Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Funny enough this made me interested in checking out Fortnite's Battleroyal mode.

So far it isn't bad.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Bluehole gonna really be sweating when one of EA/Ubisoft/Activision/Valve throw their hat in the battle royal ring if they're that salty about epic doing so.

Man, the original creators of the first dota-style game in SC1 got a hell of a windfall coming for them with all the big companies they can sue for copying!

And oh damn, the first fps game can sue nearly all FPS games in existence, including PUBG!

For real though, you can't sue for game-play elements, style, mechanics, even maps layout or the like. You can only sue if they directly copy some elements like items (and not as in the effects of the item, but the model being directly copied).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Funny enough this made me interested in checking out Fortnite's Battleroyal mode.

So far it isn't bad.
    If a dog barks at the moon, nobody blinks. If the moon barks back, the dog is famous. This is just free publicity for Fortnite, they must be damn happy.

Also, using the name of another game in promotional material has been done before. Who here remember the whole "We are not in Azeroth anymore!" from the Rift promotions?
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2017-09-23 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Man, the original creators of the first dota-style game in SC1 got a hell of a windfall coming for them with all the big companies they can sue for copying!

And oh damn, the first fps game can sue nearly all FPS games in existence, including PUBG!

For real though, you can't sue for game-play elements, style, mechanics, even maps layout or the like. You can only sue if they directly copy some elements like items (and not as in the effects of the item, but the model being directly copied).

If a dog barks at the moon, nobody blinks. If the moon barks back, the dog is famous. This is just free publicity for Fortnite, they must be damn happy.

Also, using the name of another game in promotional material has been done before. Who here remember the whole "We are not in Azeroth anymore!" from the Rift promotions?
    Well its like Skyrim but with Guns....

I find Fortnite's horde system to be bland and boring. But I can see this being a fun Battle Royal game. I only did one match and it wasn't bad. It lacks a lot of stuff right now tho and a few of those things they are adding on the 26th.

I was original like why when I first heard about this. But now that I tried it, I am ok with it. Even more so since its a BR game I can play on my PS4.

So its safe to say thanks to PUBG I had a change of heart about Fortnite's BR mode.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-cla...ut-epic-games/

I think it's great that there's more competition and everyone should be able to create their own battle royale game mode, and it's not about the idea itself, it's about Epic Games, and that wasn't really clear
    We use Unreal Engine to develop PUBG, and we pay a large amount of royalties based on the size of our success to Epic Games
    we're starting to have concerns that they're going to develop new features or improve something in the engine to support that battle royale gameplay, and then use it for their own game mode.
    It was just a bit surprising and disappointing to see our business partner using our name officially to promote the game mode
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2017-09-23 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryntrollian View Post
    damage control

Waahh wahhh Epic big fat meanies, support own game using engine developed over decades, wahhh wahhh

Take this as a sign to work on your own damn code. Overhaul your shit ass game and stop complaining. Your shithole company has been working with Unreal Engine since Tera, and yet your new game is just as atrocious programming and code wise. Take this as a sign to hire actual talent to redo your shit code, or shut the hell up and move on from Epic
    Last edited by Foosha; 2017-09-23 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    [url]

"We have also noticed that Epic Games references PUBG in the promotion of Fortnite to their community and in communications with the press. This was never discussed with us and we don't feel that it's right."
    That bit is the only potentially damning thing I can see, but I would have to see the promotions mentioned to pass judgement. I mean if they make a game that is essentially the same and then say come play our game its pretty much a copy of this other massively popular game then I can see the point as its trying to be made. If its not that direct I am not so sure, I mean its not the first game of its type. It *may* be the first to really do it right, but that's a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbjorn View Post
    The concept has existed at least as early as text games in the 90s:

1992: Genocide, an LP MUD: https://www.geno.org/
    1994: PKmud, a DikuMUD: http://pkmud.net/

Possibly some Doom mods or BBS games might predate?
    Yep, this Greene asshole is pretty arrogant and no doubt bets on peoples ignorance (which seems to work) because he sure as hell was not the first to implement the BR scheme in a game, at all.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070222...=inc_about.htm

Here's quake royale, from over 10 years ago.

In fact, calling him a fraud and fake designer is quite fitting.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People that had success using a non-original Idea complain that other people are using a similar unoriginal idea.

PUBG is already a shit game, why would you want to emulate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    People that had success using a non-original Idea complain that other people are using a similar unoriginal idea.

PUBG is already a shit game, why would you want to emulate it.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

Because of it's popularity? You can say "it's shit" all you want.

Fact is it's become a hugely popular game in a short period of time so of course people will emulate or try to compete with it. Look at all the CCG games and Shooters that came along after Hearthstone and Overwatch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Hasn't fortnite been in development wayyy longer than PUBG?
    Fortnite's Battle royale was made in mere months

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    That bit is the only potentially damning thing I can see, but I would have to see the promotions mentioned to pass judgement. I mean if they make a game that is essentially the same and then say come play our game its pretty much a copy of this other massively popular game then I can see the point as its trying to be made. If its not that direct I am not so sure, I mean its not the first game of its type. It *may* be the first to really do it right, but that's a matter of opinion.
    We made a PvP mode for Fortnite. We love Battle Royale games like PUBG and thought Fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version.
    Only thing i've seen in the email

Deleted
    PC Gamer:
    So what I think I'm hearing is you would like Epic to license their battle royale from you? Is that what I'm hearing?

Bluehole:
    What I think is, they should have at least came to us before making it and had a discussion with us.

So, there's another issue. We're going to get some technical support [from Epic], and we're going to work with them to make sure Unreal Engine better supports battle royale gameplay which requires 100 people in one session, and now we're starting to have concerns that they're going to develop new features or improve something in the engine to support that battle royale gameplay, and then use it for their own game mode.

PC Gamer:
    But not give [the improvements] to you, even though you've licensed the engine, is that what you're saying? They'll develop technology that improves their battle royale but is restricted from you?

We could be afraid when we make new features in the engine by modifying it internally, that is not already available and public, that feature could be leaked, or other things could happen.

From what i can read the problem boils down to the above
    bluehole isn't that mad or angry about them making "copying" their mode
    they're mad that they and Epic games are "partners" and feel epic games is stabbing them in the back by making a game with the exact same genre without having told them and they're also afraid that epic games will keep improvements to unreal engine that are Battle Royale mode related to themselves to prevent competition of their own Battle royale game.

It's more about courtesy

Bluehole knows that they have no legal standing to back them up, but they're still mad

Isn't that PlayerUnknown guy the one that bends over backwards for streamers? M8 can go get fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Fortnite's Battle royale was made in mere months

- - - Updated - - -

Only thing i've seen in the email
    If it was just that I don't think I would have sided with PUBG at all.

Having read the article listed as a update in the original post though I think the main side of this isn't even what was represented in the OP before the update. The conflict of interest when Epic Games is receiving such very high royalties from PUBG while at the same time not paying a license fee to use Brendens idea like Daybreak Games and [Bluehole] did. They have other valid concerns in the updated interview as well that are worthy of some thought.

After reading the updated interview I admit to being a little concerned and siding with PUBG to a greater extent than I ever would have over some advertising material.

If anyone hasn't read that updated link, please do, it brings the main issue into far greater detail. Will re-post the link as well.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-cla...ffer-pcgamertw

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure Epic Games doesn't need permission to say "our game plays like X game". If they were to trash talk it would have made a case but other than that.

Also, Fornite seems to be a working game compared to PUBG, and I say this as a person who only owns PUBG. If it wasn't for social pressure from friends I'd never have purchased the pile of shit it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

Fact is it's become a hugely popular game in a short period of time so of course people will emulate or try to compete with it. Look at all the CCG games and Shooters that came along after Hearthstone and Overwatch.
    It's the follow up of Dayz. Actually, every single survival game has been a hit..people want a good survival game, but it doesn't like any is coming any time soon.

I saw a pretty good FPS shooter "escape from something", it actually looked good and had decent mechanics...I wonder if it also was survival.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    PC Gamer:
    So what I think I'm hearing is you would like Epic to license their battle royale from you? Is that what I'm hearing?

Bluehole:
    What I think is, they should have at least came to us before making it and had a discussion with us.

So, there's another issue. We're going to get some technical support [from Epic], and we're going to work with them to make sure Unreal Engine better supports battle royale gameplay which requires 100 people in one session, and now we're starting to have concerns that they're going to develop new features or improve something in the engine to support that battle royale gameplay, and then use it for their own game mode.

PC Gamer:
    But not give [the improvements] to you, even though you've licensed the engine, is that what you're saying? They'll develop technology that improves their battle royale but is restricted from you?

We could be afraid when we make new features in the engine by modifying it internally, that is not already available and public, that feature could be leaked, or other things could happen.

From what i can read the problem boils down to the above
    bluehole isn't that mad or angry about them making "copying" their mode
    they're mad that they and Epic games are "partners" and feel epic games is stabbing them in the back by making a game with the exact same genre without having told them and they're also afraid that epic games will keep improvements to unreal engine that are Battle Royale mode related to themselves to prevent competition of their own Battle royale game.

It's more about courtesy

Bluehole knows that they have no legal standing to back them up, but they're still mad
    They aren't partners though. You purchase an Unreal Engine license and that's where the contract ends. It ain't more complicated than buying a pair of shoes from Amazon so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

Popularity =/ good

The super majority that own and play this game all agree this game is a pile of crap compounded by more crap. Sure it's "fun", but in no way, at all, is the game good. Just like Leisure Suit Larry can be fun, but is it a good game? Hahahahaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Popularity =/ good

The super majority that own and play this game all agree this game is a pile of crap compounded by more crap. Sure it's "fun", but in no way, at all, is the game good. Just like Leisure Suit Larry can be fun, but is it a good game? Hahahahaaaa
    And your source that the majority are saying this? Or are you just attempting to speak for people because of your dissatisfaction with the game? I mean you are entitled to your dissatisfaction but when you start attempting to speak for the majority it starts to come off as blind hate more than anything.

I think it's an ok game for what it is. Nothing groundbreaking but something to play when I want to chill.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-23 at 10:38 PM.

Deleted
    LIFE PRO TIP: Don't sue the company that owns the license for the engine you use

Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    LIFE PRO TIP: Don't sue the company that owns the license for the engine you use
    They aren't sueing them. They just expressed dissatisfaction at Epic for making a Battle Royale mode similar to theirs. Which I don't see an issue with Fortnite doing. Of course you will copy a successful game/formula. It's what companies have been doing for years. Either copying the formula or improving upon the formula.

Blizzard improved upon the 3D MMO formula set down by Everquest and FF11 and we ended up with WoW for example.

And yes it's a stupid move by Bluehole considering Epic are letting them use Unreal 4. Not to mention Bluehole have absolutely no right to pretend they own the game genre. Hell if they keep it up then they can enjoy running their game on another engine because I imagine Epic won't want to do business with people actively trying to give them shit.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-23 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Hasn't fortnite been in development wayyy longer than PUBG?

This. Pubg looks like a wank arma anyway.