Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    And what about the milk?
    Vegetarians as a whole don't have a hard rule about Dairy. There are some that do...but not all. There's no hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Actually all vegatarians eat eggs.

Calling yourself vegetarian kinda doesn't make sense though. Cause, I mean, animals products are not really vegetarian. Even if you only eat cheese, cheese isn't a vegetable.
    It's not all animal products. If you're an ethical vegetarian it's about animal treatment, not animal products. At least that's how I personally view it. <shrug>

To clarify, I have no ethical issue with eating eggs from free range chickens or using milk/cheese from properly treated cows. Killing them simply because I prefer the taste of a burger to that of beans... more of an issue for me personally.
    Last edited by DSRilk; 2017-09-28 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Most vegans/vegetarians don't eat meat because they object to killing animals, not because they think it tastes bad. So their goal is to create meat substitutes that don't involve harming animals.

If we can get to a point where lab grown meat is viable and cost effective, many will probably eat that instead, unless they have specific dietary reasons to avoid it.
    I would totally eat cultured meat. After watching some documentaries on poultry, hog and cow industry I get pretty grossed out. The saftey/cleanliness is my hardest issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Yes, I'm for real. It took maybe 15 minutes on the Internet to find data on various organic farms and their practices, and about 2 minutes tops to get a list of cheeses and brands that don't use animal rennet, though it's also written on the packaging. I also am pretty picky about the practices used in manufacturing what I buy. In the end though, it's a matter of do what you can. I'm not going to just throw all morality to the wind simply because I can't stop injustice everywhere, especially when it only takes a few minutes on the Internet to do so. And I have a wife, three kids, and almost 5 decades under my belt. I'm pretty grown up.

- - - Updated - - -

My grocery stores and markets are different apparently. As to Parmesan requiring the use of animal rennet... "Kraft Natural Swiss and Kraft Grated Parmesan utilize microbial rennet that is NOT made with enzymes extracted from animal tissue." And yet Kraft, and gigantic well known brand of cheese calls it Parmesan and yet they don't use animal rennet. If there is some kind of brand protection (not that Parmesan is even a brand...), it's certainly not being enforced.
    I honestly can't tell about the US. But over here we have protected brands. Parmesan like I told you and for example Champagne has to be from the Champagne region in France.

Actually all vegatarians eat eggs.
    No...they don't.

https://www.vegsoc.org/definition

There are different types of vegetarian:

Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs.

Ovo-vegetarian. Eats eggs but not dairy products.

Vegans do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals.
    Calling yourself vegetarian kinda doesn't make sense though. Cause, I mean, animals products are not really vegetarian. Even if you only eat cheese, cheese isn't a vegetable.
    Vegetarian:a person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, especially for moral, religious, or health reasons.

Doesn't say they only eat vegetables...says they don't eat meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Vegetarians as a whole don't have a hard rule about Dairy. There are some that do...but not all. There's no hypocrisy.
    I think you missed the point about the calves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    It's not all animal products. If you're an ethical vegetarian it's about animal treatment, not animal products. At least that's how I personally view it. <shrug>
    Then you could also justify eating meat, which would make the whole vegetarian thing pretty pointless.

I honestly can't tell about the US. But over here we have protected brands. Parmesan like I told you and for example Champagne has to be from the Champagne region in France.
    I can tell you about the US. It's not like that at all here

They aren't eating the calves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you could also justify eating meat, which would make the whole vegetarian thing pretty pointless.
    Not entirly true. You don't want meat from old animals because that's about the same as eating leather.

I still don’t see it as hypocrisy. The calf isnt wasted. The vegetarian just chooses not to consume the actual calf or rennet used from it. The veal is used by others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Not necessarily. Those that eat eggs and drink milk are technically called Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarians; it's just that hardly anyone uses that term. Vegetarians who drink milk but don't eat eggs are called Lacto-Vegetarians and so on.
    Then by that logic, only the ones that don't eat eggs or drink milk would be called vegetarians. But that would make them really vegans. Because if you don't eat meat, fish, eggs or milk, there's not much left. Honey is pretty much the only thing left as far as I know right now. And I'm sure if you've gone that far in cutting out meat and animal products, honey won't stop you from going full vegan. So by your definition, vegetarians are pretty much vegans. As far as I know, the default has always been, no meat and fish. Eggs and milk are fine.

Not really. Raising an animal for the purpose of slaughtering it falls into the "poor treatment" category for me. As does factory-farming of eggs and milk. It's not about consumption of the product (hence why I and others would be okay with lab-produced meat), it's about how it ends up on your plate.

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't eating the calves.
    No they aren't. But they are eating the milk/cheese produced by those cows. they get calves 3 out of 10 live the rest goes to the slaughterhouse. That's the hypocritical part.

Deleted
    Not entirly true. You don't want meat from old animals because that's about the same as eating leather.
    But you can kill animals pretty much painless, which eliminates the suffering.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's true and that's why I only buy meat at a butcher of whom I know only buys relatively pain-free meat.

No they aren't. But they are eating the milk/cheese produced by those cows. they get calves 3 out of 10 live the rest goes to the slaughterhouse. That's the hypocritical part.
    No...it isn't...because being a vegetarian means not eating meat. They are not eating meat. There is no hypocrisy.

The calves would end up at the slaughterhouse anyway...it has nothing to do with vegetarians.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2017-09-28 at 06:24 PM.

Killing an (somewhat) intelligent animal that forms social bonds, painlessly or not, is over my personal line. Most things die in pain. It's not about the dying per se.

As the title suggests, vegetarian cheese.

Most cheese is made by mixing milk with rennet. Those are enzyms habiting in a cow's stomach, even more in calves. Vegetarian cheese replaces that with a chemical or yeast.
    In order for a cow to produce milk it should have calved recently, or given birth as we call it with humans. Only 30% of those calves are used to become a new generation of milking cows. The rest will end up in the slaughterhouse where they will also be used for the rennet which resides in their stomachs.

Long story short: eat cheese and enjoy some veal from time to time like a normal human being. Or go full vegan and don't even touch cheese. But vegetarian cheese is for hypocrites.
    I can't consume lactose without some nasty side effects, so I'll continue to eat vegetarian cheese thanks.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    No...it isn't...because being a vegetarian is not eating meat. They are not eating meat. There is no hypocrisy.

The calves would end up at the slaughterhouse anyway...it has nothing to do with vegetarians.
    I thought being vegetarian is about being against animal "cruelty". But I guess I am wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I can't consume lactose without some nasty side effects, so I'll continue to eat vegetarian cheese thanks.
    That would be vegan cheese, not vegetarian.