Page 56 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    <lot of info snipped out for size>
    Yeah but I've read somewhere (God knows where, I tried finding it) that 7nm for GloFo will be between 7,2 and 7,3nm with prototyping.
    But like I said ... I can no longer find the source of where I read it but they already had more definitive numbers in any case.

As far as ASML goes... I'd like to remind a lot of people on this board that without ASML in the first place you wouldn't have had the technology to make this possible across the board for most, if not all, fabbers. (Intel, TSMC, GloFo, Samsung ... etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Nah, the feature is available on mine. Though there's a popup warning about needing a high-end cooler.
    Or... hear me out... use it as a cheaper electrical barbeque!
    300W use is less than an electrical barbeque would... just ignore the Intel logo that gets seared in
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Or... hear me out... use it as a cheaper electrical barbeque!
    300W use is less than an electrical barbeque would... just ignore the Intel logo that gets seared in
    I have it enabled on 6 machines 7900X (H100iv2) 7920X (H115i) no problem :P Though offset -0.020 from the stock VID table on the 7920X. 85C load apprx.

We're gonna get a watt-meter here soon though. For curiosity's sake.
    Last edited by Wries; 2017-09-21 at 11:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have it enabled on 6 machines 7900X (H100iv2) 7920X (H115i) no problem :P Though offset -0.020 from the stock VID table on the 7920X. 85C load apprx.

We're gonna get a watt-meter here soon though. For curiosity's sake.
    I dare you to run a recent Prime95 small FFT torture run with that... you're going to not keep up with that
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Yeah but I've read somewhere (God knows where, I tried finding it) that 7nm for GloFo will be between 7,2 and 7,3nm with prototyping.
    But like I said ... I can no longer find the source of where I read it but they already had more definitive numbers in any case.

As far as ASML goes... I'd like to remind a lot of people on this board that without ASML in the first place you wouldn't have had the technology to make this possible across the board for most, if not all, fabbers. (Intel, TSMC, GloFo, Samsung ... etc.)
    Thats Prolly GloFlo 7nm EUV (their 2nd gen 7NM proces) atleast i've read rumours for low 7.X nm numbers for that process, could have well been 7,2/7.3, hopefully coming in 2019 if ASML can finally meet de deadlines and deliver enough machines for mass production (Production forecasts for 2017 are again slashed in halve since they still have issues with the EUV machines, and are already 10 years overdue on their first target of bringing EUV to mass production in 2007)

See this image (Green are Intel 10nm and Samsung / Gloflo / TSMC first gen 7NM processes) however the formula here used is a older and less precise version of the ASML formula (less factors combined), so its less accurate than the earlier posted picture (which was made at a much later date) for those nodes, blue are expected values for upcoming nodes (2nd gen 7nm and whatever Intel will call their node after 10nm).

I dare you to run a recent Prime95 small FFT torture run with that... you're going to not keep up with that
    That will be much throttling unless very very good cooling :P
    Last edited by chronia; 2017-09-21 at 11:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah in P95 small FFT the AVX offset clock (-4 on the multiplier) kicks in, but if it wouldn't it then it would likely thermal throttle.

Keep in mind we're talking about around 1.2V (and 4.4-4.5) and not 1.3 which most OC reviews had to push to reach their 4.8-5GHz.

edit: Tried with my rig to force off the auto AVX offset and run it at 4.5GHz proper. It said nope pretty much on the moment the test started
    Last edited by Wries; 2017-09-21 at 05:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    <more info snipped for space>
    Quite possible but they mentioned DUV in there so I'm assuming it's actually the first process.
    And that would extend with EUV, doesn't really matter just yet anyway.. it's just interesting information for now.

That will be much throttling unless very very good cooling :P
    BUUUUUURN BABY ....... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah in P95 small FFT the AVX offset clock (-4 on the multiplier) kicks in, but if it wouldn't it then it would likely thermal throttle.

Keep in mind we're talking about around 1.2V (and 4.4-4.5) and not 1.3 which most OC reviews had to push to reach their 4.8-5GHz.

edit: Tried with my rig to force off the auto AVX offset and run it at 4.5GHz proper. It said nope pretty much on the moment the test started
    Warned you

Simply put the AIO doesn't have the thermal conductance that's high enough to absorb the energy to cool it down.
    It's OK though, we shouldn't expect chips like this to be capable of instant heat transfer... but it's fun to watch!

Also... GET REKT!

- - - Updated - - -

Also another update:

https://videocardz.com/72775/intel-p...r-x299-but-why

WHY IN THE NAME OF ZEUS' BUTT-HOLE WOULD YOU DO THIS?!

Quite possible but they mentioned DUV in there so I'm assuming it's actually the first process.
    And that would extend with EUV, doesn't really matter just yet anyway.. it's just interesting information for now.

BUUUUUURN BABY ....... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!

- - - Updated - - -

Warned you

Simply put the AIO doesn't have the thermal conductance that's high enough to absorb the energy to cool it down.
    It's OK though, we shouldn't expect chips like this to be capable of instant heat transfer... but it's fun to watch!

Also... GET REKT!

- - - Updated - - -

Also another update:

https://videocardz.com/72775/intel-p...r-x299-but-why

WHY IN THE NAME OF ZEUS' BUTT-HOLE WOULD YOU DO THIS?!
    Only thing i can think off out of my head is for something like this if OEM's like Dell / HP are going to release Socket 2066 Entry level servers seeing that there are no Coffee Lake based S1151 Xeons announced. Something like this, but then Socket 2066. http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...=410_customize where i3's are actually a configurable option
    Last edited by chronia; 2017-09-21 at 10:21 PM.

Maybe it's a processor for people that want to go 8ghz on LN2 or somethig. Still stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only thing i can think off out of my head is for something like this if OEM's like Dell / HP are going to release Socket 2066 Entry level servers seeing that there are no Coffee Lake based S1151 Xeons announced. Something like this, but then Socket 2066. http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...=410_customize where i3's are actually a configurable option
    There will be Coffee Lake Xeons, LCC Xeons are always announced after the release of the consumer variants.

So no that reasoning wouldn't hold up and as a platform X299 (and the Xeon chipset variant thereof) is stupidly expensive, it would make no sense in the enterprise world.

The only thing I can think of is for them to get rid of some Kaby Lake stock as the dies are the LGA1151 on an LGA2066 substrate.

So no that reasoning wouldn't hold up and as a platform X299 (and the Xeon chipset variant thereof) is stupidly expensive, it would make no sense in the enterprise world.
    That's exactly where they will sell it. Entry level business workstation by Dell/HP/etc.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-87...ocking-leaked/

The Intel Core i7-8700K will be the flagship processor of the lineup. It will feature 6 cores and 12 threads. The chip will be compatible with the LGA 1151 socket and rumors are that board makers will extend support of Coffee Lake onto 200-series and even 100-series platforms.
    Intel Core i7-8700K 5.3 GHz and Intel Core i3-8350K 5.0 GHz Overclock Possible On Good AIO Coolers

Now when it comes to overclocking, there are kind of mixed reports. One Chinese source has said that 5.3 GHz on the Core i7-8700K and 5.0 GHz on the Core i3-8350K are possible with simple core tuning but you would require a good AIO cooler or high-end air coolers to keep these chips cooler under load.

Expreview points out that the chips will have really low voltage which means that overclockability will be generally higher but as soon as the chips start going beyond 5.0 GHz, there’s a overheating issue. The reason cited is use of TIM (Thermal Interface Material) instead of solder. Now Intel has been using TIM on their chips for several generations but it remains to be seen just how far these chips can be pushed on standard air and liquid coolers at full load before heat becomes an issue. Expect more details on the Coffee Lake chips in the coming weeks.
    even 5.0 sounds fantastic tbh, too good to be true even

4.8 GHz hexacore should satisfy 99.9% of people out there

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That's exactly where they will sell it. Entry level business workstation by Dell/HP/etc.
    None of them are stupid enough to get an X299 variant Skylake-X when you can get any socket 1151 and literally have the same options with lower power use and cheaper platform costs for a dual-core system.

No business is that stupid... I friggin' hope.

Expreview points out that the chips will have really low voltage which means that overclockability will be generally higher but as soon as the chips start going beyond 5.0 GHz, there’s a overheating issue. The reason cited is use of TIM (Thermal Interface Material) instead of solder. Now Intel has been using TIM on their chips for several generations but it remains to be seen just how far these chips can be pushed on standard air and liquid coolers at full load before heat becomes an issue. Expect more details on the Coffee Lake chips in the coming weeks.
    I am almost sad I have managed to fix my computer. I have a decently large urge to delid and conductonaut one of these coffee lake doohickeys to see what difference it makes.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

None of them are stupid enough to get an X299 variant Skylake-X when you can get any socket 1151 and literally have the same options with lower power use and cheaper platform costs for a dual-core system.

No business is that stupid... I friggin' hope.
    You overestimate non IT businesses. They normally pick from a list. I have often seen them ordering 200 entry level workstations for office staff with the only recommendation being what the PC is grouped under.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...-allow-it.html

Little bit more information regarding chipset "limitations".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    You overestimate non IT businesses. They normally pick from a list. I have often seen them ordering 200 entry level workstations for office staff with the only recommendation being what the PC is grouped under.
    I've not seen any company do that here, even non-IT ones.

But that said I've only been to a handful in comparison to how many there are here in the Netherlands.

Intel being greedy fuckers again, not surprised. I feel for the people that bought Kabylake that basically gets thrown in the trash after 9 months. I mean, progress is inevitable, but still... it's a dick move from them.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-09-23 at 10:22 AM.

weird, but I dont see a situation where someone with a Kaby and a Z170/Z270 mobo would go out and buy a Z370, while keeping their Kaby ... generally you dont do that

still a chance that maybe some Z170/Z270 will get BIOS updates to support Coffee .. hope dies last

New info also shows that the new 6-core procs can do an all-core 5 GHz overclock on a proper air cooler / liquid cooling without too much complication.
    nice !

if its all thanks to the 14++nm process then Intel fabs are really the best Id say

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    weird, but I dont see a situation where someone with a Kaby and a Z170/Z270 mobo would go out and buy a Z370, while keeping their Kaby ... generally you dont do that

still a chance that maybe some Z170/Z270 will get BIOS updates to support Coffee .. hope dies last
    Keep holding that breath... it'll be a while (read: NEVER) before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    nice !

if its all thanks to the 14++nm process then Intel fabs are really the best Id say
    Actually at this point it's more due to the uArch than it is process.
    Fabs only go so far as to allow it, the uArch is the one to either handle it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Intel being greedy fuckers again, not surprised. I feel for the people that bought Kabylake that basically gets thrown in the trash after 9 months. I mean, progress is inevitable, but still... it's a dick move from them.
    Coffee Lake isn't really intended as an upgrade for those on Skylake/Kaby Lake. It is heavily implied that Coffee Lake is for those still clinging to Sandy and Ivy Bridge, possibly even Haswell.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://videocardz.com/72817/intel-c...70-controversy

In before Coffee Lake is an MCM design to which they were making fun of AMD of using!