Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How to respectfully turn down overtures for friendship?

I'm a guy. There's another guy in my sphere who's making overtures towards friendship to me. I consider that a compliment. I have nothing against him but he's not all there mentally or emotionally or something. How do I turn him down respectfully?

"Hey Joe, I appreciate your overtures and I'm complimented but you're just not all there mentally or emotionally or something and I want to avoid that kind of a burden in a personal relationship." No. Too harsh and that's how girls talk.

"Hey Joe, you're not all there dude. I can't hang out with you." Too blunt. Mean. How can I look him in the eye again?

I can lie but that's ugly because we both know I'm lying and it's somehow worse than being blunt. I don't want to be a goddamn liar. Besides he might want to show persistence and ignore the hint.

How to directly reject without disrespect. What a pickle.

What does overture mean in regards to social?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does anything need to be said?
    Just don’t hang out or communicate with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why does anything need to be said?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Make it super awkward and he will stop. Like, sit down next to him and put your hand on his knee and ask him how he is doing.
    .....and witness the tactic backfire hard time.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Make it super awkward and he will stop. Like, sit down next to him and put your hand on his knee and ask him how he is doing.
    Judging by the fact that the OP even made this thread, I think he already has being socially awkward on lock.

"I.. love you, Joe."

Either he stops; Or the situation gets incredibly entertaining and, if the latter occurs, I expect an update on this very thread.

Start talking to him about your theories on GMO foods and Monsanto. Or was it chemtrails. I forget, was a while ago now.

Eitherways go look at your posts from however long ago it was and try to repurpose them into your conversations with him and I'm sure you'll solve this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Start talking to him about your theories on GMO foods and Monsanto. Or was it chemtrails. I forget, was a while ago now.

Eitherways go look at your posts from however long ago it was and try to repurpose them into your conversations with him and I'm sure you'll solve this issue.
    Eat corn bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Joe you are a swell guy but I am not interested in developing any kind of relationship with you outside of the one we share right now. That seems pretty simple, if you are worried about him asking why, just tell him that is all the further you are going into specifics and then move on.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

When you guys are standing around casually pull out your dick and place it in his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    The "Another Guy" is trying to become the OP's friend. Overtures are a fancy way of saying "friend attempts".

To the OP, don't say anything, just cut communication. If the other guy presses, tell him you don't want to be his friend.
    This looks like a consensus answer. I'm not a say-nothing leave-people-hanging type of person but that's probably the best way.

Edit: this actually helps thx mmo community, mostly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    When you guys are standing around casually pull out your dick and place it in his hand.
    Really dude, and how the fuck far are you going to go to sell that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swineflu View Post
    This looks like a consensus answer. I'm not a say-nothing leave-people-hanging type of person but that's probably the best way.

Edit: this actually helps thx mmo community, mostly.
    It’s not that it’s even the best way (which would be outright stating it), but this is the most appropriate given your shared aocial circle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Offer to suck his cock but make it clear you use your teeth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Offer to suck his cock but make it clear you use your teeth.
    Well and if he turns you down, then not only is that awkward, but even though you were only kidding, that has to be a pretty big shot to the ego right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard 'overture' used like that, but I'm guessing that said guy wants to be more than friends? Just say, I like you, but you aren't my type. In general, make it sound final. Just stay away from 'I'm not looking for someone right now' or anything like that. Its amazing how far one's heart will bend itself to make them believe they might have a shot.

Challenge him to a duel by tumynsticks.

Make a suicide pact with him and then back out at the last second.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Kill him; eat his heart; consume his flesh. Only then will you gain the power that you seek.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.