Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cartoons with character development.

A lot of cartoons have a strict status quo, with characters staying the same as they've always been. So, what are some cartoons with good character development?

My Little Pony: friendship is magic (seriously)
    The character development can be slow at times but it's there and somewhat constant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bojack Horseman.

I mean... Most of the characters develop into broken versions of themselves... But they develop.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

There are a plethora of Japanese Cartoons i.e Anime that have good character development.

Too many to list here.

You should check out Venture Bros. All of the core cast develop over the course of the show.

The old teen titans that got cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    A lot of cartoons have a strict status quo, with characters staying the same as they've always been. So, what are some cartoons with good character development?
    If you consider Vegeta from Dragon ball Z he is one who develops a lot

Any show that doesn't have a status quo they return to after every episode usually has character development, which is a lot of shows. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Rick and Morty are two shows that come to mind which have standalone episodes, but still manage to develop the characters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rick and Morty ahs some character development.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

steven universe, gravity falls, mlp: fim, a whole shitload of anime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, both of the Avatars, Young Justice...
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    There are a plethora of Japanese Cartoons i.e Anime that have good character development.

Too many to list here.
    Cowboy Bebop comes to mind. Starts out pretty light-hearted, with shenanigans and such, but as the series progresses you find out that the characters all have pretty deep backstories and motivations.

FMA: Brotherhood is another one with quite a lot of character development.

The various incarnations of Ghost in the Shell. Although I'd say it's less about character development than story development.

Wolf Children if you want a hit in the feels.

Strangely enough, the "Monogatari" series has a fair amount of character development over the various seasons, as more and more of the story is revealed. Although it's kind of difficult to follow sometimes, and the humor definitely isn't for everyone.

But yeah, there really are too many to list them all, with varying levels of quality.

Archer has actual consequences for every episodes actions. Even the dumb jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, both of the Avatars, Young Justice...
    I'll second ALL of these. High marks for being non-anime as well.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would be quicker to answer if you provided some preferred themes instead of asking for an entire genre of anime (seinen).

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'll second ALL of these. High marks for being non-anime as well.
    Well they're western anime aka. cartoons
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Regular Show has a good amount of character development but its not really a thing in the first couple seasons. Its one of my favourite shows though!

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I assume you're referring to Character Progression, not development. Development is just how much meat is on the bone of a character, so to speak.

Zuko from The Last Airbender is probably the greatest example of character progression I can think of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rick from Rick and Morty has the best character arc ever. It's Szechuan sauce. 97 YEARS, RICK AND MORTY!

Oh, and since no one has said it yet: Adventure time. Characters actually AGE and mature. The main character, Finn, starts off as around 12 and finishes the series as an adult. I'm pretty sure he loses his virginity in one episode...

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    I'll second this. OP was asking for shows with some character development and Airbender has that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland