Thread: British Banter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We call it trash talking.

We don't do the sarcasm thing so we take British sarcasm literally.
    Hang on, trash talking is implicitly intended to highlight genuine disatisfaction right? You wouldn't be happy to find out your wife was trash talking you...

I thought the America equivalent was "roasting" - saying the nastiest shit but with the friendliest of intentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So Finnish people don't joke with each other?
    We don't speak with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    There are more than six time zones.
    Yes; fortunately yo mamma so fat she's only crossing over 6 of them she's not so fat she covers all 24.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I totally agree many Americans 'do sarcasm. I think what non brits struggle with is working out IF a brit is being sarcastic.

On a different note...watching American reactions to a very well spoken (English nationality) colleague who happened to be black.
    That I could see, the accent throws people off possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Hang on, trash talking is implicitly intended to highlight genuine disatisfaction right? You wouldn't be happy to find out your wife was trash talking you...

I thought the America equivalent was "roasting" - saying the nastiest shit but with the friendliest of intentions.
    Yeah, roasting would be more apt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    all 24.
    There are 39, actually.

Deleted
    I can see British people in pubs having a good time together, but when I try to have a conversation with them they often have such thick accents that I cant understand a damn thing they say

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    There are 39, actually.
    Fair cop One might wonder why

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I can see British people in pubs having a good time together, but when I try to have a conversation with them they often have such thick accents that I cant understand a damn thing they say
    Pardon ? .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Pardon ? .
    And dont forget the British slang

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    We do.

There's more to joking than "yo momma...".
    Yo momma isn't really much banter

I guess American's just aren't good at it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    And dont forget the British slang

Every nation has slang, though a lot of English regional slang has quite a bit of history

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware every nation has banter but there's varying degree in banter and I often see significant differences between say British banter and American banter

My experience with English banter across numerous multinational discussion boards is they claim to be experts at it, but all you have to do is poke fun at their janky orthodontry or that slop they eat that can loosely be referred to as cuisine and the indignant "U FOOKIN' WOT?" responses start rolling in.

I can think of a lot of nationalities that are good at talking shit, but not many that are good at taking it (despite what they claim).
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2017-10-21 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    My experience with English banter across numerous multinational discussion boards is they claim to be experts at it, but all you have to do is poke fun at their janky orthodontry or that slop they eat that can loosely be refered to as cuisine and the indignant "U FOOKIN' WOT?" responses start rolling in.

I can think of a lot of nationalities that are good at talking shit, but not many that are good at taking it (despite what they claim).
    It's not that we can't take banter it's just we're very critical of lazy banter. The "bad teeth bad food" jibe was funny 40 years ago but now it's just poor because there's no longer any element of truth in it. Much like the word 'limey' is obscure to is. It would be like us called Americans 'Indian rapers' it just isn't true now

i love friendly piss talking ! Huzzah !!

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It's not that we can't take banter it's just we're very critical of lazy banter. The "bad teeth bad food" jibe was funny 40 years ago but now it's just poor because there's no longer any element of truth in it. Much like the word 'limey' is obscure to is. It would be like us called Americans 'Indian rapers' it just isn't true now
    Yeah pretty much this. I've found it the opposite aswell. If i banter with an American over their stereotypes they get distressed and defensive. I even admit that i could of done better and was being lazy. Stereotype banter is just lazy and rarely funny if not done very well or with a good setup.

When I've had new people join my guild on wow, about 90% of them think im aggressive, nasty and rude. Purely because of the way i banter with others and they dont understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    stop hiding behind your shite patter with "it's just a bit of banter"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    stop hiding behind your shite patter with "it's just a bit of banter"
    Banter is between friends, if you're doing it with strangers you're bordering on insulting

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

We call it trash talking.

We don't do the sarcasm thing so we take British sarcasm literally.
    This guy is awesome. Thanks for linking!
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I can mostly tell if it's friendly or not, but sometimes differences in sense of humour makes it tough.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?