Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Before every expansion releases, were there always leaked information?

I never followed it closely but I think before MoP there were some self-claimed "leaks" that was close to the actual expansion contents.

What about other expansions? TBC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion... did they all have some sort of leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasLehner View Post
    I never followed it closely but I think before MoP there were some self-claimed "leaks" that was close to the actual expansion contents.

What about other expansions? TBC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion... did they all have some sort of leaks?
    We have lots of leaks. Just browse general discussions. More than usuallly I think actually. The problem is we can't prove or disprove any of them until blizzard themselves release information.

And yes, I recall all expansions having a leak of some sort. Some vague, some detailed. Some accurate, some way off.

All we can do is guess and wait then look back after and see who was right
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

10+ Year Old Account

I remember that Warlords of Draenor leaked a few days before Blizzcon, then on Virtual Ticket/DirecTV broadcast I remember watching the "pre-show" interviews and they were interviewing that nerdy dev with glasses and right behind him on the wall was WoD logo. Broadcasted before the actual announcement.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Deleted
    Oh god plz don't give ideas to those guys.

At some point in MMO-C the frontpage of general forum was filled with fake leaks.

Glades never felt like it could be right to me, purely going off how the name just seemed shit for an expansion. Council of (the) Glades sounds more like a faction name.

Course, there's always the chance the names seem off due to shit translation.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

AFAIK:

- Cataclysm: Was leaked entirely on MMO-C news.
    - MoP: I don't know, wasn't playing at the time.
    - WoD: Was leaked some time before Blizzcon. Most people (me included) didn't believe it, since the premise was terrible). The leak was very cryptic, and not everything in it ended up in the beta version.
    - Legion. Yes, there was a small post leaking a few details, including expansion name, and a cryptic riddle-filled thread from a chinese leak.

Deleted

Everyone except MoP I think.

Not sure about TBC, but Wotlk, Cataclysm and MOP were "leaked" by someone who found their trademarked names.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Cataclysm, MoP, WoD, and Legion were all leaked.

So it is likely 8.0 is going to leak, but we don't know.
    Someone indeed leaked Legion in megathread, but barely anyone noticed it. Not sure it it counts if 99% of us went blind into annoucement.

I think it will be similar case this time, someone will leak, but it will be buried under 100 fake leaks.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    I remember that Warlords of Draenor leaked a few days before Blizzcon, then on Virtual Ticket/DirecTV broadcast I remember watching the "pre-show" interviews and they were interviewing that nerdy dev with glasses and right behind him on the wall was WoD logo. Broadcasted before the actual announcement.
    Yeah, that was just pure amateur work.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

There were leaks for MoP & WoD I remember that much.
    Here's two threads for WoD: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ums?p=23275135 & http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Leak-SOLgate/

Yeah nobody believed them.

-Grim

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Yes.

Every single one so far. How big the leaks were, and how certain varied. In some cases people appeared to merely guess very accurately. I had a thread I started deleted from the official forums because I very accurately guessed at the contents of the then-unannounced TBC expansion (it wasn't hard to guess!), right down to describing what non-Broken Draenei would probably look like (this was confirmed about three days later in an art leak).

Quote Originally Posted by Chaim Goldberg View Post
    The entire premise of WoD was leaked and a bunch of people thought it was a very shitty troll
    Yeah haha, that was possibly one of the funniest things in WoW history.

What potential expansion names have we had so far? I want to see if I can find anything in the USPTO database. I tried using Google to search that site for Rod A. Rigole because his name ends up on the entries, but it just showed me entries for existing products.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    What potential expansion names have we had so far? I want to see if I can find anything in the USPTO database. I tried using Google to search that site for Rod A. Rigole because his name ends up on the entries, but it just showed me entries for existing products.
    Veil of Shadows, Rise of the Naga (or Rise of the Naga Empire), Path of the Titans (again) and others have been suggested. Veil of Shadows is the only one which seems at all plausible to me, but I suspect the title hasn't leaked yet.

Would be funny if these people posting lekas were actually Blizzard employees that were given the task to do just that, in order to see what the players think. That way they can see the general opinion of players and wether they'd best scrap the expansion they've got planned after the one they're working on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Veil of Shadows, Rise of the Naga (or Rise of the Naga Empire), Path of the Titans (again) and others have been suggested. Veil of Shadows is the only one which seems at all plausible to me, but I suspect the title hasn't leaked yet.
    Cheers. Nothing on any of them. Doesn't mean anything; don't know when they need to submit trademark requests, how long it takes to show up or whether they can request it hidden until a specific date.

Wasn't expecting Path of the Titans at any rate; that one came from me, and I don't know shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Wasn't expecting Path of the Titans at any rate; that one came from me, and I don't know shit.
    it was a canceled cata feature, kinda lame if they went by that for the next x-pack

I remember Cataclysm had very detailed and mostly accurate leaks prior to announcement. There was at least one post that detailed a lot of specific plot information that turned out to be correct. Pandaria's title was leaked but I don't think we got any actual gameplay/story details prior to the official announcement. WoD had quite a few leaks detailing the general premise from what I can recall. Legion remained pretty much watertight up until the very last moment, presumably when people started seeing bits and pieces of promotional material at gamescom and started throwing together their theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageadon the Huntard View Post
    it was a canceled cata feature, kinda lame if they went by that for the next x-pack
    It was the name that made it seem like a possible choice; we've been walking the path of the Titans for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I remember Cataclysm had very detailed and mostly accurate leaks prior to announcement. There was at least one post that detailed a lot of specific plot information that turned out to be correct. Pandaria's title was leaked but I don't think we got any actual gameplay/story details prior to the official announcement. WoD had quite a few leaks detailing the general premise from what I can recall. Legion remained pretty much watertight up until the very last moment, presumably when people started seeing bits and pieces of promotional material at gamescom and started throwing together their theories.
    There were two leaks for Legion. One was a small summary (posted in a big 7.0 thread) that was very accurate (even the expansion title!) but got mostly ignored by everyone.
    The other was a chinese thread with lots of riddles and images of places/characters that hinted at things to come (it spoiled Warchief Sylvanas, reforming the Silver Hand, return of Illidan, a new class added and other things that ended up being true).