Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Exactly.. Production = 160M, sales = 433M -> Profit = 273M

In case you don't know, production costs = Salaries + Travel + Rental of stuff/locale + Post-production... In other words: Production costs cover every expense from idea to finished product.

Then you have marketing and distribution, but those costs are usually minor, when talking about movies.
    $433million is what was taken at the box office all of this does not go to the studio; the cinemas need to cover their overheads and expenses as well as making a profit. As rule of thumb the studio receives around 50% of the box office take.

Marketing for a blockbuster movie can run into hundreds of millions and is often around 50% of the production budget.

Based on these, very rough, figures (before factoring in the reports of Chinese box office fraud) the movie made a loss of around $20million but it is possible that income from DVD/Blu-ray, Premium movie channels and streaming has pushed Warcraft's bottom line into the black.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Why not a netflix / HBO series of (world of) warcraft?
    Like every season could be about each expansion pack. Perhaps first 2 seasons about vanilla.
    Yeah, they could get Jack Black in when they get to MOP.

5+ Year Old Account
    The first one is one of the worst movies I've seen, but I wouldn't mind a second attempt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Facts I don't want to know?
    Okay, here goes the logic of the "realistic, passionate WoW lovers" with those "actual facts"

"HEY, SHUT UP MAN!!! 2 + 2 - 2 = 8! ITS A FACT!!!!"

Are you feeling OK?

Then you have marketing and distribution, but those costs are usually minor, when talking about movies.
    Marketing + distribution often costs more than production.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ruggles-721818
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I'm feeling great. Especially when you ask me that kind of question.
    LOL OK keep taking the tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    $433million is what was taken at the box office all of this does not go to the studio; the cinemas need to cover their overheads and expenses as well as making a profit. As rule of thumb the studio receives around 50% of the box office take.

Marketing for a blockbuster movie can run into hundreds of millions and is often around 50% of the production budget.

Based on these, very rough, figures (before factoring in the reports of Chinese box office fraud) the movie made a loss of around $20million but it is possible that income from DVD/Blu-ray, Premium movie channels and streaming has pushed Warcraft's bottom line into the black.
    Ignore, didn't read the entire post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Marketing + distribution often costs more than production.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ruggles-721818
    Distribution is virtually ZERO, as (almost) all cinemas use digital copies.

Marketing... If we're talking about Warcraft specifically, there hardly was any... It was fan based chatter, presentation at BlizzCon and poster here and there.... Not a very costly thing..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by flyleaf View Post
    It wasn't successful in NA & just medicore in EU. China is another story, very successful there and the studio got bought by a chinese company. It's possible they produce something focused on the chinese market maybe without a cinema release in the rest of the world, we'll see.
    They will replace all the actors with Chinese and the next movie will look like a Final Fantasy 14 cut scene

No. It was forgettable generic fantasy.

According to IMDB, it cost 160M to make, but it have made:

So, it earned 2,5x what it cost to make..
    Sorry but thats not really how it works. I'm not sure how many times that has to be said but there is so much more to it than just saying production was 160M and they made 433M. So yea, profits all around. Thats just not how it works.

This is still a true statement from wiki that was posted earlier.

"Despite receiving negative reviews from critics and a disappointing domestic box office performance, the film has grossed $433 million worldwide, surpassing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time as the highest-grossing video game adaptation of all time, although it was still considered a financial disappointment.

Warcraft grossed $47.4 million in the United States and $386.3 million in other countries for a worldwide total of $433.7 million, against a production budget of $160 million. Given its $160 million budget, The Hollywood Reporter reported the film needed to earn at least $450 million to break-even"

There is a lot more to it than just what you seem to think and if there is any truth to the fraud in China numbers. The movie is even more in the red. If you look up Liuzhou in Guangxi Province during that flood. Those people did not go to the movies as they had other more serious things to worry about. So the numbers from China are very suspect.

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-bo...come-scrutiny/

Quote Originally Posted by Dromes View Post
    Doesnt production budget include most of these? (specially the production costs lol)
    SNIP....
    No not really.

Here is an interesing article on how some of it is broken down. It's got a little age on it but it's not bad.

http://stason.org/TULARC/movies/curr...reak-even.html

And if you want to get into a bit more about ROI for movies you cna read this a bit of this. It's pretty good.

https://storyality.wordpress.com/201...on-investment/

warcraft just didn't make enough money to be seen as a profitable move. Thats why a second is very unlikely and given second movies rarely do as good as the first. You'd have to have a second movie with a drastically decreased budget and that a receipt for a flop when talking about a warcraft movie if there ever was one.
    Last edited by quras; 2017-09-25 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Exactly!

The human actors (playing terrible imho) didnt mesh really well with the uber-cgi orcs and environments.
    The paper-plastic lookalike armor on hummies was really bad for example in contrast to the cgi ork equipment.

The scale of things were off too. Orks were too large, like ogre scale, and too bulky.
    Combat was lackluster visually and not a bit inspiritional. I mean, i know humans were meant to be beat, ok thats the history of Warcraft, but this way, cmon? They died in dozens without ever being able to fight back. Fcks sake these are trained soldiers in supposed metal armor and with sharp weapons, and they die like flies... ^^
    Other than Superhero Ninjamaster Lothar ofc... Mehh.

A full animated movie would get them the opportunity to get the scales fit again.

Id like a Warcraft Movie again with the game cinematic style (or Animated Short style) made. That would be awesome!
    This would be much better than the movie was. I totally agree about the orcs and the backgrounds. They were not immersive at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, it didn't do well. It was a financial failure (didn't break even) and largely got negative reviews. I don't think there will be a second movie.

It's production budget was $160 million, but there are more costs to making a movie.

Cast
    Rights and Writers
    Producers
    Director
    Production Costs
    Post-Production Costs
    Marketing
    LOL so you don't ACTUALLY know then right? Because as I recall it grossed nearly 430 million worldwide. There is a lot of speculation regarding the additional costs you mention and most analysts (using industry standards) put those costs right at ~270. Suggesting that the film MAY have broke even... but is by no means a success story. But without EXACT costs we can only speculate.

These figures also don't account for any DVD/Bluray sales, which is another opportunity for the studio ride the money train.

Though again, the best case scenario is most likely breaking even. Which isn't exactly what investors shoot for when backing a blockbuster title.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...itable/245134/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ofitable.shtml

An interesting read that may have you thinking twice about the accuracy of "Hollywood Accounting".

Lucasfilm for example has or had made the bulk of its wealth from licensing and merchandising, and not actually from the movies themselves. Making the movies glorified commercials for toys, and other collectibles/memorabilia.

In any case given the international popularity if a sequel were made I could easily see it being licensed to a foreign studio, and probably released in Chinese rather than English. That's IF they made a sequel.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-09-25 at 03:44 PM.

While I'd love a Warcraft 2, odds are we won't get it due to how poor it did in the US. Sure, China could help fund the sequel since it was so big there but I think China would end up being a problem when adapting Warcraft 3 and TFT due to their cultural hangups on the supernatural/paranormal.

They'd almost have to go the animated/CG route.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Yeah, they could get Jack Black in when they get to MOP.
    He'd be the perfect Chen Stormstout!
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

5+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind a second attempt. After all, it couldn't be any worse than the first...

I wish they'd make it all in to movies, but that's not gonna happen.

Remember way back when they showed a promotional image of Teldrassil from the movie? It had such potential to be something great... It really is a shame they ruined it like they did

Considering how horrendous the first one was, I really couldn't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    The problem is that they thought it would be a good idea to establish what happened first, but honestly they should've just begun with Illidan or Arthas' story.

Get the right director for Arthas' story and you'll have a smash hit. I have a feeling that the director who made Logan would've been the perfect guy for Arthas' story in particular.