Thread: The Draenei

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    in'alah was used by Arcanist Thalyssra when you were exploring Suramar hideout. And from context it means "light on" since after this lights went on. What sounds similar is: ishnu-alah and ishnu-dal-dieb both being Darnassian - language of Night Elves (meaning "good fortune to you" and "good fortune to your family" respectively). This is very similar to arabic ansha allah (god willing) but I digress.

Most common Draenei language examples are: dioniss aca (safe journey) and krona ki cristorr (the Legion will fall); which (for me at least) sound grekish.
    Last edited by RadmaKanow; 2017-10-02 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    They always struck me as the hard drinking fighting Irish stereotype.
    The stereotype is right, but they're scottish, not irish. Scots have the same stereotype associated with them.

Deleted
    Pretty sure draenei were supposed to have a really distant and weird accent, because they CAME FROM THE OUTTER SPACE. They crash landed in the middle of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Because most races in the World of Warcraft, has a connection to something in real life.

Everyone does. Well, actually, maybe not gnomes, they belong in the dirt.
    True about the gnomes.

I think WoW's races kind of follow the same sort of mishmash that George Lucas used for Star Wars aliens. Each has a sort of similarity to real life sections of the world, but aren't really meant to be exact copies of the language.

Just don't look at their booty and you won't get hypnotized.
    I have built up a resistance by playing a female tauren for years. As Aku would say....:

I think they sound eastern european, really. Bordering around the 'gypsy' kindda thing ,I guess.
    That's kinda what I figured as well. Also, maybe sounds a little bit like Tali from Mass Effect? But that might just because I like the character.... >_>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Hwat.

Is this really how russians sound to you?
    Their names and dance are sort of arabic/hindi , but their accent is clearly rusian. Arabics don't pronounce "R" that strong.

5+ Year Old Account
    Why are trolls Jamaican? Why are tauren native american? Why are worgen old world british? Why are dwarves irish? Why is there a korean temple in Darnassus?
    everyone in pandaria is chinese/japanese
    (including the fish people lol. that was kind of awkward as a race. would the jin'yu eat sushi? 'gonna skip out on the sashimi Chen, soz. i know, i bet its delicious. gotta watch for those dietary restrictions, haha. glub glub.')

lets not forget all the goblins are new york mobsters/stock traders/engineering enthusiasts. time is money, broskovitsz. oh vey.

and all of the elves are dirty hippies (/oxhorn).

Y'know its almost as if we're in some kind of world............
    of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    everyone in pandaria is chinese/japanese
    (including the fish people lol. that was kind of awkward as a race. would the jin'yu eat sushi? 'gonna skip out on the sashimi Chen, soz. i know, i bet its delicious. gotta watch for those dietary restrictions, haha. glub glub.')

lets not forget all the goblins are new york mobsters/stock traders/engineering enthusiasts. time is money, broskovitsz. oh vey.

and all of the elves are dirty hippies (/oxhorn).

Y'know its almost as if we're in some kind of world............
    of warcraft.
    Of all the men of Azeorth I must say...
    that my least favorite race is the elf.

Yeah, lots of East Asian culture in the pandaren. All the yaungol are obviously the Mongols.

Quote Originally Posted by RadmaKanow View Post
    Most common Draenei language examples are: dioniss aca (safe journey) and krona ki cristorr (the Legion will fall); which (for me at least) sound grekish.
    Because draenei are inspired by Byzantine era Greece. There are draenei characters named after greek heroes. Their titles like Exarch and Anchorite are Greek in origin. They're more advanced than other nations for their time. And are highly religions. Shattrath=Constantinople, Karabor=Hagia Sophia.

Though their propensity for double vowels in names seems Finnish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Pajeet? Indian? Draenei? Lets not mix the dance with what race resembles.
    Female Goblin - dances like Beyonce, speaks like Italian, looks green.
    Accent fits to.

Deleted
    I find it more eastern european than Indian. Compare Draenei accent to Apu from Kwik-E-Mart from Simpsons. There is a difference.
    Because it is badly voiced indian accent.
    Anyway, they sound ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are dwarves irish?
    Get tae fuck irish

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Draenei are just a mixture of this area as a whole.
    yep, that's how ive always thought of them
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's pretty clear they're Slavs. They just need the squat.

Deleted
    Their accent is not russian. I'm not sure where you people are getting that from. They are meant to sound like gypsies and they sound exactly that. Or to be more precise, they sound like rumanian gypsies.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Why do these space squid-goats sound like they're from the middle east? I've always wondered that.
    Who knew Russia was in the middle-east.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    Who knew Russia was in the middle-east.
    Really, just stop it.

And in comparison, here's russian accent.

Last edited by mmocfb2225cee0; 2017-10-02 at 02:09 PM.

Why are trolls Jamaican? Why are tauren native american? Why are worgen old world british? Why are dwarves irish? Why is there a korean temple in Darnassus?
    Every single aspect of every single things created by man can be linked to something that already exists. We can't invent something we don't know, all we do is modify something that already exists, over and over until it actually becomes something else but it's always possible to track where the inspiration comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Really, just stop it.

And in comparison, here's russian accent.

It's a Russian based accent. Like with most regional accents in WoW, it's poorly done. The Dwarves are a good example - their accents are supposed to be Scottish, but let me tell you, NOBODY actually sounds like that in Scotland. The accents in WoW are generically done, so they rarely sound like what Blizzard intend them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Why do these space squid-goats sound like they're from the middle east? I've always wondered that.
    They are basically what Blizzard think Russians sound like then they speak English. Like the Worgens have awful fake "cockney" accents, because that's how most Americans and Blizzard think English people speak like, as if South London covers the whole of the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Female Goblin - dances like Beyonce, speaks like Italian, looks green.
    They sound absolutely nothing like an Italian. They DO sound like an American trying to talk like a New York mafia gangster moll.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career