Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You think in the 1970s they couldn't do the really simple mathematics of dividing money made by hours worked?
    thats not the point, genius.

Maybe Americans should stop dreaming and start doing.

Who knows, in a century or so the country's quality of life ratings might catch up to the rest of the developed world.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Majority of americans live in major cities. People refusing to leave their concrete jungle to the greener pasture of affordable housing is the chief cause of this problem. Solution is to move out of the city.
    Your proposal is to "live the American dream" by moving to somewhere with a lower quality of life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I would be very surprised if that factory employed even a tenth as many people as they're claiming (and that Walker and the Republicans are swallowing).

This is the company that is automating away Chinese workers. Workers that make about $2.50/hour.

If you think they aren't going to automate away every American worker possible, who start at three times that, you're out of your mind.
    They automated away 60,000 jobs at a single plant that paid between $1.80 to $2.20 an hour because it was cheaper to automated them than pay the wage and they are about to come to a place requiring minimum $7.25 an hour.

They are known for polluting local areas and have been given waivers to environmental standards for state lands.

They are known for forcing high school students to work for them without pay to be counted as school credit.

And they are getting 3 BILLION in subsidies to open there.

I expect to see them open up and invest heavily into setting up and automating the place to hell and back and employing many people to keep it going. Then to keep just enough going to keep the subsidizes paying to them, afterward, they go to skeleton crew and getting massive tax breaks to do it.

The best estimates put it at at least 20 years before the state even breaks even under ideal situations where they don't force them to spend money cleaning up the pollution they just legalized them to do or try and cut jobs or pay.

This is a horrible setup and will probably just cost the state money and get nothing tangible in return and should they ever try and force them to actually uphold their end of the bargain after the subsidizes, they can always just pack up and go elsewhere and just keep the 3 billion they got. What they got weren't even just tax breaks, they got it where they can cash in and get the 3 billion in actual cash given to them as I have read it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

If you want to achieve the American Dream, move to Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Cool? Pretty big aside to the point I was making.
    Facts are apparently a big aside to whatever you are on about anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    thats not the point, genius.
    It's never the point with alt-righters as long as said points aren't about maximizing the suffering to the biggest number of people, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    If you want to achieve the American Dream, move to Denmark.
    Or just any developed nation that isn't the US. There's a reason why a lot of scholars and experts now consider the US developing nation status on quite a few fronts like human rights, healthcare, education and distribution of wealth.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2017-09-21 at 04:55 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Majority of americans live in major cities. People refusing to leave their concrete jungle to the greener pasture of affordable housing is the chief cause of this problem. Solution is to move out of the city.
    I live in a town of 2000 people. All the houses in this town are over 100,000 to buy. The one right next door sold for $185,000. It is a 2 bedroom house 1 3rd the size of the house I grew up in with my parents, who owned their house. And they paid the equivalent of $65,000 for it if you take into account the inflation. At the time, they bought it for $22,000 in 1981. When they sold that very same house (Which they spent the amount of $65,000 in 2017 dollars) they sold it for $150,000. More than DOUBLE the value they paid for it. And the house had holes in the walls, a staircase that needed replaced. No efficient plumbing, still used a well for the bath and sinks and didnt have access to any reliable internet or commodities. It isn't just a problem in the big cities. With all the houses in the town I live in costing over $100,000 atm for 1-2 bedrooms I have no expectation to ever owning a home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not surprising given the wealth gap and rising inequality.
    Which makes it really shocking that Bernie couldn't even win the Primaries let alone get elected. The one candidate who was actually going to allow more people to achieve the American dream.
    How utterly tragic that they have to actually deal with the real world and not the fantasy that was peddled to them by those that indoctrinated them.

Instead of learning HOW to think when they are growing up, they are being told WHAT to think, and what they are being told is leading them to unreasonable expectations and destructive choices.

Making bad decisions early in live has real and lasting consequences. The accrual of massive debt early in life can and will haunt you for years, but they've been lead down this road of bad choices by those that indoctrinate them which is a double tragedy.

Home 'ownership' isn't really 'ownership'... even if your mortgage is paid off you still have to pay someone at regular intervals or they seize it... so you really never 'own' your home, you are given the illusion of owning it.

Consumer debt is best dealt with BEFORE you shoulder it, its much harder once you've let your greed or avarice overwhelm your reality.

Financial Literacy wont ever be taught because that would require a return to personal responsibility which would run counter to the propaganda state's position of 'you can have everything you want, just take it' and the precept of participation trophies.

Bernie's failure is because he was and is a snake oil salesman (like any other politician) and that the Owners of the Democrat Party were never going to let a carpetbagger bogart Hillary's chance at the White House.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Thanks for the weekly nation bashing thread.
    Did you already post your weekly fat shaming thread?

PS
    Also boot straps
    Also Canada's housing market is prime for a bubble burst. Have fun when it happens.
    It's going to be interesting who they blame when that bubble breaks... My money is they blame Bush and Trump.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Been owning in the burbs for the last 7 years, can confirm that all the other people my age (who are millenials) either are broke and rent in the city or have money and own property in the burbs.

@Seranthor

Sanders wasn't a snake oil salesman. He promised to fight for causes and he would have fought for them and they weren't entirely realistic policies proven around the world to work.

I have heard countless conservatives though who lack the world view to understand many of the stuff. They believe cutting corporate taxes creates jobs when it doesn't. They believe people are poor because they are lazy when that isn't the case most times, they believe that public healthcare would bankrupt us when it has proven to be cheaper than we have now and so on....

And they won't accept any facts that prove them wrong. They are too set in their ways and like you said, never learned how to think only way to think. And keep racking the nation up with debt because anything that actually takes care of it they see as freeloading or theft.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Obviously people are going to choose
    You would think, problem is not everyone has the same tastes or desires that you have... Some people rather enjoy their 2BR house and 1/2 acre of land for under $400 USD a month... you wont find that in a metropolis.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Maybe Americans should stop dreaming and start doing.
    Americans do a lot...we work more total hours per year than most other 1st world countries. Also we're the largest economy in the world.

Who knows, in a century or so the country's quality of life ratings might catch up to the rest of the developed world.
    Sorry for being 9th? That's above Canada, Sweden, Japan, and the UK btw.

Your proposal is to "live the American dream" by moving to somewhere with a lower quality of life?
    Hmmm...able to see the stars...not choking on pollution...don't have to live 2 feet from your neighbor...how is that a lower quality of life? Are you basing quality of life purely on access to Chipotle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    we dont have those people around but we have folks that are rightfully pissed of at the system where a 1 bedroom apartment costs 1500 dollars a month and we are supposed to finance that with 7 dollar wages really if you cant see how that doesnt work really feel sorry for your education
    It's your education that has failed you, which is really tragic. Personal responsibility and living within your means used to be a thing. Shame its no longer the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Been owning in the burbs for the last 7 years, can confirm that all the other people my age (who are millenials) either are broke and rent in the city or have money and own property in the burbs.
    I live on the outskirts of a town here, virtually all the younger ones are renting on the outskirts, the inside of town is mainly professionals who have money or the kids of people who have money or military men living on a BAH.

Out near Chapel Hill, I used to know friends who lived about 10 miles out of town, lived with about 9 people in a single roof with all of them splitting rent. When you got into town, never met a single worker outside of actual career fields who lived in town due to the costs of housing when I got to know them. Either you were someone with years of college under your belt or you lived out of town. Even the welders and such didn't typically stay in the city.

One of the weird things I saw out in chapel hill that weirded me out though, left a bar about 2:30am or so. All around town men were walking around just walking and holding hands in pairs. Not weird because it was men. To see this many doing this would have weirded you out no matter who it was. Was like something out of a Stephen King novel to build suspense. Was like 20+ pairs of guys just walking around slowly and holding hands in the middle of the night on the down town sidewalks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It's your education that has failed you, which is really tragic. Personal responsibility and living within your means used to be a thing. Shame its no longer the case.
    It seems as though economics and math has failed you on this one. Have to look at how the economy is and the labor market. As it stands, you are ignoring reality and making stuff up.

Edit: AFK, off to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Bernie Sanders was cheated out at the very beginning by the DNC, no ?

I hate cities, so I'd take the bottom one easy...
    While Bernie had his appeal for some, he was a carpetbagger and never going to get the DNC nomination. He was screwed from the beginning.

It's not really a problem of "living within your means" when rent is realistically around $1000 and the minimum wage is set below $15 (I'm just using that as a bench mark because that is around what the minimum wage would be if you adjusted appropriately). Add on costs of living like food, cell phone, transportation, electricity, internet (All utilities you essentially need in current times). It gets tight very quickly.
    Last edited by Sormine; 2017-09-21 at 05:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    When the green pastures of "affordable" housing can include functioning water systems, up to date electrical work and be near enough to a job hub, then maybe people will start living there.

Problem is, nobody wants to live in a shack in the middle of Kansas 45+ miles outside of Kansas City unless they are getting fucking paid.
    Well living in Topeka has always sucked, and I do feel sorry for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Were you in one of those white upper class high schools that actually had a track and football field?

We didn't even get home ec class in the back woods ass-county school I got, that's run by conservatives. Grats for having a school that gave a shit?
    Never did like the USD 501 schools.. I feel for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Sorry for being 9th?
    Don't apologise to me, I'm not the one who has to live there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    @Seranthor

Sanders wasn't a snake oil salesman. He promised to fight for causes and he would have fought for them and they weren't entirely realistic policies proven around the world to work.

I have heard countless conservatives though who lack the world view to understand many of the stuff. They believe cutting corporate taxes creates jobs when it doesn't. They believe people are poor because they are lazy when that isn't the case most times, they believe that public healthcare would bankrupt us when it has proven to be cheaper than we have now and so on....

And they won't accept any facts that prove them wrong. They are too set in their ways and like you said, never learned how to think only way to think. And keep racking the nation up with debt because anything that actually takes care of it they see as freeloading or theft.
    the Dems were NEVER going to let anyone that wasn't really a democrat (remember Sanders only joined the Dem party to make a run at the nomination) anywhere near that nomination. Sad, but its true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    It's not really a problem of "living within your means" when rent is realistically around $1000 and the minimum wage is set below $15 (I'm just using that as a bench mark because that is around what the minimum wage would be if you adjusted appropriately). Add on costs of living like food, cell phone, transportation, electricity, internet (All utilities you essentially need in current times). It gets tight very quickly.
    Never in my life have I had to pay $1k for rent, not anywhere I've lived. Even now with a 2BR house, 2car garage and 1/2 acre of land my mortgage is under $400 USD. Seems like I made better choices in my life with my education, life, and employment.

Deleted
    The American Dream is a lie pushed by the rich to fool the average man into thinking that one day, they too will be rich. That way, the average man will not support higher taxes for the rich and will allow legislation that allows the rich to get richer. Because you are gullible enough to think that one day you will be one of them.

Never in my life have I had to pay $1k for rent, not anywhere I've lived. Even now with a 2BR house, 2car garage and 1/2 acre of land my mortgage is under $400 USD. Seems like I made better choices in my life with my education, life, and employment.
    Better choices than who? I'm giving you statistical averages of real costs. You can say you haven't paid 1000 for rent in your life. That means you either haven't paid rent in the past few years, have been paying rent to someone who cut you a very good deal because you personally knew who they were, or you lived in a very economically stalled area.

Mortgage and rent are not the same thing, you can't expect people working near the minimum to operate like you.