!"-type of person.
    Thanks, but no thanks. My life with dogs became so much better after I stopped viewing dog and human relationships in terms of "dominance". And it is absolutely detrimental to apply the pop culture brand of "Dominance!!" to dogs already displaying behaviours of insecurity and fear.
    So you ignore what I say, because I used the word Dominance; Exactly what I said you would do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Additionally, make sure he is the only person who feeds the dog. No food magically appears on the floor or from anyone else, the dog only eats when he feeds him.

That right there is a very quick way to assert dominance without any kind of force or confrontation. The dog will very quickly learn where his food ticket is punched and fall in line.
    Yep just don't bluff it though dogs can test that once failed trust is gone. Have K-9 units where I work and unfortunately almost had some guards seriously injured trying that let's be companions bullshit.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So you ignore what I say, because I used the word Dominance; Exactly what I said you would do.
    Not really, but nice way of ignoring bits of my post in return I suppose?

Although you can't fault someone having seen first-hand what the "dominance think" can do to dogs (and people) for being allergic to the word as it's become known in pop culture "training".

Deleted
    Not really, but nice way of ignoring bits of my post in return I suppose?
    I've not really ignored anything you said; we seem to be on the same page that interaction with the dog better would ensure a closer bond. You just seem to be inclined to hate the idea that Respect must be earned and produced and that is what is called "Dominance"

You need to form a bond of respect, and with the knowledge of what the Dog can and can not do.

Absolute NO NO way: Adhere to "dominance theory" training. Those methods lead to worse fears, worse behaviours and doesn't address the root cause in favor of the "hurr it wants to dominate you and you need to act like the alpha silverback"-crap. The dog isn't believing that it's "the master", it's not looking down its nose on humans. It's defending a resource necessary for its survival, and only building trust and security for the dog has a chance to remedy this fact. Even the society of wolf scientists have disowned the term "alpha". Wolf packs are actually family units, not groups built upon fighting your way to the top spot.

That's funny, there are actually 2 alphas in a wolf family (and still accepted today). An alpha female, and an alpha male. This mentality is all through the animal kingdom. I'm not entirely sure where you're getting your information. The only thing that has changed is what the term "Alpha" actually means.

Considering the best trained dogs are still trained in this manner, I'd have to disagree. Military dogs, and the dogs that come out of Germany - which has arguably the best canine training academy in the world, still train in this fashion. It does not "instill fear" in a dog for them to know their place in the family. It teaches straight up obedience. I've trained all of my dogs (huskies) the same way, they don't eat when I put food in their bowl until the command, "Eat!."

One thing that people go wrong on is they put their hands on their dog in a negative way. That is an absolute no no. Not even a tap on the nose when he's being punished. Your dog must never worry about physical harm, but know that you're capable of punishing bad behavior. But also always rewarding good behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    That's funny, there are actually 2 alphas in a wolf family (and still accepted today). An alpha female, and an alpha male. This mentality is all through the animal kingdom. I'm not entirely sure where you're getting your information. The only thing that has changed is what the term "Alpha" actually means.

Considering the best trained dogs are still trained in this manner, I'd have to disagree. Military dogs, and the dogs that come out of Germany - which has arguably the best canine training academy in the world, still train in this fashion. It does not "instill fear" in a dog for them to know their place in the family. It teaches straight up obedience. I've trained all of my dogs (huskies) the same way, they don't eat when I put food in their bowl until the command, "Eat!."

One thing that people go wrong on is they put their hands on their dog in a negative way. That is an absolute no no. Not even a tap on the nose when he's being punished. Your dog must never worry about physical harm, but know that you're capable of punishing bad behavior. But also always rewarding good behavior.
    http://www.davemech.org/news.html

The concept of the alpha wolf is well ingrained in the popular wolf literature at least partly because of my book "The Wolf: Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species," written in 1968, published in 1970, republished in paperback in 1981, and currently still in print, despite my numerous pleas to the publisher to stop publishing it. Although most of the book's info is still accurate, much is outdated. We have learned more about wolves in the last 40 years then in all of previous history.

"One of the outdated pieces of information is the concept of the alpha wolf. "Alpha" implies competing with others and becoming top dog by winning a contest or battle. However, most wolves who lead packs achieved their position simply by mating and producing pups, which then became their pack. In other words they are merely breeders, or parents, and that's all we call them today, the "breeding male," "breeding female," or "male parent," "female parent," or the "adult male" or "adult female." In the rare packs that include more than one breeding animal, the "dominant breeder" can be called that, and any breeding daughter can be called a "subordinate breeder."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post

No there is no such thing as alpha anything. Those are called parents and this nonsense along with the lets anthropomorphis animals as are companions is honestly making matters worse.

He has to establish dominance period which at this point is nearly impossible because the dogs memory has him probably pegged.

Deleted
    http://www.davemech.org/news.html

The concept of the alpha wolf is well ingrained in the popular wolf literature at least partly because of my book "The Wolf: Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species," written in 1968, published in 1970, republished in paperback in 1981, and currently still in print, despite my numerous pleas to the publisher to stop publishing it. Although most of the book's info is still accurate, much is outdated. We have learned more about wolves in the last 40 years then in all of previous history.

"One of the outdated pieces of information is the concept of the alpha wolf. "Alpha" implies competing with others and becoming top dog by winning a contest or battle. However, most wolves who lead packs achieved their position simply by mating and producing pups, which then became their pack. In other words they are merely breeders, or parents, and that's all we call them today, the "breeding male," "breeding female," or "male parent," "female parent," or the "adult male" or "adult female." In the rare packs that include more than one breeding animal, the "dominant breeder" can be called that, and any breeding daughter can be called a "subordinate breeder."
    So basically he refuses to use the term "Alpha" but his description describes that perfectly.

I've not really ignored anything you said; we seem to be on the same page that interaction with the dog better would ensure a closer bond. You just seem to be inclined to hate the idea that Respect must be earned and produced and that is what is called "Dominance"

You need to form a bond of respect, and with the knowledge of what the Dog can and can not do.
    I don't hate those concepts, I build my relationships with dogs on those, I do however hate the detrimental "ideas" behind what pop-culture "Dominance" brings with it. For good reasons, mind you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No there is no such thing as alpha anything. Those are called parents and this nonsense along with the lets anthropomorphis animals as are companions is honestly making matters worse.

He has to establish dominance period which at this point is nearly impossible because the dogs memory has him probably pegged.
    Actually "Alpha" always just meant the "First" or "primary" of the Pack or grouping. Or basically; the Leader or Leaders. It's not some magical rank earned only by beating all other males.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't hate those concepts, I build my relationships with dogs on those, I do however hate the detrimental "ideas" behind what pop-culture "Dominance" brings with it. For good reasons, mind you.
    And if you understood, I am not pushing a "pop-culture" Dominance idea, but the actual idea of dominance, which SHOULD come naturally to people.

So basically he refuses to use the term "Alpha" but his description describes that perfectly.
    Take from it what you will. He explains both what Alpha means, and why it's outdated with what we've learnt about wolf packs since that "study" of captive, unrelated wolves. The old notion of how wolves function, is behind pop-culture "Alpha theories" in relation to dog training.

Deleted
    Take from it what you will. He explains both what Alpha means, and why it's outdated with what we've learnt about wolf packs since that "study" of captive, unrelated wolves.
    No, he talks around the issue that Alpha has always meant "First" or "leader" since it was used in Greek times to donate concepts of such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually "Alpha" always just meant the "First" or "primary" of the Pack or grouping. Or basically; the Leader or Leaders. It's not some magical rank earned only by beating all other males.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you understood, I am not pushing a "pop-culture" Dominance idea, but the actual idea of dominance, which SHOULD come naturally to people.
    No it doesn't it's a made up bullshit term a lot of dipshit macho motherfuckers who get their fix off projecting on animals and things to make up for being fragile. It's the flip side of the issue using these dogs as a status symbol.

Like Paris uses them as a fashion accessory.

Akita's by nature have a dominant trait. They will push boundaries and the more they get away with it, the more it will influence them that they can get away with it.

As someone mentioned before, spend time with the dog. More than just feeding him. He needs to know who you are in the pack. Make sure he knows youre above him in rank and not just another pack member. Feed it treats when its in a submissive state. Make it sit before you give him food or a treat.

My family have had Huskys and Akita's for a long time. A good method of dominance is a game of tug of war. Especially if your Akita is playful and drops the toy when told. If he doesnt drop it, feed him a treat to make him drop it. This will associate dropping the toy with a treat. Do this repeatedly for a while and the dog will drop it each time you ask. The idea with this game is for you to win 4-5 games then let the Akita win one. Then you win a set number again and the Akita wins one. This is what my uncle has done and he's an obedience trainer. It does work. It asserts dominance but also doesn't teach frustration. When dogs lose at these games, just like humans they get annoyed and will try to assert dominance in other ways. So dont just continually win.

From what you've said it sounds like anxiety issues. Obviously being in a shelter has given him this which is such a shame as Akita's are very loyal dogs. But Dogs aren't just dumb animals. They feel abandoned when left for a long time or having to settle into a new home. Patience is the key here. It will be frustration but the more you persevere the bigger the reward.

Please dont take it back to the shelter. You've made a commitment to this dog. Dogs need stability. Not to be taken back to shelters every time some bozo cant handle them. Thats how a lot of dogs get behavioral problems. If you can't handle a dog, dont get one in the first place no matter what breed.

No, he talks around the issue that Alpha has always meant "First" or "leader" since it was used in Greek times to donate concepts of such.
    He's talking about what it's meant for how people viewed the structure within wolf packs, and why it's an outdated application.

Deleted
    No it doesn't it's a made up bullshit term a lot of dipshit macho motherfuckers who get their fix off projecting on animals and things to make up for being fragile. It's the flip side of the issue using these dogs as a status symbol.

Like Paris uses them as a fashion accessory.
    No, "Alpha" is literally means first.

We use it to describe the Leaders of packs and groups. Sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

He's talking about what it's meant for how people viewed the structure within wolf packs, and why it's an outdated application.
    Well, it's always been Anthropomorphism of Wolves. It would apply properly more to Humans or Gorillas. But it's hard to remove that human lens.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, "Alpha" is literally means first.

We use it to describe the Leaders of packs and groups. Sometimes.
    No it doesn't not even a little. I agreed with what you said up to the point someone with unrealistic expectations thinks this is Narnia, but the alpha nonsense is just that.

This has to do with establishing the kind of relationship that can be had. Which is he is part of the pack dominant and capable of drawing very clear boundaries.

The flip side of this which I'll give you credit for not doing is the kind of shit that crosses over into abuse and turns dogs insane.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-21 at 02:40 AM.

He has not shown any aggression towards me outside of his food source. I have played with him, played catch, petted, played in general with him. He has not show n any aggression or shown anything to make me think he is trying to assert dominance. Again I have never had any animal show aggression towards me or as much as growl at me so this is new.

My main concern is that being in the pound has made him develop an aggressive behavior and he will not curb the aggression. I do want to reiterate that we do not plan on having any kids around him until we are 100% sure. That is my main concern.

Deleted
    No it doesn't not even a little. I agreed with what you said up to the point someone with unrealistic expectations thinks this is Narnia, but the alpha nonsense is just that.

This has to do with establishing the kind of relationship that can be had. Which is he is part of the pack dominant and capable of drawing very clear boundaries.
    Oh make no mistake, I'm not arguing for the outdated idea of Alpha pack leaders and 100% NEVER saying trying to apply this to Dogs and people. But that when people jump quickly to to "Well actually there is no such thing as Alpha wolves" it's still wrong because we call the leaders of Wolf Packs Alphas anyway, We just correctly know the lead mating pair are what form the pack, not that the "Alpha" fights his way up the pack to become leader and that roles are established and kept.