Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I'm not even a tank main yet I understand the value of Shirk...to the point I'm too lazy to swap it out whenever I'm doing dungeon runs or whatever (because if I'm needing something like Convalescene or that poopy parry cd, there are bigger problems). I've used Omega normal to teach fellow FC members the value of Shirk by indicating that with that extra bit of threat transferred over, I'm able to spend all of maybe 10 seconds of an entire fight with Grit up (at the start), then it's on to pound town.

Then I look at my ACT and more often than not I've been the top dps. I like putting out the damage, no matter what role I'm playing, but c'mon...

The "buy back/refund" deal that WoW has with loot is something this game could sorely learn from. You're easily a honest misclick away from buying something you don't need whatsoever. At least in your case, you still picked up a fending piece and not, for example, a maiming helm instead of the fending helm.
    Lol yeah, If I accidentally bought a different item I probably would have unsubbed and taken a break. It really wouldn't have impacted me negatively since gear really does fuck all in this game but the premise of this is QoL 101. This should have existed in ARR, let alone SB.

Kudos for teaching people that shirk is important.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I haven't done normal mode in forever, but I despise co-tanking with most pugs. At least now with DRK, I can default to the MT position easily because I lose virtually nothing by starting as tank, and 1 Dark Arts Power Slash is enough for just about every piece of content that I might pug. The only problem is during swaps when no tank ever wants to use shirk.

My last memory of doing an 8 man pug of Deltascape was O4, and the DRK pulled (I was playing WAR) and stayed in grit. W/e, his loss I figured. I provoked early when he screwed up several mechanics in a row and wound up with a 3 stack of Vuln and a Thunder debuff. Except he stayed in Grit and kept using Power Slash. I let him keep it since he really wanted it, and he died shortly thereafter to the next Thunder III. As soon as he got back up, he provoked it off me and spammed Power Slash until he died again to Thunder III. We won the fight, but he was doing something like 1200 DPS.

I see this a lot in hunts and 24 man content or even in 8 if I'm not the one tanking, is a bunch of tanks who insist that they HAVE to hold aggro. They also never have the common decency to stand in the same spot, so the thing is doing double takes back and forth, which is never good for positionals or cleaves.

I think it's also no surprise that none of them excel at utilizing their cooldowns to reduce incoming burst damage.

My general rule of thumb when tanking is I don't fight for aggro with other tanks. If they want it, it's theirs. If I play along, all it means is you will have one more tank doing absolute trashcan tier damage and in the case of DRK, not having enough MP to use their primary damage reduction ability.
    These are Savage 1-3 clears I am referencing not normal mode These are tanks who have already cleared O3S. That sad eh? Ironically, in normal mode stuff (haven't done it in over a month) I usually OT with no issues and consistently put up #1 DPS, by a fair margin. It's just scared ass savage tanks

You should have seen my clear last week. OT did 1900 DPS. We still cleared easily because we had a badass 2k dps healer, and 2 DPS knocking on 5k's door and mine in the 3s.

Right now, that's the saving grace about the squadrons; they can be more or less ignored completely, since they aren't needed in order to proceed through the MSQ, nor would I ever expect them to be in the future. They're just not very compelling/interesting, really. I've dabbled with them long enough to get a squad setup with bonuses to MGP, gathering and crafting scrips, and crafter materia, and I only send them out on any missions where I get those guaranteed bonuses due to chemistry/affinity or whatever it's called.

- - - Updated - - -

Told you I would ninja that name, and it's an apt one considering how painful getting the last two wins needed were. Took the better part of 3 hours...

Of course, I've done 2 FL since then and have yet to lose...go figure.
    I only did the squadrons to earn my GC Rank, once I got the rank I essentially forgot they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I only did the squadrons to earn my GC Rank, once I got the rank I essentially forgot they existed.
    I send them out once a week to get that cost reduction to teleporting, since travelling between the mainland and Doma is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Lol yeah, If I accidentally bought a different item I probably would have unsubbed and taken a break. It really wouldn't have impacted me negatively since gear really does fuck all in this game but the premise of this is QoL 101. This should have existed in ARR, let alone SB.

Kudos for teaching people that shirk is important.
    I've had more than one "near-miss" pertaining to item purchases of that nature, but thankfully, I haven't fucked up to that degree. Hoping like hell it's a QoL change we see at some point during this xpac. I 100% agree that it should've been in way back when. But hey, we can have chocobos and minions out simultaneously as of 4.1, so maybe such a change is on the horizon! Equal parts serious and sarcastic there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I send them out once a week to get that cost reduction to teleporting, since travelling between the mainland and Doma is more expensive.
    Aetheryte tickets are the way to go. I haven't paid to teleport in nearly 2 years now. I'd recommend joining some hunt linkshells and hitting up A/S ranks, but even without that, the daily rank 3 hunts + weekly B rank can more than cover you for tickets (even factoring in the few you would use to port to said hunts).

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I have my free destination set as Kugane and some other preferred destinations around the world so I can get across the world for a huge discount if not free. If I need to go from the ARR or HW zones to the Far East I go to Kugane first and teleport from there, so it's ~300-450 gil no matter where in the Far East I'm going. Going the other way I usually got to my FC house first for ~250 gil no matter where from and the from there it's ~300-500 so no more than ~750 gil no matter where I'm going.

Unless it's a hunt call or something like that, then I just eat the 999 gil. Rather be a few hundred gil poorer which I can recoup in minutes than completely miss the hunt mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I lucked out and got 2 or 3 of them to roll nice bonuses their first go 'round; otherwise, had they all rolled stupid shit like "bonus xp when level 50", I would've also forgot they existed.

I lucked out and got 2 or 3 of them to roll nice bonuses their first go 'round; otherwise, had they all rolled stupid shit like "bonus xp when level 50", I would've also forgot they existed.
    I didn't even pay attention to their bonuses. I got a full squad and just ran with it. While simple to do, rerolling and getting new squad mates to try and get the good bonuses was just too much trouble for something I couldn't care less about. I honestly just wanted the GC Rank. Didn't care about the mission rewards at all.

I haven't done normal mode in forever, but I despise co-tanking with most pugs. At least now with DRK, I can default to the MT position easily because I lose virtually nothing by starting as tank, and 1 Dark Arts Power Slash is enough for just about every piece of content that I might pug. The only problem is during swaps when no tank ever wants to use shirk.

My last memory of doing an 8 man pug of Deltascape was O4, and the DRK pulled (I was playing WAR) and stayed in grit. W/e, his loss I figured. I provoked early when he screwed up several mechanics in a row and wound up with a 3 stack of Vuln and a Thunder debuff. Except he stayed in Grit and kept using Power Slash. I let him keep it since he really wanted it, and he died shortly thereafter to the next Thunder III. As soon as he got back up, he provoked it off me and spammed Power Slash until he died again to Thunder III. We won the fight, but he was doing something like 1200 DPS.

I see this a lot in hunts and 24 man content or even in 8 if I'm not the one tanking, is a bunch of tanks who insist that they HAVE to hold aggro. They also never have the common decency to stand in the same spot, so the thing is doing double takes back and forth, which is never good for positionals or cleaves.

I think it's also no surprise that none of them excel at utilizing their cooldowns to reduce incoming burst damage.

My general rule of thumb when tanking is I don't fight for aggro with other tanks. If they want it, it's theirs. If I play along, all it means is you will have one more tank doing absolute trashcan tier damage and in the case of DRK, not having enough MP to use their primary damage reduction ability.
    Could have one like I did for O4 normal this past week; I started as MT and the other tank never provoked off of me until boss was at ~15%...then the guy managed to explode to something. I don't even know what killed him, honestly (T3 without a cd up, maybe?). I took it back and held it to the end. I was easily handling the T3s even with a 2 stack of the debuff, so it wasn't a matter of that so much as it was out of left field when the guy finally decided to provoke and MT...only to end up dead like 20-30 seconds later.

Edit: Pretty sure dude died cause he was standing in/next to a black hole; T3 won't even kill you without cds up unless you're barely over the ilvl to even enter Omega normal.

Regarding hunts, it's all about enmity generation in order to insure getting max credit (and therefore seals/tomes), so I can understand why there are tanks present that go full on derp mode and spam enmity combos until the hunt mob is dead. Course, the best thing to do is simply join a group that's there, then proceed to tank like normal...although now that I think about it, some people may think it's perfectly normal to spam enmity combo on all the things...

These are Savage 1-3 clears I am referencing not normal mode These are tanks who have already cleared O3S. That sad eh? Ironically, in normal mode stuff (haven't done it in over a month) I usually OT with no issues and consistently put up #1 DPS, by a fair margin. It's just scared ass savage tanks

You should have seen my clear last week. OT did 1900 DPS. We still cleared easily because we had a badass 2k dps healer, and 2 DPS knocking on 5k's door and mine in the 3s.
    I am so sorry. That sounds awful. How hard must they have been carried to think that kind of play is acceptable in savage?

The good thing about our MMO is it's not driven that way. The skill flow would be - create skill and then you assign whatever key press you want it on (or combo of keys). I.e. Let's say you created a circular slash move you intended to use as a reposition tool and an AOE moveset. You could assign it to button 4, or you could assign it to A/D + left or right click, etc. As a bonus, you can also name your skills individually. Faroth Cutter!
    Not an MMO, but you might want to check out Mages of Mystralia. The spell system seems kinda fun for the type of game it is. I'm waiting for the physical release as I backed it at that level. I need to install it with my backer code on PC to play around with it a bit.

Searching for Ixion horns in player and retainer inventories...
    11 items found in the 3rd tab of your inventory.
    Total: 11 items found.

I need 12 to trade in for the mount.

I am so sorry. That sounds awful. How hard must they have been carried to think that kind of play is acceptable in savage?
    Haha, #puglife.

It's not that bad as I do enjoy meeting and playing with new people. I've made a few new friends and been asked to join some statics, but I have 0 desire to play 3x-4x a night.

It's just every now and then you get someone that really never should have gotten a clear, and sometimes you get people who don't know how to MT the fight and can only OT it, and I'm like jesus please learn to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Not an MMO, but you might want to check out Mages of Mystralia. The spell system seems kinda fun for the type of game it is. I'm waiting for the physical release as I backed it at that level. I need to install it with my backer code on PC to play around with it a bit.
    Never heard of this. I just checked out a quick video review, and while the guy gave it a bad score, it looked really neat. It looks like a newer alundra (i loved/hated that game) fuck that ice puzzle towards the end that took me WEEKS to figure out as a kid. The spell system definitely seems neat. I'll def check it out if I can pick it up on PS4 for a good price.

I finally managed to complete the Fox FATE in Yanxia. I don't care much for the headband but the achievement and minion are much more to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I finally managed to complete the Fox FATE in Yanxia. I don't care much for the headband but the achievement and minion are much more to my liking.
    I wound up with a bunch of extra tokens and one day I'm going to surprise the FC with foxes all over the house. >=3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I wound up with a bunch of extra tokens and one day I'm going to surprise the FC with foxes all over the house. >=3
    You sound like my FC leader lol. He had a bunch of little foxes all over the house in the early days of stormblood. Now we've got a spoopy art gallery where things pop in and out of existance as I run to my room. xD

Enjoying RDM enough that I'll pick up the 330 weapon next week, which will give me the option of bringing it or BLM as my highest ilvl dps for any sort of progression level content (for me, that is). 320 ilvl on everything else is more than enough for anything that isn't savage raids (which I haven't even done). I had been debating on whether to pick up tank or healer weapon (and then having to narrow that down to one job), but I'll simply opt to get weapons for them (and left side gear upgrades) in 4.1.

There's a few posts circulating on reddit about people complaining that other people are putting logs of them up online and that it is an invasion of privacy.

How do you all feel about it? On one hand, you don't own your character, SE does and that data is all public anyway (combat log) so it's definitely not breaching any privacy (from a legal standpoint), ethically it is certainly up for discussion though.

On another hand, do you really care if a log of you gets put up? Me personally I'm happy because I'm too lazy to do it myself, so it's nice others do it for me even if I'm not aware of it till weeks later lol.

If your logs are good would you care? For instance mine show 80%+ on every fight and the only thing that I'm mad about is that it doesn't say 95%+. I'm a general shit player though.

On the other hand if your logs are bad I can see why maybe you'd be annoyed, but if your goal is savage content (logs are used predominantly for this purpose by a staggering %) you'd be using logs anyway as a means to improve so they still have value. Painful value though perhaps.

If your logs are bad, but you only do low difficulty content (i.e. no EX's, Savage) you likely never use PF, look at logs, or get excluded from content anyway so the values uploaded there have absolutely no value because no one looks at them.

Just curious what players think. Feel free to look yourself up and see if you're on there and share your feelings, concerns, jubilation, etc.

There's a few posts circulating on reddit about people complaining that other people are putting logs of them up online and that it is an invasion of privacy.

How do you all feel about it? On one hand, you don't own your character, SE does and that data is all public anyway (combat log) so it's definitely not breaching any privacy (from a legal standpoint), ethically it is certainly up for discussion though.

On another hand, do you really care if a log of you gets put up? Me personally I'm happy because I'm too lazy to do it myself, so it's nice others do it for me even if I'm not aware of it till weeks later lol.

If your logs are good would you care? For instance mine show 80%+ on every fight and the only thing that I'm mad about is that it doesn't say 95%+. I'm a general shit player though.

On the other hand if your logs are bad I can see why maybe you'd be annoyed, but if your goal is savage content (logs are used predominantly for this purpose by a staggering %) you'd be using logs anyway as a means to improve so they still have value. Painful value though perhaps.

If your logs are bad, but you only do low difficulty content (i.e. no EX's, Savage) you likely never use PF, look at logs, or get excluded from content anyway so the values uploaded there have absolutely no value because no one looks at them.

Just curious what players think. Feel free to look yourself up and see if you're on there and share your feelings, concerns, jubilation, etc.
    My group was just having a laugh about this on our groupme. I especially liked the part where the OP was ranting about how logs cause misinformation about him and the responses were basically "how can it be misinformation if it's true?"

I really like fflogs as it gives a good metric on performance, and figuring out high end play to get those last % (ie looking at cooldown use and buff uptime to figure out when other players are bursting is likely the difference between a high purple parse and a gold parse). I'm no god, but I'm hanging out at 88th percentile overall for savage and 97/95 for when the Ex Trials were a thing, which I'm okay with. Gives me something to work for during a raid tier once we have the clears on lock down.

The whole reddit thread is silly though, as you can just put your character's information as private, and then you won't show any scores.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2017-09-26 at 09:00 PM.

While some people are probably just mad their performance is getting exposed, a lot of people really do feel like their characters are an extension of them. And by sharing your logs without consent, it's kind of like having pictures of you posted all over facebook with out your consent. Would I get mad over it? Not at all. I don't get bent over such minor things. But it's kind of a grey area for some.

I would have to say ethically, logs should only be getting posted for the person personal performance. It's really not your business posting other peoples data, unless it's your static or FC. But ethics arn't rules and people will do what they do.

I would regard it as the same as posting a conversation in party chat. Pretty much everything you point out about logs applies to the chat log as well.

Posting a conversation without anonymizing the participants is generally regarded as rude. Therefore, posting logs without anonymizing the participants would be rude as well.