Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Absolutely nothing lazy or selfish in downloading content that's not available in your country because of geoblocking.
    You said it's "convenient" and you don't want to wait. Not only that, you are not paying for it. Yep, that makes you lazy and selfish.

Or, if you prefer, impatient and selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The companies should provide the services equally over the world at the exactly same time if they don't want people to do that. I was watching The Expanse and then season 2 started running and it took them forever to release it on any service here so I just downloaded it instead.

Or, if you prefer, impatient and selfish.
    The companies should provide the services equally over the world at the exactly same time if they don't want people to do that.

Don't blame the people when the companies fail to provide.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-09-22 at 10:22 PM.

The companies should provide the services equally over the world at the exactly same time if they don't want people to do that. I was watching The Expanse and then season 2 started running and it took them forever to release it on any service here so I just downloaded it instead.

Don't blame the people when the companies fail to provide.
    The companies can do what they like, it's their prerogative. If you don't like how a company operates, don't consume their product.

I blame the people for being selfish and lazy.

Your argument is basically saying you don't like that a restaurant doesn't take reservations, so you steal food from their freezer.

The companies can do what they like, it's their prerogative. If you don't like how a company operates, don't consume their product.
    It's not their product. They just have a license to show it on their streaming service.

Your argument is basically saying you don't like that a restaurant doesn't take reservations, so you steal food from their freezer.
    Hahaha, nope.

It's not their product. They just have a license to show it on their streaming service.

Hahaha, nope.
    Which makes it their product...

If you don't like them, then purchase it from another vendor.

And yeah, it is like that.

Which makes it their product...
    No, it doesn't. Netflix does not own the shows on netflix for the most part, they have licenses to show them.

If you don't like them, then purchase it from another vendor.
    There is no vendor. None.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-09-22 at 10:28 PM.

No, it doesn't. Netflix does not own the shows on netflix for the most part, they have licenses to show them.
    Then buy them from a different vendor.

You don't want to do that, do you? You want to steal it, because you are too lazy, impatient, and selfish to wait.

Then buy them from a different vendor.

You don't want to do that, do you? You want to steal it, because you are too lazy, impatient, and selfish to wait.
    There is no different vendor. How do you propose I pay for something that's geoblocked?

If that's the case, as a consumer, you shouldn't buy their product if you don't like the way they present it to you.
    If there were consumer protections in place to ensure that providers weren't allowed a monopoly over certain regions, you might actually have a choice in the first place.

But companies can donate far more to a political slush fund than the average consumer or employee... so without pooled representation, you'll never have political representation.

There is no different vendor. How do you propose I pay for something that's geoblocked?
    Then it is their product to sell, and you are being selfish and lazy. You just argued against yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Piracy", however, is the equivalent of building your own Ferrari in your garage, with your own tools and materials. It isn't "stealing" from anyone.
    Piracy isn't like building a Ferrari in your garage with your own tools and materials, its more like secretly copying the blueprints and specs(stealing) then using your own tools to put together parts you had stolen.

Using your own cloning machine to clone Jessica Alba doesn't mean there was no theft involved. Unless she willingly gave you the dna to clone her, you still committed theft.
    Last edited by frogger237; 2017-09-22 at 10:35 PM.

Then it is their product to sell, and you are being selfish and lazy. You just argued against yourself.
    Geo-blocking or geoblocking is a form of technological protection measure where access to Internet content is restricted based upon the user's geographical location. In a geo-blocking scheme, the user's location is calculated using geolocation techniques, such as checking the user's IP address against a blacklist or whitelist; the result of this check is used to determine whether the system will approve or deny access to the content. The term is most commonly associated with its use to restrict access to premium multimedia content on the internet, such as films and television shows, primarily for copyright and licensing reasons. There are other uses for geoblocking, such as blocking malicious traffic or to enforce price discrimination, location-aware authentication, fraud prevention, and online gambling (where gambling laws vary by region)

Learn what geoblocking fucking is. If I can't obtain something because it's geoblocked then I will fucking download it. That's on the market for not providing me with an option to pay for it, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    If there were consumer protections in place to ensure that providers weren't allowed a monopoly over certain regions, you might actually have a choice in the first place.

But companies can donate far more to a political slush fund than the average consumer or employee... so without pooled representation, you'll never have political representation.
    Then get rid of the laws that push for such things.

A company that produces a product is not obligated to all everyone to distribute it, they can sell it how they please.

- - - Updated - - -

Geo-blocking or geoblocking is a form of technological protection measure where access to Internet content is restricted based upon the user's geographical location. In a geo-blocking scheme, the user's location is calculated using geolocation techniques, such as checking the user's IP address against a blacklist or whitelist; the result of this check is used to determine whether the system will approve or deny access to the content. The term is most commonly associated with its use to restrict access to premium multimedia content on the internet, such as films and television shows, primarily for copyright and licensing reasons. There are other uses for geoblocking, such as blocking malicious traffic or to enforce price discrimination, location-aware authentication, fraud prevention, and online gambling (where gambling laws vary by region)

Learn what geoblocking fucking is.
    I know what it is. That doesn't change the fact that you are being lazy, impatient, and selfish for pirating things you have not paid for.

Stop trying to pretend to be a victim, it's pathetic.

I know what it is. That doesn't change the fact that you are being lazy, impatient, and selfish for pirating things you have not paid for.
    Tell them to fucking stop geoblocking then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Piracy isn't like building a Ferrari in your garage with your own tools and materials, its more like secretly copying the blueprints and specs(stealing) then using your own tools to put together parts you had stolen.
    1> They haven't lost their blueprints, so it's more like I have access to them and they wish I didn't.
    2> No stolen parts at all. I'm building them myself from raw materials.

Copyright infringement is not theft.

Tell them to fucking stop geoblocking then.
    You tell them, by refusing utilize their service.

1> They haven't lost their blueprints, so it's more like I have access to them and they wish I didn't.
    2> No stolen parts at all. I'm building them myself from raw materials.

Copyright infringement is not theft.
    You aren't building the game/music/show from scratch.

The problem is that whether or not the current group that pirates affects sales, it about whether or not acting on that piracy will affect sales...

Consider:

Today: 1% of the population pirates, companies do nothing.
    Next week: Seeing companies do nothing, 5% of the population pirates.. companies still do nothing
    3 weeks from now: See the 5% get away scot free, 25% decide to pirate, companies do nothing
    2 months from now: Watching the 25% get their stuff for free, 50% decide to pirate since there are no consequences...
    and so forth....

*all numbers made up for explanation purposes*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    You aren't building the game/music/show from scratch.
    Do you mean the intellectual property? Of course not, but copyright infringement also doesn't take that away from the original creators, so that's a non-point.

If you mean the particulars of the specific copy? Yes, you're either making that from scratch or assembling it from parts you've made/purchased yourself.

Conflating separate things to make copyright infringement look worse than it is is why we're in this weird place with it. We're talking about the same "crime" as making a mixtape for a friend.

Do you mean the intellectual property? Of course not, but copyright infringement also doesn't take that away from the original creators, so that's a non-point.

If you mean the particulars of the specific copy? Yes, you're either making that from scratch or assembling it from parts you've made/purchased yourself.

Conflating separate things to make copyright infringement look worse than it is is why we're in this weird place with it. We're talking about the same "crime" as making a mixtape for a friend.
    And yet, it's an indication that a person who does it is rather selfish. He wants to take things from others without paying for them, and is willing to rationalize such actions.