Poll: What do you prefer?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    This is a problem with all RPG ever. Even paper and pen one. Once you hit some level, it feels kinda idiotic to fight skeleton, kobold, wild dogs and so on. That's why Game masters (or Blizzard in this case) have to: set lowly enemy at our power level, risulting in some strange feeling (i killed a fel-guard alone on Argus but i can die from 10 murloc in new expac); or give us even bigger threath every time (also this can feel a bit too much forced).

Sadly it's something you cannot avoid. Specially now in WoW. You cuold only "reset" this with a time-lapse: for example, we deal with Sargeras, we skip 1000 years later and we are a new Hero, maybe the son of the son of the son of our native character.

To be honest, i don't see a lot of problem in WoW, because i simply don't think that we, as players, are Gods, we are simply one of the most skilled rapresentative of our class. But still, we only defeat big threat with: 1) Powerful Weapon; 2) Powerful Object; 3) Powerful allies; 4) And, least but not last, we fight with all other most skilled players from all classes. We raid with the best Priest, best Warrior, best Monk etc etc...

Only with this combined forces we are able to do something.

Meanwhile, in paper and pen D&D, you have insane OP combo that can utterly destroy everything, specially Game Master sanity XD

Since we're dealing with cosmic threats, I think we should deal with space pirate-kingdoms.

The smaller fights most of the time are more enjoyable for me but sometimes I like something somewhere in the middle.

Both, they're not mutually exclusive.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer a build up through an expansion, where you start killing off smaller threats, to eventually kill off the BIG threat. If you look at how Legion went, I think Blizz did a pretty good job of doing exactly that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    “Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    But eventually, even the small Hobbit ventured into the maw of Mount Doom, battled to death against armies of Orcs, defeated ancient Wizard and mighty Beasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like fighting the guys in the middle. Where they're not exactly small time but not powerful enough to be like "I'm going to destroy the world!!!". I like those villains who don't seem to be a waste of time and are interesting enough to pursue. The Lich King and his Scourge army is a good example. He wasn't some demon god or anything he was just a normal paladin turned death knight who raises the dead. He was a more grounded villain which in a way felt more threatening than villains like the Legion.

Hopefully after Legion we'll have more villains like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
    Considering what now WoW took Light vs Shadow path of story progression with edgy and dramatic idiots like Illidan i would prefer small locale outlaws/threats.

Defias Brotherhood probably was one of the best story in Vanilla. Its not surprising what that story motivated people to create something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7ehxyYRQc

Story of Stalvan Mistmantle who followed his lust that led him into damnation also was great! Or story of Morgan Ladimore.

To be honest these small stories have more impact and deep than all this cosmic Light vs Shadow bullshit.
    Thank you for that video : )

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Thank you for that video : )
    Oh i through it was pretty popular video among WoW community. The song is great and give so many nostalgia tears.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be refreshing if the next expansion will be vs "small time outlaws". I obviously only speak for myself but I would like it a lot. no more Gods, supermega immortal villains etc.

Every expansion should have one tier that is about some side threat just like lei shen was for pandaria and every expansion should have 3 tiers.

Our ~side threat~ of this expansion was emerald nightmare and helya. and then we got nighthold, tomb and argus as main threat.

The formula is correct but the ~side threats~ of this expansion is meh, xavius had a potential but emerald nightmare raid was meh in general, mainly because emerald nightmare wasnt made to be a tier, if blizzard focused emerald dream and TOV as an entire tier, with a better story building and bosses it could be as good as throne of thunder is, the problem would be how they would fit nighthold + tomb + antorus in 2 tiers ( Or make a 4 tier expansion )
    Last edited by blackops2008; 2017-09-25 at 04:37 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would like a nice mellow expansion about something that isnt the product of incessant spectacle creep. It would be nice to have an expac where there wasnt some Armageddon hanging just over the horizon.

First we save our faction.
    Then we save our world.
    Then we save someone elses world.
    Then we save all of creation.

Whats next? Blizzard has no place left to go unless they introduce the Multiverse. Then well have to save all the universes. At some point the story either has to end or the story has to be rebooted so we start anew.

small time outlaws by far
    i never considered my character in game to be this all powerful being, i much preferred being an adventurer, and not the savior

I voted for big threats because small time outlaw quests are the type to easily fall into you're captured and being raped erp developer designs and that's disgusting there's already too much of that.

I am up for anything as long as they build up the story properly and in an interesting manner. The length and historical importance of that story has a much more minor impact. More recently, Chromie's challenge was a good example for a succesful implementation in my opinion. It was short, seemingly insignificant, yet very enjoyable. (Although those events will probably turn out to be quite significant in near future.)

In terms of raids, I believe 10 man raids of troll capitals and Karazhan was close to such experience. I would really like to see some sort of return to that form, more off-story raids scattered around the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    I voted for big threats because small time outlaw quests are the type to easily fall into you're captured and being raped erp developer designs and that's disgusting there's already too much of that.
    Hahahaha what!?

Always a good mix. Focussing to much on one gets boring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Both, but neither is the problem.

The problem with WoW villains is that they are all carbon copies

1. They all hate you because they hate all mortals
    2. They routinely call you 'mortal filth'
    3. They all don't just want your destruction, but EVERYTHINGS destruction. The entire universe.
    4. They all die with the line "this is not over" or "fools, you dont know what you're doing!" or some other bullshit.

The villains are not interesting.

Not every villain has to be immortal. Not every villain has to hate all mortals. Not every villain has to want the destruction of the universe. Not all villains have to die by telling us we're idiots and just made a big mistake.

But hey, we're talking about Blizzard writers.
    This. It's like a disney movie, fucking embarrassing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like a good mix of both. I feel having a "big bad" is good for expansion wide story lines, but I like dungeons that tell smaller stories within them. Especially when the lore for the dungeon is set up well in the zone leading up to it.