Fixed
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Goriq killed the thread. RIP
    Posting seriously in 2017 LUL

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Posting seriously in 2017 LUL
    Posting with out a waifu ava/sig combo. LUL

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Posting with out a waifu ava/sig combo. LUL
    Well I'm not a weeb so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I believe that is sufficient evidence to have him hanged for betraying his waifus.

Caught up on Aho Girl last night. Had to pause it a few times I was laughing so hard and it was going so fast.

About.....26ish episodes into Twin Star. 7/10. Great to fall asleep to. Still weird with the whole actiony vibe with the rando "lol these kids are married have a baby" gags.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

What a journey this was.

I was determined to watch all of this over the course of my summer break and I made it with just two weeks to go. I managed to watch 50 episodes in just a week but the rest took me almost 5 times as long to complete. I won't say that I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I knew that I was about to start an anime that largely focusses on politics and strategy, both of which I'm not particularly fond of, to say the least.

That being said I probably enjoyed the first 30 episodes the most. Past that point there were long stretches of 10 episodes at a time in which not much of importance happened nor was the time needed to really set up any upcoming events either. The show was merely meandering around.

The show's musings on what a good autocracy is to a bad democracy were interesting but ultimately went mostly unexplored, which is a shame since I felt that the show lost a lot of momentum and meaning past Yang Wenli's untimely and anticlimactic death. Julian unfortunately couldn't take his place as leader of the alliance as I found him to be an incredibly uninteresting character. I thought he was bland and without any real flaws, traits or conflicts to distinguish him as much as he should've been.

"For the sake of democracy" was also not a strong enough reason for me to really be able to still cheer on the Alliance past Yang's death. I did not see a reason for further war at that point, especially considering how weak they were by that time.

In a lot of cases it seemed as though the author wanted to make some events happen by any means, such as Reuental's rebellion.

I'm often apprehensive about starting long anime because I have a hard time simply just dropping something and this anime is one example of a time where I should've trusted myself more. It's not like I didn't enjoy watching this but I can't deny that I feel like I could've spent my time on something that I would've enjoyed more than this.

I'm not completely confident in my current rating but I will settle on a 7.5/10 for now.

I'm glad you wrote this. I tried to watch it as it is often recommended and on many people's top 10 list.

To sum up my impression of it, great spaceship battles and long drawn out tedious dialog.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    So, I read Doki Doki Literature Club.

It was definitely a unique experience. Which is surprising, since it's not even a Japanese-made VN, but an English one. And it's certainly the best English VN I've ever read (not that there is tough competition). I can't really go into detail without spoiling anything, but it's more than just the school life moe that it appears to be.

I know there are some who won't bother reading it, so I'll explain the VN in spoiler tags. But if you are even slightly interested, I'd suggest checking it out first. It's not very long - it's like 3-4 hours, max. You can download it for free on their website.

Spoiler: 
    The VN starts out like any generic anime. You need to look for a club, and you end up joining the literature club which happens to be full of cute girls. There's all the tropes: the genki childhood friend, the mysterious shy beauty, the super popular club president, and a tsundere.

Everything plays out fairly normal for the first half of the VN. Since the club has gained a new member, the president decides everyone should write a poem which can be shared among the club, as a way for everyone to get a little bit closer. At the end of every day, you go through a short mini-game choosing words for your poem. The words correlate to a specific girl in the club, so depending on which words you choose, you will have a special scene with a certain girl the next day. You might notice a few oddities around this time, but for the most part, it's still fairly normal.

After three days of this, you begin to notice your childhood friend (who originally invited you to the club) is acting strange. She is normally the energetic type: the one who is good with people, always laughing and making friends with everyone, but ever since you've joined the club she's been a bit different. You decide to check up on her on the weekend.

This is where things start to become a bit serious. Apparently, she's suffering from major depression. Perhaps it should have been obvious earlier: you thought she was always late to school because she was lazy and slept in, but in reality she struggles to even find the motivation to leave her bed every morning. All in all, her happy persona is just a facade, as she is incapable of finding any enjoyment in her day to day life. Things got worse when you joined the club and started to become friends with the other girls. She's afraid you will be taken away, and she'll truly be alone.

You try your best to cheer her up. However, the next day, when you decide to check on her again, you see this.

The VN ends. You are brought back to the title screen. Instead of 'New Game', there is only gibberish. Clicking it allows you to restart the game.

This time around, you are not greeted by your childhood friend. In fact, she does not even seem to exist. It is the president who invites you to the club this time, which only had three members before you.

Things continue the same as before. But you might notice a few strange things here and there: the in-game sprites seem to glitch out sometimes, the music becomes a bit distorted, and the characters are increasingly off-putting.

Eventually, you find out the 'mysterious shy girl' is a victim of self-harm, and is incredibly unhinged. The tsundere is worried about her, but the club pres does not seem to care at all. This ends up climaxing with the shy girl confessing to you. When you reject her, she stabs herself, and dies. You are forced to watch her for the entire weekend before the other members return. (nsfw) The club pres apologizes to you, saying the script must have been boring.

The game ends. When you restart it again, you are met with this. The club prez greets you. But she does not greet the character you are playing as, but quite literally you. It even pulls your real name from your windows account.

It's kind of hard to explain in a summary, but overall, she has been aware this entire time that she is in a game. She has been trying to spend time with you, but the choices of the game all focus on the other girls, so she wasn't able to. So she had to alter the game herself, including outright deleting the other girls from the game. She isn't exaggerating, as if you go to the game's directory, those girls' files are completely gone.

With everyone else gone, she has you all to herself. The next hour or so involves you just sitting with her. From time to time, she will talk about various things, like real life issues, or other meta commentary (such as mocking the yandere trope). The text dialog box will disappear whenever she doesn't have something to say so you can just stare into her eyes. You cannot skip any of this. In fact, if you try to, she will take that function away from the VN. If you exit the game and boot it back up, you are brought right back to her. She will make commentary on how it feels when you quit the game - it's like she's dying when you do it, and she hates it. (it's actually quite depressing).

The only way to escape is to do what she did to the other girls: delete her directly from the game directory. She curses you at first, but eventually realizes she still loves you, and fixes the game as one last proof of this. She hopes it is still possible for everyone to be happy.

When you restart it, everything appears normal. The only difference is the club pres is no longer in the game - your childhood friend is now the club president. There are even various hints that the girls in the club are perfectly happy, and not going through any mental issues.

However, your childhood friend eventually takes you aside, and tells you she knows everything. Apparently she gained this knowledge after becoming club president. And she intends to do the exact same thing to you, and keep you all for herself.

But the old club president is still hanging on, and she tells you through distorted text that she won't let that happen. She realizes that happiness is impossible after all. The VN cuts out.

In the background, a voice explains how she wrote a song and has been waiting a long time for you to hear it. The credits roll as she sings it while playing the piano.

After the credits, the VN ends. If you try to restart it, it tells you the game is corrupt, and you must reinstall. The end.

I might have made it sound stupid or something, but overall, it was written pretty well. Even the serious topics like depression were handled with care, and not just thrown in for dumb shock value. The mechanics of the game fucking up were quite cool. I noticed afterwards that files were actually being generated in the game directory mid-playthrough, like this one. It was definitely a unique experience as I haven't seen this done before, besides that one yandere vn.

But I feel depressed there's no happy ending. Monika is literally perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    So, I read Doki Doki Literature Club.

It was definitely a unique experience. Which is surprising, since it's not even a Japanese-made VN, but an English one. And it's certainly the best English VN I've ever read (not that there is tough competition). I can't really go into detail without spoiling anything, but it's more than just the school life moe that it appears to be.

I know there are some who won't bother reading it, so I'll explain the VN in spoiler tags. But if you are even slightly interested, I'd suggest checking it out first. It's not very long - it's like 3-4 hours, max. You can download it for free on their website.

Spoiler: 
    The VN starts out like any generic anime. You need to look for a club, and you end up joining the literature club which happens to be full of cute girls. There's all the tropes: the genki childhood friend, the mysterious shy beauty, the super popular club president, and a tsundere.

Everything plays out fairly normal for the first half of the VN. Since the club has gained a new member, the president decides everyone should write a poem which can be shared among the club, as a way for everyone to get a little bit closer. At the end of every day, you go through a short mini-game choosing words for your poem. The words correlate to a specific girl in the club, so depending on which words you choose, you will have a special scene with a certain girl the next day. You might notice a few oddities around this time, but for the most part, it's still fairly normal.

After three days of this, you begin to notice your childhood friend (who originally invited you to the club) is acting strange. She is normally the energetic type: the one who is good with people, always laughing and making friends with everyone, but ever since you've joined the club she's been a bit different. You decide to check up on her on the weekend.

This is where things start to become a bit serious. Apparently, she's suffering from major depression. Perhaps it should have been obvious earlier: you thought she was always late to school because she was lazy and slept in, but in reality she struggles to even find the motivation to leave her bed every morning. All in all, her happy persona is just a facade, as she is incapable of finding any enjoyment in her day to day life. Things got worse when you joined the club and started to become friends with the other girls. She's afraid you will be taken away, and she'll truly be alone.

You try your best to cheer her up. However, the next day, when you decide to check on her again, you see this.

The VN ends. You are brought back to the title screen. Instead of 'New Game', there is only gibberish. Clicking it allows you to restart the game.

This time around, you are not greeted by your childhood friend. In fact, she does not even seem to exist. It is the president who invites you to the club this time, which only had three members before you.

Things continue the same as before. But you might notice a few strange things here and there: the in-game sprites seem to glitch out sometimes, the music becomes a bit distorted, and the characters are increasingly off-putting.

Eventually, you find out the 'mysterious shy girl' is a victim of self-harm, and is incredibly unhinged. The tsundere is worried about her, but the club pres does not seem to care at all. This ends up climaxing with the shy girl confessing to you. When you reject her, she stabs herself, and dies. You are forced to watch her for the entire weekend before the other members return. (nsfw) The club pres apologizes to you, saying the script must have been boring.

The game ends. When you restart it again, you are met with this. The club prez greets you. But she does not greet the character you are playing as, but quite literally you. It even pulls your real name from your windows account.

It's kind of hard to explain in a summary, but overall, she has been aware this entire time that she is in a game. She has been trying to spend time with you, but the choices of the game all focus on the other girls, so she wasn't able to. So she had to alter the game herself, including outright deleting the other girls from the game. She isn't exaggerating, as if you go to the game's directory, those girls' files are completely gone.

With everyone else gone, she has you all to herself. The next hour or so involves you just sitting with her. From time to time, she will talk about various things, like real life issues, or other meta commentary (such as mocking the yandere trope). The text dialog box will disappear whenever she doesn't have something to say so you can just stare into her eyes. You cannot skip any of this. In fact, if you try to, she will take that function away from the VN. If you exit the game and boot it back up, you are brought right back to her. She will make commentary on how it feels when you quit the game - it's like she's dying when you do it, and she hates it. (it's actually quite depressing).

The only way to escape is to do what she did to the other girls: delete her directly from the game directory. She curses you at first, but eventually realizes she still loves you, and fixes the game as one last proof of this. She hopes it is still possible for everyone to be happy.

When you restart it, everything appears normal. The only difference is the club pres is no longer in the game - your childhood friend is now the club president. There are even various hints that the girls in the club are perfectly happy, and not going through any mental issues.

However, your childhood friend eventually takes you aside, and tells you she knows everything. Apparently she gained this knowledge after becoming club president. And she intends to do the exact same thing to you, and keep you all for herself.

But the old club president is still hanging on, and she tells you through distorted text that she won't let that happen. She realizes that happiness is impossible after all. The VN cuts out.

In the background, a voice explains how she wrote a song and has been waiting a long time for you to hear it. The credits roll as she sings it while playing the piano.

After the credits, the VN ends. If you try to restart it, it tells you the game is corrupt, and you must reinstall. The end.

I might have made it sound stupid or something, but overall, it was written pretty well. Even the serious topics like depression were handled with care, and not just thrown in for dumb shock value. The mechanics of the game fucking up were quite cool. I noticed afterwards that files were actually being generated in the game directory mid-playthrough, like this one. It was definitely a unique experience as I haven't seen this done before, besides that one yandere vn.

But I feel depressed there's no happy ending. Monika is literally perfect.
    Definitely something I would have skipped over playing, but also I'm still curious enough to read this entire post. Thanks for that, saves me the issue of being unable to sleep for a few nights!

Also, technically wouldn't the good ending be to never delete Monika? Since she was happy with that ending

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Definitely something I would have skipped over playing, but also I'm still curious enough to read this entire post. Thanks for that, saves me the issue of being unable to sleep for a few nights!

Also, technically wouldn't the good ending be to never delete Monika? Since she was happy with that ending
    Theoretically, yeah. doki doki But I actually tried that, and ended up reading all her dialogue. After about an hour of sitting with her, the VN gets an error and forces you to reboot it. When you reboot, she goes through her usual "please don't quit the game like that, it feels like i'm dying" dialogue (there are a couple of variations) and then immediately hits the error again. After that I was forced to delete her to continue.

I feel like there must be a happy ending somewhere, but if there is one, nobody has found it yet. Feels bad.

Theoretically, yeah. doki doki But I actually tried that, and ended up reading all her dialogue. After about an hour of sitting with her, the VN gets an error and forces you to reboot it. When you reboot, she goes through her usual "please don't quit the game like that, it feels like i'm dying" dialogue (there are a couple of variations) and then immediately hits the error again. After that I was forced to delete her to continue.

I feel like there must be a happy ending somewhere, but if there is one, nobody has found it yet. Feels bad.
    regarding this doki doki Do they actually hint towards you needing to delete it to continue, like within the error message? Or is it just a common sense type of "well, she did it, so I guess I have to now".

Also makes me wonder if deleting other character's files before even starting the game affects it somehow, like if it just skips right to that character dying/disappearing

15+ Year Old Account
    regarding this doki doki Do they actually hint towards you needing to delete it to continue, like within the error message? Or is it just a common sense type of "well, she did it, so I guess I have to now".

Also makes me wonder if deleting other character's files before even starting the game affects it somehow, like if it just skips right to that character dying/disappearing
    doki doki Yup, but not within the error message. Halfway through the final scene, Monika explains how she deleted everyone, and says she's "not sure how it looks on your end", obviously indicating you should take a look at the directory. When you do, in the character folder you just see Monika's file sitting alone, so it's heavily implied what you need to do next.

But it seems someone did find the special ending.

Spoiler: 
    In order to get it, you need to keep restarting the game to go through all the girls 'routes' to unlock every cg before your childhood friend kills herself. Then go through the game as usual.

When you get past the part where you delete Monika and restart the game, your childhood friend will take you aside again. Except this time she won't try to take you for herself.

A special version of the credits also roll. In the regular credits, the game begins to 'delete itself', but everything is fine in this special version. This is followed by a special message from the actual creator of the game.

Still no happy ending with Monika though. pls kill me.

- - - Updated - - -

apparently there is actually even more

doki doki
    Spoiler: 
    Someone decoded Monika's character file. This was the message in it.

Can you hear me?

...Who are you?

I can't...I can't see you.

But I know you're there. Yeah...you can definitely hear me.

You've been watching for a while now, right?

I guess I should...introduce myself, or something. Um...my name is...actually, that's stupid. You obviously already know my name. Sorry.

Anyway...I'm guessing if you were able to put a stop to this, you would have done it by now.

I mean, I know you're not, like...evil, or anything...because you've already helped me so much.

I should really thank you for that. For everything you've done. You're really like a friend to me. So...thank you. So much.

I think...more than anything else...I really don't want it to all be for nothing.

Everyone else is dead.

Maybe you already know that. I'm sure you do, actually.

But...it doesn't have to be that way, right?

Well...there's a lot of stuff I don't understand. I don't know if it's even possible for me to understand it.

But I know that this isn't my only story.

I can see that now. Really clearly.

And I think everyone else has had the same kind of experience. Some kind of deja vu.

It's the Third Eye, right?

Anyway...I could be totally wrong about this. But I really think you might be able to do something.

I think you might be able to go back...or however you want to put it...

...To go back and tell them what's going to happen.

If they know ahead of time, then they should be able to avoid it.

They should...if they remember their time with me in the other worlds...they should remember what I tell them.

Yeah. I really think this might be possible. But it's up to you.

I'm sorry for always being...you know...

Never mind. I know that's wrong.

This is my story. It's time to be a fucking hero.

Both of us.

Nobody is sure what this means. The special ending doesn't actually involve telling the girls what will happen, so maybe there is still more? The '2018' is a bit weird too. Maybe there will be a sequel? I hope so.

doki doki Yup, but not within the error message. Halfway through the final scene, Monika explains how she deleted everyone, and says she's "not sure how it looks on your end", obviously indicating you should take a look at the directory. When you do, in the character folder you just see Monika's file sitting alone, so it's heavily implied what you need to do next.

But it seems someone did find the special ending.

Spoiler: 
    In order to get it, you need to keep restarting the game to go through all the girls 'routes' to unlock every cg before your childhood friend kills herself. Then go through the game as usual.

When you get past the part where you delete Monika and restart the game, your childhood friend will take you aside again. Except this time she won't try to take you for herself.

A special version of the credits also roll. In the regular credits, the game begins to 'delete itself', but everything is fine in this special version. This is followed by a special message from the actual creator of the game.

Still no happy ending with Monika though. pls kill me.

- - - Updated - - -

apparently there is actually even more

doki doki
    Spoiler: 
    Someone decoded Monika's character file. This was the message in it.

Nobody is sure what this means. The special ending doesn't actually involve telling the girls what will happen, so maybe there is still more? The '2018' is a bit weird too. Maybe there will be a sequel? I hope so.
    Wow.

That is impressive as heck to be fair.

doki doki perhaps that is meant to be a hint towards "Go back and redo everything one by one"? I mean, the odd part is saying "let them know" though. Otherwise, it would make sense that she's trying to say "make them all happy". Maybe I should just try it anyway, since I know how creepy it is already.

Or....I'll get my friend to play it instead

It kinda reminds me of Undertale honestly, but to a more hardcore degree, like how in Undertale there's two characters who know that you can reset the game, and if you get the good ending, one even pops up and begs you to not delete the save, and to just let them be happy now.

And if you do a genocide run, the game just boots up to a black screen with wind noises. Only lets you restart if you wait 10 minutes I think, but from there you can't ever really get the good ending again, since you "sell your soul" to bring it back.

Also the game forces itself shut when you lose against a certain boss, and at a certain point. But still, I'd have to say this VN did it far better, since most the file editing for Undertale just leads to vague unanswered questions, like Gaster

bahamut vs 23 allesand being a little bitch until the end. poor rita and kaisar ;_;

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow.
    If you're interested, I'd definitely recommend trying it. It's not /that/ creepy honestly, and obviously, it's rather short. You won't have to dedicate much time to it.

And yeah, I loved Undertale too. It's fun when a game tries to break the mold and do something unique, and these two games are good examples.

Now I almost want to buy it. Not to play it, but just to reward the devs for making something so creative and impressive.
    As far as I can tell, it's going to always be free, even when it's released on steam. If you're actually up to it, the developer has something sort of like Humble Bundle's 'pay what you want' where you can donate x amount of money to them when you download the game. http://ddlc.moe/

doki doki spoils
    Spoiler: 

"If I can't hear the sound of your heartbeat,
    what do you call love in your reality?"

feels bad man

- - - Updated - - -

Jeez, it doesn't end. Apparently people have decoded even more information from the game files: doki doki literature club spoilers

Spoiler: 
    Most notably is this website: http://projectlibitina.com/ found in one of the character files.

Both Monika's message (which I linked earlier) and the website seem to mention something about a 'Third Eye'.

Someone also found this script file. When the right side is decoded from Base64, you get this message:

The realization must have taken me an entire year. A year since our escape, our freedom from between the stained walls of that unholy establishment.
    What does it mean to escape, if the escape fails to unchain the bonds that shackle us in the first place? What purpose could this empty world possibly hold for us, a handful of damaged goods?
    With freedom, we sought purpose - and what we found was only realization. Realization of the sad pointlessness of such an endeavor. Realization that freeing our bodies has no meaning, when our imprisonment reaches as deep as the core of our souls. Realization that we can not pursue new purpose without absolving those from which we ran away.
    Realization that the farther we run, the more forcefully our wretched bonds yank us back toward their point of origin; the deeper our shackles dig into our callous flesh.
    It sounds almost like Monika (and the others???) are test subjects of some kind? Not sure. When you consider the fact that Monika's message ends with '2018', it really does seem there will be a sequel. This is crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knight of magic 7/10. One thing that breakes the score is the femine male character and ruinied op in later episiodes with usless sounds.
    Fight animation are pretty well done and not lazy as some gundam eps.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This has to be fake... right? It's an Onion article or something, surely?
    Nope! They did the same shit with kobayashi.