Commentocracy with Duke Amiel du H'ardcore

I got a kick out of this characterization and figured a lot of fellow gamers would as well. I apologize in advance if this is somehow against the rules but I couldn't find another thread based around it and the video/streaming thread appeared made for a very specific type of content.

He'll be doing these every Thursday and I'll happily link more here when they arise or others can freely do so if they beat me to the punch.

BIG BOYS ONLY
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hve seen this earlier and altougth it was really fun to whatch i think, to me at least, it will become boring if he make this a regular serie.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You know while the author of original comment is kinda elitist prick with superiority complex, he isn't that far from right. Its mostly that form is problem, not overall message.

Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    I hve seen this earlier and altougth it was really fun to whatch i think, to me at least, it will become boring if he make this a regular serie.
    He only does this on occasion when someone really deserves it. This entire video was his response to a singular Steam review. More often than not this character just kinda shows up in his main Jimquisitions as a come and go character.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I will never understand Jim "DmC is scientifically better than any other Devil May Cry you pissbabys" Sterling being used as any form of opinion to trust on videogames. Dude is massive pleb.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I will never understand Jim "DmC is scientifically better than any other Devil May Cry you pissbabys" Sterling being used as any form of opinion to trust on videogames. Dude is massive pleb.
    Mmm, I rather liked DmC compared to the other Devil May Cry games. Good stuff that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    He only does this on occasion when someone really deserves it. This entire video was his response to a singular Steam review. More often than not this character just kinda shows up in his main Jimquisitions as a come and go character.
    This is going to be done every Thursday now and based off similar material with a theme. Guess this Thursday was elitism and PC-based RPGs.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-09-21 at 04:32 PM.

Deleted
    Fun watch and very relevant on these forums in more then just the obvious way. People are generally very arrogant on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I'm not a fan of most of his content, however I do find myself agreeing with him on where the game industry is headed lately. The Jimquisitions that get linked here on occasion have a very "Preaching to the Choir" vibe to them most of the time.

Pretty sure this one was made purely for entertainment purposes, to that end it is somewhat entertaining. I'm not really sure why this video is deserving of discussion though, there's nothing of substance to really dig into.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    Mmm, I rather liked DmC compared to the other Devil May Cry games. Good stuff that.

- - - Updated - - -

This is going to be done every Thursday now and based off similar material with a theme. Guess this Thursday was elitism and PC-based RPGs.
    I'm down with that. I enjoy Jims content, even if I don't always agree with him.

For example: He hates Overwatch because it has lootboxes...I don't mind them, they aren't really intrusive and offer no benefit other than things like skins and cosmetics. But on the other hand games like Shadow of War offer actual boosts and paying to actually not have to play the game so I agree with him there (and also with NBA2k which is doing the same crap, it's horrible with it's microtransactions."
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I'm down with that. I enjoy Jims content, even if I don't always agree with him.

For example: He hates Overwatch because it has lootboxes...I don't mind them, they aren't really intrusive and offer no benefit other than things like skins and cosmetics. But on the other hand games like Shadow of War offer actual boosts and paying to actually not have to play the game so I agree with him there (and also with NBA2k which is doing the same crap, it's horrible with it's microtransactions."
    I don't hate Overwatch by any means. Over five-hundred hours of played time would attest to that. I still however loathe loot boxes in general and find them particularly insulting within premium-priced games. Which of course, has now opened the way for Shadow of War to chime in and attempt similarly. Hard to argue against the latter if you're for the former because ultimately, neither warranted such a scheme at the end of the day.

What I don't agree with Jim on, thus far, is Destiny 2. I think he was waaaaaay too easy on it and I'm not just referring to the micro-transactions necessarily but one's personal tastes do have to be taken into account.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I migth be mistaken, but dosent he said on the vídeo that he was thinking of making this a weeakly series?
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted
    Couldn't stand to watch more than 15 seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I'm with you there...they do have a good point, but my god, what a poor and sad way to express it.

It’s one of the thing that made Dragon Age go from one of my most adored franchises to just… meh, it felt like every tactical aspect of the game was completely dumbed down…
    I am not.
    I do absolute adore dark souls games and divine divinity original sin is the game i am playing now in tactician mode, enjoying the hell out of it.
    But the fact that i like to play these games, and in a high difficulty, only means that is the way I like to play RPGs.
    I do not see why the way i do enjoy to play RPGs, has to be the way others do enjoy and play RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    I am not.
    I do absolute adore dark souls games and divine divinity original sin is the game i am playing now in tactician mode, enjoying the hell out of it.
    But the fact that i like to play these games, and in a high difficulty, only means that is the way I like to play RPGs.
    I do not see why the way i do enjoy to play RPGs, has to be the way others do enjoy and play RPGs.
    The true purists are those of us who actually role-play. :P

As in create our own characters and worlds. I used to spend countless hours writing material for future sessions.

So I could still one-up these guys and be even a greater elitist puritan. "REEEEAAAAL RPGs don't have preset character designs or worlds!"

Deleted

he actually love the game for the gameplay, but he's against the free to play micro-transactions in a full paid game.
    I don't personally share that stance, but I see why it is a valid point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    he actually love the game for the gameplay, but he's against the free to play micro-transactions in a full paid game.
    I don't personally share that stance, but I see why it is a valid point of view.
    Yeah, I know he loves the game itself. But I separate micro transactions into two categories:
    -Effects Gameplay
    -Does Not Effect Gameplay

So long as it stays in the Does Not Effect Gameplay category, I'm fine with it. It's optional, it really shouldn't be there but it's not causing harm. I still think, though, that OW should just let you straight up buy the currency or the cosmetics you want rather than the boxes but after they updated the lootboxes you tend to get everything you want (if you buy during a holiday).

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Yeah, I know he loves the game itself. But I separate micro transactions into two categories:
    -Effects Gameplay
    -Does Not Effect Gameplay

So long as it stays in the Does Not Effect Gameplay category, I'm fine with it. It's optional, it really shouldn't be there but it's not causing harm. I still think, though, that OW should just let you straight up buy the currency or the cosmetics you want rather than the boxes but after they updated the lootboxes you tend to get everything you want (if you buy during a holiday).
    Affecting gameplay is one thing, affecting enjoyment you take from playing is another. And for many people even purely cosmetic microtransactions can heavily affect how much they enjoy the game. Especially if you go overwatch route of filling loot boxes with tons of worthless crap noone ever wanted just so chance of getting something you want is minimal....unless you buy few of them. Then at worst case you will have enough currency to craft it....and if not, hey, you can buy 10 more boxes right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Affecting gameplay is one thing, affecting enjoyment you take from playing is another. And for many people even purely cosmetic microtransactions can heavily affect how much they enjoy the game. Especially if you go overwatch route of filling loot boxes with tons of worthless crap noone ever wanted just so chance of getting something you want is minimal....unless you buy few of them. Then at worst case you will have enough currency to craft it....and if not, hey, you can buy 10 more boxes right ?
    I've gotten so much gold from just leveling and getting duplicates and gold drops that I can usually buy any item I want rather quickly. It's a lot less grindy than most games out there. OW throws a lot of gold at you, and with the lootbox update one could argue they made it so you have less incentive to just buy lootboxes since now you have a higher chance of getting things you don't have just by leveling.

But there is a HUGE difference between how OW handles it, and a game like, say NBA2k which also offers cosmetics for "VC" which you can purchase with real money. Only the grinding on that games takes forever. They clearly want you to buy the VC rather than play the game.

Then there is Shadow of War....they literally made an ingame Avatar of their own Greed. I'm still trying to figure out if the developers did this on purpose to mock the publisher (WB Games) since it is them forcing the game to have this DLC and not the developer.

I've gotten so much gold from just leveling and getting duplicates and gold drops that I can usually buy any item I want rather quickly. It's a lot less grindy than most games out there. OW throws a lot of gold at you, and with the lootbox update one could argue they made it so you have less incentive to just buy lootboxes since now you have a higher chance of getting things you don't have just by leveling.

But there is a HUGE difference between how OW handles it, and a game like, say NBA2k which also offers cosmetics for "VC" which you can purchase with real money. Only the grinding on that games takes forever. They clearly want you to buy the VC rather than play the game.

Then there is Shadow of War....they literally made an ingame Avatar of their own Greed. I'm still trying to figure out if the developers did this on purpose to mock the publisher (WB Games) since it is them forcing the game to have this DLC and not the developer.
    I think the moral of the story is; regardless of how pressuring or not such a system is, it's really not acceptable in a premium-priced game. It needs to be one of those, "No, fuck you, get it out of here," type of stances that doesn't shift just because they alleviate how bad it could be. Hell, there's some who feel even in F2P titles that randomized loot boxes are inherently immoral for their psychological effects.

For continued support of future content, purchasable skins could've been added after the fact so that maps/heroes could be free and I don't think many would complain too much about it as long as pricing is reasonable. Basically, Blizzard should've just released the game, as it was, skins and all with no loot box or monetary scheme in play except for the upfront cost. Boom. Done. Step away and let the community enjoy/bask in the finished product.

Come back later with new additional skins and cosmetic options for purchase much like the LoL's system only, heroes are free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I think the moral of the story is; regardless of how pressuring or not such a system is, it's really not acceptable in a premium-priced game. It needs to be one of those, "No, fuck you, get it out of here," type of stances that doesn't shift just because they alleviate how bad it could be. Hell, there's some who feel even in F2P titles that randomized loot boxes are inherently immoral for their psychological effects.

For continued support of future content, purchasable skins could've been added after the fact so that maps/heroes could be free and I don't think many would complain too much about it as long as pricing is reasonable. Basically, Blizzard should've just released the game, as it was, skins and all with no loot box or monetary scheme in play except for the upfront cost. Boom. Done. Step away and let the community enjoy/bask in the finished product.

Come back later with new additional skins and cosmetic options for purchase much like the LoL's system only, heroes are free.
    I don't honestly like black and white stances. However while i don't mind cosmetic micro transactions even on full priced games, i don't like lootboxes systems. I'd rather have to pay 5 euro for that skin and that's it than go through a random outcome.