5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    People say 1-60 in Vanilla was "the journey" or that levelling "took effort"

In Everquest it was a fucking climb up Mt Everest. Partly because grinding was horrible and partly because when you died you lost XP. Also you did end up deviating from levelling just to do shit with friends.
    I remember Vanilla WoW being called the casual lil brother of EQ at first, and it really was - EQ itself was a casual PVE MMORPG and people who played hardcore PVP MMORPGs looked down at them, too.

I really enjoy levelling in MMORPGs so I do miss this journey, but alas WoW has gotten over it and ruined its levelling experience with weird pacing, odd story elements and way too fast exp gains.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    * The elitist nature that prevented many people from doing large chunks of content
    All content was available to everyone. It required far more effort and input on the players side but you could do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Basically just the fact that it was more of an actual RPG. It used to feel like an adventure rather than just a game.
    Couldn't agree more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beside community - the feel that u are part of actual server and know ppl and ppl know you, nothing
    The 'fake' feel of progress or achievement, the horrible horrible gear (stamina + spirit shield anyone, wtf is spirit doing with str on cloth head), most specs are useless and if u want to be a tank druid, u won't even find gear to do so
    I do admit that even with all 'bad' of vanilla i consider it far better than WoD for example, because WoD content are so low
    I still remember one day I planned to lvl at Tanaris, logged on my warlock (was at Stormwind, I know IF was main capital and I loved it too but I think i was lvling in STV so parked at SW), spent over 30 min to just go to Tanaris (and I HAD the flying point unlocked, so flying straight from Theramore), then logged out without even doing anything, just got tanaris, take quests, vendor stuff/repair, done
    I don't miss that one bit
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    man you seriously cant take a defeat so that you have to gravedigger this thread?
    get you tinted glasses of man....

- - - Updated - - -

AND there is the problem. Sillies like you dont socialize and then blame it on the game when in truth YOU are the FLAW. if you dont make friends these days its because YOU chose not to do so.
    Oh I try, most of the times in LFG and Pugs people don't even answer a simply "hello". Rarely people make enough conversation for me to add them on my friends list.

So there is no "I chose not to", it's more "people don't want to socialize", simply because there is no need for it. Back in Vanilla you kinda had to socialize to get invited to pugs again. And if you got known for being rude, you didn't exactly get prioritized for invites.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Oh I try, most of the times in LFG and Pugs people don't even answer a simply "hello". Rarely people make enough conversation for me to add them on my friends list.

So there is no "I chose not to", it's more "people don't want to socialize", simply because there is no need for it. Back in Vanilla you kinda had to socialize to get invited to pugs again. And if you got known for being rude, you didn't exactly get prioritized for invites.
    Whilst I don't think Classic was necessarily better, nor that you could go back to that without a time machine, it is certainly true that most people do not even respond to hello/hi/etc., and meeting people in WoW is harder than it's ever been.

Classic felt like a world. You had to explore. You had to do things that make sense. Half the quests weren't badly done pop culture ripoffs. When Blizzard did something clever related to pop culture, you appreciated it. It wasn't thrown in your face like Uldum.

Nowadays, the world is just connect-the-dots. Go here, do five things, get sent there, do five more, go over that way, do another five, rinse and repeat until achievement.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Classic felt like a world. You had to explore.
    Yes.

You had to do things that make sense.
    Arguable.

Half the quests weren't badly done pop culture ripoffs. When Blizzard did something clever related to pop culture, you appreciated it. It wasn't thrown in your face like Uldum.
    No.

I played Classic since beta. It was WORSE for pop-culture ripoffs than Legion is. At least with Legion, the references are usually to WoW itself, and it's history/story. In Classic, there were constant pop-culture references of some very, very, very, very stupid and obvious kinds, and they were everywhere. You are rose-tinting things to a ludicrous degree.

Now Uldum was basically a warcrime against humanity. No-one denies that. It was the absolute worst WoW has ever offered up. A shit sandwich to defeat all other shit sandwiches. A zone so monumentally awful, unpleasant, and just downright stupid that it tainted the pop-culture it was ripping off - I can't even look at The Lost Ark the same way any more. That's as bad as it's ever been in WoW. Cataclysm in general was appalling for this kind of thing.

But Classic/Vanilla was no saint here, and Legion is not Cataclysm. It has not been some sort of "downhill progression". It has been a valley with sort of deep narrow river in it. Things got progressively but slowly worse up to Cataclysm (yes, TBC and WotLK are stuffed with pop-culture silly business), but since Cataclysm, which was the deep but narrow river of shit in question, things have gradually improved on this front.

7+ Year Old Account
    Legion is the best World of Warcraft ever have been, but flying has to be removed, I think that people and my self looks at. Vanilla with great positivity since we where on the ground and had to interact with people.

In the end Humans are Ground creatures so that kind of a game works better for our subconscious parts of our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrick View Post
    Legion is the best World of Warcraft ever have been, but flying has to be removed, I think that people and my self looks at. Vanilla with great positivity since we where on the ground and had to interact with people.

In the end Humans are Ground creatures so that kind of a game works better for our subconscious parts of our minds.
    And yet humans are the ones who pioneered the ability for us to fly. This is why you should never try and use a real world argument for a fantasy argument.

That was a really poor argument for why flying should be removed.

And being on the ground didn't force you to interact with people at all. Group questing did. They could have had flying in Vanilla and you would still have interacted with them to group up.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-30 at 01:33 PM.

Categorically false.

Trolled the fuck out of an rp server in both vanilla and tbc and never ever had an issue with getting groups. You didn't have to socialize/communicate much, past organizing the group assuming people weren't complete mouthbreathers

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Categorically false.

Trolled the fuck out of an rp server in both vanilla and tbc and never ever had an issue with getting groups. You didn't have to socialize/communicate much, past organizing the group assuming people weren't complete mouthbreathers
    Well, RP servers are odd. My server back then was a small one, so people knew each other rather well. I was well known and would get a spot in any Premade BGs (I was pretty much only PvPing back then) and didn't have much issues getting a spot in BWL/MC pugs either, because I knew people and people knew me.
    Trolls etc got on "black lists" and had hard times getting into pugs.

Of course it varies from server to server, but that is my experience from Vanilla.

Now you queue up for any group you want, get an invite if you are overclassified for it (AotC for normals etc) or use FakeAchie. And when you're done, you simply leave and never speak to anyone in the raid again.

And as I said earlier, I've tried to start conversations, sometimes someone joins in, but mostly it is just dead silence the whole run except for when someone messes up and the flaming and blaming begins and half the raid leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Well, RP servers are odd. My server back then was a small one, so people knew each other rather well. I was well known and would get a spot in any Premade BGs (I was pretty much only PvPing back then) and didn't have much issues getting a spot in BWL/MC pugs either, because I knew people and people knew me.
    Trolls etc got on "black lists" and had hard times getting into pugs.

Of course it varies from server to server, but that is my experience from Vanilla.

Now you queue up for any group you want, get an invite if you are overclassified for it (AotC for normals etc) or use FakeAchie. And when you're done, you simply leave and never speak to anyone in the raid again.

And as I said earlier, I've tried to start conversations, sometimes someone joins in, but mostly it is just dead silence the whole run except for when someone messes up and the flaming and blaming begins and half the raid leaves.
    Blacklist is revisionist garbage

It was released in 2004.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Categorically false.

Yeah, but why didn't you have an issue?

In my experience, people who trolled didn't have much of an issue for two reasons:

1) They were "incognito" most of the time, on characters they didn't troll much with, or which had forgettable names. I mean, if you troll on your main, and then play an alt, no-one is even going to know to reject you, are they?

2) Troll Fan Club. Every big-time troll had a fanclub of wannabe trolls and/or a guild who thought it was hilarious.

Whereas my experience that people who were just shits, not even trolls, had more problems. I certainly turned people away from a few groups because I knew they were wankers.

Blacklist is revisionist garbage
    Maybe on your server, but my guild had a blacklist and I know other people did too. Not of trolls necessarily though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    In Classic, there were constant pop-culture references of some very, very, very, very stupid and obvious kinds, and they were everywhere. You are rose-tinting things to a ludicrous degree.
    Huh?

I don't remember them being "everywhere". And even the ones that did exist, at most it was just the title of the quest referencing something.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Huh?

I don't remember them being "everywhere". And even the ones that did exist, at most it was just the title of the quest referencing something.
    You should look it up some time. Unfortunately Vanilla WoW is dead, but if you searched for "list of pop culture references" in WoW back when it was alive, you would get pages of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Unfortunately Vanilla WoW is dead
    No it's not?

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/List_o...n_Warcraft/WoW

Just like I said, most of these are just small things like an NPC name, or a quest name.

Why get so butthurt over minor things like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it's the community. While group finder tool is very useful and cross realm lowers queue times I believe that they have really demolished the community. Only place where I still see a strong community is big RP servers because the RP community sticks together.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    No it's not?

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/List_o...n_Warcraft/WoW

Just like I said, most of these are just small things like an NPC name, or a quest name.

Why get so butthurt over minor things like that?
    It's the same way in WoD or Legion, so why get butthurt over that? That's my point. It's no worse now than it was then.

Only Cataclysm has terrible, terrible constant pop-culture references.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    I'd say it's the community. While group finder tool is very useful and cross realm lowers queue times I believe that they have really demolished the community. Only place where I still see a strong community is big RP servers because the RP community sticks together.
    It was the community, but things were already changing, which is why they rolled out the RDF in the first place. I agree re: RP servers, though, and I'm honestly thinking of moving to one.

10+ Year Old Account
    pros;

sense of reward for everyone

character progression for everyone

content stays relevant and not made trivial

The worst part about WoW now is unless your raiding Mythic, everything is trivial garbage that becomes obsolete when a new patch comes out. If your a casual I don't even know why ppl bother farming AP/Gear when catchup/welfare is just as good. Not like you need to farm anything to beat M+ or Normal/Heroic when it's given to you for free.

no really why do people farm 1 week for that 5 ilvl upgrade so they can do M+2 1 second faster when next patch you'l get a 30+ ilvl upgrade for logging on.

cons;

need 40 ppl, 25 tbc. Pain in the ass for casuals to make groups

no flex. Ugh again.

have to spam /2. No premade finder to advertise properly

No CRZ. Dead servers hard to make groups.

Basically LOGISTIC problems everywhere. You fix this logistic problem without touching everything else, the 1% naxx meme never happens.
    Last edited by Daffan; 2017-09-30 at 03:59 PM.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.