Poll: Underwater Zone

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The 3D aspect to the Occulus wasn't why people disliked it. It was because none of their gear, talent choices, or skill with their class mattered. It was all replaced by the vehicle system. That, and aggro in that place was massively out of control. You couldn't move 5 feet in the wrong direction without pulling 20 dragons.
    Then your experience differs significantly from mine. In my experience, for the same reason people hated Malygos, they hated Oculus: many people just couldn't handle having to be in a 3d space for a boss fight.

Don't know what you are talking about with regards to the rest of the place. The zone was a joke of an instance. With a capable group it was one of the fastest 5mans to clear.

Not unless Blizzard solves it's 3D engine first. The current one has no depth hinting, and ques from the fantasy environment are fairly nonexistent. I have no problem navigating 3D environments, and do it in many other games. In WoW it is horrible.

Deleted
    They tried while having so much content in their backyard... then realized that even the first encounter with the zone drove all off. This realization cost us a good Cataclysm-expansion.

Not a huge fan of it in this game. If it were more GW2-esque with different weapons and attacks for underwater battles (as well as just better swim animations), then possibly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The 3D aspect to the Occulus wasn't why people disliked it. It was because none of their gear, talent choices, or skill with their class mattered. It was all replaced by the vehicle system. That, and aggro in that place was massively out of control. You couldn't move 5 feet in the wrong direction without pulling 20 dragons.

- - - Updated - - -
    It's also difficult to judge distance while mounted in that dungeon, largely because it's open sky, so there's no real shadows etc to help 'place' the player. It's also worth remembering that when that was current, there were a LOT of keyboard turners / clickers, all of which make that place more difficult. And while talents didn't matter, your gearscore absolutely did in relation to your attack or healing power during the last boss.

I liked the feel of Vashj'ir a lot, so sure.

I'd like to get one, to mix things up. Two in one xpac seems like a bit much tho, unless they're both a mix of above-ground and underwater.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I voted for loving it, because I would appreciate more Vashj'ir-like zones part-and-parcel. Though, if I could make one small tweak, it would be to have gravity (i.e. Iron Boots) when not mounted. Also, projected texture effects or spells with casting reticles, as well as "cast where standing" effects would need tweaking. And the moon-walking-on-the-sea-bed effect would need to be automatic and global, not behind 5-6 quests which immediately set a negative tone for the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's also difficult to judge distance while mounted in that dungeon, largely because it's open sky, so there's no real shadows etc to help 'place' the player. It's also worth remembering that when that was current, there were a LOT of keyboard turners / clickers, all of which make that place more difficult. And while talents didn't matter, your gearscore absolutely did in relation to your attack or healing power during the last boss.
    IIRC, at the time of release gear didn't matter. It wasn't until later that Blizzard updated the dragons to scale with equipment. By then it was too late.

However, all your other points are completely valid. I wonder how well a full 3D "flying" environment would work with more terrain and obstacles to restrict movement and give better context and ability to judge distance and such. Combined with better a better camera and interface, I think it would work well. But then again, I'm a well known pro-flight player anyway, so I might be more than a little optimistic here.

I hope underwater zones make a splendid come back and haters drown into their exotic waters.

I completely loved Vashj'ir. It's there was perfect for me....infortunately WoW's engine is not exactly underwater friendly. So while I'd like another Vashj'ir experience (stranted, fighting for your bare life) there needs to be some kind of improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally would not want to deprive the people who loved the zone of new ones. Sure add them.

BUT

Please make them optional.

Vashj'ir gave me terrible motion sickness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike underwater zones because my brain just can't process depth very well. My depth perception IRL is bad even with glasses and in-game it gets even worse. It also disorients me and gives me headaches. So for me it's more of a physical limitation that detracts me from enjoying those kinds of zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    Wow engine isn't really good for 3 dimensional combat.

Vashj'ir, while probably most beautifull zone in wow, was a clusterfuck in the combat and orientation

I'm fine with small underwater sections (with swim speed buffs) like the one in Suramar but not the entire zone
    Out of curiosity, why do you think it was so bad for combat/orientation?

I have a terrible sense of direction in almost all situations, and I never found it to be particularly confusing. Why do you think WoW's engine's not good for 3-dimensional combat? Seems perfectly normal to me. You see a mob. You attack the mob. It runs towards you, and you kill it. Same as anywhere else in the game.

I loved Vashj'ir so much. Even besides the obvious beauty and colours of the area, the scope of it was simply magnificent. Even though it was just a small part of the ocean. Really took my breath away. I presumed I'd feel claustrophobic etc before I set foot in it, but I had no problem with it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    I personally would not want to deprive the people who loved the zone of new ones. Sure add them.

BUT

Please make them optional.

Vashj'ir gave me terrible motion sickness.
    Now that I can understand. If that's how it affects some people, we shouldn't really see more implemented imo.

It was alright, but more of a gimmick that anything else. I wouldn't want to see it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Then your experience differs significantly from mine. In my experience, for the same reason people hated Malygos, they hated Oculus: many people just couldn't handle having to be in a 3d space for a boss fight.

Don't know what you are talking about with regards to the rest of the place. The zone was a joke of an instance. With a capable group it was one of the fastest 5mans to clear.
    Hmm we do indeed have different experiences then. Almost everyone I ever heard complaining about both the Occulus and Malygos back in WotLK disliked them because it was vehicle combat, and nothing at all to do with having a 3d space.

I mean, you could tell some people struggled with it, as evidenced by the amount of drakes people used to pull when circling the middle portion of the map before the second boss. But I always presumed those were the same sort of people who accidentally aggro every single trash mob they see in instances on the ground too, so I thought nothing more of it.

Vashj was annoying with the mechanics and all, but for me I hope there is never an underwater zone for an absolutely ridiculous reason...I have a terrible phobia of deep water and the ocean. I don't like to watch any kind of show where they are filming under the ocean, I can't watch a show like Deadliest Catch when they are out on the ship and the sea is pounding over them with waves. The first time I ever saw the ocean in person, I had the worst feeling of dread come over me like I never felt before or since, like I was staring straight into the mouth of hell itself.

Doing things like Vashj was not fun for me, I tried not to look off in the background distance much, and the worst was when you'd go in the deep dark part and had to go down that whirlpool to get to the dungeon. I mean, while questing there I eventually got used to it after a while, and it's not as if it bothered me terribly...just made me a bit twitchy at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I almost fully believe that if there was a poll about ebola on this board it'd be split or leaning in favor of it.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Threa View Post
    I dislike underwater zones because my brain just can't process depth very well. My depth perception IRL is bad even with glasses and in-game it gets even worse. It also disorients me and gives me headaches. So for me it's more of a physical limitation that detracts me from enjoying those kinds of zones.
    Have you tried using the action camera setting? It sets the camera into an over-the-shoulder perspective instead of directly behind your character. It might help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    I almost fully believe that if there was a poll about ebola on this board it'd be split or leaning in favor of it.
    How is that relevant?

It can't be that you're drawing parallels between a deadly, agonising disease and a completely subjective video game opinion, because that would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    No it means there is a lot of empty space or needlessly large subzones. Needing a mount to move about a zone to make it comparable to moving around by foot just shows that. i don't want to need to mount up to make a zone tolerable. Im a MUCH bigger fan of the compact zones in legion and would want that reflected in future zones.
    Because worlds are small and compact.