Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't dislike the idea of the bad guy winning once in a while but it has to be done well...with impact. The one game I can think of that did this pretty well was FF6 where Kefka ends up "winning" about halfway through the game. Because of that your group loses in a big way, but you rally at the end and come back.

I'm not convinced that doing that in an MMO would work well. Perhaps this whole thing with Sithilus will be interesting but we will see. Poor Azeroth must be feeling tired of all the people trying to destroy her.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    What do you imagine that a defeat would look like after two years of an expansion that would make players happy?

A raid where no one gets down the final boss? Haven't we had enough raids where the end protagonist manages to "escape" somehow? We call that a win but it's not like any win that I'm really familiar with. Are we talking about something swooping over all of Azeroth on the final day of the expansion and killing all player characters or what?

Interesting thought though? What does a loss actually look like?
    The expansion would have to end on a cliffhanger perhaps with the legion pouring through portals onto Azeroth and our armies surrendering to the enemy. Opening of the next expansion we are all enslaved with no gear except a white pickaxe to work in the mines. From there begins the insurrection/rebellion. Eventually we are able to escape and reclaim our gear that we conveniently hid away somewhere before our surrender.

Deleted
    Never make it into a wow expasion and instead make a Warcraft RTS based on Dreanor directly following the crash landing of the Space Goats. Could have a Orc, Orge, Dreani, etc as factions. I'd have the main villains being Shadowmoon Orcs and Pale Orcs utilizing the new Dark Star to defend the orcs from the invaders. Could have the Arroka and apexis as the main storyline in an expasion. Grow the Warcraft lore outside of wow by focusing on unknown histories

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I don't dislike the idea of the bad guy winning once in a while but it has to be done well...with impact. The one game I can think of that did this pretty well was FF6 where Kefka ends up "winning" about halfway through the game. Because of that your group loses in a big way, but you rally at the end and come back.
    It's kinda comparable to what happened at the Broken Shore. We had to step back, find new allies and angles of attack, and then struck back at them.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wod should have never happend we should have gone from mop to legion.

Don't really have an opinion on a change up for WoD, but a thought on how we could "lose" at the end of Legion yet still move forward. What if at the end of Antorus, we don't really fully contain Sargeras, but more or less it showed the titans struggling to contain him stating it would take time to complete a ritual. Then, the day before the new expac goes live, maybe even within the hour (or whenever you login to begin the new expac) it shows our heroes back on Azeroth when all of the sudden we see a gigantic spear tip or sword tip plunge to Azeroth (gives into the recent screens we've seen in Silithus). When it lands, we briefly see a cloud rise (dust smoke etc.) then the effect of our characters being knocked out and near death. Once expac is live, our characters awaken in full gear with artifact weapon depleted or gone only leaving a shell of its former self, and our toons have no memory of who or what we are. The leveling experience could take place in Azeroth, where we level over territories (groups of zones so you dont have to relive every zone) slowly regaining memories of who we were and relearning abilities. Once fully leveled, we begin to realize who the new threat is that could be pulling strings along the way as you level.

Again just a thought but would be an interesting way to lose but progress, also would help create a way that our artifacts are "gone" and also give somewhat of an old world revamp that I have read some people asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But, we even lost when arriving to Argus. We were meant to be of a supreme power yet the damn Xenedar takes a hit and crashes. We haven't had a 'pure win' in a long time.
    Going from being invaded by an innumerable army of demons with an armada of spaceships to invading them has more win than Charlie Sheen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like your ideas OP. Definitely much better than the WoD that was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    The expansion would have to end on a cliffhanger perhaps with the legion pouring through portals onto Azeroth and our armies surrendering to the enemy. Opening of the next expansion we are all enslaved with no gear except a white pickaxe to work in the mines. From there begins the insurrection/rebellion. Eventually we are able to escape and reclaim our gear that we conveniently hid away somewhere before our surrender.
    We reclaim our gear by stopping by some guy's farm and carrying boar poop from one side of his field to the other avoiding dangerous robot scarecrows.

Only partially kidding.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."