Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, at least she didn't slutplay the character like most women cosplayers seem to do.
    And who the fuck are you to shame someone for it? What happened to body positive?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    ...is WRONG and sexist and oppressive to females.

Go back to school, sexist oppressive person. You didn't learn anything in biology.
    That's what you think, but clearly it's not. Don't forget that in general, it's women who don't want to show their breasts...men won't mind if people want to run bare naked, even if that includes your occasional grandma's ugly saggy tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageadon the Huntard View Post
    lol, this is the reason why she should not wear it, the west should help her "challenge" her family or religion not cheer on them for keeping old traditions etc, the hijab is only the tip of the ice berg of what we see...
    She evidently doesn't seem to want to. She's perfectly happy not challenging anyone (i.e. her family and her religious beliefs) and just including it in all her costumes. She's not yelling "I'm oppressed help me," I assume she's wearing it because she's proud of it.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    nonononono.

Wrong again.

The Amish community ALLOWS them to leave and then they can come back if they decide they want to.
    You comptly missed my point. Some Amish people leave but choose to still wear there bonits even out side of there Amish commity just as some Muslims leave there Muslim community and choose to still wear there hijab.

Why is this even a news story? Hey look at me, I'm a Christian who integrates a cross with my cosplay outfits! Hey look at me, I'm a Mormon who wears my temple garments with my cosplay costumes!

15+ Year Old Account
    Niqab's unnerve me.

The idea of seeing a person and not being able to tell anything about them is distressing to the senses I think. We are such visually reliant creatures - having access to no visual information about someone leaves you in that constant 'threat' mode - because you can't deduce anything about them, size, silhouette, sex, hair color, skin color, eye color, facial expressions, posture, hand gestures, what they are holding, etc.

So our brain tries to assess the threat a person potentially poses to us upon meeting them, and we get no information, not even enough to identify them if we saw them again 5 minutes later.
    I'm amenable to the idea that you can grow accustomed to Niqab though if it's common in your culture - but it isn't in North America.

Additionally, I think the idea of a Niqab is particularly offensive in the Western World because we define ourselves through our individuality. The intent of a Niqab is to deny the woman any identifiable individuality. Nothing could appear more oppressive to the Western mind, so deeply invested in individuality, than being denied our appearance, our posture, our choice of clothing, our sex, our eye color, hair color, silhouette, etc. In the West we carefully craft our appearance to define who we as individuals are - nothing could be more diametrically opposed to that expression of identity than the Niqab.

I completely understand why the visceral reaction to the Niqab in Western society is so repulsive and offensive to us, and why it's so often interpretted as oppression of the woman to us - because to us that is exactly what it is.

However, while I can't personally relate to the idea that it is somehow a comforting choice to the woman - I don't exactly believe they are all brainwashed and lying to us when they say they enjoy it and choose it. It's likely to some degree a culture difference, even though I want to blurt out right now that brainwashing and oppression is surely at least part of it

With all that said, I have ~no such inclinations toward the Hijab. They are two very different topics to me - little different than someone choosing to wear a baseball hat, or wrap their hair in a scarf, or a turban, or really big cats eye sunglasses.

Edit:

I guess the other topic here is the need to cover women in the first place. The idea with covering the hair is to avoid arrousing God or something, which is just so weird - as though a womans hair was so attractive it would uncomfortably arrouse God if he could only see it from above (can't see it indoors though, God can't see through roofs, duh). The idea with Niqabs is similarly to not arrouse men, why? Are men such base animals we can't see a woman outside a Niqab and control ourselves? The Niqab seems like an insult to male self-control more than anything. Also, if it's really about not arrousing men, wouldn't it not apply to ugly women? It's not like they are only shrouding the 10/10's, or that if you are below a 3/10 you don't need a Niqab, right?

That calls the whole idea that it's about self-control or protecting the woman from men into question: because it's clearly not. Which is probably why the Western world is also probably so quick to assume it must be about oppressing the woman's individuality.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-09-28 at 06:05 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    She evidently doesn't seem to want to. She's perfectly happy not challenging anyone (i.e. her family and her religious beliefs) and just including it in all her costumes. She's not yelling "I'm oppressed help me," I assume she's wearing it because she's proud of it.
    Proud of religion, sickening.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Wait so how is being forced to wear a shirt not excluded to one sex but being forced to wear a burca is.
    read my earlier posts, not gonna go trough it all again !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Niqab's unnerve me.

The idea of seeing a person and not being able to tell anything about them is distressing to the senses I think. We are such visually reliant creatures - having access to no visual information about someone leaves you in that constant 'threat' mode - because you can't deduce anything about them, size, silhouette, sex, hair color, skin color, eye color, facial expressions, posture, hand gestures, what they are holding, etc.

So our brain tries to assess the threat a person potentially poses to us upon meeting them, and we get no information, not even enough to identify them if we saw them again 5 minutes later.
    I'm amenable to the idea that you can grow accustomed to Niqab though if it's common in your culture - but it isn't in North America.

Additionally, I think the idea of a Niqab is particularly offensive in the Western World because we define ourselves through our individuality. The intent of a Niqab is to deny the woman any identifiable individuality. Nothing could appear more oppressive to the Western mind, so deeply invested in individuality, than being denied our appearance, our posture, our choice of clothing, our sex, our eye color, hair color, silhouette, etc. I completely understand why the visceral reaction to the Niqab in Western society is so repulsive and offensive to us, and why it's so often interpretted as oppression of the woman to us - because to us that is exactly what it is.

However, while I can't personally relate to the idea that it is somehow a comforting choice to the woman - I don't exactly believe they are all brainwashed and lying to us when they say they enjoy it and choose it. It's likely to some degree a culture difference, even though I want to blurt out right now that brainwashing and oppression is surely at least part of it

With all that said, I have ~no such inclinations toward the Hijab. They are two very different topics to me - little different than someone choosing to wear a baseball hat, or wrap their hair in a scarf, or a turban, or really big cats eye sunglasses.
    It is brainwashing as is all religion.

(Infracted)

15+ Year Old Account
    She should do a quarian cosplay.

no joke, I love Quarians in Mass Effect.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    It is brainwashing as is all religion.

(Infracted)
    If this post is considered a forbidden topic, then this thread should be locked.

You can't allow this thread to exist and then expect people not to criticize religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    If this post is considered a forbidden topic, then this thread should be locked.

You can't allow this thread to exist and then expect people not to criticize religion.
    It's not hard to stop talking about religion and simply talk about clothing being forced on only one sex or clothing being denied to only one sex and how it needs to stop being done, regardless of what religion you practice or not.

She'll probably be stoned to death for blasphemy via Sharia law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    She'll probably be stoned to death for blasphemy via Sharia law.
    In the UK? LOL

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not hard to stop talking about religion and simply talk about clothing being forced on only one sex or clothing being denied to only one sex and how it needs to stop being done, regardless of what religion you practice or not.
    Gender threads are also disallowed.

So no, apparently even what you suggested isn't allowed here.

Deleted

Trump threads should be banned too

Sexism and oppression isn't about gender.

If she wants to do cosplay more power to her. That being said I don’t find her actual cosplay costume all that interesting or imaginative. Kinda like something one would buy in the Halloween section of party city plus a hijab. So is it about the cosplay or the hijab?

Seems like hijabs are quite the controversial subject, judging by this thread.

I wonder how Captain America feels about them. Isn't the guy incapable of being bad?

7+ Year Old Account
    Sexism and oppression isn't about gender.
    I mean, if we're being inclusive on this issue, then any thread about sexism would be making assumptions about gender.