Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account

People using GoFundMe as a patreon

I am not sure if everyone is aware of a person who goes by the twitch name of AC_Royale, but he has donated $300,000 to various twitch streamers over the course of the last two years, set up a gofundme this week saying he was hit by a car. The actuality of the situation was that he was in serious debt due to donating all of this money to streamers, and needed the money to pay off creditors.

In my persona life, i have seen a similar pattern, where people will literally set up a GoFundMe to buy furniture, help them pay some bills they stupidly took on... etc. GoFundMe is usually used for things such as a heavy burden from medical bills, a way to help a dying child fly home, and other things such as that. There is a growing and alarming trend however of people using the website as a place to either beg, or expecting people to pay for them. What do you think?

Stupid things GoFUndMe is used for: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...re-dumb-please

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I never fund anyone on that site. Not enough verification, and also I'm poor, lol.

Deleted
    GoFund me is internet pan handling.
    Kickstarter is 'a bank won't give me money for my buisness model, how much can you cough up'
    Patreon is 'i have an opinion give me money for it'

So wait is this AC_Royale kid 'murican? Coz if hes English in the UK, NHS will pick up the tab. Lying sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Kickstarter is 'a bank won't give me money for my buisness model, how much can you cough up'

So wait is this AC_Royale kid 'murican? Coz if hes English in the UK, NHS will pick up the tab. Lying sucks.
    Pretty much all of this spot on.

Now excuse me while I go start a gofundeme so that I can donate to all these gofundme's, I would especially like to donate to Dave's beer fund.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-22 at 04:12 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah AC is in London, hes a stupid shit and wanted to keep up his "rich boy persona"

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to quote

Jesus, and I thought I was cynical. Look, these are just platforms. There are always people dumb enough to give their money away for stupid shit.

But there's really no difference between these platforms and a lot of the stuff we've had for ages:

A traditional business seeking investments and Kickstarter are pretty much the same except that you don't need to sell 1-2 people/investors on parting with huge amounts of money, you can instead just have wide support of people willing to give $1-$5.

Gofundme I think is great for people who just had bad luck. Again, this is really no different than insurance companies in some way. Insurance companies collect small amounts of money from lots of people, and pay out chunks to people in bad luck scenarios. In this case Gofundme is a way to deal with bad luck scenarios after the fact, and guess what, NO insurance company! Seems like a better system imo.

Patreon is another -cut out the middle man system. You have content creators. You have audiences. Right now content creators relied on gatekeepers for funding or had to sell advertisments to their viewers to pay the bills. This is a much purer system where people make stuff, if people like it they donate. It's better imo.

Will there be idiots taking advantage of fools on these platforms? Of course, but that's no different than what has been happening with business/advertisers/marketing/begging for all time, except that now it's just up on the internet for all to see.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I don't trust gofundme most of those shit are fakers
    Patreon and kickstarter I only donate if the item is something I want to get eventually or if it's for artist/webcomics that give out free content, then it's mostly only afew bucks for the entertainment they provide.

Any one who donates to these sort of things needs to take a very long hard look at themselves in a mirror.

If you want to fund something, buy some bloody shares at least that way there is at least a chance of some ROI rather than helping the local freeloader buy a sofa.

Why did he, guy in OP article, go into debt giving money to twitch streamers? Does he have a mental problem?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Why should people bail a moron ?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, people can abuse the platforms... but it's up to people's own discretion to donate or not.

That being said, Kickstarter and Patreon are great options for legitimate projects and individuals such as artists to get funded by people interested in their work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I honestly don't care. No one is twisting anybody's arm to donate. Move along if you don't like and/or agree with their GoFundMe page.
    You sound like a pussy piece of shit. Grats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why did he, guy in OP article, go into debt giving money to twitch streamers? Does he have a mental problem?
    Probably, yes.

Edit: It's also quite likely/possible that this guy was dropping 10,000 dollar donations on Twitch streamers and stuff in some attempt to advertise himself. People drop big donations on Twitch streamers for the purpose of getting a name/email/twitter/website/etc shoutout all the time. I could see someone being foolish enough to go into debt trying to do it.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2017-09-22 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    You sound like a pussy piece of shit. Grats.
    You really need a new one-liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I honestly don't care. No one is twisting anybody's arm to donate. Move along if you don't like and/or agree with their GoFundMe page.
    The issue with this particular instance is that the person lied about having a medical emergency to get money. The fact he got into debt by donating randomly to people is a little beside the point.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I think Kickstarter can be a great way to prove up a business plan to show a bank how much interest was generated as well.

Say you get a large amount of interest from a Kickstarter and raise up like 1.5 million dollars. Perhaps you need more capital, or you want to start off quicker. You can provide a business plan to the bank and also show the interest gained from Kickstarter to help get additional funding.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate people that just ask for money just for anything they can imagine because they can't be bothered to fund anything themselves. Take a risk and get some funding (If it's a product/service you're creating), or maybe don't do it at all, especially when some people think posting videos on youtube is a 'job'. The one thing I can maybe take exception is if someone has already made most of the product, and just need a little bit of money to finish it. You know, so that we know there's an actual thing that'll come out of it and you're not just throwing money at nothing.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?