Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

The word "Priest" isn't inclusive.

I saw someone else mention this and I realized that they were right.

For those that don't know, Priest is masculine, and Priestess is feminine. But for some reason in game, we only have the ability to create Priests, even when our character is female.

Does anyone else find this a little discriminatory? What if a female character wanted to be called a Priestess (like Tyrande is) rather than just a priest? It forces an unwanted male perspective when playing.

I also think there should be more gender neutral names when playing too. Many people use X to replace the feminine or masculine letters in a word, so a totally inclusive version of "Priests" could be "Priestx"

thoughts?
    change can't wait.

I think this PC crap has stopped to be funny a long time ago and anybody who seriously has an issue with that needs to have his head examined.

No and if this is the kind of things you think about all day you might want to look into getting some help.

Deleted
    Food for your thoughts, the french loc genders the classes.

Male priest is "Prêtre"
    Female priest is "Prêtresse"

Tbh, I feel that the need to denote Masculine and Feminine is the real issue. As it labels a specific difference between genders. The only difference between a Priest and a Priestess is whether they are in "Innie or Outie" not whether they can do their chosen job. I extend this though to anything that titles differently solely based on gender, but that's just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsake View Post

For those that don't know, Priest is masculine, and Priestess is feminine. But for some reason in game, we only have the ability to create Priests, even when our character is female.

Does anyone else find this a little discriminatory? What if a female character wanted to be called a Priestess (like Tyrande is) rather than just a priest? It forces an unwanted male perspective when playing.

I also think there should be more gender neutral names when playing too. Many people use X to replace the feminine or masculine letters in a word, so a totally inclusive version of "Priests" could be "Priestx"

thoughts?
    No, and keep this SJW bullshit out of our game please. Bad enough they've infected sports and comics. Ask Marvel how well caving in has done for them.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind a text change like this. People are blowing this out of proportion, but is this what you really think of when it comes to problems with WoW?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Priest, Priestess.
    Warlock, Witches?

...Anyway, not discriminatory, probably some problens with the engine early on, or something related to the lack of feminine variatons for some of the class names. Paladin is Paladin, female Paladins are Paladins. But if female Priests could be Priestess, some female Paladins would pester to be renamed Paladiness, and this is a very weird name.

You could make the same case for every single class in the game.

thoughts?
    I think it would be better if there was a difference, simply from an aesthetics point of view. I usually hate when women are referred to as sir or lord etc, and this is similar. It's not coming from an SJW stance, as I think SJWs should be gassed, I just don't like how it sounds when referencing masculine pronouns for females.

So I agree with the OP, but not with his bullshit reasoning.

Why the need to have gender-specific variations in the first place? That's the only issue.

As a female player with 3 female priest characters, I'll keep the Priest label thank you very much.

The etymology of priest is not gender specific. It's from German, which afaik doesn't embed gender into their nouns--the oldest word root is a word for "elder", which is of course a neutral term in English.

We just add gender identity to some words, I think. Host/hostess, steward/stewardess, etc. If it was a masculine term, I could see it, but just because the "ess" version exists doesn't mean the default is masculine.

English isn't a straight romantic language where our mechanics are based on gender--our genderization comes from adopted words or a patrynormative culture.

And while we're on the subject, creating an individualized gendered form for every noun really just exacerbates gender norms anyway. Collectively agree that a word is gender neutral, and it becomes that way. That's how language works.

That said, I think it would be cool if you were given some options to choose from for your class name. If you could opt for it at character selection. I don't have a problem with the idea of "priestess," but I don't think this is an issue of masculine normativity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodroki View Post
    Food for your thoughts, the french loc genders the classes.

Male priest is "Prêtre"
    Female priest is "Prêtresse"
    Can confirm this for the german version too

Male: Priester
    Female: Priesterin

The spanish version of wow changes class name based on gender, no need to go with any obnoxious unpronouncable Xs in there

Nah, gendering titles isn't PC. Didn't you watch Hot Fuzz?

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Paladin is Paladin, female Paladins are Paladins.
    Palatinistrix. Duh.

Male night elf priests are still known as Priestesses of Elune. It's just a title. Plus, doesn't the PC already get the High Priestess title if they're female?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Tbh, I feel that the need to denote Masculine and Feminine is the real issue. As it labels a specific difference between genders. The only difference between a Priest and a Priestess is whether they are in "Innie or Outie" not whether they can do their chosen job. I extend this though to anything that titles differently solely based on gender, but that's just my personal opinion.
    This is exactly how I feel about the issue - the gender doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter.

10+ Year Old Account

thoughts?
    I believe this to be more or less a weak complaint. Isn't priest just a common term when you talk about both genders united?

Even so, I don't find it discriminatory, I don't look at the Vrykul with the horned helmets and yell discrimination because we didn't use horned helmets unless for celebratory reasons. I don't have a need to seek safety within a game, I am already feeling safe here. If people bring PC and SJW terms within the game even more, then I wouldn't feel safe there anymore.

I use it to escape the real world, take a break from it.

thoughts?
    And many people ad some extra letter because they can't get the name they want, or because being called, XXLICHXX is so much cooler, or because someone on a stream used the QT tag and so on..

- - - Updated - - -

Priest, Priestess.
    Warlock, Witches?
    Now, isn't that wrong? I wouldn't call a female warlock a witch. Isn't that discrimination at the harvest witches?

...Anyway, not discriminatory, probably some problens with the engine early on, or something related to the lack of feminine variatons for some of the class names. Paladin is Paladin, female Paladins are Paladins. But if female Priests could be Priestess, some female Paladins would pester to be renamed Paladiness, and this is a very weird name.
    Ugh, 'Paladiness', sounds like someone just was in a hurry to pick a name for their character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    You could make the same case for every single class in the game.
    Yup, basically could.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Actually, beautifully said.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    We have female priests in the UK, we call them priests.