Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    Do you interpret Suramar with flight to be "immersive"?
    The immersion factor of Suramar has improved with flight 10 fold. No longer do I need to portal back to the hub only to portal to another area of Suramar - it was immersion breaking. No more "what are you hiding? nevermind you walked out of my detection radius".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Poorly

I'm fine with pathfinder if it's available from the start of the xpac, max level flying is the best system though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    Best case scenario:
    Get level cap -> Walk to an NPC at (Insert Base Camp/Hut/What not Here) give the NPC XXXX Gold -> Fly in the sky.
    Thats the worst scenario. Best scenario would be an achivement you can get right at the start.
    2nd best the way it was handled in legion.

I couldn't care less about flying. If we need it to get places then we have it, otherwise I prefer to play close to the ground, fighting things. I don't play warcraft to skip everything, I want to carve a path ^.^

Pretty funny watching all the babies whine about it though. xD

Probably as it is now but perhaps the Pathfinder achievement will be available after the first 3-4 months.

I like how it is handled currently. No flying for current content, being able to fly for previous content to get things done faster. Makes sense to me. Either way, I'm more concerned about expansion content, Legion's amount of content was pretty good (other than Broken Chore...), but I'd like to see even more dungeons added in between patches and more mini-raids like ToV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Poorly

I'm fine with pathfinder if it's available from the start of the xpac, max level flying is the best system though.
    Kinda my thoughts on the issue.

If Argus is any indication of how zones will be designed in the new expac I am definitely going to main a rogue or feral druid.... stealthing past mobs, is faster then using a mount .. getting dismounted having to fight said mobs ..
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao.. you literally used the best example of why flight in Suramar invalidates intended game mechanics as evidence for your enhanced immersion?? I think I understand why you're a Putin apologist now.
    We were talking about immersion, were we not? Intended game mechanics in Suramar broke immersion. Exactly my point. LMAO
    A teleportation network created by Oculeth, at your base of operations, to reach multiple areas of interests by which you can execute your Nightfallen campaign breaks immersion? Do you want the portals to be in disparate areas across the landscape? Maybe one portal to drop you at the bottom of the Great Sea? Or instead of building an insurrection, we'll just have you drop in from the sky like The Greatest American Hero.
    Those teleports were implemented as a testament of devs recognizing that without flying Suramar is a pain in the ass to navigate. That's the ONLY reason for those teleports. Because had we had flying - there would be no need for them. And they do break immersion:
    A. In how you use them to hop around Suramar, hop in kill targets, hop out, hop in kill targets, hop out. Does it remind you of anything? but in this case it's too fucking unreal.
    B. How come only GOOD GUYS can use them? Why do enemies IGNORE them and not, you know, rush into them to eliminate the leadership of the insurrection.

And yes, instead of The Insurrection the ENTIRE COMBINED ARMY OF THE AZEROTH CONSISTING OF THE CHAMPIONS OF AZEROTH, should have just SWOOPED IN ON SURAMAR AND RAPED EVERYONE INSIDE, screaming "WE ARE NOT FUCKING HIDING!".

Immersion is right next to LOGIC.

The entire Suramar campaign is STUPID. Beautiful but stupid.
    You clearly don't care about immersion given this ass-backwards response. You just want your cheatmode so you can bypass literally any credible obstacle.
    I care about immersion more than you know what immersion is.

You see I am the champion of my faction a hero who has several dead gods under my belt. During my tour of duty in Outland I adopted a jade netherdrake called Zoye. We are a good match she and I. We've been thru a lot. We patrol the airspace over Suramar and whenever we see a baddy doing the nasty we swoop in on them, Zoye drops me off on top of a guard (who sees me and screams "WHY ARE THEY NOT EVEN HIDING") and flies away as the streets of Suramar are too narrow for her, I kill the baddies and call her down to pick me up before the alerted guards swoop in on me and we fly away right into the fucking Argus. (LIKE IN A FUCKING WARCRAFT THE MOVIE)

There's nothing immersion breaking about swooping in on a flying mount. IN fact it's the most immersive thing since sliced bread.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2017-10-01 at 11:57 AM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

As a point of order, I want to make it clear that I wasn't the one who started this topic again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Poorly

I don't agree at all. Trying to make flying something that's so binary is proven to work poorly. Designing the content and encounters without taking flight into consideration, then dumping flight into the equation is just going to result in the "helicopter" effect that everyone seems to think is the worst thing ever.

If WoW is going to have flying at all, then every aspect of the content where flying is available needs to be built to recognize and use it. This doesn't mean that flying needs to be available EVERYWHERE. But when it is, EVERY ASPECT needs to recognize that players will be flying.

That means the placement of mobs, treasures, terrain, quest items, and gathering nodes.
    Monster AI, speed, and pathing has to has to be able to handle a player character moving at high speeds on multiple axis.
    The mechanics of combat detection, mounting up, dismount/daze rules, and falling damage have to be addressed and planned for.
    The core mechanics of flying itself probably need to be updated to make more sense, instead of just being a virtual god mode.

Just dropping flight, as it is now, into content without thought is only going to repeat the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    As a point of order, I want to make it clear that I wasn't the one who started this topic again.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't agree at all. Trying to make flying something that's so binary is proven to work poorly. Designing the content and encounters without taking flight into consideration, then dumping flight into the equation is just going to result in the "helicopter" effect that everyone seems to think is the worst thing ever.

If WoW is going to have flying at all, then every aspect of the content where flying is available needs to be built to recognize and use it. This doesn't mean that flying needs to be available EVERYWHERE. But when it is, EVERY ASPECT needs to recognize that players will be flying.

That means the placement of mobs, treasures, terrain, quest items, and gathering nodes.
    Monster AI, speed, and pathing has to has to be able to handle a player character moving at high speeds on multiple axis.
    The mechanics of combat detection, mounting up, dismount/daze rules, and falling damage have to be addressed and planned for.
    The core mechanics of flying itself probably need to be updated to make more sense, instead of just being a virtual god mode.

Just dropping flight, as it is now, into content without thought is only going to repeat the same problems.
    It's not god mode, that's blatant hyperbole, it's a travel mechanic, Wrath and MoP are the best xpacs ever and they were designed with flying in mind.

The end of the day this is a game not a job, I don't want to artificially inflate my travel time so blizzard can slow their content down, IMO people like you are why this game is in a worse place than it used to be, hollow shitty content that lasts longer than it should, not because of flying but because people are willing to accept artificial inflation as "content."

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It all depends where the expansion is based.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're petulant children about flying. So they'll lock it behind bullshit achievements and reps. They're still mad at players for disagreeing with them about flying. Don't expect them to change.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I hope there is no flying in the next expansion and that it is set up for ground mounts ... flying is boring in my view. It is nice to have on alts but that's it.

Flying is fun, but for me it trivializes the game ... it is funny that pro-flying advocates that are the most vocal also are the anti-LFG people.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

In my opinion they should remove flying from ALL zones except Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.

They tried to remove flying in Wod it barely lastet a week.
    The best thing was they just released a new flying mount for their shop one week prior to it.

The huge count of dislikes in the video is a memento of this desaster.

I don't see the point of restricting flight at max level anymore. There's so many portals, hearthstones, flight points and ways to teleport around the land that they should just just let it...fly. Ahaha. The whole argument "BUT YOU'RE SKIPPING ART AND CONTENT HURR DURR" is so bullshit at this point that my room starts smelling like it whenever I read it.

Restrict it on PVP servers though to some degree maybe, like if you engage in combat with players you can't fly for the next minute.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would rather they let us buy it at nax level for gold lioe bc and wrath. I hate no flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be the same as it was in Legion; a meta-achievement to clear it, then it'll be unlocked when the designers choose.

I'll be extremely shocked if it's otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    yah but remember Legion was well into development, when Blizzard was still under the delusion that they could pull off no flying in WoD or any future content.

Only time will tell and I am hoping for the best....

It's already been said that the achievement path is how they plan to move forward... they said it before Legion even launched, and falling back on the trope that 'legion was well into development' is an excuse... certainly you didn't miss where it was said they were working two expansions ahead meaning (they have been working on 9.0 for a while).

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Badly?

I can't wait for them to make more pocketed areas to hold your hand during leveling and torment you during the rest of your play time and think they did a great job.