Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    professional film critics are severely out of touch, no one cares what they say anymore, how often to official reviews align with audience reviews? almost never BvS for example has 27% score for actual critics and 63% from audience reviews. Professional film critics just don't know how to sit back and just watch something without nitpicking every minor detail, which your average viewer won't do
    or maybe, they've seen enough shit to know when it's on the screen.
    audience ratings have no accountability, they just go "hell yeah batman beat superman with a kitchen sink bro 10/10" or rather "hell yeah it had batman and superman in it and i seen them before 10/10"

a professional critic, has to actually review the movie you know and give constructive criticism

the general audience sees 3-4 movies a year, a critic sees 50, of course their opinion matters more, obviously you can disagree with them , hell you SHOULD at least occasionally disagree with them otherwise films would be really boring, but that doesnt mean their arguments arent well thought out and logical.

the "you just have to turn off your brain bro" is a horrible argument, that's like saying "dude, this movie is great you just have to ignore all the flaws"

plenty of good movies flop, and plenty of terrible movies make profit (even if we just go by audience scores)
    the shawshank redemption is the highest rated movie on IMDB, which is a website based on nothing but audience scores, and it flopped.

Kubo and the two strings, is an oscar nominated animated feature, with a 86% audience score on rotten tomatoes, and it flopped.

critical and audience reception barely matter nowadays, all that matters is making a good trailer and selling it on a name.

hell even your precious batman v superman was considered a financial failure

Not really relevant, that was considered good fun then, completely natural - forcing criminals to fight for sport. You can't be stupid for enjoying something that's part of the status quo, nor can you judge ancient rome by today's standards lol
    a: most of them werent criminals but defeated soldiers from enemy countries turned slaves, but let's not go into that
    b: gladiator fights were literally invented to distract people from the misery from the day to day life, it was literally a ploy to blind the masses. I'm not judging them by today's standards, even by their own standards it was there to keep the idiotic masses in check1
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-09-21 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If it's true then why are other movies higher rated than the highest grossing films? You don't even seem to understand how the film industry itself works if you think sales are mainly based off initial word-of-mouth family discussions.
    you dont understand how the film industry works if you think anyone cares more about reviews vs sales. we get it, you live and die by critics. But your bad taste does not apply to the majority.

professional film critics are severely out of touch, no one cares what they say anymore, how often to official reviews align with audience reviews? almost never BvS for example has 27% score for actual critics and 63% from audience reviews. Professional film critics just don't know how to sit back and just watch something without nitpicking every minor detail, which your average viewer won't do
    Agree to disagree then. It's not hard to make a baby laugh. If you make a movie directed at them and their parents take them to see it, I don't see it as an automatically "good" movie just because it made more money than something a person with a fully functioning brain would enjoy
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Agree to disagree then. It's not hard to make a baby laugh. If you make a movie directed at them and their parents take them to see it, I don't see it as an automatically "good" movie just because it made more money than something a person with a fully functioning brain would enjoy
    because parents are more likely to take their kid to a bad film right

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    relatives of the t-rex have been found to have proto feathers so evidence points to the t-rex also likely having proto feathers its just a matter of finding an impression in good enough condition before we know for sure, regardless, we know most dinosaurs had proto feathers
    [/IMG]
    https://phys.org/news/2017-06-rex-feathery.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...ays-180963603/

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you dont understand how the film industry works if you think anyone cares more about reviews vs sales. we get it, you live and die by critics. But your bad taste does not apply to the majority.
    I've said multiple times that they will mass produce and ship out pure crap as long as it generates the most money. I understand very clearly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    because parents are more likely to take their kid to a bad film right
    They'll buy them a little rubber mouth ring to chew on too. Must be the best toy so everyone should stop playing video games and just buy the mouth ring because people with low brain function enjoy it.

Weren't you the little kid who was ignoring me earlier? Go back to doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Goddamn, such venom - here's a tip, stop assuming your opinion and tastes are so much more refined and worth than the average viewer of films, we get it, you hate Jurassic World, guess what - most people loved it, I loved it, it was a fun film. Honestly it's entertainment, judging people for being entertained for what you deem as "lesser" is really dumb.
    Here's a tip: I wasn't calling you a baby so don't get offended. My point is that movies like Fight Club have flopped and movies like the Emoji movie have made money. In your eyes, that means one is trash and the other isn't. You are open to this opinion and I think that's really sad. Judging things as "greater" because they made more money is even dumber.

Not really, because your average audience member makes up 99.9% of the viewership, their opinion matters far more. Countless films that professional critics love flop and films they hate (BvS for example) do very well
    but BVS didnt do well, like at all
    ask anyone at warner brothers if they're happy with how BvS did, all of them will say no
    so yeah. it's actually a fine example of word of mouth affecting a movie that was a surefire hit if they did at least some of it right

as i said, plenty of movies with high audience scores flop, and plenty with low ones make profit, it doesnt matter

i could literally name dozens from both ends right of the top of my head

here's the thing, there are basically 4 types of movies
    Good movies with mass appeal (IE star wars, jaws, jurrasic park, raiders of the lost ark, titanic, some of the marvel stuff)
    Bad movies with mass appeal (transformers, emoji movie, pets, anything adam sandler shits out, most of the DC movies)
    good movies with niche appeal (drive, her, under the skin, silence, nocturnal animals, sing street)
    bad movies with niche appeal (this is a hard one, only the neon demon comes to mind from recent years, but that was entertainingly bad so dont know if it counts)

so even if a movie is bad, the fact that it checks all the demographic boxes for it's marketing means it'll probably make money, all you have to do is make it appeal to the lowest common denominator

just because something has got all the art and creativity sucked out of it, and was manufactured in a board room to appeal to the most possible people at the same time, doesnt mean it's automatically something good.

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time (as far as im aware)
    if i asked a 100 random people, i dont think more than 5 of them will call it their favourite movie, probably wouldnt even occur to them.
    and yet, it made the most money ever.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-09-21 at 11:06 PM.

They'll buy them a little rubber mouth ring to chew on too. Must be the best toy so everyone should stop playing video games and just buy the mouth ring because people with low brain function enjoy it.
    Because parents have to sit with them and use the chew toy too? ok. Good point genius.

Because parents have to sit with them and use the chew toy too? ok. Good point genius.
    It doesn't matter. It sold well, therefore it is automatically good and enjoyed by all. That's what's being argued here. You're just too smart to understand simple conversation.

Yep that's it. If it sells well then that means the movie is good, especially if the ticket sales are boosted by nostalgia from movies that were actually good.

Transformers, Minions, most of the Pirates of the Caribbeans. All cinematic genius. You're really, really, really smart.

They aim the movies at geniuses like you who will buy a ticket no matter what as long as the movie is named after something you remember. The genius crowd.
    In this particular case, the movie was adequate... it hardly measures up to the original, but we arent talking Megan Foxes tits and ass with some giant robots...I mean, Transformers bad...

It doesn't matter. It sold well, therefore it is automatically good and enjoyed by all. That's what's being argued here. You're just too smart to understand simple conversation.
    Is your default response to resort to silly hyperbole and insult people? Must not be a very good debater.

Is your default response to resort to silly hyperbole and insult people? Must not be a very good debater.
    You implied only an "edgy person" can call a blockbuster bad.
    Meaning that, if it sells well, everyone should like it.
    Meaning if the mouth ring sells well, adults should like it to because it's automatically good.
    And that's stupid.

I'm using your exact logic and you're pretty much calling it stupid, as you should, because it is extremely stupid. You claimed to ignore me, then started up again to make yourself look even "smarter".

You are clearly just still mad because used a term you don't understand and got called out. You lose. Get over it.

Goddamn, such venom - here's a tip, stop assuming your opinion and tastes are so much more refined and worth than the average viewer of films, we get it, you hate Jurassic World, guess what - most people loved it, I loved it, it was a fun film. Honestly it's entertainment, judging people for being entertained for what you deem as "lesser" is really dumb.
    I like stupid movies. A lot. Bill and Ted's excellent adventure, for example. What I don't like are dumb movies that pretend to be smart. A movie doesn't have to follow physics to narrowly, it is supposed to entertain. It doesn't have to get all details about biology, politics, theology etc right. I am totally fine with 'creative freedom'. Star Wars is full of flawed physics, and still I can enjoy it. Another good example for this is Jurassic Park. Because anybody who knows anything about Biology and DNA knows that you cannot simply mesh together Dinosaur and Frog DNA to create an actual Dinosaur. You'd create an abomination. You'd also know that no whateversaurus would ever stand up to modern military technology. But in terms of a movie? Sure, why the heck not. Go ahead! If I get some gore and Dinosaurs on the big screen, I'm fine with it.

But when the movie in itself makes no sense, it starts to be effing stupid. When you constantly frown because of the stupid people in the park and the stupid decisions they make, it's flawed. And that's why I find Jurassic World to be an utter failure. It makes not sense in itself. It jumped the Megalodon. The Fuckoffasaurus was stupid. The woman constantly running through the jungle in high heels was stupid. The guy biking with Raptors was stupid. Not 'we 3d-printed a Raptors Nose and now I can talk to them' stupid, but still pretty stupid. The whole basic idea for the movie was stupid. People got bored from Dinosaurs? What? In what universe? What Kid doesn't want to see Dinosaurs at least once? With a steadily incrasing population, there are hundreds of potential visitors born each day. The movie has some cool shots, and somewhat state of the art CGI, and Chriss P is a delight. But the rest of the movie was just... dumb.

The sad thing these days is that more and more movies are, in lack of a better word, easy. They impress with big names and pictures instead of good storytelling, writing, directing and acting, and sucess is only measured by the movie making big money.

If the movie's goal is to entertain, sure. Jurassic World and Transformers and the likes, they can entertain. But they are like fast food. A quick high, with nothing substential remaining. Jurassic World rides on the nostalgia of the original movie, and fails to create a single moment that actually stays with the audience. I cannot remember one funny line from Chriss Pratt, one awesome CGI Dinosaur moment. All I remember about it were thwo whiney pointless kids, a dumb chick with high heels in a white dress in the forest, and an utter 'meh' experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I like stupid movies. A lot. Bill and Ted's excellent adventure, for example. What I don't like are dumb movies that pretend to be smart. A movie doesn't have to follow physics to narrowly, it is supposed to entertain. It doesn't have to get all details about biology, politics, theology etc right. I am totally fine with 'creative freedom'. Star Wars is full of flawed physics, and still I can enjoy it. Another good example for this is Jurassic Park. Because anybody who knows anything about Biology and DNA knows that you cannot simply mesh together Dinosaur and Frog DNA to create an actual Dinosaur. You'd create an abomination. You'd also know that no whateversaurus would ever stand up to modern military technology. But in terms of a movie? Sure, why the heck not. Go ahead! If I get some gore and Dinosaurs on the big screen, I'm fine with it.

But when the movie in itself makes no sense, it starts to be effing stupid. When you constantly frown because of the stupid people in the park and the stupid decisions they make, it's flawed. And that's why I find Jurassic World to be an utter failure. It makes not sense in itself. It jumped the Megalodon. The Fuckoffasaurus was stupid. The woman constantly running through the jungle in high heels was stupid. The guy biking with Raptors was stupid. Not 'we 3d-printed a Raptors Nose and now I can talk to them' stupid, but still pretty stupid. The whole basic idea for the movie was stupid. People got bored from Dinosaurs? What? In what universe? What Kid doesn't want to see Dinosaurs at least once? With a steadily incrasing population, there are hundreds of potential visitors born each day. The movie has some cool shots, and somewhat state of the art CGI, and Chriss P is a delight. But the rest of the movie was just... dumb.

The sad thing these days is that more and more movies are, in lack of a better word, easy. They impress with big names and pictures instead of good storytelling, writing, directing and acting, and sucess is only measured by the movie making big money.

If the movie's goal is to entertain, sure. Jurassic World and Transformers and the likes, they can entertain. But they are like fast food. A quick high, with nothing substential remaining. Jurassic World rides on the nostalgia of the original movie, and fails to create a single moment that actually stays with the audience. I cannot remember one funny line from Chriss Pratt, one awesome CGI Dinosaur moment. All I remember about it were thwo whiney pointless kids, a dumb chick with high heels in a white dress in the forest, and an utter 'meh' experience.
    This made me flash back to the countless examples of just the security in general making me constantly facepalm.

"Time to off-road my little hamster ball because 1 small gate was left open."

It's a movie that punishes you for asking questions about why everyone is doing such stupid things, because you just end up hating it more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post

you forgot the best part

when the trex and the raptors combine forced to defeat the whatshamacallitosaurus and then literally wink at each other

the only good part is basically when the trex is fighting the whositsosaurus at the end, and even that's only because it's such ridiculous schlock that you cant believe they put that in a 200 million dollar movie

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    In this particular case, the movie was adequate... it hardly measures up to the original, but we arent talking Megan Foxes tits and ass with some giant robots...I mean, Transformers bad...
    I'll give you that it's better than transformers, mainly because at least it's somewhat self aware, hell it's probably the best jurrasic park sequel, but that's basically by default
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-09-21 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    you forgot the best part

when the trex and the raptors combine forced to defeat the whatshamacallitosaurus and then literally wink at each other

the only good part is basically when the trex is fighting the whositsosaurus at the end, and even that's only because it's such ridiculous schlock that you cant believe they put that in a 200 million dollar movie
    I liked when the pterodactyls get loose and start tearing up the streets of the park while, not only snatching up humans, but also fucking up other dinosaurs, and right as this mayhem is happening, you see some guy grab 2 full margaritas and run off without spilling them because he knows what's important. It was so perfectly stupid.

I doubt we will see much in the way of plot outside of simple devices that put heroes in the path of dinos. The first movie had real character and storylines, it slowly built up suspense and you didn't actually see much of the dinos till the last 1/3 of the film. The last 2 movies are basically just a nonstop chase sequence from about 1/3 of the way in till the end.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

I liked when the pterodactyls get loose and start tearing up the streets of the park while, not only snatching up humans, but also fucking up other dinosaurs, and right as this mayhem is happening, you see some guy grab 2 full margaritas and run off without spilling them because he knows what's important. It was so perfectly stupid.
    Imagine complaining about something lame like an attempt from the director trying to make a joke instead of a plot hole like giving a show dinosaur camouflage
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-09-21 at 11:21 PM.

Imagine complaining about an attempt from the director trying to make a joke instead of a plot hole like giving a show dinosaur camouflage
    How was I complaining? I literally just told you that it was the only 2 minutes that brought me joy in the entire 2 hour feature?