Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So yet ANOTHER officer involved shooting where they kill someone with no criminal background, who posed no immediate threat to them, and wasn't even a suspect in anything. Instead of tazering him, they opened fire and killed him. All because he couldn't hear them even though people were screaming at the officers that the man was deaf...
    Even if he can't hear, he still saw police aiming guns at him, and he came at them with a weapon. The fact that he is deaf is irrelevant. However, given what he did, it seems he is deaf and dumb. Did you see what I did there...with the...and the....bah never mind.....
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-09-21 at 03:14 PM.

Police that should this should be charged for murder/manslaughter and be sued out of their pension funds.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How dare you abuse the fact I just woke up and read this shitty thread!? I'll have you know I'm being tested for blindness today!

Either way, cops should have only tazed the guy. Any more than that was unnecessary and overkill (literally).
    Did they have tazers? Was the range appropriate to use them? Was the target wearing thick clothing? The real facts of the situation matter. Just sayin...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Why did they feel the need to taser AND shoot him? What were they thinking? "OH NO He's not flopping around on the ground enough!! Plug him full of holes!!!!!"

It's getting to the point that cops need to have a taser, an asp, and handcuffs. You get a gun but its in the trunk of the car and you have to have authorization for Sargent or above to unlock it for you.
    It's more then likely that they both fired at the same time not that he was razed first then shot while on the ground.

Charge them. No body-cams and he posed no immediate threat to them, there was 0 reason to fatally shoot him. And as police, you should always be aware of surrounding, then they might've heard that the guy was deaf.

How dare you abuse the fact I just woke up and read this shitty thread!? I'll have you know I'm being tested for blindness today!

Either way, cops should have only tazed the guy. Any more than that was unnecessary and overkill (literally).
    Agreed
    10/char

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    in which case those people with that level of disabilities need to have 24/hr care most likely, cause their are likely other issues beyond interacting with the police that need to be addressed.
    Why would they need 24 hour care? A lot of disabled people can get by just fine and Don't need to be watched 24/7. This guy wasn't out in public in the city he was at his house he probably didn't go out alone but was probably fine at his house/ on his street.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Did they have tazers? Was the range appropriate to use them? Was the target wearing thick clothing? The real facts of the situation matter. Just sayin...
    It says one of the officers shot there taser the other shot his gun.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Why would they need 24 hour care? A lot of disabled people can get by just fine and Don't need to be watched 24/7. This guy wasn't out in public in the city he was at his house he probably didn't go out alone but was probably fine at his house/ on his street.

- - - Updated - - -

b.c if you are not able to understand the concept of not approaching anyone with a gun pointed at you... i'm guessing there is a lot more going on.

just add it wasn't a good shot (less more evidence comes out) but it's also not one that i think the cop should be in jail for.
    Last edited by cuafpr; 2017-09-21 at 03:36 PM.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Yeah, those mentally disabled fucks, ruining it for the rest of the mentally disabled.

Remember if you have to be around a cop to speak very softly and slowly, and make large exaggerated slow movements so they don't get spooked and blow you away.
    I bet you don't have experience with many cops. In fact, I bet your entire experience with the police forces comes from you googling videos where police has failed to live up to their standard in order to justify your opinion.

If I wanted to hate black people I could search for "Black person does X illegal thing" and find tons of it in order to feel good about my clearly flawed opinion. However, just because it is there doesn't mean it represents the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaransan View Post
    Well.. for one thing most cops have this little doohickey in their car that lets them look up your criminal history, and is something they typically do enroute to a call.
    call was made on his father not him
    And second people were literally yelling that the guy couldn't hear them.
    For the most part when you engage an armed individual, you ignore third parties.

Even if you assume the guy was going to attack them, he was carrying a single, blunt, melee weapon. You'll note that of the two cops one tased him and that only the cop who used a gun was put on administrative leave.
    Usage of force guideline says he has a weapon and was approaching them they are clear to use deadly force.

Thats because ONE cop did things by the book, and ONE cop is a dumb shithead.
    You are wrong but hey whatever

Cops in America have a SHIT TON of options for use of force. They are taught how to use those options. half of all their training is focused on a use of force wheel dictating what level of force to bring to a situation.
    actually it's only a 12 hour class. I've been through it.

Try to understand that people don't get mad that cops are shooting people who are threatening them. Theyre getting mad that cops are completely ignoring their training and jumping from a fairly low threat level to Kill on Sight at the drop of a hat.
    You are completely ignorant of theri training yet you feel you are able to judge them.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Why in the world would he shoot to kill in this situation? Regardless of criminal records, guy having a cane, witnesses, any other piece of information, this does not go past the fact he did not need to shoot to kill.

One of the few threads in this site where the cop is clearly at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So there you go. Will anyone champion the cop who made the decision they think both should have made? Doubtful. That doesn't fit the narrative.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    b.c if you are not able to understand the concept of not approaching anyone with a gun pointed at you... i'm guessing there is a lot more going on.
    That's really not how mentill disability works.

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    I bet you don't have experience with many cops. In fact, I bet your entire experience with the police forces comes from you googling videos where police has failed to live up to their standard in order to justify your opinion.

If I wanted to hate black people I could search for "Black person does X illegal thing" and find tons of it in order to feel good about my clearly flawed opinion. However, just because it is there doesn't mean it represents the norm.
    I feel bad for the good police who I genuinely believe are the majority.

But that said, the majority are doing a piss-poor job of taking out the minority. Even when police do come to trial by the dozens in recent years, they never get convictions, even on blatantly obvious cases.

Is that simple prosecutorial incompetence, or are they intentionally sinking their efforts with overcharging or with poorly-run trials? Is it more racism in the courtroom? Is it evidence of systemic bias - if so of what kind?

End result, all police need to be considered a threat. Most people will interpret that as be very careful not to provoke or escalate, others will interpret that as standing their ground firmly and taking no shit. All of it will make the bad cops even more trigger happy and the good cops even more scared.

Something's got to break here. The current situation is bad and it's only getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    call was made on his father not him

For the most part when you engage an armed individual, you ignore third parties.

Usage of force guideline says he has a weapon and was approaching them they are clear to use deadly force.

You are wrong but hey whatever

actually it's only a 12 hour class. I've been through it.

You are completely ignorant of theri training yet you feel you are able to judge them.
    Perhaps its different in America but I have infact undergone the Canadian equivalent of said training. Wherein someones life had to be actively in danger for a gun to come out and you better be prepared to write a report on why you felt that was the case. As threatening as Im sure a man walking at you with a blunt object is, I wouldnt classify it as imminently life threatening when, as previously mentioned, you have other ranged means of subduing the guy. Like a god damn taser.

Your argument seems to be that the cops are entitled to lethal force when presented with anything even vaguely a threat. That doesn't denote levels of force. Thats two modes. Not kill and kill.

Even I managed to read that they tazed AND shot him... which would you think is the better of the two to have used?
    I don't have knowledge of the exact situation, or the training the cops do. However, obviously it's always preferred to not kill a person acting out a mental problem. If he could have been safely tazed, without the officers being put at risk, then that is a great outcome, obviously.

Nobody is pro killing of criminals, at least not by cops at the scene. But we all seem to disagree on what is appropriate, and what is not. Often posters seem to forget that there are twice as many guns in the US as there are people. Our police interactions are impacted by that DRAMATICALLY. Telling us we should operate like they do in countries with zero citizen fire arms is a bit silly, imho. (speaking partly to the general thread, not you specifically)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So there you go. Will anyone champion the cop who made the decision they think both should have made? Doubtful. That doesn't fit the narrative.
    I don't quite think they should be championed not that I think the other one should be vilified. I think it's good to look at cases like this and use them as examples where more training is needed instead of trying to jump on the cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    You have mace, and a taser... and people telling you he cannot hear.
    I already agreed that he wasn't trained properly. They didn't hear the people telling him he can't hear. They made a statement about it.

Not all disabilities are "visible"... for instance Schizophrenia, or Autism:
    That was my point. They didn't know. All they saw was a man coming at them with a weapon as they were responding to a serious crime.

Yeah, if you have an issue with fear, don't be a cop. I would not be a cop because I do not like confrontation. I also startle easily... I am not a good candidate for that type of work.
    There's no such thing as a person without fear. Even psychopaths have the fear of death. No one is telling you to be a cop, but if you were to become one, you'd do the same shit.

A cop, a person that is supposed to put their life on the line to protect the community should understand that their job is dangerous, no one forced them to be a cop.
    They know it CAN be dangerous. Many of my family are cops, or were cops at some point, and almost all of them tell me that they don't typically run into violent people. One of them said he's never had to use a gun.

But what you're saying is that the million or so cops are all bad or becoming this massive problem when the studies show there hasn't been an increase in violence towards cops or from cops.

The states do have a problem with cops becoming militarized, though.
    Last edited by urasim; 2017-09-21 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I feel bad for the good police who I genuinely believe are the majority.

But that said, the majority are doing a piss-poor job of taking out the minority. Even when police do come to trial by the dozens in recent years, they never get convictions, even on blatantly obvious cases.

Is that simple prosecutorial incompetence, or are they intentionally sinking their efforts with overcharging or with poorly-run trials? Is it more racism in the courtroom? Is it evidence of systemic bias - if so of what kind?

End result, all police need to be considered a threat. Most people will interpret that as be very careful not to provoke or escalate, others will interpret that as standing their ground firmly and taking no shit. All of it will make the bad cops even more trigger happy and the good cops even more scared.

Something's got to break here. The current situation is bad and it's only getting worse.
    Do you think the guy who shot in this case is a bad/corrupt cop? I'd think he was under trained not that he was going out to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Was he approaching the cop with the metal rod while the cop was visibly pointing a gun at him?
    If so the cop did nothing wrong.

International Global, Universally known approaching a law enforcement officer with anything that looks like a weapon will get you killed.
    That's Stockholm syndrome. You are a hostage to the violence that perpetrates American society. Common sense would dictate that the ONLY reason why we give guns and a license for violence to police offers is because we trust them to be better than average people in responding to crisis situations. What you get instead, are people who respond WORSE by drawing weapons and killing people who present marginal threats at best.

A proper police officer should disarm the civilian by non-lethal means and deal with him appropriately after that. A badge is not a license to kill, even if its out of a fear for your own life. We pay these people and venerate them for the exact reason that we expect them to be heroic in dealing with situations like these, and not shoot at first provocation.