Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionjah View Post
    It's Elementary, one slice should be plenty. Plus all the healthy sides and even a cookie they get. That's how it was for us 90's kids back at the time, and we grew up at huge obese rates when Mcdonalds had "Super Size Me" and FDA wasn't as strict with fat and calories.
    The school goes up to 6th grade. When I was in 5th/6th grades on the occasion we had pizza for lunch as the main course one slice wasn't enough and that was with sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    This seems like the best choice to me. Flax seed rye crust seems like it would be really good to give it more fiber. No added sugar to the sauce.
    Good way to make pizza taste like shit and then nobody will eat it other than hippies

1 in 5 kids in the US are obese. Not overweight, Obese.

If the parents cant take care to ensure their kids are healthy the state has to step in to prevent a real health crisis.
    You don't want schools fucking with your kids lunch? treat them better yourself.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Explain "done right.
    Then explain how they afford it.
    Its actually cheaper to make it from scratch than it is to buy a case of frozen pizzas from Sysco, but the school "cooks" are too damn lazy to do anything other than throw frozen food into an oven. Nothing cheaper than flour, a bit of yeast, and water. You could make 10 pizza crusts for the cost of 1 frozen pizza, and the sauce can be made inexpensively too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Lots of stories, gotcha.
    They aren't wrong. If I sent my younger child to school with crap for for lunch (my kindergartener) I'd get a note sent home detailing what they were missing nutritionally, and some places even throw that lunch away, supplement them with a school lunch and then charge you for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I'd send my child to school with half a home-made pizza and tell them to eat it right in front of whoever made this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    They aren't wrong. If I sent my younger child to school with crap for for lunch (my kindergartener) I'd get a note sent home detailing what they were missing nutritionally, and some places even throw that lunch away, supplement them with a school lunch and then charge you for it.
    I would refuse to pay. If I took the the time to pack a lunch for my child, it would be what I and said child deemed tasty and appropiate. If they're going to throw out my hard work, I'm billing them for the cost of what was in it. If they keep doing it, I'd buy something super expensive.
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2017-09-25 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its actually cheaper to make it from scratch than it is to buy a case of frozen pizzas from Sysco, but the school "cooks" are too damn lazy to do anything other than throw frozen food into an oven. Nothing cheaper than flour, a bit of yeast, and water. You could make 10 pizza crusts for the cost of 1 frozen pizza, and the sauce can be made inexpensively too.
    It would take much longer. Also a pizza maker is a skill not anyone can just wing it.

Yes, limiting the amount of slices once at week at school will set them on the right path in life! I'm sure every one of these children have parents who feed them nothing but nutritious all the time and never order a pizza as well; but if the time ever did come where their parents chose to be abusive and bought pizza for dinner...these kids now know to say "NO! I cannot take 2 slices, mom... eating 2 pieces means I will become extremely obese and not be a healthy person!".

Thank God all the people feigning agreement the comments here that eating pizza is bad for kids never ate pizza or any junkfood as a kid. Giving children pizza sometimes is truly TRULY one of the worst things that could happen to a poor defenseless child.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    pizza is a treat and not a nutritious lunch.
    Depends on what you put on your Pizza. Oo

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    Yes, limiting the amount of slices once at week at school will set them on the right path in life! I'm sure every one of these children have parents who feed them nothing but nutritious all the time and never order a pizza as well; but if the time ever did come where their parents chose to be abusive and bought pizza for dinner...these kids now know to say "NO! I cannot take 2 slices, mom... eating 2 pieces means I will become extremely obese and not be a healthy person!".

Thank God all the people feigning agreement the comments here that eating pizza is bad for kids never ate pizza or any junkfood as a kid. Giving children pizza sometimes is truly TRULY one of the worst things that could happen to a poor defenseless child.
    1 in 5 kids are obese. Schools can't prevent parents from stuffing their kid full of shit food so they tackle the 1 place where they can control it, during school hours.

Schools wouldn't have to do this if parents bothered to parent themselves.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Don't most kids just take their own lunch? I stopped eating school dinners at age 6

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Don't most kids just take their own lunch? I stopped eating school dinners at age 6
    Many do, except on days where the school is serving something the kids might want, like pizza. Home made lunch can get kind of boring or stale.

My kids bring their own lunch but are allowed to buy once a week, if there's pizza on the menu for that week they always pick that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    That's... quite sad to hear. Still have cooks over here.
    Yeah it's really pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so fucking glad I graduated in the 90s....

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    From 1985-1993, I lived across the street from my school and just went home for 30 minutes and made my own lunches. High school lunches were pretty good though as we had 3-4 choices each day and my favorite was the build your own sandwich (usually got the kaiser roll with ham, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and a slice of pepperjack cheese) with some baked french fries.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Also a pizza maker is a skill not anyone can just wing it.
    LOL - no, no it isnt. Perfecting a recipe for pizza is a skill, but actually making them takes about the same amount of talent as putting a frozen one in a microwave. You can knead the crust instead of tossing it and come out with a perfectly acceptable result.

OT- schools do this kind of stuff all the time, it's called cutting costs. Now they just have an easy way to spin spending half as much money on feeding your children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    1 in 5 kids are obese.
    Its about half that, actually, around 1 in 9 or 1 in 10.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    1 slice is half the calories of 2 slices.
    Was that supposed to be some great wisdom from Tennisace? What other great quotes may we write down, Sherlock?
    * do you want to have a bad time?

In the land of the free government and government funded schools determine how much pizza is to much pizza.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    How many pizzas to you think they'd have to make for an entire school? Take note that schools usually don't have super many cooks. Think some of the schools i went too had 5-10. Now imagine when they'd have to start making food for around 400-500 kids.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    1 slice is half the calories of 2 slices.
    And because its half the calories you can have twice as much