Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The studio was already apprehensive with the first one so I doubt they would invest in a second one after the first one basically broke even. Ironically, if they had more faith in the first movie and hadn't meddled so much, it would have been a much better movie, would have made more money and probably would have a sequel on the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    The studio was already apprehensive with the first one so I doubt they would invest in a second one after the first one basically broke even. Ironically, if they had more faith in the first movie and hadn't meddled so much, it would have been a much better movie, would have made more money and probably would have a sequel on the way.
    Studios will never learn.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, it didn't do well. It was a financial failure (didn't break even) and largely got negative reviews. I don't think there will be a second movie.
    Hmm? Due to Wikipedia, the Budget was $160 Million, and it made $433.7 Million at the box office?

According to "the hollywood reporter" "it needed to earn $450m to break even" , Depends if people want to really believe a magazine, but I still think there will be a second.

It got mostly negative reviews purely from "rotten tomatoes" site etc, who usually put **** reviews up anyway, to a true WoW fan, no matter what, it was a good film to actually watch, even for those non-wow fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    Whats up with the waiting time?

Didn't the movie do well enough for them to get to number 2?

Also the way it left it out with baby shrek it was short of a cliffhanger moment.

I do wanna see warcraft 2 as a movie, and I do believe its going to be much better than the 1st one (there were a lot of points in the 1st one that the movie could evolve, like the plot which was totally off for the first 40m-1h you didn't know what was going on)
    I think there will be one, but it all depends on actors, when it is suitable etc and budget for this one.

Duncan Jones has expressed interest in a sequel to the film likely to get adapted from Tides of Darkness from Warcraft 2.

I hope there is one, and not to forget to mention that it is alternatively called "Warcraft: The Beginning", I doubt blizz will leave it the end lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Personally I liked the first movie a lot, but I would really appreciate the same style as their cinematic trailers much more. The visual of the movie was just.. awkward. Also the story was different from what we already know from the books, but I was ok with that, something was better, something not.

From what I know, movie wasn't successful as everyone expected except in China. In EU there were very mixed feelings and the movie was a failure in the America.
    I would love to see the second movie now when they know the reactions and that there are obviously many things to improve. But I am afraid they will give up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I honestly have no idea how studios make their decisions.

Sin City worked well enough....then they took ages to make a sequel and that just failed on every level apparently.

Both Pacific Rim and Prometheus made comparable box office business (though different by countries / continents) - yet Prometheus sort of quickly got a sequel (that is even worse and made far less, but on a bit smaller budget).

For Pacific Rim, they have been dancing a round a sequel for the longest time, I think it is currently happening

...or for Avatar...look how long that is taking to get a sequel (guess that is down to James Cameron and him alone), while the Marvel and Star Wars universe is just chucking out the films.
    That´s because he´s making all the sequels at one all 4? of them.

Deleted
    I remember there was a Blizzcon where Metzen talked about the movie, and he said he'd love to see it as a TV show because it would fit more the lore. I agree with him, the movie was great, but (the famous "but" when everyone talk about the movie ) it felt rushed and a series would have time to explore more stories.

They could try a Warcraft series on their own, even (and mostly) if it's all cinematic style.
    Last edited by mmoc9f2431382a; 2017-09-22 at 03:45 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    On paper it made a profit of nearly two and a half times over its production cost so it's easy to say it deserved a sequel purely from a financial standpoint but the devil is in the details. It bombed at the domestic box office which is where the studio receives the largets box-office cut, did marginally better in the international market which provides a smaller cut and did extremely well in China which provides the smallest cut.

If the majority of your sales comes from a country which takes 75% of the generated income, financially bombs at the domestic box office and is critically panned then no studio will touch it. Throw in high marketing costs and it only gets much worse.

At best, expect an Asian CGI film much like Resident Evil Degeneration way, way, wayyyyy before a world wide big screen event.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-09-22 at 03:47 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    hmm 6.9 on imdb and id say yes its around 7 at max. I think they tried making some kind of Lotr movie but they failed due to the story lacking an actual plot until the very end. Still better than many other movies around.

Also breaking even depends on merch selling after the movie etc, wow subs I guess can be accounted to that.
    imdb works with averages doesnt it?
    it means it cant be trusted, corporate and butthurt kids can skew the results, try using rotten tomatoes

That said, i didnt see the movie despite being a massive wow nerd since 2004, only seen glympses of it on tv...looked like utter shit.

Deleted
    The production budget was $160 million. There's more costs than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Another user said that even Duncan Jones said it didn't break even. Also, as said above, the $160 million was just the production budget. There's more costs.

Look, I'm a "true WoW fan", but that movie was shit, I'm sorry. Personal opinions, I know... but it was horrid.
    I don't really watch too many films so hey, Maybe I thought it was good cause the only other films I compared it too was CGI ones also, which tbf were pretty shit haha

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    warcraft lore fan here.

movie failed, and failed hard, i was one of those who wanted to see the warcraft on the big screen, and now, if i go back in time, i'd try to protest against it, the movie was horrible story wise, so rushed, so fast that didnt even give people the chance to understand.

some plots are totally out of place and cringey, garona/lothar love? the fuck? where is the build? yeah 2 hours is not enough.

to be honest, the moment i knew the movie was 2 hours long, i knew it is going to be a big flop, so i was not surprised when i saw it.

it needs a strong director, who can fight back the studios and prevent cutting, Duncan is new, he cannot protest, that will make him known as "hard to work with" which is bad for new directors.

Never saw the first one, when a friend who likes some really terrible movies said it was bad that was enough reason for me to not see it. I think the mistake they made was trying to do live action when they should have done a CGI movie. If they do another ever they need to pick a better story, stick to the story much better and go CGI.

We'll probably get a Dark Tower sequel (which was actually worse than the Warcraft movie <did worse in theaters if I recall>) before we see Warcraft 2.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Nope.
    The party who made the movie and WoD tie-in have lost, both their projects lost big, and they were fired from Blizzard. The movie director was fired from Legendary. No one will ever touch that franchise again.
    I can't see or find any sources about anything you said here.

By the way the movie was far from perfect, had problems in a lot of places, but it was still enjoyable.
    If your problem with the movie is about game canon you fail to see the major problem about the lore of WC and about porting it on a big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    If studios can make a Sharknado 5 than Blizz can sure as hell do a Warcraft 2.
    Sharknado is a guaranteed win: it costs peanuts to make and everyone likes movies about sharks and other monsters.
    Almost no one likes cheap fantasy junk the WoW movie will be if you make it with Sharknado budget.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seraknis View Post
    I can't see or find any sources about anything you said here.
    You cannot find sources?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ainment-965108
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-left-Blizzard
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/c...aves_blizzard/
    https://www.polygon.com/2016/9/13/12...metzen-retires

Paul Sams previewed that failure and left on his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took 10 years to get the story for the first one down give it time.

I'd love it, but I don't think it's going to happen. Universal and Legendary didn't get the massive success they'd want from such an expensive movie, Metzen is essentially retired and Duncan Jones is busy with other projects.

Now a fully-animated "Hearth and Home"-style Warcraft movie or show made by Activision-Blizzard Studios? That's definitely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrock View Post
    A lot of movie made less money than Warcraft Movies and has required more.

I have totally loved the first movie and I really hope it will be a second.
    I know not everyone liked the movie. But like you, I also really liked the movie. And the people coming out of the theater that I was in were pumped with what they just experienced. And I'd also love to see a second one.

I'm not sure they'll actually do one; but it'd be great if they decided to go for it. I'd also be pumped about a TV series with a decent budget.
    Last edited by Liarparadox; 2017-09-23 at 07:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Pretty sure they did not made the numbers to unlock permission for a Warcraft 2, and I have a feeling it is dead
    fixed that. yw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    The movie was neither a failure nor a success.
    On the contrary it was a HARD fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Resident Evils are dumb action movies with guns and zombies and at least break even on domestic markets. Because guns and zombies.
    And a watchable main actress

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    If they ever make a Warcraft movie again, they need to do it in-house in full cgi. And before you start with "they need real actors and it would take too long", I don't wanna fucking hear it. The cgi cinematics for the game up until now didn't need real actors, and Gul'dan in the WoD cinematic looks better than Gul'dan in the movie. Way better. Figure it the fuck out, or don't make movies anymore.
    This and I have been saying this forever!

10+ Year Old Account
    It performed strongly enough in China and Russia that I'd say odds are good we'll see a sequel. Blizz wouldn't be the first studio to continue a franchise after disappointing financial returns--see X-Men, Resident Evil, The Hobbit. And even some of what are regarded today as among the best movies of their genre disappointed greatly at the box office (Blade Runner comes immediately to mind, as it barely did better than break even at the box office but became one of the codifiers for the cyberpunk genre, as well as a heavy influence on sci-fi in general). Not to claim Warcraft was cinematic masterwork, but it's hardly The Spirits Within or anything with Uwe Boll's name attached, either like some people want to paint it out. We may not see Warcraft 2 in the next couple years, but it did well enough in the EU, Russian, and Chinese markets that I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out before it crosses from 'sequel' to 'soft reboot.'
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    No, it didn't do well. It was a financial failure (didn't break even) and largely got negative reviews. I don't think there will be a second movie.
    Classical US arrogance, thinking they are the end all be all of the world. Maybe the movie didn't do well and got negative reviews in the US, but it did very well in the rest of the world.

It's time to just ignore the US and focus more on China. It can work.