It's no more (and in many ways, far less) intrusive than Armory on WoW or Lodestone. I can pull up your character, what mounts/minions you have, what gear you have and how you have melded, and in WoW's case, what drops you are getting, what you have achieved, and what you have cleared.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't see people clamoring to be hidden there.

I feel like a lot of the griping I have seen (and this reddit thread was honestly the first real instance of it that I've taken note of) - and OP of that thread is a perfect example - is people who don't parse and don't participate in content that the majority of people even parse are somehow upset that a site that they would otherwise not use has maybe 1-2 parses of them that are likely not favorable uploaded from some random person who likely forgot to turn off live logging, because let's be honest, who parses normal content?
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2017-09-26 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    There's a few posts circulating on reddit about people complaining that other people are putting logs of them up online and that it is an invasion of privacy.

How do you all feel about it? On one hand, you don't own your character, SE does and that data is all public anyway (combat log) so it's definitely not breaching any privacy (from a legal standpoint), ethically it is certainly up for discussion though.

On another hand, do you really care if a log of you gets put up? Me personally I'm happy because I'm too lazy to do it myself, so it's nice others do it for me even if I'm not aware of it till weeks later lol.

If your logs are good would you care? For instance mine show 80%+ on every fight and the only thing that I'm mad about is that it doesn't say 95%+. I'm a general shit player though.

On the other hand if your logs are bad I can see why maybe you'd be annoyed, but if your goal is savage content (logs are used predominantly for this purpose by a staggering %) you'd be using logs anyway as a means to improve so they still have value. Painful value though perhaps.

If your logs are bad, but you only do low difficulty content (i.e. no EX's, Savage) you likely never use PF, look at logs, or get excluded from content anyway so the values uploaded there have absolutely no value because no one looks at them.

Just curious what players think. Feel free to look yourself up and see if you're on there and share your feelings, concerns, jubilation, etc.
    Seeing that I believe I play competently well, I have no issue if I happen to be on someone else's FFLog parse. I mean...what's going to happen, exactly? If you start getting some random weirdo sending you tells calling you a shitter because of a parse they found/uploaded...it won't be the "shitter" getting banned.

Even if I lack confidence at any point (such as yesterday when first fiddling with Verholy/Verflare for the first time), I really don't give a shit. On that sidenote (RDM), I basically use hunt mobs as my target dummies to see if I have half a clue what I'm doing, and with some keybind adjustments and a couple of meld swaps, I'll be able to put up reasonable numbers as a RDM. Definitely want to get the Allagan weapon so I can shed some of this spell speed (I have more SS on RDM than BLM, QQ).

As someone who raided at fairly high level for years in WoW and someone who still cares about putting their best foot forward, I'm all for having tools like FFLogs and ACT at our disposal. I'm of the mindset that the fears the devs have here concerning player toxicity/numbershaming/whatever are somewhat unfounded...although yes, I have seen more than plenty of trash talk over dps output in my years playing WoW, and I do believe if such meters were given the thumbs up by the dev team, such behavior would probably show up in this game. To what extent, who knows? I don't despise the dev team for their stance on the subject; I can see their point, and seeing that I continue to play the game, that should speak volumes to how indifferent I am about it. If they're cool with me running it and only sharing that info with someone via VoIP (I'll inform friends if someone's doing particularly well or bad), then I'll continue to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    While some people are probably just mad their performance is getting exposed, a lot of people really do feel like their characters are an extension of them. And by sharing your logs without consent, it's kind of like having pictures of you posted all over facebook with out your consent. Would I get mad over it? Not at all. I don't get bent over such minor things. But it's kind of a grey area for some.

I would have to say ethically, logs should only be getting posted for the person personal performance. It's really not your business posting other peoples data, unless it's your static or FC. But ethics arn't rules and people will do what they do.
    To borrow your analogy, it's akin to being in the background at a concert while some other person is taking a selfie. Something to that effect.

I think you have a good rule of thumb regarding it; FC/static groups sharing that info publicly is great, but posting log after log of results from random PF groups...maybe not so much, especially if it's a group where your own personal performance is diminished by someone being a baddie.

I can understand FF players getting shirty over logs of their performance being posted since it's akin to the whole issue over DPS meters and why so many are vehemently against them. Personally I have no dog in the fight since that's not my style of content to begin with, but I do feel you shouldn't post that kind of thing without someone's consent. IMO it's different from chat logs, since you can control what you say in chat. You have no control over your DPS information being relayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I wound up with a bunch of extra tokens and one day I'm going to surprise the FC with foxes all over the house. >=3
    I'll have to do something like that, too, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a few posts circulating on reddit about people complaining that other people are putting logs of them up online and that it is an invasion of privacy.

How do you all feel about it? On one hand, you don't own your character, SE does and that data is all public anyway (combat log) so it's definitely not breaching any privacy (from a legal standpoint), ethically it is certainly up for discussion though.

On another hand, do you really care if a log of you gets put up? Me personally I'm happy because I'm too lazy to do it myself, so it's nice others do it for me even if I'm not aware of it till weeks later lol.

If your logs are good would you care? For instance mine show 80%+ on every fight and the only thing that I'm mad about is that it doesn't say 95%+. I'm a general shit player though.

On the other hand if your logs are bad I can see why maybe you'd be annoyed, but if your goal is savage content (logs are used predominantly for this purpose by a staggering %) you'd be using logs anyway as a means to improve so they still have value. Painful value though perhaps.

If your logs are bad, but you only do low difficulty content (i.e. no EX's, Savage) you likely never use PF, look at logs, or get excluded from content anyway so the values uploaded there have absolutely no value because no one looks at them.

Just curious what players think. Feel free to look yourself up and see if you're on there and share your feelings, concerns, jubilation, etc.
    Bwahaha, thanks for the morning laugh.
    Baddies raging against logs due to privacy issues.
    Lodestone already makes your character public. I see no reason at all to fuss about logs.

Personally, as a healer, my performance varies heavily, depending on how aggressive my co-healer is. I'm generally not a percon that forces things, if he wants to heal like a whackjob, so be it. I'm over here throwing stones, ready to intervene in an emergency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    IMO it's different from chat logs, since you can control what you say in chat. You have no control over your DPS information being relayed.
    You can control how much DPS you do though. *chuckles*
    If you perform well, there is nothing to hide. If you are a shit player, you deserve to be embarrassed.

There's an option to hide yourself from the public on there right? If you really care then go hide it rofl.

I will say though that I'm not the biggest fan of some random pug uploading it on there. From my personal experience I've seen some really derpy groups and your % just plummets because you cant play optimally. Though I guess in the long run it still shows your best which is really all that matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If you are a shit player, you deserve to be embarrassed.
    No, in most cases you really don't. But some people are always itching to judge others on their worst mistakes and themselves by their best intentions.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, in most cases you really don't. But some people are always itching to judge others on their worst mistakes and themselves by their best intentions.
    A good player that makes mistakes knows how to handle them. Hell I have SHIT runs when I am tired etc, to the point that I diss myself in vent. I still don't mind them being logged. It happens to all of us.
    It's really the "I don'T want to improve" crowd that has a problem with meters and constructive! feedback. (I agree that flaming people is dumb and achieves nothing)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I've seen some really derpy groups and your % just plummets because you cant play optimally.
    Everybody worth their salt considers that and other factors when they analyze logs.
    As a spriest I often had "meh" damage b/c raiddamage overall was meh and the fights dragged on too long.

Also, I'm not sure whether FFlogs even takes itemlevel into account, so don't get too hung up on those %.

Looks like my character is only registered in some Weeping City logs. I don't really care. The recorded performance isn't great, but is that because I was playing poorly, having an off night when they were recorded, or was it one of the most fun nights I've ever had because despite being in combat, the whole Alliance was wise cracking and making jokes mid-combat? No clue and, truthfully, don't care.

I'd possibly have more of an opinion if you couldn't opt out of appearing on there. But you can, so meh.

- - - Updated - - -

A good player that makes mistakes knows how to handle them. Hell I have SHIT runs when I am tired etc, to the point that I diss myself in vent. I still don't mind them being logged. It happens to all of us.
    It's really the "I don'T want to improve" crowd that has a problem with meters and constructive! feedback. (I agree that flaming people is dumb and achieves nothing)

- - - Updated - - -

Everybody worth their salt considers that and other factors when they analyze logs.
    As a spriest I often had "meh" damage b/c raiddamage overall was meh and the fights dragged on too long.

Also, I'm not sure whether FFlogs even takes itemlevel into account, so don't get too hung up on those %.
    I remember during the Gruul/Magtheridon period of TBC, ol' Faroth here was lower on the DPS charts, but my raid loved me. Survival wasn't considered the "optimal" raid hunter at the time, but having 1 survival was great because of the "increase all DPS" debuff they applied on the enemy for basically entire fights. It was sort of a "sacrifice your standing on the charts to the benefit of everyone else" sorta thing.

So yeah, definitely more to raid performance than a single DPS' personal performance. As Dark Legacy once noted, don't tunnel vision so you're "winning on threat, winning on threat!"

So, I'm really bad at leveling in this game after the first job uses up all the msq quests. What is the generally accepted optimal leveling method 61-70. Is pvp still the best xp? Chain running the last dungeon available? This is probably the on thing I miss in WoW, you can just chain the quest lines and level easy without needing a group.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    My group was just having a laugh about this on our groupme. I especially liked the part where the OP was ranting about how logs cause misinformation about him and the responses were basically "how can it be misinformation if it's true?"

I really like fflogs as it gives a good metric on performance, and figuring out high end play to get those last % (ie looking at cooldown use and buff uptime to figure out when other players are bursting is likely the difference between a high purple parse and a gold parse). I'm no god, but I'm hanging out at 88th percentile overall for savage and 97/95 for when the Ex Trials were a thing, which I'm okay with. Gives me something to work for during a raid tier once we have the clears on lock down.

The whole reddit thread is silly though, as you can just put your character's information as private, and then you won't show any scores.
    I don't remember if it was this post or the other one (there were 2) and the top rated comment was someone linking a RDM guide and saying you're welcome. Shit had me rolling on the floor. It seems the general reddit community agreed with him too.

While some people are probably just mad their performance is getting exposed, a lot of people really do feel like their characters are an extension of them. And by sharing your logs without consent, it's kind of like having pictures of you posted all over facebook with out your consent. Would I get mad over it? Not at all. I don't get bent over such minor things. But it's kind of a grey area for some.

I would have to say ethically, logs should only be getting posted for the person personal performance. It's really not your business posting other peoples data, unless it's your static or FC. But ethics arn't rules and people will do what they do.
    Others mentioned that your character info is already widely available in another database. The official one that is public. So taking that into account, the only other non-accounted for variable that I can see is performance metrics, which supports my personal opinion on the subject which is below.

This topic can be broken down into 3 types of people:

1) Good players who simply don't care.

2) Bad players who do care because they're being held accountable for their performance when they previously weren't.

3) Bad players who don't care because they don't participate in said content that is frequently measured/exclusionary by nature.

Is there any other archetype that you can think of? If someone takes a picture and I'm in the background I don't own that picture or have any rights to it (please correct me if I am wrong). I see this as quite possibly one of the most direct analogies.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I would regard it as the same as posting a conversation in party chat. Pretty much everything you point out about logs applies to the chat log as well.

Posting a conversation without anonymizing the participants is generally regarded as rude. Therefore, posting logs without anonymizing the participants would be rude as well.
    ON one hand I don't think it's quite the same, but I can see your point. On the other hand, I always follow the rule treat others as you want to be treated, and I literally would not care if someone posted a chat log about me and didn't blank out my name. I think the issue you're getting at is moreso relevant if the context is negative. I.e. Jimmy had a fun convo with a GM, but he didn't blank out the GM name. Why did the community not ban him/roast him? The reason is because the context was positive. On the flip-side if Jimmy was trash talking a RDM who was not AOEing, and didn't blank out the names he'd likely see repercussions due to the negative context.

Logs are not biased. They merely show data and it is up to the user to interpret it (a user can have bias though). Therefore I see little reason to "blank it out" since the data itself is not negatively con-notated.

Would you agree with this?

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    It's no more (and in many ways, far less) intrusive than Armory on WoW or Lodestone. I can pull up your character, what mounts/minions you have, what gear you have and how you have melded, and in WoW's case, what drops you are getting, what you have achieved, and what you have cleared.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't see people clamoring to be hidden there.

I feel like a lot of the griping I have seen (and this reddit thread was honestly the first real instance of it that I've taken note of) - and OP of that thread is a perfect example - is people who don't parse and don't participate in content that the majority of people even parse are somehow upset that a site that they would otherwise not use has maybe 1-2 parses of them that are likely not favorable uploaded from some random person who likely forgot to turn off live logging, because let's be honest, who parses normal content?
    Agreed. I think this follow what I said to Resiak. It's that there are 3 types of people. People who are good and don't care. People who are bad and do care, and lastly people who are bad and don't care because they don't participate in exclusionary content.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Seeing that I believe I play competently well, I have no issue if I happen to be on someone else's FFLog parse. I mean...what's going to happen, exactly? If you start getting some random weirdo sending you tells calling you a shitter because of a parse they found/uploaded...it won't be the "shitter" getting banned
    This is also a good point. If there's ever an actual harassment situation that arises, it's easily solved by reporting.

I think you have a good rule of thumb regarding it; FC/static groups sharing that info publicly is great, but posting log after log of results from random PF groups...maybe not so much, especially if it's a group where your own personal performance is diminished by someone being a baddie.
    The good news is that logs always put your best foot forward by showing your best overall parse and don't diminish based on time (they do if you go into the specific log and review yourself, but it snapshots the history on the overview). The other good news is that if your performance is truly annihilated due to other players, it's super easy to identify that in logs. I.e. my one O3S kill. I died and it put me down to 2900 dps from like 3300. I died because I sat at 30% HP for ~10 seconds before finally dying. It's super easy to check the death recap and see there were no incoming heals for roughly 10s other than a regen. At that point an interested party could look into what both healers were currently doing to determine cause.

IMO it's different from chat logs, since you can control what you say in chat. You have no control over your DPS information being relayed.
    Your logs say more than any words ever will. Every competent raid leader knows this.

Bwahaha, thanks for the morning laugh.
    Baddies raging against logs due to privacy issues.
    Lodestone already makes your character public. I see no reason at all to fuss about logs.

Personally, as a healer, my performance varies heavily, depending on how aggressive my co-healer is. I'm generally not a percon that forces things, if he wants to heal like a whackjob, so be it. I'm over here throwing stones, ready to intervene in an emergency.

You can control how much DPS you do though. *chuckles*
    If you perform well, there is nothing to hide. If you are a shit player, you deserve to be embarrassed.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    There's an option to hide yourself from the public on there right? If you really care then go hide it rofl.

I will say though that I'm not the biggest fan of some random pug uploading it on there. From my personal experience I've seen some really derpy groups and your % just plummets because you cant play optimally. Though I guess in the long run it still shows your best which is really all that matters?
    Correct. Since it shows best up front and highlighted, bad runs don't matter significantly as much as people think. I actually suspect most people who are complaining don't even realize or understand that. Then again, they think 30th% is ok so there's that.

Looks like my character is only registered in some Weeping City logs. I don't really care. The recorded performance isn't great, but is that because I was playing poorly, having an off night when they were recorded, or was it one of the most fun nights I've ever had because despite being in combat, the whole Alliance was wise cracking and making jokes mid-combat? No clue and, truthfully, don't care.

I'd possibly have more of an opinion if you couldn't opt out of appearing on there. But you can, so meh.
    So out of the 3 camps I listed it's pretty safe to say you're either a good player who doesn't care, or a bad player who doesn't participate in exclusionary content, and thus doesn't care what a website that you never check or care about shows.

Out of the 3 archetypes I listed do you believe they to be fairly accurate? Am I missing any in your opinion? (See above to either Resiak or Casualty to see the archetypes.

Also quick aside- I just saw that Royal Menagerie is going to be tailored to O3S difficulty. I quite like that a lot as I feel that's the currently difficulty the game needs more of.

Others mentioned that your character info is already widely available in another database. The official one that is public. So taking that into account, the only other non-accounted for variable that I can see is performance metrics, which supports my personal opinion on the subject which is below.

This topic can be broken down into 3 types of people:

1) Good players who simply don't care.

2) Bad players who do care because they're being held accountable for their performance when they previously weren't.

3) Bad players who don't care because they don't participate in said content that is frequently measured/exclusionary by nature.

Is there any other archetype that you can think of? If someone takes a picture and I'm in the background I don't own that picture or have any rights to it (please correct me if I am wrong). I see this as quite possibly one of the most direct analogies.
    Well, maybe one. There is a subset that feels their character is theres and take offense to people posting info on their character without consent. Is this a wrong sentiment to have? Possibly. But their out there.

In FF11, I remember there was an issue where JP players didn't like American players. They felt American players where rude. One of the reasons? When you inspected a player, it gave that player a message that they where being inspected. So for the Japanese, you should always send a message asking if you could inspect. Most American players of course didn't do this. Kind of weird and petty? Yes, but it was a thing.

I would say your types are accurate, minus that one slightly odd offset of people. I think i'd fall in between 1 and three. I'm not the greatest, but I'm not neccessarily bad. I learn my rotation, generally am reliable in staying out of the bad. I'll usually be the top dps in 4 mans, and in the top 2 for 8 mans unless seriously out geared. If i'm healing, I don't usually miss heals, and add a fair amount of damage. But I don't study openers, don't usually carry consumables for increased dps except food. But I also don't care about savage, so I'm fine for my preferred content.

So, I'm really bad at leveling in this game after the first job uses up all the msq quests. What is the generally accepted optimal leveling method 61-70. Is pvp still the best xp? Chain running the last dungeon available? This is probably the on thing I miss in WoW, you can just chain the quest lines and level easy without needing a group.
    Tank and healer jobs have it made, for they can simply spam run dungeons from 61-70, starting with Sirensong Sea.

Roulettes are almost always a must; 50/60, Leveling (whoa, whodathunkdat), trial, and even MS Roulette grant a healthy chunk of bonus xp.

PVP can work as well; I acutally did 90% of my leveling for AST by spamming Shatter. If you're going to go that route, though, you can also work on the anima light bonus and/or the Garo/Makai event stuff. I've gotten all of the Garo/Makai rewards (minus the mount from 30 Feast wins) and completed the AST anima in addition to having that job at 70. I simply enjoy the whole "multiple birds, one stone" aspect of it; if you don't care for any of that, that's fine too. PVPing specifically to level will be a bit slow, though, but it beats waiting in queue for dungeons (if you're on a dps job at least).

Tank and healer jobs have it made, for they can simply spam run dungeons from 61-70, starting with Sirensong Sea.

Roulettes are almost always a must; 50/60, Leveling (whoa, whodathunkdat), trial, and even MS Roulette grant a healthy chunk of bonus xp.

PVP can work as well; I acutally did 90% of my leveling for AST by spamming Shatter. If you're going to go that route, though, you can also work on the anima light bonus and/or the Garo/Makai event stuff. I've gotten all of the Garo/Makai rewards (minus the mount from 30 Feast wins) and completed the AST anima in addition to having that job at 70. I simply enjoy the whole "multiple birds, one stone" aspect of it; if you don't care for any of that, that's fine too. PVPing specifically to level will be a bit slow, though, but it beats waiting in queue for dungeons (if you're on a dps job at least).
    Thank you. Yeah i thought the roulettes where pretty much a given. I try to mix in those as much as possible. I'm working RDM atm. I think I'll just go the dungeon grind method, while doing clan marks during queue times. I wish there was a decent solo option for leveling. I just prefer leveling on my own, then doing group content for end game for some reason.

The good news is that logs always put your best foot forward by showing your best overall parse and don't diminish based on time (they do if you go into the specific log and review yourself, but it snapshots the history on the overview). The other good news is that if your performance is truly annihilated due to other players, it's super easy to identify that in logs. I.e. my one O3S kill. I died and it put me down to 2900 dps from like 3300. I died because I sat at 30% HP for ~10 seconds before finally dying. It's super easy to check the death recap and see there were no incoming heals for roughly 10s other than a regen. At that point an interested party could look into what both healers were currently doing to determine cause.
    So long as whoever is thumbing through the logs is aware enough to look for things like that (and to be fair, anyone who's going to delve to that level should know to look for things like that), it's all good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fates are still decent for leveling, more so now with the fate bonuses.

I wouldn't care. I'm surprised it's just NOW becoming an issue. Ever since those kinds of sites and tools became available I fully expected my information/ logs to end up all over the place from people posting it. It's not private information, it's not even your information to get mad about, it belongs to the developer.

Worst case it shows you have sub par performance and need to improve...which is something a fairly large portion of the games population can identify with. Best case it shows you're fine or better.

While I do see why some people might get bent out of shape over it, as it's putting you on blast when you never said you wanted to be, but I think those people just need to get over it as it's really not that big of a deal and no one signed anything regarding the usage of the public data so anyone who gets it can use it for whatever they want.

Just keep in mind if this turns sour and people start being asshats about the posted logs showing how bad people are and making that their focus, Yoshida & team might feel compelled to change their current stance on looking the other way.

They care more about fostering a positive community than epeen contests.

Thank you. Yeah i thought the roulettes where pretty much a given. I try to mix in those as much as possible. I'm working RDM atm. I think I'll just go the dungeon grind method, while doing clan marks during queue times. I wish there was a decent solo option for leveling. I just prefer leveling on my own, then doing group content for end game for some reason.
    D'oh! You'd think someone who kills as many hunts (A and S ranks specifically) would know to mention the daily rank 3 hunt logs; 75 centurio seals and roughly half a million xp for 5 minutes of play. I believe the HW rank 3 daily hunts also reward half decent xp...but if not, they're still worth 75 seals.

Now here's an idea that'll get a laugh: Solo PotD. No, it's not optimal xp per hour/time spent (and it would be worth better xp were it done during the 50-60 push), but I've been having fun with it. I'm at floor 121 currently on my first go at this; I've only run floors 101+ once prior to this, and that was roughly a year ago. I went from about halfway through 68-69 to about a third of the way from 69-70 by doing that (I've since dinged 70 on RDM, since last time I worked on my solo PotD was this past Sunday). Keep in mind I started at floor 1 because I hadn't picked up the solo achieves before. The scary thing is realizing that no one has yet to clear floor 200 solo as of yet...

Despite having had my fun with the solo run, due to the fact I'd have to solo my way through 51-100 just to get to where things get interesting, I doubt I'll do this again. Really hope the devs gleam a lesson learned from that and let folks start where the difficulty is actually interesting. It's akin to requiring static raid teams to have to clear O1-O4 on normal before they can do savage each week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Fates are still decent for leveling, more so now with the fate bonuses.
    I forgot about those, too...I've got FATE PTSD thanks to last year's Yo-Kai, though, so give me a break!

Really, though, the random FATEs that get bonus xp, combined with the Twist of FATE buff you can get (by defeating whatever that mob was called that has random chance to spawn during a FATE) help to net xp while waiting in queue. Heck, having the Twist buff and hitting one of those 30 min "super FATEs" whenever they roll up as a bonus is a massive pile of xp, although it takes the stars to align.

Just keep in mind if this turns sour and people start being asshats about the posted logs showing how bad people are and making that their focus, Yoshida & team might feel compelled to change their current stance on looking the other way.

They care more about fostering a positive community than epeen contests.
    logging via fflogs would be far harder to punish than active parsing, like ACT. There is no immediate feedback that might indicate a person is logging a run, and logs are not necessarily attached to a player in game, but rather an account on fflogs, and that can even be made private.

Furthermore, the people who use the information to belittle others may not have had anything to do with the creation of the log.

I'm still a firm believer that we shouldn't attack the tool, but the behavior. Belittling people for any reason could constitute harassment and should be dealt with harshly.