Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could still keep the combat logs for those that want it. A much more subversive idea is to make the data private and not shareable. You could still improve but the social aspect and abuse would lessen.

Since most people want to keep them so they can improve I guess it wouldn't be a problem if only the player could see the data. Right?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    They could still keep the combat logs for those that want it. A much more subversive idea is to make the data private and not shareable. You could still improve but the social aspect and abuse would lessen.
    But so would the cooperation of assisting underperforming players who otherwise may not even be aware they're underperforming, let alone why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    We'd have to return to 2-ability bosses, 2-button rotations, with owning resistance gear and being max level making up the hurdle rather than performance of your class vs encounters.

No thanks. Logs, simming, theorycrafting, boss encounter evolutions = all comes from players striving to get better. Without logs and damage meters, players would simply speculate and use anecdotal evidence compiled in order to gauge strengths and weakness of specs.

You can play "without demands", it's called LFR... Hell, even Normal I'd argue...
    I think this post sums up everything about combat logging and tools made for players. That's people trying to be better.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Nothing wrong with damage meters and combat logs. As per usual, the issue lies on the misuse of these tools by less savory individuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greylan View Post
    But so would the cooperation of assisting underperforming players who otherwise may not even be aware they're underperforming, let alone why.
    If assistance and help were being offered, the log could be uploaded to any of the standard sites for analysis. Problem solved.

No, I suspect that the primary reasons that people would have a problem with this are much less high-minded.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

If assistance and help were being offered, the log could be uploaded to any of the standard sites for analysis. Problem solved.

No, I suspect that the primary reasons that people would have a problem with this are much less high-minded.
    Or they're raid leaders who need the information immediately and easily accessible.

I suspect the people that would be in favor of this are bad at the game and fear the abuse they get from some toxic people. Those toxic people would just find a different way to abuse them while the people who use the tools in a positive fashion would simply lose them. It's a bad idea all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Greylan View Post
    Or they're raid leaders who need the information immediately and easily accessible.

I suspect the people that would be in favor of this are bad at the game and fear the abuse they get from some toxic people. Those toxic people would just find a different way to abuse them while the people who use the tools in a positive fashion would simply lose them. It's a bad idea all around.
    Honestly, it just prevents a different kind of abuse. We can't control how players choose to behave, but we can give them the tools to make good decisions. Like, I feel like people who diss on players easily based on dps meters (not talking about constructive criticism) would do the same without meters. They just would have no evidence and blame whomever instead of just certain people.

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    Honestly, it just prevents a different kind of abuse. We can't control how players choose to behave, but we can give them the tools to make good decisions. Like, I feel like people who diss on players easily based on dps meters (not talking about constructive criticism) would do the same without meters. They just would have no evidence and blame whomever instead of just certain people.

Exactly right, hence the appropriate conclusion is: The problem is toxic people, not meters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Was wondering what implication of removing combat log numbers on game would be.

Do you think it could ultimately help diversify builds since people and devs would care less about balance, and would create more fun builds, stats, traits and options? Or you think it will outright kill the game today with everyone so used to meters?
    Nobody knows how to play and/or if he plays properly. I mean doing mechanics with shit dps is easy, so how do you make out a good player?It was rather hard in gw2.

The MAIN reason you play online Is competition, removing meters and logs will result to a hard time analyzing your class, and literally destroy the sense of competitivness.
    Just because some people like to call those who are decent at the game "elitist" when they point out their shit performence Is literally the whole point of the game, to improve your gameplay and always thrive to push yourself...

I would even do the opposite and Implant those things In games like D3 and other MMO's who dont have that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    snippet
    Truthfully that sounds better than what we have today really. Even if its available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Keny View Post
    The MAIN reason you play online Is competition, removing meters and logs will result to a hard time analyzing your class, and literally destroy the sense of competitivness.
    Just because some people like to call those who are decent at the game "elitist" when they point out their shit performence Is literally the whole point of the game, to improve your gameplay and always thrive to push yourself...

I would even do the opposite and Implant those things In games like D3 and other MMO's who dont have that.
    Eh... that's not the main reason for a great deal of people, especially in WoW. The game isn't JUST about trying to be the best, those that do strive for that should do so but don't act like it's the only thing that matters.

And pointing out someone is bad in a rude manner is elitism yes, it's annoying and unnecessary.
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2017-09-24 at 10:45 PM.

imo nothing wrong with damage meters and combat logs that's mostly what drives me to play the game atm is to get high parses.DBM,weakaura and addons similar to these that "play the game" for you is what i would like to see removed but is too late for that..

Quote Originally Posted by Thargas28 View Post
    Truthfully that sounds better than what we have today really. Even if its available right now.

Fuck that.

The people wanting that are clearly not the demographic HC+ raiding is tailored to. Those people have LFR and Normal, as I said earlier. If those difficulties too have "elitism" and "demands" too great for certain players to overcome, those players belong on servers-that-shall-not-be-named.
    Although I'm certain even people playing on those servers, do theorycrafting and run dps addons... Shoot, candy crush it is then? Although I'm sure there's a forum somewhere discussing and dismissing optimal strategies for each level...

It's entirely possible to play HC+ without banging ones head against logs and dps meters. Those things do provide raid leaders with apt information on what is preventing or helping a kill however. Can't believe some players are so socially anxious that the mere thought of these tools has them develop a phobia against peformance in this game...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-09-24 at 10:58 PM.

They would never be able to have a 'gear-check' enrage timer ever again which would severely limit their own scope in developing tense timed encounters.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Since most people want to keep them so they can improve I guess it wouldn't be a problem if only the player could see the data. Right?
    What would be the point though?
    Can't the people that don't like these group up and not use them?

Why remove options? Seems like a bad idea.

Also, it seems likely that the people that don't want these are the ones that need them the most. If you're bad something but don't know it, you'll never get get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Was wondering what implication of removing combat log numbers on game would be.

Do you think it could ultimately help diversify builds since people and devs would care less about balance, and would create more fun builds, stats, traits and options? Or you think it will outright kill the game today with everyone so used to meters?
    Excellent idea. Be shittier. Gg

10+ Year Old Account

Again: Why make special cases for DPS?! Everyone can see when a healer or a tank fails (even w/o meters).

Same stuff as now would happen, only differences are that the players who want to improve will find it harder and the players who dont would have a hard time being called out for poor performance. A lot more wipes and a lot less ability to figure out why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keny View Post
    The MAIN reason you play online Is competition
    The main reason to raid for me was cooperation.
    Downing challenging bosses as a team.

Sure, seeing where I stand compared to others was interesting too. While I want to perform well and not hold my team back, I'm not very competitive by nature, so I never gave a hoot about rankings and stuff.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2017-09-25 at 04:31 AM.

Only the bad players would benefit from it being gone. Literally no reason to get rid of it.