Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Without universal coverage, unions are little more than gangs hitting people up for protection money.
    Labor rights are way more than about health coverage.

On Monday during the Supreme Court’s new term, the justices heard arguments in three consolidated cases with far-reaching implications for wage-earners.

The cases—Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis, Ernst & Young LLP v. Morris, and National Labor Relations Board v. Murphy Oil USA, Inc.—are all about whether employers have the right to compel workers go through onerous individual arbitration proceedings in order to bring labor law claims. If the justices answer that question in the affirmative, then the affected workers will—as a practical matter—find it nearly impossible to win back pay in cases involving wage law violations.

As more and more firms are inserting individual arbitration clauses into employee contracts. These clauses require employees to pursue workplace-related claims before private arbitrators rather than in federal or state court. These clauses also, critically, require employees to pursue their claims individually rather than through collective actions.

The 7th and 9th U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals have both held that individual arbitration provisions in employment contracts are unenforceable. But several other courts have sided with the employers. Meanwhile, the Justice Department, which initially defended the board’s position, switched sides this past June.

So good luck trying to win a case of lost wages on your own, instead of pooling resources with other workers to hire better legal representation.

Also Unions like the SEIU were the chief campaigners for $15/hr min wage laws. Without their support, it will be harder to fight against GOP laws that undermine local wage increases.

As fucked up as it is having an illegitimate Justice thanks to McConnels inability to do his job and Obama's lack of spine. The precedence this sets is even more fucked up and potentially more dangerous.

The on top of the republican's refusing to get off their bum ass and do their jobs for 8 years, with them refusing to even half-ass do their jobs and hear the nominations and it was allowed to slide, this sets the precedence that the Senate doesn't have to hear for the Justices period if they don't like it. Before the election, they had one of the politicians on the radio talking about how if Clinton won the race they saw no reason in filling the seat for the next 4 years claiming there is no reason they HAVE to fill it.

This sets the precedence for instance that if we had a republican president in office and a justice died, the Democrats could just refuse to have hearing on the presidents nominations for 2 to 4 years, longer if they get reelected until they got a president they wanted and the Republicans couldn't say a damn thing about it because they set the precedence or could happen again now.

This is fucked up in the short run and the long run. Got sellouts controlling the courts putting party before country and constitution and has a precedent which can leave a seat open indefinitely if the Senate doesn't like the president in power.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    What???? Did you honestly just say unions shouldn't be political??? Are you really that ignorant, and I mean that honestly.

You know that unions used politics (The First Amendment) to protest against robber barons. Child labor laws, Overtime Laws, Worker Protection Laws, and more all happened because unions.
    No, I said if they were not political they would have less issues attracting members.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find me the money for universal healthcare without impacting the other really important stuff that the government does, and I'll support it.
    Medicare and Medicaid budgets. Done.

Between the two, those programs literally cost as much per capita as our system up here in Canada (which covers everyone) does.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know, you clearly said Unions shouldn't be political. I'm sure you are unaware of the National Labor Union, they dissolved since then, but they were the ones who used politics to create the 8 hour week day. A sentiment that would be carried forward with FDR, arguably one of America's most successful president.
    Oh I am quite aware of the good unions did in the past in the political arena, however that does not change the fact that their current involvement is not helping their cause of increasing their ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    Just reminding idiots that either abstained from voting or voted for Trump out of spite for Clinton.
    your right I voted against Clinton because Her husband should be in jail.... No one who is accused of assault by 3 different women pays someone 850k to "go away" unless they actually did something... Anyone who wasn't hiding something would do whatever it took to clear their name. Not to mention the spending of the "Clinton Foundation" the DNC did republicans a favor by making sure she won because the clinton's lies and corruption go back way further than trumps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

Between the two, those programs literally cost as much per capita as our system up here in Canada (which covers everyone) does.
    You ever wonder why something that covers under 20% of the population costs as much as your whole universal healthcare???? As I said in another thread the reason why Single payer is a pipe dream isn't the republicans. Its the healthcare system... when medical care costs 5-10x more here than other places there is 0 way we can afford single payer unless we Gut the healthcare system and tell hospitals and Big Pharma to suck it and cap their prices at pennies on the dollar of what they are now. I read somewhere An IV bag of Saline administered at a ER here costs 300 dollars in Australia it costs approx 27 dollars US In Canada Its still like 60 bucks..... This is why we can't have nice things (unless your a hospital investor)
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-09-30 at 06:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Oh I am quite aware of the good unions did in the past in the political arena, however that does not change the fact that their current involvement is not helping their cause of increasing their ranks.
    How dare they support politicians who support their cause! Their membership would be sooooo much higher if only they were a-political and did nothing! Or supported candidates against their agenda equally!

This is one of the moments where reality leans "left". Telling unions to be a-political to attract members is like suggesting the NRA would be more successful by being a-political. Their issues are inherently political.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    your right I voted against Clinton because Her husband should be in jail.... No one who is accused of assault by 3 different women pays someone 850k to "go away" unless they actually did something...
    ... you mean like Trump?

your right I voted against Clinton because Her husband should be in jail.... No one who is accused of assault by 3 different women pays someone 850k to "go away" unless they actually did something... Anyone who wasn't hiding something would do whatever it took to clear their name. Not to mention the spending of the "Clinton Foundation" the DNC did republicans a favor by making sure she won because the clinton's lies and corruption go back way further than trumps.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for literally proving my point. A bunch of conspiracy and nonsense that has no real political bearing on anything that even remotely affects your life with no apparent thought to the consequence of the Republican agenda.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Yes because fuck freedom of association right, right?

The idea that unions can force people to pay for their political campaigns is beyond ridiculous and it is past time this forced association was overturned.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    thanks for literally proving my point. A bunch of conspiracy and nonsense that has no real political bearing on anything that even remotely affects your life with no apparent thought to the consequence of the Republican agenda.
    TIL that according to democrats sexual assault is nonsense that we shouldn't care about and Paying a Woman 150k more than she was suing for in the first place in a settlement offer that was made days after part of the case was dropped by a judge isn't suspicious at all... Thanks for clearing up where the left stands on sexual assault and bribery in our country ill make sure thats another reason I never vote left.

As to agenda I got to watch obama's agenda for 8 years... Refuse to condemn violent rioting/murder of police officers in the name of a false narrative Check. Raise the National Debt in his first 4 years by more than Bush did in 8 Check.. Beat that record in his next 4 years Check. Create a healthcare plan that is half assed and sucking money like a bottomless pit Check.. Do nothing about the record number of illegal immigrants entering our country check... The list could go on..

and don't get me wrong trump wasn't my first choice either I was a Ben Carson supporter throughout the Primaries but shit happens. Still better than the lifelong politician who has failed at every office she has held.
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-09-30 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

I'd be fine with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Why the fuck is it okay for corporations to be political, but not unions?
    Because unions don't bribe as well as corporations.

- - - Updated - - -

Hospitals already are obligated to treat, and yes, healthcare intrinsically has a "your money or your life" implication in every transaction. Find me the money for universal healthcare without impacting the other really important stuff that the government does, and I'll support it. You can't, because 65% of the budget is eaten up by old people's drugs and pensions.
    Which costs more in the long run than single-payer would.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    They have used the First Amendment to protect the nearly unfettered ability of wealthy individuals and corporations to influence elections
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/g...n-fundraising/

You were saying?
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-09-30 at 08:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Bloomberg article doesnt account for Dark Money spending which overwhelmingly favors Republicans. Also that report was before these groups had to report spending to the FEC.
    Many of these groups (mainly “social welfare” groups and other politically active 501(c) nonprofits) invested in months’ worth of ads as well as sustained ground support before the date in early September when they would have to begin reporting those expenditures to the FEC.

Groups like:
    Karl Rove-linked One Nation
    Koch network’s Americans for Prosperity
    NRA
    Chamber of Commerce
    etc..

501(c) also don’t have to report their wealthy individual and corporate donors to the public, prompting the term “dark money.” These groups vastly outspent unions in 2016.

These groups are why the the GOP and Trump keep pushing unpopular legislation. Like the ACA repeal (tax cuts for the donor class) and their current Tax Bill (more tax cuts for the donor class).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    That Bloomberg article doesnt account for Dark Money spending which overwhelmingly favors Republicans. Also that report was before these groups had to report spending to the FEC.
    Many of these groups (mainly “social welfare” groups and other politically active 501(c) nonprofits) invested in months’ worth of ads as well as sustained ground support before the date in early September when they would have to begin reporting those expenditures to the FEC.

Groups like:
    Karl Rove-linked One Nation
    Koch network’s Americans for Prosperity
    NRA
    Chamber of Commerce
    etc..

501(c) also don’t have to report their wealthy individual and corporate donors to the public, prompting the term “dark money.” These groups vastly outspent unions in 2016.

These groups are why the the GOP and Trump keep pushing unpopular legislation. Like the ACA repeal (tax cuts for the donor class) and their current Tax Bill (more tax cuts for the donor class).
    Ah the expected reaction. Simply hand-waving hard data with unproven (and unprovable) assertions.

If money could buy elections, Clinton would be the president and Dems would be in control of Congress. Not to even mention people like Ossof who would certainly win if that assertion was true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I have no issue with unions being political, so long as no one who does not wish to support said union is required to.
    Then all those workers under the unions umbrella that do not pay or wish to pay for benefits should have everything the unions bargained for them stripped including health benefits and raises.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Yes because fuck freedom of association right, right?

The idea that unions can force people to pay for their political campaigns is beyond ridiculous and it is past time this forced association was overturned.
    The idea that non union employees receive the benefits from those that do pay is beyond ridiculous. They should be stripped of overtime pay, paid holidays, weekends off, health insurance, safety standards and the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Then all those workers under the unions umbrella that do not pay or wish to pay for benefits should have everything the unions bargained for them stripped including health benefits and raises.

- - - Updated - - -

The idea that non union employees receive the benefits from those that do pay is beyond ridiculous. They should be stripped of overtime pay, paid holidays, weekends off, health insurance, safety standards and the rest.
    Oh how cute of you to pretend that those individuals would then not bargain for benefits of their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The hard and far right on MMO-C are anti-union? What a surprise that they are corporate bootlickers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    How dare they support politicians who support their cause! Their membership would be sooooo much higher if only they were a-political and did nothing! Or supported candidates against their agenda equally!

This is one of the moments where reality leans "left". Telling unions to be a-political to attract members is like suggesting the NRA would be more successful by being a-political. Their issues are inherently political.
    No, their issues are not inherently political, and if union membership was like NRA membership, I would have no issue with unions being policial to the extreme.

- - - Updated - - -

America just increased the budget of the military by 80 Billion dollars, and that is after everyone said Trumps 50 billion dollar was absurd. The vote was almost unanimous and has barley made a blimp on main stream media.

So how about we shrink the budget of the America War Machine and give every person in the US on medicare 4 all, single payer, or hell even the public option.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly their both rich SOBs, and unfit to be president.

- - - Updated - - -

Their ranks didn't really shrink until capitalist Ronald Reagan threaten to fire all Air Traffic Controllers crossed the US unless they got back to work. They'd be fired, just like how Trump called on NFL owners to start firing anyone who protested the National Anthem. The owners stuck with their unions, because 70% of their players are black. History almost repeating itself, but a union that protected it's workers Freedom Of Expression didn't let that happen.

It's a stretch I know.... But i'm tired. :P
    PATCO staged an illegal strike and they were properly fired under federal law as they were federal employees and legally barred from striking. This is nothing close to the protests of football players, who are not federal employees and the NFL does not specify behavior during the anthem. Not that the owners dont have the right to ban the protests individually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What non union members get in compensation should be of no concern of the union, for better or for worse.