Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If we were inside a simulation, what difference would it even make?

What feels real, might as well be considered real for all the practical purposes I could think of.

For us nothing would change even if we were to undeniably realize that we're indeed inside of a simulation.

Do you think we'd change the ways we're living today or do you believe we'd just go on with our daily business?

What feels real, might as well be considered real for all the practical purposes I could think of.

For us nothing would change even if we were to undeniably realize that we're indeed inside of a simulation.

Do you think we'd change the ways we're living today or do you believe we'd just go on with our daily business?
    I would enjoy seeing all the religious fuckwads freak out and kill each other.
    Also: It would mean I'm an AI, and my conscience is data that can be reused.
    Which is a whole lot higher chance of future existence than "when god sees fit he will resurrect me, but until then, to the void with you"

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-09-21 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prince oberyn martell View Post
    well, if every person i shoot is worth 100 points and at the end they wake me up and go like: "dude, you didn't kill any people, scored no points. You failed the simulation, now your family will get no money."

that might be a problem.
    this guy has the right idea

The religious would lose their shit, and it would make for interesting philosophical (and maybe physics) discussions, but otherwise not much. It's one of those things that we probably can't prove or disprove anyway, so the idea is pretty much useless beyond a thought experiment.

It's called solipsism man and you should read into some of the stuff people believe in.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2017-09-21 at 02:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone just watched the Kurzgesagt video.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    We'll just have to see what happens when we set foot on Mars.

For all we know it could be simulations all the way down or this could be it. One shot and one chance.

Consciousness is inherently difficult to comprehend and define in the first place.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Of course it would change. For a start, we would finally know there is an eye in the sky. It would be a catastrophic change for the worse, I believe; all those centuries proving our world works without input from an outside entity would be shot to hell.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course we're in a simulation, how else would you explain the universe? Every current scientific theory is leaning towards a simulated universe, they are just calling it something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    I'm not sure where you want people to go with this? How sick are you? You would enjoy seeing people freak out and kill each other? Guess what? If these "religious fuckwads freak out," they would be killing each other, but they would also be killing the rest of us, and our families; including you. Also, here's a fucking tidbit of reality: Seeing someone be shot to death right in front of you, whether it's friend or the asshole that was just trying to kill you, is not the same as it is in video games.

Only on the internet, in High School, and the homes of alt-right and alt-left could you find a statement so utterly disgusting as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    all those centuries proving our world works without input from an outside entity would be shot to hell.
    Except it wouldn't. We may discover that something/someone set the parameters for how the "world works" but that wouldn't change what we've observed about that how. You don't look at a ball rolling down a hill differently if it got started rolling due to wind or someone pushing it.

What if we're all ghosts and in hell right now and hell is actually in the dream of an alien and the alien is actually a robot and that robot requires energy to live so they conquered the race that created them and put them in pods to suck the energy out of them and keep them asleep while letting their minds explore a matrix and in that matrix Tupac was still alive and living in Cuba?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by joeymagz View Post
    I'm not sure where you want people to go with this? How sick are you? You would enjoy seeing people freak out and kill each other? Guess what? If these "religious fuckwads freak out," they would be killing each other, but they would also be killing the rest of us, and our families; including you. Also, here's a fucking tidbit of reality: Seeing someone be shot to death right in front of you, whether it's friend or the asshole that was just trying to kill you, is not the same as it is in video games.

Only on the internet, in High School, and the homes of alt-right and alt-left could you find a statement so utterly disgusting as yours.
    Sorry, I'm a Sociopath. Of course it would be tragic and brutal. I literally don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

Unless the people running the simulation start intervening directly I doubt it would make much difference to people's everyday life.

Also: It would mean I'm an AI, and my conscience is data that can be reused.
    Which is a whole lot higher chance of future existence than "when god sees fit he will resurrect me, but until then, to the void with you"
    Are you sure religious people wouldn't feel vindicated if it was proved that the universe was built by a creator with confirmed methods of giving you an after-life?

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    It's called solipsism man and you should read into some of the stuff people believe in.
    It's not exactly solipsism (though some forms of solipsism do consider similar problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Except it wouldn't. We may discover that something/someone set the parameters for how the "world works" but that wouldn't change what we've observed about that how. You don't look at a ball rolling down a hill differently if it got started rolling due to wind or someone pushing it.
    Yes, but all today's science deniers would get even more emboldened (if that is even possible). After all, can you promise them no one will change the simulation parameters overnight?

Sorry, I'm a Sociopath. Of course it would be tragic and brutal. I literally don't give a fuck.
    At least you know who you are. Many people cannot say the same. Now back to the discussion!

Honestly, if it were proven that we truly are inside of a Simulator like the Matrix or whatever, then I wouldn't change a thing. Just like I hope I wouldn't change a thing if I won the lottery. However, my advice to people banking on the Simulator Theory: please don't do anything fucking crazy until there is actual proof that we're in a Simulator. Proof would be like 15 of your neighbors suddenly turning into Agent Smith when he punches them in the chest. If you see that shit, it's probably time to go wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Yes, but all today's science deniers would get even more emboldened (if that is even possible). After all, can you promise them no one will change the simulation parameters overnight?
    They (and by this I assume we're talking about people who believe in miracles...religious or otherwise) already believe that the simulation's parameters can change a whim. After all, water doesn't spontaneously turn into wine and the legitimately dead don't come back to life. So any inconsistencies they might get hung up on when it comes to a science-based view of reality are buried under the inconsistencies and outright hypocrisies of their own worldview.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Are you sure religious people wouldn't feel vindicated if it was proved that the universe was built by a creator with confirmed methods of giving you an after-life?
    It's not the same thing as an omnipotent being. The creator of a simulation (or creators, as a dev. team) are not infallible.
    Meaning the legend that god loves all and forgives and welcomes all to his side in the afterlife, is literal BS. (as it is now)

I sometimes see weird glitches... could be me daydreaming, or being tired.

Like one time I was driving home following a car, and then I got lost in thought. Like a 100 meters later there was another car in front of me, while there was no crossing. So the car literally vanished. (I take the route almost every day so I know it well).

Deleted
    Knowing things is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Someone just watched the Kurzgesagt video.
    You connected the dots quite well