Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    This.

There may be one or two references in there, but those blend into the background with the show's fast pace being center.
    Family Guy is nothing but references, long cutaway gags (Conway Twitty..) and mediocre character drama that never works/is out of place.
    There's been some pretty blatant references that formed the back-bone of a lot of the shows; like Anatomy Park and Jurassic Park, Lawnmower Dog and Lawnmower Man (which also references an unrealised pitch that Justin Roiland made prior to Rick and Morty,) the Vindicators and the Avengers. Then there are the films that Rick straight out says they're copying like Inception, The Purge and Saw. Don't get me wrong I think R+M is one of the best animated series to come out in a long time, even beating things like Archer and Venture Bros (both of which I love,) but if you don't notice all the pop-culture references in there you're probably missing out on half of the jokes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    There's been some pretty blatant references that formed the back-bone of a lot of the shows; like Anatomy Park and Jurassic Park, Lawnmower Dog and Lawnmower Man (which also references an unrealised pitch that Justin Roiland made prior to Rick and Morty,) the Vindicators and the Avengers. Then there are the films that Rick straight out says they're copying like Inception, The Purge and Saw. Don't get me wrong I think R+M is one of the best animated series to come out in a long time, even beating things like Archer and Venture Bros (both of which I love,) but if you don't notice all the pop-culture references in there you're probably missing out on half of the jokes.
    I don't really consider an intentionally similar setting to be a reference in the same manner as a Family Guy reference where it's utilised for a 15-50 second cutaway just to fill up a time slot.

Yeah, Rick and Morty references tend to be "YEAH WE'RE DOING INCEPTION FUCKING DEAL WITH IT" and that's the last time you hear about it, so the actual episode still has some cohesion even if you haven't seen Inception.

I kind of consider this season a step down so far. It just hasn't struck me creatively outside of a couple episodes. It seems to be more on the level of other similar cartoons now. I mean really, Beth saying fake news...come on. Not to mention they seem to have given up on fostering suspension of disbelief. Let me grab this pink chalk that I draw on the wall to fairy land. I'm smart, don't worry about how it works. They also seem to be shoe-horning in narratives that I don't think anyone really cared about previously. That and it seems like they've gotten too comfortable saying "yea we're just going on an adventure", since when were they "adventurers" like they're trying to portray them as? They used to naturally end up on adventures, not decide to go do something out of the blue just for the sake of starting an episode off.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2017-09-28 at 09:12 AM.

I find Rick and Morty rather funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    I kind of consider this season a step down so far. It just hasn't struck me creatively outside of a couple episodes. It seems to be more on the level of other similar cartoons now. I mean really, Beth saying fake news...come on. Not to mention they seem to have given up on fostering suspension of disbelief. Let me grab this pink chalk that I draw on the wall to fairy land. I'm smart, don't worry about how it works. They also seem to be shoe-horning in narratives that I don't think anyone really cared about previously. That and it seems like they've gotten too comfortable saying "yea we're just going on an adventure", since when were they "adventurers" like they're trying to portray them as? They used to naturally end up on adventures, not decide to go do something out of the blue just for the sake of starting an episode off.
    You should rewatch the first two seasons, because they've always been adventurers.

I've yet to see a reason for not liking season 3 as much as the previous seasons that I can relate to. Having rewatched good portions of the last two seasons before this one, this feels like a step-up in every department to me.

The first few seasons, it was Rick saying "I need X component to create Y invention, come help me Morty", and that was the entire premise. They've kind of done away with it as the audience has become more aware of the meta-narrative that Rick is just a restless asshole.

The constant Jerry hate parade from the writers is getting old.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

I am newly caught up on Rick and Morty and this show is really good, I don't think it is like, as amazing as other but it is really funny and I enjoy yhe hints of a more deep plot in the works.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    The constant Jerry hate parade from the writers is getting old.
    But his suffering is our nourishment!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I don't think there's a lot of references at all. Family Guy is a show with references. Everything Rick and Morty does is pretty original if you ask me...

There are a lot of references to other shows, movies, books, videogames, songs and so on, they are just not lay out the way family guy would do it (with a cut away for example as @Beste Kerel said). Many of them either are blent on the background or are not so explicitly shown, either way I expressed myself badly before, I didn´t meant that the whole purpose of entretainment of the show was to joke with a costant show of references... I actually ment that the hunt for easter eggs is huge a part of the show where a lot of people have fun just seeking them becouse there are just a lot but they are hidden. That is way I said that maybe if the viewer didn´t have as much fun might be becouse he is missing that "part" of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    You should rewatch the first two seasons, because they've always been adventurers.

I've yet to see a reason for not liking season 3 as much as the previous seasons that I can relate to. Having rewatched good portions of the last two seasons before this one, this feels like a step-up in every department to me.
    This season just feels cheaper, like they're pandering. And like I said, they always went on adventures, but it was sort of a natural experience that you could call an adventure once you reflected on it. Now they literally start the episodes saying "let's go on an adventure".
    Also I feel like they just wasted opportunities this season. There was a stretch of episodes where we really didn't even see the "normal" Rick and Morty, it feels like they've been out of character in more episodes than not. Not to mention the clip show episode.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This season just feels cheaper, like they're pandering. And like I said, they always went on adventures, but it was sort of a natural experience that you could call an adventure once you reflected on it. Now they literally start the episodes saying "let's go on an adventure".
    Also I feel like they just wasted opportunities this season. There was a stretch of episodes where we really didn't even see the "normal" Rick and Morty, it feels like they've been out of character in more episodes than not. Not to mention the clip show episode.

Been that way since at least season 1 episode 5

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Been that way since at least season 1 episode 5
    Not really. And that justify continuing to use it as lazy writing.

Not really. And that justify continuing to use it as lazy writing.
    The show being self aware is what makes it great.

I still enjoy it... but is that a shark I see out the corner of my eye?!

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I still enjoy it... but is that a shark I see out the corner of my eye?!
    This show started out doing laps through a series of shark tanks with springboards attached to them, man.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I don't think there's a lot of references at all. Family Guy is a show with references. Everything Rick and Morty does is pretty original if you ask me...
    Wh... what are you talking about?

The show is chock full of pop culture references. There's entire reviews and YouTube channels dedicated to pointing as many of them as they can find each episode even.

Just because something goes flying over your oblivious little head doesn't mean they don't exist. Your ignorance to something does not equate to reality. And doubting it when people more knowledgeable on the subject correct you just makes you look even worse.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

That was the mother fucking season finale? Omg my life is ruined.

Episode was good. It also felt like classic Rick and Morty, but was still so good on an individual scene/joke/overall level.

The show's continuity continues. Jerry is back in the family and Rick is the odd one out. I see...It's pointless to discuss if Beth is real or clone so anyone who mentions it here in this thread I'll consider to be low brow.

Btw the jokes with the president were so fast paced. I need to rewatch the episode to make sure I catch them all.

I disliked the finale. And about half the season. The Ricklantis Mixup made it all worth it, I suppose.

Art by draken4o