Upgrade CPU or GPU?

I'm looking to upgrade either my GPU (R9 270X) or my CPU (i5-4690k). I only have the budget for one or the other right now (about $300). Would a GTX 1060 6GB or i5-7600k be a bigger upgrade? I know that WOW is more CPU reliant I'm just unsure which would be the bigger upgrade. CPU is not currently overclocked. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Well if you go for CPU you would also need a new motherboard and ram (and I would advise coffee lake CPU's i5 8600k) which would be over your budget.

Also your CPU is still good so a new GPU might be the smarter choice if you actually need an upgrade.

Any games or apps you are struggling with?

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What are you doing that you need more than what the i5-4690k can put out? I have the same CPU and have zero issues running with a 970 at 1080p. Overclock your CPU. What's your MoBo? Most have 1 click ez mode that will push you to 4.1 or so.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

I'm aware that the new cpu would require a new mobo and ram, which I'm willing to do. I mostly play WOW with some Overwatch atm. My FPS in raids like LFR is pretty terrible. I've tried messing with settings but I still can't seem to get above a sluggish 20-30. Dungeons are usually fine. I have an ASUS Z97AR. I've tried overclocking before and had some issues with bluescreens but it's been so long I don't remember the specifics. Willing to do it again I just haven't taken the time to test the stability. I'm leaning towards GPU right now.

Since WoW is more CPU dependant, going with a CPU upgrade is a good choice, but ofcourse you will need a GPU thats up to par aswell, i decided to upgrade recently and with a stroke of luck with some good deals, i ended up with a surprisingly cheap ryzen 5 1600x and strix 1060 setup on a B350 pro carbon, got the CPU running stable at 3.9ghz atm which gives me pretty much over 100 fps in wow at all times, even in raids i never really drop below 80.

TL DR. i think maybe the GPU would be a bigger upgrade for you right now, and a 1060 will take you a long way, unless you plan to go 1440p gaming

GPU is a bigger upgrade.
    When it comes to new cpu generations your talking minuscule improvements in performance between each generation only really worth upgrading after several generations.

If i was you i would save up more, wait for the next nvidia generation (probably 1100 series) and buy a higher-end, like a 1170.
    Im currently using a i5 3570k with a 1080gtx, cpu still holds up, the gpu tears through the newest games, the cpu does as well as it needs to, never really reaching 100% usage.

Alternatively, the next generation of Intel is increasing the core count, i5's will now have 6 cores versus the 4-core of the last several years, so don't rush for a new cpu either way.
    Last edited by Daethz; 2017-09-30 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mirix View Post
    CPU is not currently overclocked.
    Overclock your CPU and you are fine for WoW and Overwatch. LFR will always be a clusterfuck and WoW raids are pretty horribly optimized so you will never get a perfect 60 fps there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Overclock your CPU and you are fine for WoW and Overwatch. LFR will always be a clusterfuck and WoW raids are pretty horribly optimized so you will never get a perfect 60 fps there.
    This, I wouldnt upgrade your cpu/mb/ram as you will most likely not notice much if anything, especially in wow.

Grab a a new graphics card and call it a day, however, prices are out of this world atm on GTX1060s/RX570s and up.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    This, I wouldnt upgrade your cpu/mb/ram as you will most likely not notice much if anything, especially in wow.

Grab a a new graphics card and call it a day, however, prices are out of this world atm on GTX1060s/RX570s and up.
    Out of this world bad? I need to use Newegg as I have a $280 gift card. I'm okay with a little out of pocket but the GTX1060 is really the top of my budget.

I'm looking to upgrade either my GPU (R9 270X) or my CPU (i5-4690k). I only have the budget for one or the other right now (about $300). Would a GTX 1060 6GB or i5-7600k be a bigger upgrade? I know that WOW is more CPU reliant I'm just unsure which would be the bigger upgrade. CPU is not currently overclocked. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.
    GPU, CPU's havent made the technical leap like GPU's have. I run a 2500k oc'd to 4.5GHz, and while I have a GTX1080 now, I was running with a GTX970 not too long ago. Overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPU.

I am still waiting for the CPU that makes me want to upgrade, nothing that's been released since I got this one(going on 7 years old in February) has screamed I need to upgrade.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2017-09-30 at 06:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Out of this world bad? I need to use Newegg as I have a $280 gift card. I'm okay with a little out of pocket but the GTX1060 is really the top of my budget.
    What games do you play?

You may not need a GTX 1060

What games do you play?

You may not need a GTX 1060
    WOW, Overwatch, D3.

15+ Year Old Account
    a 1050Ti is all you really need. You could go $50 more and get a GTX1060 3GB, 1060 6 GB cards are at roughly $280-300, way overpriced.

But with those games a 1050Ti is all thats needed at 1080p.

a 1050Ti is all you really need. You could go $50 more and get a GTX1060 3GB, 1060 6 GB cards are at roughly $280-300, way overpriced.

But with those games a 1050Ti is all thats needed at 1080p.
    Yea, it's all I 'need' to run them at 1080p but I have a $280 gift card and I figured I might as well get the most bang for my buck.

In that case, get a GTX 1060 6gb (and overclock your CPU, maybe get a beefier cooler)

10+ Year Old Account
    OP your CPU is great and GPU is terribad, GPU is a clear choice upgrade there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, it's all I 'need' to run them at 1080p but I have a $280 gift card and I figured I might as well get the most bang for my buck.
    Spend On !!