Thread: Hollow Knight

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hollow Knight

I am surprised there is no topic about this amazing game!

Yes it is not as good as Ori and the Blind Forest but still a very good game and damn the sound tracks are just beyond epic I mean listen to this theme!

So yeah I always have a soft spot toward 2D metroidvania platformer games.

I didn't finish it yet still playing through and exploring specially after gaining the ability of Dash.

I really enjoyed playing this game. Better than Salt&Sanctuary imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna disagree with the OP. Hollow Knight is significantly better that Ori and the Blind Forest. Which is still a great game. Hollow Knight is probably my favorite new game this year. Everything hits a perfect note. The setting is unique. The art direction is perfect. The mechanics are simple, with a lot of nuance. There's a ton of exploration, and none of it's of the "push/hit random walls until you find the one that breaks" variety that a lot of Metroidvanias rely on. There's very little hand-holding, in the sense that the game expects you to figure out where to go next by actually remembering stuff you've seen and heard, rather than giving you a bright "go here" target to aim at. There's a ton of upgrades to find, and you can only equip so many, which makes for some pretty decent variety in how you build your character. The audio, as noted, particularly the music, is bang-on and amazing. The bosses are all unique. It's just a perfect little game for its genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm gonna disagree with the OP. Hollow Knight is significantly better that Ori and the Blind Forest. Which is still a great game. Hollow Knight is probably my favorite new game this year. Everything hits a perfect note. The setting is unique. The art direction is perfect. The mechanics are simple, with a lot of nuance. There's a ton of exploration, and none of it's of the "push/hit random walls until you find the one that breaks" variety that a lot of Metroidvanias rely on. There's very little hand-holding, in the sense that the game expects you to figure out where to go next by actually remembering stuff you've seen and heard, rather than giving you a bright "go here" target to aim at. There's a ton of upgrades to find, and you can only equip so many, which makes for some pretty decent variety in how you build your character. The audio, as noted, particularly the music, is bang-on and amazing. The bosses are all unique. It's just a perfect little game for its genre.

Yeah I just finished it few days ago. The game is amazing for sure and the way they deliver the storyline for you and the way they don't hold your hands in term of directions and where to go reminded me so much of Dark Souls 1 when I played it for the first time and Castlevania Symphony of the night. The only reason I think Ori is superior mainly because of the difficulty (I like hard games tbh just my taste because easy games make me yawn. I am not saying Hollow Knight is easy but yeah it is for sure easier than Ori and the Blind Forest ;p ) and the visuals but yeah Hollow knight is superior in term of longevity, variety and bosses encounters.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2017-09-22 at 08:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltherion View Post
    I really enjoyed playing this game. Better than Salt&Sanctuary imo.
    I don't think they're really comparable.

I prefer Salt & Sanctuary personally, but that's because it's inherently more souls like than HK. But HK has a terrific ambiance and gameplay, too.

As to whether it's better than Ori, I don't know. Ori has one hell of a storytelling, but I feel like HK is more challenging.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved this game and Ori both equally.

geez apparently this game got a surprise free update which is pretty cool. Not sure if I'll get to it before Gods & Glory though. But I fully support them adding things to areas that felt unfinished.

I am waiting for the switch version!

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    geez apparently this game got a surprise free update which is pretty cool. Not sure if I'll get to it before Gods & Glory though. But I fully support them adding things to areas that felt unfinished.
    I was looking into this but I don't see anything. Do you have a source? It'd seem like you're talking about Gods & Glory but I don't see anyone talking about it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I was looking into this but I don't see anything. Do you have a source? It'd seem like you're talking about Gods & Glory but I don't see anyone talking about it.
    Oh sorry should have been more clear, it's called Lifeblood and it's currently available for open beta so you have to opt into it on steam to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the game is one of the best if not the best 2D metroivania genre and to make things even better all of it's DLCs are free. So that is a lot of contents for free. I am thinking of doing the undying run

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am waiting for the switch version!
    Basically how I feel about it. I pirated it to try it out when it came out. I thought it was cool, but with my work schedule and other games, I couldn't find the time to play it. With it on the Switch I'll be able to get some game time in on it when I normally wouldn't be able to. I'm excited to really dive in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hollow Knight is the best game in the world.

Best game.

Best game in town.

Love the DLC model these guys have done with the free updates, though I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I haven't played it, but god damn does this game have some of the coolest designs I've ever seen. The setting is great, the creatures are cool, and the plot is both grand and eerie. I haven't liked the look of a game this much since Sunless Sea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I haven't played it, but god damn does this game have some of the coolest designs I've ever seen. The setting is great, the creatures are cool, and the plot is both grand and eerie. I haven't liked the look of a game this much since Sunless Sea.
    Indeed man the game is a masterpiece for sure!

You know that mystery feeling that you got when you play Dark Souls I for the first time? that you really don't know almost anything about the story only from pieces from loot and some few npcs and suddenly you discover a new tough area? I got exactly that same vibe and feeling. The best feeling for me when I play a video game is when I am lost and don't know what to do so I keep exploring and exploring until slowly I get clue or something then boooom a new secret area haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Hollow Knight's latest DLC, Godmaster, was just released and holy crap if you want a challenging 2D action game, pick this one up. This game is gorgeous, full of wonderful story, super fun exploration gameplay, and has some insane combat challenges. It's great.

This game is on the to do list for sure.

Just busy with divinity original sin 2 at the moment and spider-man coming out real soon but will pick this game up sometime in the near future

What a revelation this game is! Bought it last night and loving it so far!

To everyone liking Hollow Knight, make yourselves a favor and play Symphony of the Night. You will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    To everyone liking Hollow Knight, make yourselves a favor and play Symphony of the Night. You will not be disappointed.
    SotN is so dated and the flaws are glaring. It has been out-shined by the GBA and DS Igavanias. I would recommend those over SotN.