10+ Year Old Account

We in the future now boys.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/09/...5-outlaws.html

"Silent, invisible, deadly. The powerful ATHENA laser weapon can destroy enemy threats within seconds. It just destroyed five Outlaw drones.

For the United States, thanks to pioneering efforts of American companies like Lockheed Martin and the military, laser weapons are no longer the stuff of Star Wars and Star Trek.

In near-term future battles, the U.S. military can choose to bring laser weapons mounted on vehicles, vessels, and more, to war. By comparison, the weapons of any enemy will look like bows and arrows.

ATHENA, (Advanced Test High Energy Asset), is one of the most exciting of these new American laser weapons. During recent testing with the U.S. Army's Space and Missile Defense Command at the Army's White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, the 30-kilowatt weapon slayed five Outlaw drones. Not toy hobby sized drones, but drones with nearly 11 foot wingspans."

Political bickering, ravaging storms, and breaking in your knee pads aside, what a time to be alive!

Would be nice to have any weapon tech junkies give their two cents on the significance of weapon development such as these and where you see this being deployed or the direction on ground warfare will take.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

I'd be curious about @Skroe's thoughts moreso than any of our other posters.

Deleted
    Then it rains, and doesn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yamilonewolf View Post
    Lol that was my first thought as well. Used to love those series, campy cringe cutscenes and all.

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

It sounds like it should be satellite based with "Athena" written across the satellite in big black letters. Then it could target half the world, well if it's sunny.

The only reason I want some kind of immortality is to see all this stuff come to fruition.

Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-10-06 at 05:29 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd be curious about @Skroe's thoughts moreso than any of our other posters.
    "hurr durr OBAMA ! if we kill enuff grandpas by repelling the ACA and ditch the iran deal we can buy more f35 with laser cannons"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post

The word is Slew...

GG fox
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

What will happen when we travel faster than the speed of light?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    What will happen when we travel faster than the speed of light?
    Ultra mega super lasers with a hemi and turbo boost.

*starts building hilt*

Well, years of research had to give some fruits. Obviously, there will be more of this coming.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nonsense, we are in the present. You can never be in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Nonsense, we are in the present. You can never be in the future.
    Actually yes you can. Light from distant stars and planets takes years to reach us. A lot of the stars we perceive in the night sky have already gone supernova and no long exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the lazer gun from golden eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It sounds like it should be satellite based with "Athena" written across the satellite in big black letters. Then it could target half the world, well if it's sunny.

The only reason I want some kind of immortality is to see all this stuff come to fruition.

Satellites are useless for lasers (at least for targets in the atmosphere), because of divergence and dispersion.

10+ Year Old Account
    So hows that Deathstar design coming along. Hear it'll be a blast :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Actually yes you can. Light from distant stars and planets takes years to reach us. A lot of the stars we perceive in the night sky have already gone supernova and no long exist.
    That is not technically correct. What you see is the past, but you're still in the present.