Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Majority of americans live in major cities. People refusing to leave their concrete jungle to the greener pasture of affordable housing is the chief cause of this problem. Solution is to move out of the city.
    And the solution to that would be to make it affordable to move in the first place. But more than likely is that they're stuck in place because they've a hard time finding work elsewhere, and that they can't finance the move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by namecraft View Post
    more like the american nightmare, right right. lololooo
    it's a play on word LOL I'm so funny
    The usual joke is that it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Never liked the idea of 'The american dream' mostly due to it being flawed by the people of the country and its system.
    It's used as a carrot constantly dangled out of your reach, to say that if people really just want to, they can. The reality however is quite different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It's used as a carrot constantly dangled out of your reach, to say that if people really just want to, they can. The reality however is quite different.
    Oh, I know. Sadly my view of the carrot relies on others understanding of it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    There are no better jobs out of the city for the most part (esp. ones that pay better).
    Wrong. Maybe you wont get cushy office jobs in rural areas but just within 15 minutes from my home in a rural area we have a large company that makes wood stoves and other heating equipment and pay well but its not easy work. We have a Company that makes doors and windows, and a company that makes all kinds of screens. All of them pay above $15 an hour and you can rent a 3 bedroom home for $600 a month

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You really need to learn the state of the economy and how things actually work. Then maybe you could stop being so wrong on the topics at hand.
    haha ha so youre the expert then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Facts are apparently a big aside to whatever you are on about anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

It's never the point with alt-righters as long as said points aren't about maximizing the suffering to the biggest number of people, anyway.

Or just any developed nation that isn't the US. There's a reason why a lot of scholars and experts now consider the US developing nation status on quite a few fronts like human rights, healthcare, education and distribution of wealth.
    so because i dont agree that makes me a nazi racist fascist alt-righter? man people are right
    someone doesnt drink your bullshit kool-aid, and out comes the assumptions without proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Almost 40 percent of Americans do not own homes, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Ghosn says nearly 50 percent of millennials rent.

60% of Americans own their own home? That's pretty amazing.

The best choice for most people is renting, buying a home is great but only if you are paying a ton in taxes because home ownership is a great tax write off.
    Its not that great of a tax writeoff. You can only write off property taxes and mortgage interest and thats if youre paying a mortgage.

Majority of americans live in major cities. People refusing to leave their concrete jungle to the greener pasture of affordable housing is the chief cause of this problem. Solution is to move out of the city.
    And I suppose their workplace will just move with them? Or are they supposed to have fun taking hours every morning and evening to go from home to work and work to home cuz they're so far from the workplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    you said they didn't exist... you were proven wrong... play time is over... you want to do further research go right ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Oh so, first its you dont know how to google, then when the work is done for you its "blah blah blah that's not real". I dont know what to tell you sport, I and @Seranthor both provided sources. Sorry your argument blew up.

I know for a fact a person could move here with 1k find a job and a place within a week assuming they were willing and able to work 8-10 hour days 5-6 days a week and can pass a piss test(or fake pass). I could post job openings in the area as well but apparently those are fake, or something.
    So you're just going to ignore everything I've said because you found an apartment going for $500? Do you actually think that means everyone has access to them? Please feel free to actually go back and reread my posts and answer my followup questions, specifically about how many people have access to these apartments considering their proportion available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    So you're just going to ignore everything I've said because you found an apartment going for $500? Do you actually think that means everyone has access to them? Please feel free to actually go back and reread my posts and answer my followup questions, specifically about how many people have access to these apartments considering their proportion available.
    Everyone has access to them as we are a mobile country. If you are bitching about your area, there are greener pastures. Of course if EVERYBODY did it there wouldnt be as much, but everybody isnt doing it.

You are flat out wrong, tiger.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Got married and bought our first home($250k+) a few years ago. We both work middle income jobs and it was easy as shit to do. I'm talking brainlessly easy to do, just took showing up for work everyday and not wasting money. I don't live in a huge city, but the surburbia around a large city can be pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Everyone has access to them as we are a mobile country. If you are bitching about your area, there are greener pastures. Of course if EVERYBODY did it there wouldnt be as much, but everybody isnt doing it.

You are flat out wrong, tiger.
    Everyone has access to them? Then how come all rent payers aren't paying $500? Again feel free to actually address my past posts, otherwise keep your anecdotes to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    Everyone has access to them? Then how come all rent payers aren't paying $500? Again feel free to actually address my past posts, otherwise keep your anecdotes to yourself.
    Yes, everyone has access to them, You live in America and you are free to move to a new place with lower rent. Im sorry you dont know what words mean.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    the Dems were NEVER going to let anyone that wasn't really a democrat (remember Sanders only joined the Dem party to make a run at the nomination) anywhere near that nomination. Sad, but its true.
    Then they are going to have a hard time when the independent candidates have more in common with their base than they do. Independents voters already make up the biggest voting block and likely to continue to grow.

And if they (Republicans included) don't start setting up a system where 3rd parties become more viable, then things will continue to get more rocky for them so long as they keep chasing donors rather than voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    haha ha so youre the expert then?
    Expert, hardly. Educated on the subject matter enough to know better than what you are saying, definitely.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in the suburbs, and housing is still not affordable. But that is just NJ for you. When property taxes on a 2 bedroom house is upwards of $10,000 a year, it's hard to buy a house. In NJ a normal 2 bedroom house in the suburbs will run you upwards of $300,000. Where in those greener pastures it would likely cost 1/2 that. Unfortunately, I can't easily carry my job with me, and i'd have to start over from scratch. Can't say i'm real interested in doing that.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I live in the suburbs, and housing is still not affordable. But that is just NJ for you. When property taxes on a 2 bedroom house is upwards of $10,000 a year, it's hard to buy a house. In NJ a normal 2 bedroom house in the suburbs will run you upwards of $300,000. Where in those greener pastures it would likely cost 1/2 that. Unfortunately, I can't easily carry my job with me, and i'd have to start over from scratch. Can't say i'm real interested in doing that.
    Yea, not all cities are created equal. I am about 35-40 minutes out of Minneapolis. I have a 4br, 2bath 2500 sq foot house that would cost me a bit over $200k to buy right now. I paid $2200 in taxes last year.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather rent and go enjoy life than buy and be house poor like so many people I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Yea, not all cities are created equal. I am about 35-40 minutes out of Minneapolis. I have a 4br, 2bath 2500 sq foot house that would cost me a bit over $200k to buy right now. I paid $2200 in taxes last year.
    Unnnfff, I wish I could get a deal like that in NJ. I just have to bank on my g/f becoming a world famous ceramic artist so I can live off her income and move to a more affordable state.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Unnnfff, I wish I could get a deal like that in NJ. I just have to bank on my g/f becoming a world famous ceramic artist so I can live off her income and move to a more affordable state.
    You should try Hope Mills, North Carolina and the neighboring spots.

I live about 5 miles or so outside of Hope Mills, the average place out here runs between $500 to $1300 per month with the $500 to $700 places you better keep a gun nearby for your own safety.

Down the road from me is a neighborhood where the houses look decent, not huge, but decent and the yards are virtually non-existent, the distance between the homes are close enough that you might have issues pulling a car through them for many of the places. The starting price for these homes are $185,000.

Right next to that, they have better homes, 2 story with a little bit bigger yards. Starting price about $250,000.

Now, the area. If you aren't in the military, the average person will bring in about $280 per week after taxes. You have welders and other skilled tradesman can bring in about $600 to $1000 or so though or managers making about the same. Now if you get lucky and get a job at the local good year plant about a 30-40 minute drive away, you will be working six 8 hour days and after 2 years you get to top pay where you can bring in about $1,000 per week (Hope you enjoy mandatory 8 hours overtime every week).

To get a manager job at that pay you typically will have to be an upper manager at a major store and will take upwards of a decade to reach it.

The houses are based around military pay with BAH, the wages are not.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

What is the American Dream? The American Dream means different things to different people.

Some think of it as it's making over a million dollars but most say it's home ownership, a car and enough left over to pay the bills, your job will cover your health care.

So if you're in West Virginia you can achieve the American Dream for under $30K a year. If you're living in San Francisco you'll need about $100K a year.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

What exactly is the American dream? I'm sure Tennisace knows, because he bought something online from America once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

People consider 300k for a house not affordable? I live on the westcoast of Canada and my 2bdrm condo cost close to double what your house cost lol. Try living on the westcoast when houses cost no less than 900k in town; most are over a million. Suburbs (30-60 min outside of town) houses range from 650-900k.

If I could get a house for 300k I'd be a 6 hour drive away from my office