Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    The kids dad should talk to his son and teach him or maybe he did and this is the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    My entire argument is that you shouldn't jump on people with the "oh look some unqualified rando!" argument because it's worthless and works against you in this case...
    So you agree thta you have no point and are just posting here because of boredom?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Detention's increasingly not a "thing", because parents have such tightly scheduled plans for their kids that you CAN'T keep them past school hours as punishment.
    We do recess and lunch detentions. You want to screw around in class? That's fine, you don't get to have fun on break times and have to sit in the detention room and just eat your lunch silently.

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Most teachers have little to no training in child development or child psychology.
    Got a source for this, or is this you spouting nonsense? Of my 4 year degree about a year and a half of it was spent on theories of child development and learning.

A one day suspension sounds pretty modesto to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    We do recess and lunch detentions. You want to screw around in class? That's fine, you don't get to have fun on break times and have to sit in the detention room and just eat your lunch silently.
    That actually doesnt sound bad.

I agree with Endus, the punishment doesnt seem harsh. If however the Record states anything with Terrorism its bullshit and way overboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, not really something to make fun of. As well, your title is a slight under informing. The kid was only suspended for a day, that is nothing. We could have the discussion when it is a month+. In the end, in this day and age, we have to watch out with what is said as fear is a dominating language.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The thing that most people seem to be overlooking is the fact that he is five years old! Kids that age are still struggling with shoe laces. You expect they'll have an understanding of the current social concerns with terrorism at that age? H probably thinks a bomb just makes a person's face dirty and cough out a black cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Sad to say this happened just 2 hours north of where I live. I am ashamed of them for doing this. The kid was freakin 5 years old. He was no terrorist and it wasn't a damn terrorist threat. I'm sure he doesn't even understand what it is to be a terrorist. He was just playing around that there was a damn bomb in his backpack and it would go off if he took off his backpack.
    Oh no a whole day! Hopefully the kid will learn a lesson and not say dumb shit. As for the "removing it from his record" permanent records aren't a thing this will have zero bearing in the future. Parents should just sit the kid down and explain what happened and move on instead if playing victim.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the schools website, they have at least kindergarten through 6th grade. That means the rules for the school most likely have to be written up with the entire age range in mind. They can't say "Bombs threats will be treated as a joke for children 8 and under, but met with suspensions for children 9 years and older." They have to have a rule that would apply to all ages that attend their school. I agree that its a bit much to have that on a kids record at age 5, but if they are going to have all those ages in the same school, then it makes sense. Given the media attention this is getting, it will likely be removed from his record anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I agree the school overreacted, but at the same time it wasn't an end of the world punishment and the kid may learn a valuable lesson for the future.
    I will never understand where the "suspended from school = punishment that will teach him a lesson" reasoning came from. It 100% doesn't work like that.

>Be little kid
    >Fuck around at school because it sucks and i'm bored, just having fun
    >Adults think my fun is bad
    >Allowed to fuck around at home and have fun instead of getting my ass bored off at school
    >Conclusion: If i do what adults think is bad i don't have to go to school
    >I win

10+ Year Old Account
    Modesto is so boring, they should just be glad they had something to do.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I will never understand where the "suspended from school = punishment that will teach him a lesson" reasoning came from. It 100% doesn't work like that.

>Be little kid
    >Get screamed at for about an hour about how parental unit now cannot go to work, potentially smacked
    >Suffer tedious, boring day on probation from anything remotely fun because parent is pissed off at you

FTFY

"I can't take my backpack off because if I do the bomb will go off" sounds more like something out of a movie. That doesn't sound like a plot of a 5 yr old terrorist, but the plot of something the bad guy does to someone and the good guy has to save them.

From a 5 year old, it sounds like something they saw on TV and were playing pretend with themselves. Sorta like "floor is lava" or "don't step on a crack" scenarios that have huge dire ramifications so you REALLY gotta stick with the requirements of avoiding the floor, not stepping on cracks, or, yep, not taking off the backpack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    You expect they'll have an understanding of the current social concerns with terrorism at that age?
    Well, we live in the age of "my woke 4 year old" stories on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Kids aren't morons. They're assholes.

I'm sure this kid 100% knew what he was saying.

And the school did the right thing in response.
    Not at 5 he doesn't. He will have overheard parents talking or seen a news report, picked up the gist of it and just said it. I've got cousins around that age and they are like a sponge. They hear you talking anything and they start talking about it.

I know dam well if I said to someone oh that kid on the train hid the bomb inside a bag; my cousin would immediately join in and I wouldn't put it past him to repeat it.

They don't understand any of it, from making a threat like that to the concept of death.

Now had it of been a 10 year old I'd completely agree.

Anyways, I still think the school acted in the right as a point to set an example, but they could of said on the side to the parents 'Look, we know hes a kid and doesn't know what he's saying, but we've got to do it' etc

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post

>Be little kid
    >Allowed to fuck around at home and have fun instead of getting my ass bored off at school
    >Conclusion: If i do what adults think is bad i don't have to go to school
    >I win
    Well, it depends fully on your parents' handling of the pubishment of course

when i was a kid in school i pretended that i had a flying warship with nuclear missiles
    i also ran around the playground jumping off the green machine and yelling wolverines as i shot my ak 47 at the fucking commies
    we also put down card board and would breakdance

i think there were also the kids who didnt participate in any of that...and they got older, and put themselves into positions of authority, and squashed any type of activity that they did not approve of when they were a kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the role, the job to educate and teach children and you cannot handle a child and go into such a panic response, you do not belong in a class room or part of the board that runs a school.

That's my opinion on it. If this is true this really lacks professionalism on several levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    One day suspension is fine. Let the parents take the day to teach him right from wrong.

Dont get your panties in a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    So you agree thta you have no point and are just posting here because of boredom?
    It's like you didn't read what I said and instead just decided you wanted to argue with someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    So should I trust you or the school of qualified people?
    I wouldn't trust the school or consider them qualified. They changed their reasoning a few times throughout this whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.