Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They could make a much cheaper sequel and coast on the foreign sales.

Legendary which is owned by a Chinese company must surely have seen how well it did in China and in Europe to think OK maybe lets give it another shot but maybe lets not throw 160 million dollars at it.

But do we really want a slapdash sequel that no doubt disappoint and just be about Thrall cause China is too tetchy when it comes to all that skeleton and ghost shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not a netflix / HBO series of (world of) warcraft?
    Like every season could be about each expansion pack. Perhaps first 2 seasons about vanilla.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    They could make a much cheaper sequel and coast on the foreign sales.

Legendary which is owned by a Chinese company must surely have seen how well it did in China and in Europe to think OK maybe lets give it another shot but maybe lets not throw 160 million dollars at it.

But do we really want a slapdash sequel that no doubt disappoint and just be about Thrall cause China is too tetchy when it comes to all that skeleton and ghost shit?
    Shouldn't the same quality animations be possible for a lower cost now when they have their special "orc maker" software?

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Legendary Studios is a subsidiary of a Chinese conglomerate. Also, the domestic U.S. market is increasingly less important for whether or not movies get made. It's a big wide world and money is money.

The movie didn't do well enough to guarantee a sequel but didn't do badly enough to make a sequel a terrible idea either. Basically the movie didn't live up to expectations which were unrealistic to start with.

Just being fair and realistic here. I think if a sequel was really in the works we'd know something about it. We don't. But that doesn't mean that there aren't scripts out there in turnaround and someone thinking it over.
    Was pretty unrealistic to believe they wouldn't retcon important parts of the lore I suppose.

They should do an animated movie instead. It would probably be a better quality as long as it was not like anime.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Shouldn't the same quality animations be possible for a lower cost now when they have their special "orc maker" software?
    Thing is its not like the film had major movie stars in it! All it had was that guy from Shawshank redemption doing the voice over and that other guy from 'Vikings'

Most of the budget must have gone to all that crap looking plastic armour and CGI but surely they shouldve warehoused that shit?

I'm not sure if we will ever get one, honestly it's a shame because I think it had potential. Sure it was a love it or hate it kind of thing and had some big problems, but they could've learned from that and improved.

I didn't regret my ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Propably not.

If it weren't for China, it would have been a major loss.
    Yes but that's kind of like saying that without the earth's atmosphere nobody would turn up to the next Avengers film.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    They should do an animated movie instead.
    Someone should take the film and just animate the human characters. Might actually improve it quite a bit...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Why not a netflix / HBO series of (world of) warcraft?
    Like every season could be about each expansion pack. Perhaps first 2 seasons about vanilla.
    You'd at least have to cover Warcraft III first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, it didn't do well. It was a financial failure (didn't break even) and largely got negative reviews. I don't think there will be a second movie.

It's production budget was $160 million, but there are more costs to making a movie.

Cast
    Rights and Writers
    Producers
    Director
    Production Costs
    Post-Production Costs
    Marketing
    It actually did VERY WELL in China, totally eclipsing the production overhead and expense.
    And, in fact there is already a plan to do a sequel.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it didn't do well. It was a financial failure (didn't break even) and largely got negative reviews. I don't think there will be a second movie.

It's production budget was $160 million, but there are more costs to making a movie.

Cast
    Rights and Writers
    Producers
    Director
    Production Costs
    Post-Production Costs
    Marketing
    According to IMDB, it cost 160M to make, but it have made:
    433.677.183*$ (World-wide)
    So, it earned 2,5x what it cost to make..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    If they make a Warcraft 2 and it's not Arthas' story arc, then I'm going to do the same thing I did for the first movie and not even bother to watch it.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    If they make a Warcraft 2 and it's not Arthas' story arc, then I'm going to do the same thing I did for the first movie and not even bother to watch it.
    No studio would risk that story cause the Chinese are so fucking Tetchy when it comes to Skeleton and Ghosts and shit. Though its not techincally illegal the Chinese Censors specially in some provinces wont allow it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    No studio would risk that story cause the Chinese are so fucking Tetchy when it comes to Skeleton and Ghosts and shit. Though its not techincally illegal the Chinese Censors specially in some provinces wont allow it.
    Warcraft doesn't have any story silver screen-worthy to have a chance of succeeding here unless it's the Arthas story. So they'd have to pick, either pleasing the western world or the eastern world.

The first movie bombed here pretty hard, and the second would do the same. Especially if they do like NELF well of eternity shit.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Hopefully never. Maybe just release it in China, I don't that kind of disapointment in here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    They should do an animated movie instead. It would probably be a better quality as long as it was not like anime.
    Exactly!

The human actors (playing terrible imho) didnt mesh really well with the uber-cgi orcs and environments.
    The paper-plastic lookalike armor on hummies was really bad for example in contrast to the cgi ork equipment.

The scale of things were off too. Orks were too large, like ogre scale, and too bulky.
    Combat was lackluster visually and not a bit inspiritional. I mean, i know humans were meant to be beat, ok thats the history of Warcraft, but this way, cmon? They died in dozens without ever being able to fight back. Fcks sake these are trained soldiers in supposed metal armor and with sharp weapons, and they die like flies... ^^
    Other than Superhero Ninjamaster Lothar ofc... Mehh.

A full animated movie would get them the opportunity to get the scales fit again.

Id like a Warcraft Movie again with the game cinematic style (or Animated Short style) made. That would be awesome!

I do wonder what wouldve happened if the movie was released at the same time? Remember it took nearly 2 weeks for it to hit US cinemas after the EU and China got at it!

Nearly everyone in my guild (US server) was fucking pumped to see it but that 2 week wait and what with all the negative reviews it never stood a chance at the US box office!

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you not read what you quoted? The $160 million was just the production cost.
    Exactly.. Production = 160M, sales = 433M -> Profit = 273M

In case you don't know, production costs = Salaries + Travel + Rental of stuff/locale + Post-production... In other words: Production costs cover every expense from idea to finished product.

Then you have marketing and distribution, but those costs are usually minor, when talking about movies.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2017-09-25 at 07:52 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish they had told the story of WCIII, would have been so much more engaging but WoW scrapped all that.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

15+ Year Old Account
    Please no it was a purge....
    Poor actors choice, plastic armors, scenario was too complicated for non-players and only 1 murloc was shown.

10+ Year Old Account

Cast
    Rights and Writers
    Producers
    Director
    Production Costs
    Post-Production Costs
    Marketing
    Typically all listed points except for marketing is included the production budget. Where did you think those 160 mil went otherwise if not for production costs?

To tell if WoW broke even is iffy, though. It did really well in china but the state takes a larger share of the revenues than other box offices. There are exception tariffs for that but only if the production co qualifies as a Chinese company. Which Legendary Pictures could be counted as since they're owned by the Wanda Group, but that acquisition was sort of recent when the movie went out.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Exactly.. Production = 160M, sales = 433M -> Profit = 273M
    No. The negative cost is 160M. There is also advertisement, manufacturing and distribution cost, guild payments, interest for investors, etc. The total expenses for Warcraft are over $400M.
    The CINEMAS income is $433M. The STUDIO income is about $150M.
    The profit from home video $50M.
    So the streaming and TV rights, the merchandise, etc. should net about $200, which they apparently didn't.

The movie is a failure.