Poll: Do you like spaceships and sci-fi in WoW?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I didn't like the whole sci-fi paraphernalia in BC, but at least back then it was quite subtler than it is now. Heavy machinery in Ulduar and outside ICC was already a stretch imo, but now it's just silly. I am fully expecting to see Captain Picard as a questgiver one of these days...
    We have Captain Turalyon.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    No I don't feel it fits the theme of the lore with orcs, night elves and such. It's like watching Lord of the Rings and suddenly a spaceship comes and takes the ring.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRacoon View Post
    No I don't feel it fits the theme of the lore with orcs, night elves and such. It's like watching Lord of the Rings and suddenly a spaceship comes and takes the ring.
    Elves and orcs in space is no problem at all though, Warhammer has done it for what, 30 years or something. Though I suppose that franchise is Science (High) Fantasy, and not science fiction.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.
    Spaceships are cool.
    Spaceships in fantasy are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GenjiNumeroUno View Post
    It definitely didn't feel like that. Perception is everything.
    are you kidding?

3 dungeons and 1 raid was a spaceship

wow has always been high fantasy since TBC, get over it.

Personal opinion

Hate them and I also hate all the big death lasers and such. Beyond not liking sci-fi stuff I really wonder why they have all this tech and then send their demons with swords etc.

Seems like they should just be able to bombard Azeroth and any of our positions from the sky.

I'm not against otherworldly beings having the ability to move through space and time but doing so via an arsenal of ships just seems off.

I like it, probably because I love sci-fi, but these ships are done in a more fantasy way, they look more like moving homes and light-infused crystals and shit, rather than proper spaceships with hyperdrive and faster-than-light travel, so I think it's completely fine.

I would definitely be slightly bored and annoyed if we used portals only to travel to other worlds in the future or something like that. Or if Legion arrived here only if a corrupted mage opened up a portal for them. And yes, while seeing 100 spaceships in the sky seems weird and out of place, it also physically shows the might of the Burning Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC had spaceships too this isn't new

Warcraft has sort of become high fantasy rather than just fantasy and feel they have been so since Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3. In Warcraft 3 they had steam tanks, guns, flying machines and floating Necropolis's's's* Necropolias* (*what the hell is plural for necropolis? :P ).

So anyway, yes, Always been there its just delving deeper into that, I honestly don't mind it. I like high fantasy too. And I always liked that about WoW that it has never been typical fantasy outside of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-09-27 at 02:09 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

As others have stated it's pretty much ten years to late to complain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I didn't like the whole sci-fi paraphernalia in BC, but at least back then it was quite subtler than it is now. Heavy machinery in Ulduar and outside ICC was already a stretch imo, but now it's just silly. I am fully expecting to see Captain Picard as a questgiver one of these days...
    LMAO -- Getting some funny looks in the office.

Laughed way louder than I should have. xD

Personally I'd like wow to go back to being more swords and sorcery type game. Adventure. More like lord of the rings, how it started out. Not spaceships...

With the tech they have now, it could be epic! Not sure if it's what alot of people would want that nowadays though, since it's all been done before.
    Last edited by whywhatwhowhenhow; 2017-09-27 at 02:15 PM.

We have had space stuff from previous expansions. Doesn't really bother me much if there is more of a focus on it now due to legion.

At the end of the day its world of WARcraft not world of MEDIEVALcraft!

We have had spaceship stuff since TBC after all did you not visit netherstorm?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    Personal opinion

Hate them and I also hate all the big death lasers and such. Beyond not liking sci-fi stuff I really wonder why they have all this tech and then send their demons with swords etc.

Seems like they should just be able to bombard Azeroth and any of our positions from the sky.

I'm not against otherworldly beings having the ability to move through space and time but doing so via an arsenal of ships just seems off.
    I agree. I prefer it without spaceships, lasers and sci-fi stuff. But if they really felt like they had to implement so much of it, they could at least have done it in a way that made sense. The Legion their tech is just so useless. How bad does your assault ships have to be that infantry troops with swords are still your main means of attack? Also, why are they so easily teleported to? Guess the advanced magic of using wards is beyond the Legion. But what do you expect from an army that just uses their spaceships to summon reinforcements on the broken shore... where they have a massive portal.... where they are already in control of. Instead of using it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    TBC had spaceships too this isn't new

Warcraft has sort of become high fantasy rather than just fantasy and feel they have been so since Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3. In Warcraft 3 they had steam tanks, guns, flying machines and floating Necropolis's's's* Necropolias* (*what the hell is plural for necropolis? :P ).

So anyway, yes, Always been there its just delving deeper into that, I honestly don't mind it. I like high fantasy too. And I always liked that about WoW that it has never been typical fantasy outside of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans

While TBC had spaceships, it was never in the foreground. The problem is now the Legion has all this tech and doesn't know how to use it, making it just silly looking that it's even there in the first place.

Also Warcraft was always High fantasy. High and Low fantasy mostly refer to the World it is set in.
    Last edited by mmoc2c2eb13044; 2017-09-27 at 02:27 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not a fan of it at all. I've come to associate the Burning Legion with Sci-fi rather than just a terrifying army of Demonic fantasy creatures.

Can't say I like it, no. It's not a massive deal, and I'd expect it to mostly disappear after Legion(at least for a while), though.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Started going downhill after we stopped fighting things like dragons and started fighting sith lords.

I think there's a vast difference between something that feels like a relic from some mysterious race (Na'aru) and having the sky filled with space ships and actual, active space tech. The Legion having a fleet of ships feels awkward, and leads to questions like: Why wait 10.000 years between the two invasions when all you have to do is take your immortal army and zerg the shite out of them in your space ships? Resources shouldn't be an issue for someone who is a) immortal and b) have conquerered thousands of planets. We're talking about invading a world filled primarily with sword-wielders here, using space ships with fel cannons. It's like the Borg taking on Rivendell or something.

i love it. i love the blending of scifi and fantasy.

you're a loser if you don't~

Voted I don't care, because I don't care. I don't see the big deal with them, but they aren't something I need to have in the game.