Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Speculation: New Argus Models

Typically at the end of an expansion we see tests for later expansion technology or models, for instance the new Garrosh model in WotLK, which inspired the Pandaren model in MoP, which inspired the newer Garrosh at the end of MoP, which inspired the new race models in WoD. At the end of WoD we had new demon models for Legion.

So it's interesting to speculate what Argus means for the new Xpac, they've created 3 new zones in Argus, with a range of new models and not just using sporebats. Such as the Broken and the Void-Broken that are a lot like Pale Orcs (void devolved Orcs), the Ethereals, the new space panthers, etc. Does this mean that not just Etherals like Locus Walker might be involved in the next expansion, but Broken/Void Broken as well?

My speculation on this means that there's a slight likelihood that Argus either becomes a 1-20 newbie zone for a new Ethereal race in the next expansion (who have to clean out the remaining fel/void remnants in Mac'aree) or that a large population of survivors get relocated onto Azeroth, including the Krokul faction of Broken who assist us in fighting the void on Azeroth.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

Deleted
    A lot of the hints we've seen from 7.3 is that the void is our next big enemy. There is little doubt about it, and the Army of the Light, the Lightforged draenei which have new looks, new beards, new horns, new hair, I think they're showing what their engine is capable of, as well as creating a new krokul race and model that is based on the draenei model rather than the tauren model like the old krokul/broken. If anything, I think they're confirming deeper and more customisation options, including sub-races, for everyone, the demon hunter customisation options pretty much also confirmed this, but I bet we'll see more soon at Blizzcon. Just gotta be patient.

The new Ethereals aren't player-compatible models; they don't have the animations or the changable gear. These are made specifically to be NPCs. If Blizzard were going to introduce Ethereals as a playable race any time soon they would not have gone through the effort to make these new NPC models, they'd have used the new playable Ethereal models and animations instead. It is very likely that Ethereals will feature in the next expansion, but won't be playable.

The void-broken are pretty simple models and only have one variation (unlike the new Ethereals who have loads). I would say they are only intended for this patch and we probably won't see them again.

The Krokul though have full Draenei player animation rigs. No changable gear though, so it's hard to say. There's a chance they were made mainly for Argus and only recieved so much effort because the models can be reused for the Broken in the future as well. But it does add some credence to the supposed "sub race" leak, although they would still need quite alot of work to make them fully player-ready models.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-09-23 at 04:05 PM.

I don't think models will be coming. Though the crawling void krokuun have possibly explored new ways to animate on the ground and such. What I will tell you is...

New Sky boxes. Richer environments. Argus basically is their testing grounds to invigorate the landscapes we use as part of gameplay. At the moment flying was probably disabled to make players stay grounded for lore or whatever but I think the real purpose was trying to develop technology that could cater for these new skyboxes and change the gaming landscape as we know it. Withdrawing sky boxes could stop conflicts for early and newly developed tech that could be interfered with by players by accident finding issues.

If you look at Star Augur Etraeus and Argus in the sky, they are sky box addition that animate a lot better and generally have a better feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I don't think models will be coming. What I tell you is...

New Sky boxes. Richer environments. Argus basically is their testing grounds to invigorate the landscapes we use as part of gameplay. At the moment flying was probably disabled to firstly make players stay grounded for lore or whatever but I think the real purpose was trying to develop technology that could cater for these new skyboxes and change the gaming lanscape as we know it.

If you look at Star Augur Etraeus and Argus in the sky, they are sky box addition that animate a lot better and generally have a better feel.
    Well with the new view distance and the well part of Argus being *distorted* but not playable is a cool addition.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Well with the new view distance and the well part of Argus being *distorted* but not playable is a cool addition.
    Well it's cool but if it's new tech which it is, having flying and players finding flaws or causing issues is going to happen. I personally have no problem with the flying generally, except those once in a while "oh for fuck sake" moments. It's no different really to having phasing problems and CRZ when it first came. Quests went weird and so on. It's gotten better but you can't expect it to be flawless in a game that never stops.

Another thing to point out - 7.3 added a new variation of the Void Revenant model, which so far only got used for a single quest mob.

I think the Vindicaar is actually a bit of a tech demo. Being able to dynamically shift Hearthstone location dependent on where you use it is definitely new.

South Seas theory: Ship models from WoD and Vindicaar technology from 7.3.

Void/K'aresh theory: New ethereal models, ethereal architecture and Void textures and effects. Mac'Aree skybox for floating pieces of a broken world.

Void/Nihilam theory: New Pantheon models, corpse-themed environment (Invasion point Sangua/Sethekk Hollow) and Void textures and effects.

Old God/Aqir theory: Void Broken "climbing walls" like insects, the Silithus scenario and Void textures and effects. Antoran Wastes skybox for large underground zones.

White Lady/Blue Child theory: Spinning Azeroth in all Argus skyboxes.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-09-23 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I don't think models will be coming. Though the crawling void krokuun have possibly explored new ways to animate on the ground and such. What I will tell you is...

New Sky boxes. Richer environments. Argus basically is their testing grounds to invigorate the landscapes we use as part of gameplay. At the moment flying was probably disabled to make players stay grounded for lore or whatever but I think the real purpose was trying to develop technology that could cater for these new skyboxes and change the gaming landscape as we know it. Withdrawing sky boxes could stop conflicts for early and newly developed tech that could be interfered with by players by accident finding issues.

The skyboxes in Argus are indeed amazing. However if they are going to try to limit their use of flying mounts in the future they need to stop the horrendous design the likes of Antoran Wastes, Tanaan, or Broken Shore. These zones are just not fun to play through and inevitably make flying mandatory to enjoy in any capacity, but with Antoran wastes that will never come.

Timeless had infinite range charge stunning mobs which was dumb as hell but at least that was only on a 5th of the island.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myta View Post
    Typically at the end of an expansion we see tests for later expansion technology or models, for instance the new Garrosh model in WotLK, which inspired the Pandaren model in MoP, which inspired the newer Garrosh at the end of MoP, which inspired the new race models in WoD. At the end of WoD we had new demon models for Legion.

So it's interesting to speculate what Argus means for the new Xpac, they've created 3 new zones in Argus, with a range of new models and not just using sporebats. Such as the Broken and the Void-Broken that are a lot like Pale Orcs (void devolved Orcs), the Ethereals, the new space panthers, etc. Does this mean that not just Etherals like Locus Walker might be involved in the next expansion, but Broken/Void Broken as well?

My speculation on this means that there's a slight likelihood that Argus either becomes a 1-20 newbie zone for a new Ethereal race in the next expansion (who have to clean out the remaining fel/void remnants in Mac'aree) or that a large population of survivors get relocated onto Azeroth, including the Krokul faction of Broken who assist us in fighting the void on Azeroth.
    There's also new draenei models as well. New hairstyles, horns, glowing yellow eyes, etc.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    There's also new draenei models as well. New hairstyles, horns, glowing yellow eyes, etc.
    That could be a symptom of a character customization revamp, which could be a feature in any expansion theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myta View Post
    The skyboxes in Argus are indeed amazing. However if they are going to try to limit their use of flying mounts in the future they need to stop the horrendous design the likes of Antoran Wastes, Tanaan, or Broken Shore. These zones are just not fun to play through and inevitably make flying mandatory to enjoy in any capacity, but with Antoran wastes that will never come.

Timeless had infinite range charge stunning mobs which was dumb as hell but at least that was only on a 5th of the island.
    You'll need to be specifics because the only issue I have with Argus is the positions of Spirit Healers(Prime Naaru technically).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally-speaking, if Blizz does a major model update late in an expansion it's typically because that model's going to be used a lot in the following expansion (see: Siege of Orgrmmar Garrosh model using the WoD player Orc model base, demon models in Tanaan being previews of Legion demon models). That tells me there's a very good chance we'll be seeing a lot of ethereals in the next expansion, and there's been an awful lot of work put into the Lightforged Draenei and the updated Broken models for just one patch's worth of content.

So, my tinfoil hat says we'll likely see some subraces (mostly the no-brainers like Broken draenei, mag'har orcs, the other two dwarf clans, that kinda thing; the ones that have a notable presence already within the Alliance and Horde) as well as possibly playable ethereals or at the very least a large ethereal presence through a rep faction and major storyline NPCs.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Subraces. Lightforged and broken = draenei subraces. Atleast Lightforged, there's no way all those unique hairstyles that fit playable draenei models were only created for nameless npcs.

Ethereals I don't think will be a playable race, but I do think that they'll be major players in the story to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The new Ethereals aren't player-compatible models; they don't have the animations or the changable gear.
    I don't think this is a barrier, particularly with respect to the models.

I still maintain we'll be getting Ethereals as a playable race, only they'll be like Druid forms/etc 24/7. That is, they'll have a few models to choose from (like artifact skins), and armour models that we'd see on other races will be hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    I don't think this is a barrier, particularly with respect to the models.

I still maintain we'll be getting Ethereals as a playable race, only they'll be like Druid forms/etc 24/7. That is, they'll have a few models to choose from (like artifact skins), and armour models that we'd see on other races will be hidden.
    Sure, people want more customization, let's give them a race without customization...

7+ Year Old Account
    Give the Alliance Broken and Horde Ethereals? Hmm that could be a possibility. That's how I am looking at this at least. Maybe Broken as a Subrace and Ethereals as a Neutral Race for both sides.

"Only Beasts are above deceit" - Rexxar

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    That's just a bullshit excuse for you not wanting playable ethereals, of course they have plenty of customization, look at all the fanmade stuff especial by golden yak.

Blizzard is creative.
    I wasn't talking about playable ethereals, I was talking about a whole playable race that can't wear gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Source on them unable to wear gear?

looks fine to me
    Read the post I was replying to...