15+ Year Old Account
    so question in monster hunter stories does anyone know what the purple scarf is for i cant for the life of me figure it out.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    so question in monster hunter stories does anyone know what the purple scarf is for i cant for the life of me figure it out.
    There's a Great Poogie Monstie to be unlocked and from the screens it seems it wears that scarf - i suppose it's a quest item or similar.

But i've yet to reach endgame nor find all poogie so i don't know what is needed to do.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Ok, i'm playing MHST for a while and i cannot help to have a very precise feeling.

With MH:W the franchise is moving onto more powerful platforms and broader audiance, at least in the west. Also many (especially in this thread XD) complained about the 3DS being way too uncomfortable for this kind of game (i didn't found myself like it, but can agree).

I simply cannot stop thinking about thesurprisingly good execution of MHST - it captures the feeling of the franchise, but detaches from it enough to justify it being a parallel serie with the main games. Also given the pokemon-y structure it finds a really good platform on the 3DS because of the already present multiple similar games, anyway being different enough to guarantee itself a place in the spotlight. Add to this the more "childish" and cartoon-y graphic style that cater more to the usual playerbase tied to the platform and you have a really good product in your hands.

Basically, i'm thinking about the franchise moving the main games to consoles/PC and leaving the Stories games on the Nintendo handhelds that fit better.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Ok, i'm playing MHST for a while and i cannot help to have a very precise feeling.

With MH:W the franchise is moving onto more powerful platforms and broader audiance, at least in the west. Also many (especially in this thread XD) complained about the 3DS being way too uncomfortable for this kind of game (i didn't found myself like it, but can agree).

I simply cannot stop thinking about thesurprisingly good execution of MHST - it captures the feeling of the franchise, but detaches from it enough to justify it being a parallel serie with the main games. Also given the pokemon-y structure it finds a really good platform on the 3DS because of the already present multiple similar games, anyway being different enough to guarantee itself a place in the spotlight. Add to this the more "childish" and cartoon-y graphic style that cater more to the usual playerbase tied to the platform and you have a really good product in your hands.

Basically, i'm thinking about the franchise moving the main games to consoles/PC and leaving the Stories games on the Nintendo handhelds that fit better.
    I loved Stories. I'm not even a huge pokemon fan, but like you said, it was executed so well. However, with the continuation of the Stories anime (what the game is based on) they basically had to decide whether to work on sequel to cover the latest developments or add in DLC almost a year after the japanese launch. Sadly they chose the latter. It doesn't seem like they have any intention to turn the game into its own series. :\
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Long story short I gave up my PS4 and am now regretting it since my friends will be playing only this come next year. I've always wanted to get into the monster hunter series and I feel like maybe this is the time. I've heard it's a difficult game to get into for newcomers. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a PS4 again for this. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by MegasElekmatos View Post
    Long story short I gave up my PS4 and am now regretting it since my friends will be playing only this come next year. I've always wanted to get into the monster hunter series and I feel like maybe this is the time. I've heard it's a difficult game to get into for newcomers. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a PS4 again for this. What do you guys think?
    Its hit or miss. For those of us who really like it its a series where each game is hundreds to possibly a thousand or two hours of gameplay. But for the crowd that go 'omg get hype!' and buy every big release they are not going to enjoy it much. Essentially its boss fights but the bosses run and hide and fly and go eat and sleep and you track them down. It involves repeatedly doing the same hunts hoping parts get broken that give you a chance to carve a certain item needed to make one piece of a set an so on. But the game is an action game where timing is crucial, you cant damage your friends but you can swing a huge sword and knock them all away before they do a huge charged hit for example.

Its a case of the niche game that didn't go the 'dilute it for wider appeal' thing so much yet so its hardcore fans are dedicated enough for it to have over 15 releases in the last 15+ years but at the same time i have seen a lot of the aforementioned 'get hype' crowd that buy everything that gets a little buzz day one drop it outright claiming its 'boring' and 'not the dark souls like i was expecting'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MegasElekmatos View Post
    Its also coming to PC/Xbox if you have either of those.

I wouldn't say its difficult actually. I played this series for the first time on the Wii U. My first introduction was actually ProJared's videos I have linked, but when I saw the game for a few bucks, I bought it and sunk a few hundred hours in.

I didn't have too many issues going into it. Its very easy to learn and figure out IMO. Then again I didn't change my play style alot. I mostly focused on shield/sword which is one of the easier ones.

Just take it one step at a time. Once I hit a wall with a monster who was too good for me, I took a step back, and got some better armor to be a crutch for me. I then beat that monster and many hours later when I was taking on that monster again. I didn't even get hit once by it and made it my bitch.

Playing online with others on the Wii U made it a lot easier too actually. If you really want specific parts, like my branchydios farming, its easy to find a lobby of people who will break the parts needed and kill it in under 10 minutes, maybe even 5, and get you what you need faster.

The only monsters I did not like were the elder dragons or what ever they are referred to as. Mostly because some of the fights are based on using machines rather than your skill which I didn't like. And Ceasedous (big whale guy from Wii U) is all under water and pretty boring.

branchydios is a monster I really want to be in World. No idea if he is yet, but hes a fan fav along with the pickle.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-09-27 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

From the rumour mill Capcoms take appears to be MHW is MH5 but not called it because then if it bombs they can just make another release on the 3ds or switch and call it monhun 5. There is a lot problems at capcom about 'what is our audience' and its been a problem for a few years. In books on japanese game development interviewed developers state Microsoft was pushing a hard 'japanese games are inferior and dont have wide appeal' media narrative around 2008/9 in hopes of forcing eastern studios to panic at a time when the PS3 was finally breaking out and starting to do well while the 360 was starting its downward trend. Apparently intended to make studios take games back to the drawing board for a year to allow buzz to generate for in production games like Halo Reach in a time when Bungie was abandoning the platform exclusivity.
    In a lot of the interviews with Capcom developers they mention how this 'meme warfare' hooked and terrified Shinji Mikami and Keiji Inafune and they changed tactics to 'wider market appeal for the west is the only path to succeed' and thats where things like Resident Evil 5 and 6 ultimately came from. were it not for SF4 and MH3U Capcom would have performed worse than they ever had or would do during this period. Along with other studios like Square Enix that also fell for the media campaign that lead to shocked reactions when Bravely Default made more money than the FF13 sequels commenting "we thought western gamers didnt want games designed for the japanese?" and while some brands did right their course others did not. Inafune and Mikami are describing as 'fleeing to the west' to make The Evil Within and Mighty No.9 while Capcom stated "The Resident Evil audience is too old, from now on we will focus on the minecraft generation who want call of duty style games". All of it compounded to all their games underperforming and Resident Evil being considered by many to be written off as 'used to be good' with the release of 6 that did well enough in sales but was critically received as the worst Capcom release in the longest console generation.

For the most part in recent years developers learnt 'diluting your product doesnt bring in enough to cover all the core audience you push away' and we see that in more tame attempts to lure in a different audience while still trying to sell to the core niche. Resident Evil 7 was a VR experiment clearly riding the popularity of PT, but at its heart its about exploring a spooky mansion in the woods full of obtuse puzzles and monsters. Little more give and take but the risk is still there.

With MHW its clearly the RE7 of monster hunter. Its a little more mainstream friendly but at its core i look at it and at MHXX on my switch and the core mechanics of both are still the same even if some of the ways they function are different.

The big question of course is if this is both a commercial and critical success do they rebrand it to MH5 or do they follow it up with a MHW2 and we just stop seeing a continuous numbered brand?

-and more to the point what if its a hit in the west but in its core asia audience its a bomb since not enough people play console or pc games over there?

I think the game is an interesting experiment at an interesting point in Capcoms history. What follows after it however is going to be even more interesting both as a monhun fan and someone who follows videogame development history.

10+ Year Old Account

And its not a shock to see why he is a fan fav. Hes awesome.

Pickle is def one hell of a monster too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    From the rumour mill Capcoms take appears to be MHW is MH5 but not called it because then if it bombs they can just make another release on the 3ds or switch and call it monhun 5. There is a lot problems at capcom about 'what is our audience' and its been a problem for a few years. In books on japanese game development interviewed developers state Microsoft was pushing a hard 'japanese games are inferior and dont have wide appeal' media narrative around 2008/9 in hopes of forcing eastern studios to panic at a time when the PS3 was finally breaking out and starting to do well while the 360 was starting its downward trend. Apparently intended to make studios take games back to the drawing board for a year to allow buzz to generate for in production games like Halo Reach in a time when Bungie was abandoning the platform exclusivity.
    In a lot of the interviews with Capcom developers they mention how this 'meme warfare' hooked and terrified Shinji Mikami and Keiji Inafune and they changed tactics to 'wider market appeal for the west is the only path to succeed' and thats where things like Resident Evil 5 and 6 ultimately came from. were it not for SF4 and MH3U Capcom would have performed worse than they ever had or would do during this period. Along with other studios like Square Enix that also fell for the media campaign that lead to shocked reactions when Bravely Default made more money than the FF13 sequels commenting "we thought western gamers didnt want games designed for the japanese?" and while some brands did right their course others did not. Inafune and Mikami are describing as 'fleeing to the west' to make The Evil Within and Mighty No.9 while Capcom stated "The Resident Evil audience is too old, from now on we will focus on the minecraft generation who want call of duty style games". All of it compounded to all their games underperforming and Resident Evil being considered by many to be written off as 'used to be good' with the release of 6 that did well enough in sales but was critically received as the worst Capcom release in the longest console generation.

For the most part in recent years developers learnt 'diluting your product doesnt bring in enough to cover all the core audience you push away' and we see that in more tame attempts to lure in a different audience while still trying to sell to the core niche. Resident Evil 7 was a VR experiment clearly riding the popularity of PT, but at its heart its about exploring a spooky mansion in the woods full of obtuse puzzles and monsters. Little more give and take but the risk is still there.

With MHW its clearly the RE7 of monster hunter. Its a little more mainstream friendly but at its core i look at it and at MHXX on my switch and the core mechanics of both are still the same even if some of the ways they function are different.

The big question of course is if this is both a commercial and critical success do they rebrand it to MH5 or do they follow it up with a MHW2 and we just stop seeing a continuous numbered brand?

-and more to the point what if its a hit in the west but in its core asia audience its a bomb since not enough people play console or pc games over there?

I think the game is an interesting experiment at an interesting point in Capcoms history. What follows after it however is going to be even more interesting both as a monhun fan and someone who follows videogame development history.
    While I Disagree to the reasoning, I agree with the premise. A lot of Japanese companies were pretty stagnant in the prior gen and stuck to overly done anime styled convoluted plots and boring characters. They were not making grand new releases and mostly doing more of the same. Thanks to that kick in the teeth, we got some reinvigorated Japanese studios really going all out, fuck, even Nintendo is taking things up a notch with the Switch and the games they have made. I mean sure, Zelda is not the best open world game out there, not be a long shot, but the world itself is certainly one of the most interactive with physics that make sense and actually add to gameplay (like cheating in shines that focus on electricity by dropping metal weapons, or setting everything on fire)
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-09-27 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Pickle is def one hell of a monster too.
    I can't wait to find and ride one in MH:Stories.

I shall name him RagePickle and he shall be my Pickle of doom!
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I can't wait to find and ride one in MH:Stories.

I shall name him RagePickle and he shall be my Pickle of doom!
    Pickle is great for the offline arena i have a 9 gene one with its dragon damage super boosted so its spread dragon breath does around 400 damage which basically wipes out 2 hearts in any arena fight.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright so I actually preordered off Amazon and it will be at my door on release day "which Amazon has not updated so I will have to deal with that later"

Amazon has a special where if you sign up for amazon music, you get 10 dollars off your next purchase. So i did that, canceled amazon music and thanks to the other promotion, got MH:W for 40 bucks after taxes.

https://www.thrifter.com/music-unlimited

links though here to get the monz
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-09-29 at 01:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Cant wait, buying 2 ps4's one for me and my girl to play together
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Cant wait, buying 2 ps4's one for me and my girl to play together
    It should be a good time

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    It should be a good time
    Yep, shes a first timer on monster hunter too
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    teach her all the tricks!

Make sure she chooses a Lance as her weapon.

Also haven't seen you in awhile, you don't post in anime thread anymore so I never got to ask, how's the turtle bro?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swisted View Post
    Make sure she chooses a Lance as her weapon.

Also haven't seen you in awhile, you don't post in anime thread anymore so I never got to ask, how's the turtle bro?
    The lance is fucking trash. Make her play a real man's weapon. Like the longsword

10+ Year Old Account
    You're all wrong!

Pick any weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The lance is fucking trash. Make her play a real man's weapon. Like the longsword
    Longsword is a great beginner weapon, yes.